What are the benefits for working in the military as a dentist? Not HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I don't get my 3 hr HPSP, is working for the military for a few years still worth it? In terms of finances and helping out with the debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Couple problems:

1) In order to get hired as a GS dentist you have to have at least 1 year experience
2) Civilian spots don't open up very frequently since the majority of the clinic is staffed by military dentists - may not be an option for you in a certain geographic area.

Otherwise it will likely be similar to working in a large group practice in the civilian world - the main benefit is production does not affect your salary.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't do it for financial reasons. If money is your goal go find a job in one of the rural Midwest areas where they pay a lot and work your butt off for a few years. Then once loans are paid off you have options. Military is only financially "worth it" if they paid off school loans because the base salary isn't that much by itself compared to civilian world.