What are some DO schools that accept lower MCAT? with 3.6+ cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard to target some of the new schools and the VCOMs. Any other advice? I take the MCAT the 28th of this month and I am just terrified if I get a poor score. I tried my best studying while working full time. I just want to get a idea of schools that potentially accept low MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if I would go into the test with that frame of mind. Yeah, a school may accept a lower MCAT, but what happens if you score lower than the lowest they will accept because of the mentality that you have right now? What then?

I worked full time while studying also. It wasn't easy and I struggled with it as well. Though, I like to think about it this way, and this is what pushed me to keep going: what's going to happen when you begin to prepare for Step 1 or study for a difficult med school test? Are you going to have the same mindset? Pushing through now is going to allow you to prove to yourself that YES you can really do this!

Reactions: 1 user
There is no correlation between a mental frame of mind and a good score. If that mental frame of mind is manifested from inadequate preparation, then that's a different problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no correlation between a mental frame of mind and a good score. If that mental frame of mind is manifested from inadequate preparation, then that's a different problem.

Still, though, it is not good to go into a test with that kind of mind frame. Take the test when you feel very sure of yourself. There might be no study/correlation, but it is good to go in confident than not.

If you're terrified that you'll get a low score, then you haven't prepared enough... in which case, the latter part of your statement would, then, apply to you.

This test is very much so based on confidence and mental stamina.

I was only attempting to encourage you. I apologize for overstepping your ego.

So someone absolutely terrified of failure with significant test anxiety will score the same as someone that is calm and confident if they're studied the exact same amount of time?

Interesting

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard to target some of the new schools and the VCOMs. Any other advice? I take the MCAT the 28th of this month and I am just terrified if I get a poor score. I tried my best studying while working full time. I just want to get a idea of schools that potentially accept low MCAT?
If you're absolutely sure you'll score very low you should reconsider taking but I'll answer your question OP.

If you do end up getting a lower than expected MCAT score, aim for the newest schools.

Some that come to mind right off the bat are:
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
KCU-Joplin

I'm probably missing a few. Take a look at when each school was established and you'll have a better answer. Here's to hoping that your MCAT is as high as possible. :prof:

Reactions: 2 users
The newest schools.

There is no correlation between a mental frame of mind and a good score.

You will get a low score because I predict psych/soc will be very difficult for you. If you are terrified of getting a low score you haven't studied enough.

So someone absolutely terrified of failure with significant test anxiety will score the same as someone that is calm and confident if they're studied the exact same amount of time?

Interesting

Lol no.

Reactions: 3 users
as long as you dont get below a 500 and you have a great GPA with good ECs, letters, i believe you can get in as long as you apply early, broadly, and to the new schools.

I had a 3.6 GPA 501 MCAT and above average ECCs. I managed to get 6 interviews this cycle. I am currently balancing multiple acceptances and a waitlist. Get above a 500 and apply as early as you possibly can and you will have a good shot at some interview invites. I will say though if you feel like you haven't had enough time to prepare it might be worth rescheduling. If it is at all possible try and work part time while studying. This is your future you're talking about. Do everything you can to get a good MCAT score if becoming a physician is what you really want to do.

If you're absolutely sure you'll score very low you should reconsider taking but I'll answer your question OP.

If you do end up getting a lower than expected MCAT score, aim for the newest schools.

Some that come to mind right off the bat are:
BCOM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
KCU-Joplin

I'm probably missing a few. Take a look at when each school was established and you'll have a better answer. Here's to hoping that your MCAT is as high as possible. :prof:

Add ATSU-SOMA to that list

What is the general consensus of a "low score"?

What is the general consensus of a "low score"?

Depends. I would say anything 500 and below to be "low". But you can still get in with that score. For MD I would say anything below 508 is low unless you live in one of those lucky states. "Low" is subjective to the situation though, a 503 is the matriculant average and will get you into most DO schools but would be considered low for the midwesterns.

Get your score first then come back, loll. Overall number and breakdown of sub-section scores are important info.