What are my residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1rxa

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations to everyone who matched during the first wave! I know you guys would do great things :)

Btw, I am currently a P2 in a 3-year school and going into APPE on May. I know time is going by so fast, so as the residency applications are due in less than one year. I just wanted to know how people think about my chances into potentially matching one. My interests include acute care, inclined in infectious disease.
1. Currently working as an intern at a local pharmacy
2. Research investigator in an infectious disease research
3. Student leadership - fraternity fundraising chair and class secretary
4. Volunteer - health fairs, drug abuse presentations

I don't feel as competitive because I started late on volunteering and student leadership. I decided pretty late too on going into residency :|

I would greatly appreciate your honest feedback and please let me know what else I can do to be a more competitive candidate. Thanks a lot!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem pretty well-rounded, which is good. "Competitive" is subjective depending on where you want to end up - do you want to be at a large academic medical institution? Do a lot of acute care rotations, and do well. Get your LOR from these acute care preceptors. Keep your GPA up, present a poster at a conference. Try to get some hospital intern experience if you have time. Just check all the boxes. You'll be fine.

Just from experience with Match this year, I can't really say much about your chances based on the information you've given alone. I know a lot of people that had amazing experiences (both work and volunteer) that did not match even with decent grades. I guess if anything my best advice is to focus on things that will decrease your match chance since it seems you are already building good experiences.

1) Bad or Anything Not Outstanding Letters of Recommendations - I have a friend who had a great GPA (3.8), presidency position, great writing style/communication, good cover letter and experiences. But he suspected one of his letter writers shafted him. Got 1 interview and 7 flat rejections.

2) No leadership/volunteer with mediocre grades (<3.5 GPA) - I think you covered yourself here. Keep it up. I don't think number of different opportunities matter so much as what you did during them and how you talk about them.

3) Applying for most competitive programs only - Even among residency programs (although each one is competitive), there are popular ones and not so popular ones. Don't get cocky when applying. I know a 4.0 GPA valedictorian with leadership, great letters, awesome volunteer experiences that only applied to two of the best (most popular) programs in the nation, interviewed at both, but got passed up for more local candidates. She ended up matching first choice in scramble.

4) Didn't invest enough time into learning about programs. Start early and don't stop. Meet your programs at midyear (or regional meetings they may showcase at). E-mail the RPD and current residents. Learn and ask questions about the program. This is just my opinion but if your application is the first time they see or hear about you, you are already at a disadvantage.

5) Don't apply to programs that don't fit your interest. My strategy was to list out three things I absolutely wanted in a residency. I applied to programs that had at least 2/3.

6) Bad Interview - Can't really help here except know about program and be personable. Don't be extreme in your opinions. Make them laugh (if you can) in a professional way in the right situation. Be modest, but not too modest.

Too long didn't read version
-
Have outstanding letters
- Don't just focus on grades
- Be reasonable about your expectations
- Learn as much about programs as possible
- Don't apply to programs outside your interest

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You seem pretty well-rounded, which is good. "Competitive" is subjective depending on where you want to end up - do you want to be at a large academic medical institution? Do a lot of acute care rotations, and do well. Get your LOR from these acute care preceptors. Keep your GPA up, present a poster at a conference. Try to get some hospital intern experience if you have time. Just check all the boxes. You'll be fine.
Thank you for the response! I am leaning towards a smaller institution, possibly a teaching facility.
My rotations before the applications are due are ID, emergency, ambcare and oncology. I was lucky to get these rotations because our school had to do a lottery. I guess, I just have to work really hard then. hehehe. thanks again!!!

Just from experience with Match this year, I can't really say much about your chances based on the information you've given alone. I know a lot of people that had amazing experiences (both work and volunteer) that did not match even with decent grades. I guess if anything my best advice is to focus on things that will decrease your match chance since it seems you are already building good experiences.

1) Bad or Anything Not Outstanding Letters of Recommendations - I have a friend who had a great GPA (3.8), presidency position, great writing style/communication, good cover letter and experiences. But he suspected one of his letter writers shafted him. Got 1 interview and 7 flat rejections.

2) No leadership/volunteer with mediocre grades (<3.5 GPA) - I think you covered yourself here. Keep it up. I don't think number of different opportunities matter so much as what you did during them and how you talk about them.

3) Applying for most competitive programs only - Even among residency programs (although each one is competitive), there are popular ones and not so popular ones. Don't get cocky when applying. I know a 4.0 GPA valedictorian with leadership, great letters, awesome volunteer experiences that only applied to two of the best (most popular) programs in the nation, interviewed at both, but got passed up for more local candidates. She ended up matching first choice in scramble.

4) Didn't invest enough time into learning about programs. Start early and don't stop. Meet your programs at midyear (or regional meetings they may showcase at). E-mail the RPD and current residents. Learn and ask questions about the program. This is just my opinion but if your application is the first time they see or hear about you, you are already at a disadvantage.

5) Don't apply to programs that don't fit your interest. My strategy was to list out three things I absolutely wanted in a residency. I applied to programs that had at least 2/3.

6) Bad Interview - Can't really help here except know about program and be personable. Don't be extreme in your opinions. Make them laugh (if you can) in a professional way in the right situation. Be modest, but not too modest.

Too long didn't read version
-
Have outstanding letters
- Don't just focus on grades
- Be reasonable about your expectations
- Learn as much about programs as possible
- Don't apply to programs outside your interest
Thank you for the detailed reply! I couldn't agree more with what you said. Setting my expectations right would be the best way to do it. :)
I got lucky with the rotation sites I got so I guess, I just have to work hard on it.

Do you have any questions on what to ask program directors?
Here are some questions that I have in mind:
1. Teaching opportunities
2. Research opportunities

Thanks again!!!

Thank you for the detailed reply! I couldn't agree more with what you said. Setting my expectations right would be the best way to do it. :)
I got lucky with the rotation sites I got so I guess, I just have to work hard on it.

Do you have any questions on what to ask program directors?
Here are some questions that I have in mind:
1. Teaching opportunities
2. Research opportunities

Thanks again!!!

Aside from avoiding bad questions (stuff found on website/brochure, benefits, stuff not related to program...) I think just focusing on your interests will take you in the right direction. That's why I found it particularly helpful to narrow down my interests to 2-3 specific topics.

Same as you, one of my specific interests was teaching so I would ask programs if they were affiliated with a university, whether they accept rotation students, and anything else related to that interest. I think rather than focus on specific "go to questions" just tailor your questions to what you want out of the program. So if your passion is research, consider asking what research the residents are working on, whether they look at outcomes, where they present (conference?), anything really. I think that doubly benefits you as it will show you whether that program will fit your needs.

As an aside, I think the best thing working in your favor is that you are thinking about this now :)

Aside from avoiding bad questions (stuff found on website/brochure, benefits, stuff not related to program...) I think just focusing on your interests will take you in the right direction. That's why I found it particularly helpful to narrow down my interests to 2-3 specific topics.

Same as you, one of my specific interests was teaching so I would ask programs if they were affiliated with a university, whether they accept rotation students, and anything else related to that interest. I think rather than focus on specific "go to questions" just tailor your questions to what you want out of the program. So if your passion is research, consider asking what research the residents are working on, whether they look at outcomes, where they present (conference?), anything really. I think that doubly benefits you as it will show you whether that program will fit your needs.

As an aside, I think the best thing working in your favor is that you are thinking about this now :)
Thank you for all the advice!! I will keep you guys posted on my journey :D

Just to add that also being unique and having something "different" is also equally important - and what I mean by this is that if you feel you have a strength then show it and focus on that.

I didn't have any of the things you listed but I feel my educational background, coupled with strong recommendations, and some unique circumstances were really integral for me in the match. I can't stress the recommendations part and really ask people you trust.

Best of luck to you; you are on the right path.

I highly advise you really assess your interests throughout P3 and P4 and really understand what a residency is and what you want out of it - that will be integral in doing well.

Last edited:
Just to add that also being unique and having something "different" is also equally important - and what I mean by this is that if you feel you have a strength then show it and focus on that.

I didn't have any of the things you listed but I feel my educational background, coupled with strong recommendations, and some unique circumstances were really integral for me in the match. I can't stress the recommendations part and really ask people you trust.

Best of luck to you; you are on the right path.

I highly advise you really assess your interests throughout P3 and P4 and really understand what a residency is and what you want out of it - that will be integral in doing well.
Only thing is that I only have a few months left before applications are due (down-side of being in a 3 year program :| ). I guess, best thing I can do is to prepare myself as much as I could, walking into my clinical rotations on May. I would definitely assess on what I want to get out of residency and what I want to do with my career moving forward. And I totally agree on what you said about being unique. Finding what makes you stand out is key. :)
Thank you for replying!!!