This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

No kidding, we can't all have perfect 4.0s ;)Being from AZ I'm looking at WICHE schools like WSU, CSU, UC Davis, and OSU and then some schools on the east coast like NCSU. How about you?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I posted in here before but I feel like my candle is burning out.

I'm a junior, hoping to apply to Michigan State University. I haven't been doing so hot in school AT ALL!

Last semester I got an A, two B's and a C- in Orgo.

This semester I got an A-, B-, C and another C- for Orgo 2.

My parents passed away, my dad in 2012 my senior year of HS and my mom last year just before I got my associates. I feel like after their deaths and struggling with working to pay bills I never had before whilst being full time hurts me a lot but I have to get it done. I'm tearing up just writing this too. I don't know what to do.

I'm willing to retake the classes, I'll be 22 this year and I feel so far behind. I know age shouldn't matter but I just feel so slow... school is consuming me and I can't do anything with my life and that's what frustrates me too.

I just needed to vent and I need some feedback. It's rough being an orphan and trying to be an adult. I know MSU is hard to get into but I honestly have no other interests than Veterinarian Medicine. I have the job Shadowing, volunteering and experience, it's just my grades...

No GRE score yet.

CV, I'm so sorry about the loss of your parents. I lost my mom when I was 7, so I don't relate perfectly but do understand the pain of losing a parent. 18 years later and I still miss her. I can tell you that my relationship with God got me through it and sustains me to this day.

That said, you need to ask yourself what you are going to do with what has happened. You can either see their deaths as an excuse or a reason. You can use the pain and grief as an excuse for not doing as well as you'd like to do, blaming the situation for your performance. OR, you can use their memory as a reason to keep going, to push harder, and to keep striving for your goal.

I often (almost daily) remember my mom and think to myself "I hope I am making her proud." I know your grief is much fresher and more raw than mine, but if you are serious about becoming a vet, don't let their deaths become the reason you don't.

I hope that doesn't come across as too harsh, but I wish someone had told me something similar. I allowed my mom's death to be an excuse for too long, and I encourage you to not do what I did. Use it as your reason, not your excuse.

As far as your age... I'm 25 and going back to school. There are people just a few posts up who are going back to school even later in life. Let's say you need another year or two to get your pre-reqs straightened out, maybe a cycle or two to get in. That's 6-7 years before you graduate from vet school, you'll be 28 or 29. Those years will pass whether you like it or not; might as well be a 29 year old veterinarian!

Reactions: 2 users
21 year old female-AZ resident

Hoping that my breadth of experience will make up for my very average GPA, but would definitely appreciate any words of wisdom! :)

Undergrad: Major in Veterinary Science, Minors in Biochemistry and Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
cGPA: 3.50
SciGPA: 3.49
Last 45 GPA: 3.80

GRE: Taking in June, but took an extensive prep course so I'm feeling good about it :)

Veterinary Experience:
3500 hours- Small Animal Emergency/Specialty Veterinary Assistant
600 hours- General Practice Small Animal Kennel Tech/Veterinary Assistant
100 hours- Equine General Practice and Surgery
100 hours- Wildlife Veterinary Volunteer on South-African Veterinary Expedition
40 hours- Large Animal/Equine Practice
40 hours- Bovine dystocia assistant and preg checks under veterinarian supervision
40 hours-Volunteer Veterinary Mission Trip in Mexico
50 hours- High School Veterinary Camp that included large animal AI, vaccinations, surgical experience, and veterinary skills labs
Certified Veterinary Assistant through high school program

Research Experience:
40 hours- assisting with surgery, tissue collection, and care of ovine specimens for research involving embryonic pancreas development and response to heat stress

Animal Experience:
5000 hours- Western Horsemanship lessons and competitions, as well as care for my own horses
500 hours- Western Horsemanship Riding Instructor using my personal horse
60 hours- Raising 3 orphaned Yorkshire piglets including bottle feeding, castration, and veterinary care
20 hours- Wildlife care volunteer at Wildlife Rehabilitation
20 hours- Equine Therapeutic ranch volunteer
20 hours- Horse rescue volunteer
10 hours- Bovine heart dissection teaching assistant
10 hours- Night-shift farrowing assistant
10 hours-Sow AI breeding assistant
40 hours- High School Livestock Judging

eLORS:
Emergency Vet
Equine Vet
Large Animal Vet/Professor
Anatomy and Physiology Professor (Also a DVM)
Research Supervisor
Veterinary Assisting Program Teacher

Honors:
1st in the Nation at National FFA Veterinary Science Competition
1st in State at AZ FFA Veterinary Science Competition for 3 consecutive years
3rd in State at AZ FFA Horse Evaluation Competition
2nd High Placing Individual at High School State Mock Trial Competition
University of Arizona Wildcat Excellence Scholarship
Hope I. Jones Veterinary Scholarship
National FFA Zoetis Veterinary Scholarship
Dean's List for multiple semesters

Activities:
Pre-Veterinary Club Member
Arizona Global Health Project Member and Veterinary Service Trip Leader
Science Camp/Children's Museum Veterinary Volunteer
High School FFA Veterinary Science Alumni Coach
Arizona State Veterinary FFA Student Chair and Event Coordinator
Homeless Shelter Volunteer- handing out pet food/supplies

Interest:
Emergency Mixed Practice and Surgery
No kidding, we can't all have perfect 4.0s ;)Being from AZ I'm looking at WICHE schools like WSU, CSU, UC Davis, and OSU and then some schools on the east coast like NCSU. How about you?!

You definitely have a strong application, but you're also looking at top tier schools that are notoriously difficult to get into. Your application is pretty good experience wise and your last 45 GPA is strong which is excellent, but UC davis looks at your last 45, science GPA, and quant GRE in that order and your are below the average stats in all categories. It's possible, but I'm not sure you'd get an interview. NCSU is also extremely difficult. I know several people who had 4.0's across the board but were placed on the wait list. You should definitely get offers or at least interviews from the other schools on your list. I'll be rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted in here before but I feel like my candle is burning out.

I'm a junior, hoping to apply to Michigan State University. I haven't been doing so hot in school AT ALL!

Last semester I got an A, two B's and a C- in Orgo.

This semester I got an A-, B-, C and another C- for Orgo 2.

My parents passed away, my dad in 2012 my senior year of HS and my mom last year just before I got my associates. I feel like after their deaths and struggling with working to pay bills I never had before whilst being full time hurts me a lot but I have to get it done. I'm tearing up just writing this too. I don't know what to do.

I'm willing to retake the classes, I'll be 22 this year and I feel so far behind. I know age shouldn't matter but I just feel so slow... school is consuming me and I can't do anything with my life and that's what frustrates me too.

I just needed to vent and I need some feedback. It's rough being an orphan and trying to be an adult. I know MSU is hard to get into but I honestly have no other interests than Veterinarian Medicine. I have the job Shadowing, volunteering and experience, it's just my grades...

No GRE score yet.

MSU won't be considering the GRE anymore so that may or may not be good news for you. How are your gpas holding up?

EDIT Hit post reply too soon. I hate typing mobile. There was more I was going to say but I've forgotten. Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk though. MSU is basically the only school I know anything helpful about.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely have a strong application, but you're also looking at top tier schools that are notoriously difficult to get into. Your application is pretty good experience wise and your last 45 GPA is strong which is excellent, but UC davis looks at your last 45, science GPA, and quant GRE in that order and your are below the average stats in all categories. It's possible, but I'm not sure you'd get an interview. NCSU is also extremely difficult. I know several people who had 4.0's across the board but were placed on the wait list. You should definitely get offers or at least interviews from the other schools on your list. I'll be rooting for you!

Thank you for your input! Yeah, definitely aware of the difficulty of getting into many of the schools I'm applying to. Hoping for the best though, and have been told by admissions reps from a few of the schools I've spoken with that my unique experiences and a high GRE will help balance out the GPA dilemma.

Reactions: 1 users
CV, I'm so sorry about the loss of your parents. I lost my mom when I was 7, so I don't relate perfectly but do understand the pain of losing a parent. 18 years later and I still miss her. I can tell you that my relationship with God got me through it and sustains me to this day.

That said, you need to ask yourself what you are going to do with what has happened. You can either see their deaths as an excuse or a reason. You can use the pain and grief as an excuse for not doing as well as you'd like to do, blaming the situation for your performance. OR, you can use their memory as a reason to keep going, to push harder, and to keep striving for your goal.

I often (almost daily) remember my mom and think to myself "I hope I am making her proud." I know your grief is much fresher and more raw than mine, but if you are serious about becoming a vet, don't let their deaths become the reason you don't.

I hope that doesn't come across as too harsh, but I wish someone had told me something similar. I allowed my mom's death to be an excuse for too long, and I encourage you to not do what I did. Use it as your reason, not your excuse.

As far as your age... I'm 25 and going back to school. There are people just a few posts up who are going back to school even later in life. Let's say you need another year or two to get your pre-reqs straightened out, maybe a cycle or two to get in. That's 6-7 years before you graduate from vet school, you'll be 28 or 29. Those years will pass whether you like it or not; might as well be a 29 year old veterinarian!
You've actually made something inside of me click. You understand, I can read it and I can feel your emotion as you typed it. I can't tell you how grateful I am for you telling me this from a personal experience. I'll take this one with me and try harder. I think since it's so fresh is why I'm feeling this way. I'm hoping this summer I will be up and motivated like never before.

MSU won't be considering the GRE anymore so that may or may not be good news for you. How are your gpas holding up?

EDIT Hit post reply too soon. I hate typing mobile. There was more I was going to say but I've forgotten. Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk though. MSU is basically the only school I know anything helpful about.

Yeah I'd like to talk more with you, especially with the GRE.

Thank you for your input! Yeah, definitely aware of the difficulty of getting into many of the schools I'm applying to. Hoping for the best though, and have been told by admissions reps from a few of the schools I've spoken with that my unique experiences and a high GRE will help balance out the GPA dilemma.
I think you've got a great shot at a lot of schools! It's just that UC Davis is so numbers focused and won't even look at your experiences. They just take quantify everything. I'm sure you'll do great for more holistic schools! I wish you the absolute best of luck!

You've actually made something inside of me click. You understand, I can read it and I can feel your emotion as you typed it. I can't tell you how grateful I am for you telling me this from a personal experience. I'll take this one with me and try harder. I think since it's so fresh is why I'm feeling this way. I'm hoping this summer I will be up and motivated like never before.

I remember you posting on here before. I don't have anything spectacular to say that everyone else hasn't covered, but I can't even imagine how hard it has been for you and I'm rooting for you! You CAN do this, and if it's what you want, you will!

I do get it, and I'm glad it helped. Get after it and make them proud!

Nice! If you're open to it, definitely look at schools that mostly considers last45 GPA!

After working in a corporate role for the past three years, I am very eager to get into vet school so I'll be applying to 11 schools!!! Insane. But luckily I've saved up money and have travel perks with my current job. My list includes: Ohio State University of Minnesota
Michigan State Colorado State University of Pennsylvania (IS) Virginia Tech Purdue Cornell
Kansas State Iowa State University of Illinois. It only takes one!!!

Nice! If you're open to it, definitely look at schools that mostly considers last45 GPA!

After working in a corporate role for the past three years, I am very eager to get into vet school so I'll be applying to 11 schools!!! Insane. But luckily I've saved up money and have travel perks with my current job. My list includes: Ohio State University of Minnesota
Michigan State Colorado State University of Pennsylvania (IS) Virginia Tech Purdue Cornell

Glad you decided to include OSU!

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you decided to include OSU!

Every time I read about their program, I get so excited. More than any other. It felt wrong not to apply there hahaha and the fact that it would be cheaper than my IS is difficult to pass up lol

Every time I read about their program, I get so excited. More than any other. It felt wrong not to apply there hahaha and the fact that it would be cheaper than my IS is difficult to pass up lol

Yes, IS tuition after the first year is nice! It's an awesome school and Columbus is fab.

That's awesome!! Those are all such great schools :)

This semester was really disheartening. I felt like I was putting in a lot of work and doing a fair amount of suffering, but all my grades are still going to be pretty ****ty and I think I've wrecked my GPA, which is probably hovering around 3.1 now. I went into it aiming for all A's and failed miserably.
I'm going to have probably:
an A-, a B, a B- (or maybe C+ depending on how the final went, which I think was badly), and somehow, a D in gen chem 2. I'm already registered to retake chemistry this summer starting in June... I guess just looking for some advice on how I can improve my study habits- I'm only 19 so I have some time to figure it out. I just feel guilty I guess- my parents are so supportive, but I keep letting them down- going to have to start working too because I can't expect them to keep supporting me when I'm just wasting the money essentially.

Hello! This is my first time posting, I have stalked the forums for a while and have appreciated a lot of the guidance that it has given me. I am looking for a bit of personal advice now. I thought I had everything planned out, but you know what they say about plans.. Please excuse my wordy explanation.

My initial intentions were, being that I work a full-time, M-F, 8-4 job.. I planned to continue to take online courses for my first two years of undergrad. I am currently enrolled in Eastern Gateway Community College here in Ohio. I am in the Associate of Science, Biological Science Transfer program. I have coordinated with the registrar at Bethany College in WV that all of my credits will transfer well..and I would take the Equine Studies, Pre-vet path. My end-goal is to become a large animal (mostly equine) veterinarian. HOWEVER..

I started shadowing at a vet clinic here in my town every Saturday. I have shadowed there for a total of 24 hours or so. Most of that time was on the road with the large animal vets for calls, but I have shadowed in the Small Animal side, as well. I know that doesn't amount to all that much yet, but I am just completing my first semester in my Freshman year.. I wanted to get started as early as possible in order to rack up those hours.

My second Saturday shadowing, first time with this particular Vet, he asked about the paths I am taking to get to vet college etc.. He was very blunt almost brutal in his responses, which I am grateful for. He advised me that it would be best, given my desire to become a large animal vet, to get my undergrad in Agriculture. I grew up around horses, love them, rode them, etc..but, to be perfectly honest, I am lost in regards to crops and their nutritional value, which he said is vital in being successful in the large animal field.

To my point--- OSU has always been on my list to apply for Vet College, but now I am looking at OSU as my undergrad, as well. My dilemma is this: I switched schools three different times in high school, and many times before high school, but lets focus on HS.. During my Senior year, I didn't feel I had performed the best up to that point, I didn't think I would be accepted into any college (young assumptions, oh well), so I signed into the Delayed Entry Program in the Army..essentially giving up on my studies in school. My end GPA in HS was 2.7. That was ten years ago now. Thus far, I have high A's in all of my classes. I'm just completing my first semester, but does that show that I am serious and mature enough now that I may be accepted into OSU as a transfer? I'm past the deadlines for Fall 2017 from what I have read on their site, and I intend on speaking with an Academic Advisor at OSU as soon as I can get a hold of one, but I am looking for the sage advice of the SDN-ers.

I don't know what more information you need, but I am a 28-yo (29 on May 17th, woohoo) single mother and Army veteran. I had an honorable discharge as an Intelligence Analyst, I also received an Army Achievement Medal.

Are these all things that the admissions committee would consider when they see my HS GPA? I'm not looking to give excuses, I just want them to understand that I am serious in my pursuits.

Thank you in advance for any responses!!

Hello! This is my first time posting, I have stalked the forums for a while and have appreciated a lot of the guidance that it has given me. I am looking for a bit of personal advice now. I thought I had everything planned out, but you know what they say about plans.. Please excuse my wordy explanation.

My initial intentions were, being that I work a full-time, M-F, 8-4 job.. I planned to continue to take online courses for my first two years of undergrad. I am currently enrolled in Eastern Gateway Community College here in Ohio. I am in the Associate of Science, Biological Science Transfer program. I have coordinated with the registrar at Bethany College in WV that all of my credits will transfer well..and I would take the Equine Studies, Pre-vet path. My end-goal is to become a large animal (mostly equine) veterinarian. HOWEVER..

I started shadowing at a vet clinic here in my town every Saturday. I have shadowed there for a total of 24 hours or so. Most of that time was on the road with the large animal vets for calls, but I have shadowed in the Small Animal side, as well. I know that doesn't amount to all that much yet, but I am just completing my first semester in my Freshman year.. I wanted to get started as early as possible in order to rack up those hours.

My second Saturday shadowing, first time with this particular Vet, he asked about the paths I am taking to get to vet college etc.. He was very blunt almost brutal in his responses, which I am grateful for. He advised me that it would be best, given my desire to become a large animal vet, to get my undergrad in Agriculture. I grew up around horses, love them, rode them, etc..but, to be perfectly honest, I am lost in regards to crops and their nutritional value, which he said is vital in being successful in the large animal field.

To my point--- OSU has always been on my list to apply for Vet College, but now I am looking at OSU as my undergrad, as well. My dilemma is this: I switched schools three different times in high school, and many times before high school, but lets focus on HS.. During my Senior year, I didn't feel I had performed the best up to that point, I didn't think I would be accepted into any college (young assumptions, oh well), so I signed into the Delayed Entry Program in the Army..essentially giving up on my studies in school. My end GPA in HS was 2.7. That was ten years ago now. Thus far, I have high A's in all of my classes. I'm just completing my first semester, but does that show that I am serious and mature enough now that I may be accepted into OSU as a transfer? I'm past the deadlines for Fall 2017 from what I have read on their site, and I intend on speaking with an Academic Advisor at OSU as soon as I can get a hold of one, but I am looking for the sage advice of the SDN-ers.

I don't know what more information you need, but I am a 28-yo (29 on May 17th, woohoo) single mother and Army veteran. I had an honorable discharge as an Intelligence Analyst, I also received an Army Achievement Medal.

Are these all things that the admissions committee would consider when they see my HS GPA? I'm not looking to give excuses, I just want them to understand that I am serious in my pursuits.

High school is not considered in vet school admission evaluation. College level only. As far as undergrad admissions, I doubt many here know much about that, and you would be better off contacting the undergrad admissions office for advice. Your grades currently should at least point towards a good trend and there may be a benefit as well since you are a veteran. Good luck!

First I'm going to STRONGLY disagree with the advice you were given to major in agriculture. Major in whatever you want, even basket weaving, as long as you get the pre-reqs for vet school and do well overall, but especially in the sciences and pre-reqs. I'd recommend selecting a major that you enjoy, you will do well in, and allows for a "plan B" if vet school ends up not happening for whatever reason.

I can't really offer any advice for getting into OSU for undergrad. That is something you are likely much better off speaking directly with the school about. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users

Absolutely I would think they would consider your most recent coursework as the neon light that you would be an excellent student. However, I can't imagine that you MUST major in agriculture to be a large animal vet. I would definitely talk to some large animal people on here with equine focus @Filly Bay? Care to weigh in? The general consensus around here is do whatever you need to in undergrad to accumulate the smallest amount of debt. It sounds as though you're well on your way to doing that, and I commend you for doing so well in your classes since returning to school. Also, thank you for your service.

I'm sorry I can't give you more specific advice but if you wish to transfer you should have no trouble. I'm just not sure if you do need to transfer. I know plenty of schools openly state they do not care what your undergrad degree is in. Mine is in mathematics and I only have the prerequisites for science classes.

First I'm going to STRONGLY disagree with the advice you were given to major in agriculture. Major in whatever you want, even basket weaving, as long as you get the pre-reqs for vet school and do well overall, but especially in the sciences and pre-reqs. I'd recommend selecting a major that you enjoy, you will do well in, and allows for a "plan B" if vet school ends up not happening for whatever reason.

I think his intention was more, what would benefit me toward the large animal field.. more knowledge in that realm, or something to that effect. He did explain that I could have any degree, but also mentioned that my studies being online wouldn't benefit me as much as the in-person classes would. At any rate, I would definitely appreciate any advice in that regard!

Thank you everyone for the responses thus far. I will definitely be getting a hold of Academic and see what they have to say. :)

I think his intention was more, what would benefit me toward the large animal field.. more knowledge in that realm, or something to that effect. He did explain that I could have any degree, but also mentioned that my studies being online wouldn't benefit me as much as the in-person classes would. At any rate, I would definitely appreciate any advice in that regard!

Thank you everyone for the responses thus far. I will definitely be getting a hold of Academic and see what they have to say. :)
I'm going to say it's debatable on whether those ag classes will help you long term, but it for sure won't help you if you don't do well in some classes because you are in a major you don't like. Vet school will teach you what you need to know to be a competent vet. There are vet students who go in knowing nothing about cows, having never even touched a cow, and some of them are now rockstar bovine vets. Doing well and getting the necessary pre-reqs should be your main focus.

I posted my stats a couple months ago and thought I would repost them to see if anyone has additional insight/advice for me! :)

29 years old. North Carolina resident (originally from New Hampshire though). 4th time applicant this cycle (YIKES!)

B.S. in Biomedical Science and Microbiology minor in 2013

Overall GPA: 3.28
Science: 3.16
Last 45: 3.49

I'm retaking my GRE at the end of June.

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Clinic: ~ 5000 (as a veterinary assistant at 2 animal hospitals)
Small Animal/Bird/Wildlife/Exotic Clinic: ~6000 (worked here for 4 years)
State's Veterinary Diagnostic Lab: ~300 (as a Microbiology lab assistant)

Animal Experience:
Kennel and Doggie Daycare Supervisor: ~10,000+
Horseback Riding for 15+ years
Barn/lesson Volunteer at a Therapeutic Riding Center: ~200
SPCA Barn Volunteer: ~30
Wildlife Center Volunteer: ~20
Fostering/socializing stray kittens (last summer and this summer)

Research:
Evaluated the water quality of drinking water at the public water works for a semester for my Aquatic Microbiology class

Work Experience:
Library Assistant
TA for General Microbiology lab during my undergraduate

Awards:
Dean's List for 2 semesters
Canine CPR and First Aid Certified

Extracurricular:
Agility handler with my rescued border collie mix
Equestrian Team in high school
Fish keeping
Choir Singer for 10+ years

My only concern is my below-average GPA which is LOW. I'm planning on retaking 3 prerequisites that I got C's in (General Biology I, General Chemistry I, and Organic Chemistry I) over the course of the summer. Additionally, I just got accepted into the B.S. Fisheries and Wildlife Science program at Oregon State University Ecampus as a post-baccalaureate student starting this summer as my main focus is wildlife medicine.

I'm planning to apply to NCSU (IS), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Michigan, and maybe Colorado this time around. Are there any others I should possibly consider to apply smartly to?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I posted my stats a couple months ago and thought I would repost them to see if anyone has additional insight/advice for me! :)

29 years old. North Carolina resident (originally from New Hampshire though). 4th time applicant this cycle (YIKES!)

B.S. in Biomedical Science and Microbiology minor in 2013

Overall GPA: 3.28
Science: 3.16
Last 45: 3.49

I'm retaking my GRE at the end of June.

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Clinic: ~ 5000 (as a veterinary assistant at 2 animal hospitals)
Small Animal/Bird/Wildlife/Exotic Clinic: ~6000 (worked here for 4 years)
State's Veterinary Diagnostic Lab: ~300 (as a Microbiology lab assistant)

Animal Experience:
Kennel and Doggie Daycare Supervisor: ~10,000+
Horseback Riding for 15+ years
Barn/lesson Volunteer at a Therapeutic Riding Center: ~200
SPCA Barn Volunteer: ~30
Wildlife Center Volunteer: ~20
Fostering/socializing stray kittens (last summer and this summer)

Research:
Evaluated the water quality of drinking water at the public water works for a semester for my Aquatic Microbiology class

Work Experience:
Library Assistant
TA for General Microbiology lab during my undergraduate

Awards:
Dean's List for 2 semesters
Canine CPR and First Aid Certified

Extracurricular:
Agility handler with my rescued border collie mix
Equestrian Team in high school
Fish keeping
Choir Singer for 10+ years

My only concern is my below-average GPA which is LOW. I'm planning on retaking 3 prerequisites that I got C's in (General Biology I, General Chemistry I, and Organic Chemistry I) over the course of the summer. Additionally, I just got accepted into the B.S. Fisheries and Wildlife Science program at Oregon State University Ecampus as a post-baccalaureate student starting this summer as my main focus is wildlife medicine.

I'm planning to apply to NCSU (IS), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Michigan, and maybe Colorado this time around. Are there any others I should possibly consider to apply smartly to?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Your stats overall remind me a little bit of mine but with far better veterinary experience. With that in mind I would think you stand a pretty decent shot at Michigan State as long as you have strong eLORS and present yourself well on the application and supplemental. They're no longer considering the GRE so your retake will be irrelevant for that particular school.

Where have you applied in the past? Did you do any file reviews?

Your stats overall remind me a little bit of mine but with far better veterinary experience. With that in mind I would think you stand a pretty decent shot at Michigan State as long as you have strong eLORS and present yourself well on the application and supplemental. They're no longer considering the GRE so your retake will be irrelevant for that particular school.

Where have you applied in the past? Did you do any file reviews?

Are you a Michigan resident?

Hi all, first time poster here so hopefully I'm doing this the correct way,

I, like many of you, have wanted to be a vet since I was a little kid. I'm currently an undergrad working towards a bachelor of science in zoology and have a year and a half left (including 10 pre-reqs to complete [my university gives labs a separate grade than their corresponding lectures, so I counted labs and lectures as separate classes here]: microbio, microbio lab, college physics I lab, ochem 1, ochem 1 lab, ochem 2, ochem 2 lab, college physics 2, college physics 2 lab, and biochem).

Currently my GPA is kind of going down the toilet. I had three jobs last semester and although I had a really light course load (12 credits) I ended up dropping one class for a W because I was juggling three jobs at the time, but my other classes still suffered (for instance I got a D in physics 1 and a C in evolution which was an easy class- I just couldn't juggle the coursework on top of work). This semester didn't get much better: I am taking 4 classes, all 3 credits but the 2 that are pre-reqs are probably going to be Ds or low Cs at best, with the other two being Bs or As. My cumulative GPA right now (not including this spring semester since grades are yet to be posted- I'm in the middle of finals at the moment) is a 3.188 and my science GPA is somewhere right around a 3.0 I think(?). I have several bad grades on my record and I think to Ws (C in gen. bio 2, C in algebra, C in pre-calc, C in animal phys, C in calc, D in stats, D in physics 1, and a C in evolution).

Planning on taking the GRE later this summer and have started studying with a Kaplan book that has online quizzes, practice exams, vocabulary words, and a paper practice exam. I took Kaplan's diagnostic exam and scored 149 Quantitative and 150 Verbal, which I feel pretty decent about considering I had not studied at all yet.

I have shadowed 8 veterinarians so far (will be shadowing 3 more over the summer) in multiple disciplines (small animal, large animal, shelter med, cancer specialty, and zoo med), but I don't have a large amount of hours yet (roughly 100, but I can get that up more over the next school year).
At this time I have about 2,000 hours of animal experience through working as a resident volunteer at a conservation center for gibbons, interning as a zookeeping at two zoos, volunteering on a dairy farm in high school, volunteering at the front desk of an animal shelter, volunteering to walk dogs at an animal shelter, working as a kennel assistant at a veterinary hospital (still doing), and working in a research lab on campus taking care of birds (also still doing)- so these numbers will be increasing as well. And that isn't even including personal animal experience, either.
As far as research goes, I have 3 hours of observational research from the conservation center and will have somewhere around 1,000 hours from the research lab job by the time that is finished with. I am also conducting my own research study over the summer through the lab I work in with the goal of getting a publication by next spring (2018).

I am a Minnesota resident. The schools I am considering are: U of MN, U of Madison-Wisconsin, NC State, CO State, Washington State. I am particularly interested in exotics (which is where I have most of my animal and vet experience from so far) and so NC State is probably my top choice, or Madison because I've heard they offer a bit more than other schools in terms of primate medicine.

Ideally, I will be done with undergrad in fall 2018, so I would like to apply next summer (summer 2018). I have an idea of who I am going to ask for eLORs (a vet I worked closely with and still communicate with from a zoo I interned at, my supervisor at my research job who knows me pretty well through work, and possibly a vet at the hospital I am currently a kennel assistant at).

Let me know if you need any other info to make your assessment! And thank you in advance for reading this long post. I truly appreciate it. :)

I, like many of you, have wanted to be a vet since I was a little kid. I'm currently an undergrad working towards a bachelor of science in zoology and have a year and a half left (including 10 pre-reqs to complete [my university gives labs a separate grade than their corresponding lectures, so I counted labs and lectures as separate classes here]: microbio, microbio lab, college physics I lab, ochem 1, ochem 1 lab, ochem 2, ochem 2 lab, college physics 2, college physics 2 lab, and biochem).

Currently my GPA is kind of going down the toilet. I had three jobs last semester and although I had a really light course load (12 credits) I ended up dropping one class for a W because I was juggling three jobs at the time, but my other classes still suffered (for instance I got a D in physics 1 and a C in evolution which was an easy class- I just couldn't juggle the coursework on top of work). This semester didn't get much better: I am taking 4 classes, all 3 credits but the 2 that are pre-reqs are probably going to be Ds or low Cs at best, with the other two being Bs or As. My cumulative GPA right now (not including this spring semester since grades are yet to be posted- I'm in the middle of finals at the moment) is a 3.188 and my science GPA is somewhere right around a 3.0 I think(?). I have several bad grades on my record and I think to Ws (C in gen. bio 2, C in algebra, C in pre-calc, C in animal phys, C in calc, D in stats, D in physics 1, and a C in evolution).

Planning on taking the GRE later this summer and have started studying with a Kaplan book that has online quizzes, practice exams, vocabulary words, and a paper practice exam. I took Kaplan's diagnostic exam and scored 149 Quantitative and 150 Verbal, which I feel pretty decent about considering I had not studied at all yet.

I have shadowed 8 veterinarians so far (will be shadowing 3 more over the summer) in multiple disciplines (small animal, large animal, shelter med, cancer specialty, and zoo med), but I don't have a large amount of hours yet (roughly 100, but I can get that up more over the next school year).
At this time I have about 2,000 hours of animal experience through working as a resident volunteer at a conservation center for gibbons, interning as a zookeeping at two zoos, volunteering on a dairy farm in high school, volunteering at the front desk of an animal shelter, volunteering to walk dogs at an animal shelter, working as a kennel assistant at a veterinary hospital (still doing), and working in a research lab on campus taking care of birds (also still doing)- so these numbers will be increasing as well. And that isn't even including personal animal experience, either.
As far as research goes, I have 3 hours of observational research from the conservation center and will have somewhere around 1,000 hours from the research lab job by the time that is finished with. I am also conducting my own research study over the summer through the lab I work in with the goal of getting a publication by next spring (2018).

I am a Minnesota resident. The schools I am considering are: U of MN, U of Madison-Wisconsin, NC State, CO State, Washington State. I am particularly interested in exotics (which is where I have most of my animal and vet experience from so far) and so NC State is probably my top choice, or Madison because I've heard they offer a bit more than other schools in terms of primate medicine.

Ideally, I will be done with undergrad in fall 2018, so I would like to apply next summer (summer 2018). I have an idea of who I am going to ask for eLORs (a vet I worked closely with and still communicate with from a zoo I interned at, my supervisor at my research job who knows me pretty well through work, and possibly a vet at the hospital I am currently a kennel assistant at).

Let me know if you need any other info to make your assessment! And thank you in advance for reading this long post. I truly appreciate it. :)

NC State requires a 3.4 minimum cGPA for OOS residents and is usually extremely competitive. If you're super set in attending NC State, you might want to consider moving and establishing residency.

I'm pretty sure this most recent round the OOS average cGPA was around 3.8

Edit: Apparently ninjad with my first paragraph while I was typing

I can't give you too much advice, but I do know that lots of schools have a GPA requirement to even look at you. I know that NC State requires a 3.4 cumulative, prereq, and last 45 GPAs to even get looked at. And I know NCState is pretty competitive to get in to because they allow you to switch residency after first year. So you should definitely try to raise your grades as much as possible and possibly retake some of the Cs and get a higher grade (I know lots of schools average the original and retake grades but not sure about the policies at the schools you're looking at).
I'm pretty sure most (if not all?) schools won't accept lower than a C(some may be C-) in prerequisites, so you'd have to retake any prereqs that you got Ds in to even be looked at.
I'm sure others may be able to offer more advice and input.
Good luck!

I didn't realize they were making so many changes to their admissions process--do you know why it happened?

I'm not entirely sure. I could be remembering wrong but I think in part they were trying to reduce costs to applicants. So they no longer favor applicants who have a degree (that changed last cycle), dropped nutrition as a prereq, and they did away with the GRE. I'm sure there's more to it then just cutting expenses but if I'm remembering correctly that was one factor. They also changed their supplemental last year but I have no idea why.

up

Illinois might be a good option if you can meet the gpa cut. Minimum required gpa is 2.75 and they have good opportunities for exotics!

up

Illinois might be a good option if you can meet the gpa cut. Minimum required gpa is 2.75 and they have good opportunities for exotics!

Thanks! I will definitely have to look into their program a bit more as that hasn't been one that has come up too much.

I'm just pretty pumped everyone so far has chosen the same answer because we're all sassy af

Lol I made the poll but I don't know how to remove it- I thought it would stay attached with my individual post, but it didn't. It was my first post ever, so forgive my noobiness. :oops:

Thanks! I made it along with my first post EVER here today and I'm not sure how to take it down now. My bad :oops:
I don't think it goes away. :laugh: It's okay, it's a lovely addition to the "What are my chances?" thread. Reminds me that I should've gone into underwater basket weaving!

Hi guys so I was wondering if I could get some advice but also wondering what my chances are?
I just finished my junior year of undergrad I was previously premed then switched to prevet. I have a good bit of animal experience including being raised on a farm, bottle feeding kittens, raising goats, puppies, chickens, etc. I volunteer as a foster for an animal rescue group and I work as a veterinary assistant. I also do research on how exercise protects your brain from stress. My gpa is kindof low. I have a 3.32 and I am majoring in neuroscience. I am planning on retaking a couple of courses I did poorly on, but what else should I do to better my chances of getting in? What are my chances of getting in? Should I wait til my application is at its best to apply? Which schools would be best to apply to?

Hello everyone!
I wanted to see what your thoughts were about an issue I'm having. I started into college right after high school when I wasn't ready or even sure what I wanted to do. To no big surprise, I lacked motivation and did poorly. This was in 2005-2007. At the time, my gpa was 2.07. I took a break, came back to my senses about 3 years later after working for awhile and did much better, but my previous gpa still haunted me. I switched schools, which I believe was a large part of the problem and changed things around, taking upper level classes and some graduate courses as a sophmore and started making the deans list and finishing off with a 4.0 my final semester which includes a field research project in India. I am 30 now, finished my bachelors a few years back and at my final school I had a 3.3 gpa overall.
My problem? When I factor in my first schools grades to figure out a total gpa for applications, it comes out to a 2.7 because I did so poorly initially. However, the first school's grades were about 11 years ago. So my question is, do they still count? Do I factor them in on applications or only my cum gpa from the university I graduated from which is still in a relevant time frame? I am studying for the GRE and taking prerequisites and doing well in them. I have about 4500 hours working with vets in an ER, a mobile practice and a day practice. I also have about 2000 hours volunteering at a zoo with exotics, 600 working at a wildlife rehab center as well.

It's painful because those grades from 11 years ago in no way reflect who I am as a student now, but I don't know how to go about fixing it. Any ideas? Has anyone else gone through something similar? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello everyone!
I wanted to see what your thoughts were about an issue I'm having. I started into college right after high school when I wasn't ready or even sure what I wanted to do. To no big surprise, I lacked motivation and did poorly. This was in 2005-2007. At the time, my gpa was 2.07. I took a break, came back to my senses about 3 years later after working for awhile and did much better, but my previous gpa still haunted me. I switched schools, which I believe was a large part of the problem and changed things around, taking upper level classes and some graduate courses as a sophmore and started making the deans list and finishing off with a 4.0 my final semester which includes a field research project in India. I am 30 now, finished my bachelors a few years back and at my final school I had a 3.3 gpa overall.
My problem? When I factor in my first schools grades to figure out a total gpa for applications, it comes out to a 2.7 because I did so poorly initially. However, the first school's grades were about 11 years ago. So my question is, do they still count? Do I factor them in on applications or only my cum gpa from the university I graduated from which is still in a relevant time frame? I am studying for the GRE and taking prerequisites and doing well in them. I have about 4500 hours working with vets in an ER, a mobile practice and a day practice. I also have about 2000 hours volunteering at a zoo with exotics, 600 working at a wildlife rehab center as well.

It's painful because those grades from 11 years ago in no way reflect who I am as a student now, but I don't know how to go about fixing it. Any ideas? Has anyone else gone through something similar? Any advice would be appreciated!

There are schools who don't even consider your cumulative GPA and other schools who may consider it but don't weight it very heavily. If you look into how various schools evaluate applicants and apply smart then having done poorly in the past won't prevent you from being a competitive applicant. Are you looking at any schools in particular at this point?

There are schools who don't even consider your cumulative GPA and other schools who may consider it but don't weight it very heavily. If you look into how various schools evaluate applicants and apply smart then having done poorly in the past won't prevent you from being a competitive applicant. Are you looking at any schools in particular at this point?

Thank you for the reply! I have 3 in mind, but I am open to anything other than going out of the country. I have a very ill family member and would like to stay close by if possible. I live in northern Ohio so I was looking at MSU, OSU, and then also Virginia because the vet I work with currently went there and I've heard good things about it. I guess I wasn't aware that there were schools that don't consider your cumulative. My last 45 is about a 3.8 and I'm hoping to do very well on the GRE (i perform well on tests). If you know of any schools off hand that don't look at cum gpa, I'd love to hear them. I'm going to be doing some heavy research now and look into that. THANK YOU!

Hello everyone!

There are schools that you can apply for a dismissal of anything over ten years old. I'm not sure which ones though so you'll have to look that up.

My problem? When I factor in my first schools grades to figure out a total gpa for applications, it comes out to a 2.7 because I did so poorly initially.

I'm in the same boat and I second what @finnickthedog said. Not all schools look at cumulative GPA. (Thankfully my IS doesn't look at the cumulative GPA anymore.) Some schools require a minimum GPA so that still might be a challenge. Where are you looking at applying?

Once you apply, if asked about it in an interview, make sure you're up front about why and how you have changed. It is frustrating for sure, especially when you've done a complete 180 but the GPA doesn't show that. I think that is why some schools don't use it as a factor anymore, because it doesn't really tell you much about what type of student they are or will be.

Thank you for the reply! I have 3 in mind, but I am open to anything other than going out of the country. I have a very ill family member and would like to stay close by if possible. I live in northern Ohio so I was looking at MSU, OSU, and then also Virginia because the vet I work with currently went there and I've heard good things about it. I guess I wasn't aware that there were schools that don't consider your cumulative. My last 45 is about a 3.8 and I'm hoping to do very well on the GRE (i perform well on tests). If you know of any schools off hand that don't look at cum gpa, I'd love to hear them. I'm going to be doing some heavy research now and look into that. THANK YOU!

Michigan state doesn't. And they also only look at last 36 credits, not 45. They focus more on the overall candidate rather than grades. At least that is what they told me in the admissions office.

MSU is one that doesn't look at cumulative GPA so there's one that's already on your list. They also don't look at the GRE anymore just so you know. I'm afraid I don't know too much about other schools as I put all my eggs in one basket when I was applying but the information is out there. Good luck and you're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.