What are the chances of getting into an MPH program at a UC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmae1126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I really need advice on what to do. I am really interested in getting my MPH in Health Policy and Management at a UC, but I have a super low overall GPA due to the fact in my sophomore year, I was a Biology major (it wasn't the Bio class that were hard, it was the Calculus classes that messed my GPA up).

At first I wasn't worried because I thought that if you had good work/internship experience, a great GRE score, and an upward trend on the last two years of your transcript then you can be accepted into a good program. Now, I'm looking at people's overall GPA on the forums here, and I have become EXTREMELY worried. What I'm also worried about is the fact that I went to a Cal State for undergrad. None of my peers at school aspire to go to a UC for grad school, and now I know why. I just feel that I have potential to go to a UC instead of CSU for grad school.

Here are my statistics:

Major Health Science (w/ a concentration in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention)
GPA:
Average: 3.37 (it all goes right, it will be a 3.4)
Major: 3.88 (hopefully will become over 3.9 after this semester)
GRE: taking it August

Experience:
-2+ years interning as a Health Scholar in the COPE Heath Scholar Program (over 500 hours)
-Leadership in the COPE Health Scholar Program (Admin Coordinator)
-Research intern for a non-profit in Orange County- (community-based participatory research on social determinants of health)
-Internship at Environmental Health and Safety (enforcing the smoke free policy on campus)
-Worked at a tutoring center for more than a year
-Worked for AmeriCoprs as a Jumpstart Corps Member for a year (over 300 hours)
-Just got accepted into an internship with the CDC this summer for Public Health.

Because I went to a CSU, the research opportunities in my school were very little. The few research opportunities available would go to either MPH students or Spanish speakers (both of which I am not). I thought I was even lucky to find a research opportunity outside of campus in Orange County.

Now, I feel that no matter what, my application will be looked down upon because of my undergrad school and my overall GPA. I am taking a gap year to gain work experience and will be studying for the GRE over the summer. What else should I do just to even have a chance at a UC for MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you can afford it, there's no harm in applying to the schools you are less confident about as well as a couple backups. I do not know specifically about UC schools, but I think your experience makes you an above average applicant to MPH programs in general. This forum skews heavily on the high achieving end, so playing the comparison game isn't always useful. Health Policy/Management tracks also focus less on quant ability than other tracks, so your low calc grades will matter less.

Facts are, your GPA and where you go to undergrad aren't going to change (much). So, focus on killing it during your internship and work experience in your year off. Get strong recommendations from the most connected supervisors you will have. Use the experiences to write a personal statement that focuses on your academic and professional strengths and your personal story instead of trying to explain or compensate for what you see as areas of weakness. Take time to visit campuses, connect with students, admissions reps, and professors if you feel comfortable doing so. Get as high of a GRE score as you can, as this can sometimes offset a low GPA in the eyes of adcoms.

Good luck!

MPH schools look at the bigger picture, and will take into account your personal statement. I definitely did not have a 3.5+ gpa, did well on my GRE (around the average scores that the "top 5" public health programs list), and did not have a ton of public health experience (besides one volunteer internship that involves public health), but I was still accepted into very competitive schools. I wouldn't focus on the aspect that you went to a CSU to deter you from applying. Like the above user said, study well for your GRE, focus on your internship, and write a personal statement that kicks ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above comments. To me it seems like you have a lot of good experience. Forget about the negative and focus on the positive aspects of your background. Specifically, just forget about your gpa, and don't bring it up when you talk to admissions people, professors, etc. Be proud of the fact that you went to a state school and focus on making the best case for admission that you can. Confidence goes a long way. Happy to give more advice if you want it.

I agree with the advice from the above posters. I also went to a CSU, and definitely know where you are coming from. I feel you have some strong experiences that would make you a competitive applicant.

For me, I had a high GPA, but I was scared that because I went to a CSU, it wouldn't meant a lot. My GRE scores were ok. And my experiences were ok too. I went in thinking I didnt really have a chance at these schools. In the end, I got into all the schools I applied, including Brown and some other top ranked schools for public health. What I felt made my application stronger were my letter of recs and my personal statement.

With your gap year, definitely try to get the best scores you can for you GRE. Try to find professors and/or supervisors who know you very well. For you personal statement, show your passion for public health and how this degree is important for you to achieve your goals.

I would assume you would be going for Cal and UCLA. I actually didn't apply to these schools because it didn't fit my interests, but I kind of wish I applied for the heck of it. I feel you have a good shot with these schools. I know cal has a little more emphasis on experience/ full time work for their application.

So don't sweat it. You will be fine. Good luck.