This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmu factors your old grade in but takes the new grade for pre reqs. Ie the new grade counts. They said they look at last 45 and trends too. I would suggest a masters which I was told by UF to do. Wisconson takes new, Kansas, others meantioned.

Members don't see this ad.

T
You aren't bugging anyone...we all know the feeling well. Applying to vet school brings a lot of anxiety/self doubt with it. Just take a deep breath and do what you can to put forth the best application possible:)
Talked with UF who said do a 1 yr masters ( with them) so this cycle will apply to those who replace grades and also do what UF said so if It doesnt work out I have a masters and can reapply a 3rd time

T

Talked with UF who said do a 1 yr masters ( with them) so this cycle will apply to those who replace grades and also do what UF said so if It doesnt work out I have a masters and can reapply a 3rd time

Looks like you got yourself a solid plan! Rooting for ya OCVT!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly from when I looked at Purdue, they require a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative gpa in order to even consider you for admissions. You need to take a look at your grades, figure out how many classes you would have to take to get there, and then decide whether that's something you can realistically do. If it isn't, then you aren't going to get into Purdue and it's time to start considering your other options.

You last 45 is great and some schools really favor that in their admissions process. Your stats are not hopeless, but Purdue may not be the best bet for you. You have to remember that even if you do pull your cumulative up to the minimum requirement, you may still struggle at a school that places emphasis on the cumulative gpa. Is moving to establish residency in another state an option for you?

I notice you said you can't move more than a few hours away from your family but Illinois is only a couple hours away from Purdue and has a minimum gpa requirement of 2.75. Michigan State is 4 hours away and doesn't consider cumulative gpa at all. So those are couple options you might consider where your chances might be better and you don't have to move horribly far.
If I remember correctly from when I looked at Purdue, they require a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative gpa in order to even consider you for admissions. You need to take a look at your grades, figure out how many classes you would have to take to get there, and then decide whether that's something you can realistically do. If it isn't, then you aren't going to get into Purdue and it's time to start considering your other options.

You last 45 is great and some schools really favor that in their admissions process. Your stats are not hopeless, but Purdue may not be the best bet for you. You have to remember that even if you do pull your cumulative up to the minimum requirement, you may still struggle at a school that places emphasis on the cumulative gpa. Is moving to establish residency in another state an option for you?

I notice you said you can't move more than a few hours away from your family but Illinois is only a couple hours away from Purdue and has a minimum gpa requirement of 2.75. Michigan State is 4 hours away and doesn't consider cumulative gpa at all. So those are couple options you might consider where your chances might be better and you don't have to move horribly far.

I can bring up my cumulative after this semester and then have next year (when I plan to apply again) to bring it up some more. Unfortunately, both of those schools are too far away from my hometown for me to be able to attend. I really wish I didn't have all the responsibility pushed off on me at home that I do. It seems like there are just too many things against me. I think I may just give up. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I can bring up my cumulative after this semester and then have next year (when I plan to apply again) to bring it up some more. Unfortunately, both of those schools are too far away from my hometown for me to be able to attend. I really wish I didn't have all the responsibility pushed off on me at home that I do. It seems like there are just too many things against me. I think I may just give up. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
I would take a look at your family responsibilities and look at what's actually your problem and what isn't. I spent far too many years at my mother's beck and call when in reality, she had no right to do what she did. Some therapy or discussion with a trusted mentor might help.

It may also be that this is just not right for you at the moment, and you come back later, when you can be more flexible.

Reactions: 4 users
I would take a look at your family responsibilities and look at what's actually your problem and what isn't. I spent far too many years at my mother's beck and call when in reality, she had no right to do what she did. Some therapy or discussion with a trusted mentor might help.

It may also be that this is just not right for you at the moment, and you come back later, when you can be more flexible.
I agree with this. Half the reason my gpa tanked was family. I rushed through and I worked full time. Are you going to spend your whole life in your home town or can you see moving away. I'm having to look outside the safezone both monetarily and life wise to get where I want to be. You need to look deep down and see whats good for you. If its a sick parent you might have to take a few years off..vet school will still be there and you'll be more at peace. I know one horse vet who applied at 30yrs old and was a firefighter first. You dont have to go right now.

I agree with this. Half the reason my gpa tanked was family. I rushed through and I worked full time. Are you going to spend your whole life in your home town or can you see moving away. I'm having to look outside the safezone both monetarily and life wise to get where I want to be. You need to look deep down and see whats good for you. If its a sick parent you might have to take a few years off..vet school will still be there and you'll be more at peace. I know one horse vet who applied at 30yrs old and was a firefighter first. You dont have to go right now.

I tried to be pre-vet when I was 19. You can actually still find some of those threads in my history, since I used the same account. I ignored a lot of good advice because my severely mentally ill mother had a firm grip on my life and I wasn't able to break away. I also wasn't functionally mentally healthy enough to survive the rigorous science classes you need for vet school. I'll probably be in therapy for anxiety/depression/PTSD for the rest of my life, thanks to her.

I'm 26 now, going on 27, and will just start my pre-reqs in Jan. If I load things up, I'll be able to apply to vet school next fall. If not, it happens.

It sucks, it really does. My Dad is also really sick and I hate being far away from him. But I've had this conversation with him and he doesn't want me to put my life on hold for his. He wants me to move forward, to do well. Even if it means being further away.

You have to do what's best for you. Family is important, but it's not the end-all be-all society makes it out to be. (I'm saying this not to encourage people to abandon family members, but I've been there in the 'well you don't understand how hard it is'. I do. I get it. I've been there. I've given up years and years of my life for my mother. I can't change it. All I can do is mitigate the damage it's done.)

Reactions: 4 users
I tried to be pre-vet when I was 19. You can actually still find some of those threads in my history, since I used the same account. I ignored a lot of good advice because my severely mentally ill mother had a firm grip on my life and I wasn't able to break away. I also wasn't functionally mentally healthy enough to survive the rigorous science classes you need for vet school. I'll probably be in therapy for anxiety/depression/PTSD for the rest of my life, thanks to her.

I'm 26 now, going on 27, and will just start my pre-reqs in Jan. If I load things up, I'll be able to apply to vet school next fall. If not, it happens.

It sucks, it really does. My Dad is also really sick and I hate being far away from him. But I've had this conversation with him and he doesn't want me to put my life on hold for his. He wants me to move forward, to do well. Even if it means being further away.

You have to do what's best for you. Family is important, but it's not the end-all be-all society makes it out to be. (I'm saying this not to encourage people to abandon family members, but I've been there in the 'well you don't understand how hard it is'. I do. I get it. I've been there. I've given up years and years of my life for my mother. I can't change it. All I can do is mitigate the damage it's done.)
Hey we can be old fart vet applicants next fall together :D

Long time follower, first time posting!
I'm applying this cycle and getting increasingly more nervous about my stats.

Arkansas resident, 20 years old.

Cummulative GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: should be 4.0

GRE: 157 V/ 152 Q/ 4.5 W

Veterinary experience:
375 hours small animal (will be adding more hours over the summer)
53 hours mixed animal (dogs, cats, cows, horses, goats)
6 hours equine
5 hours wildlife med
4 hours shelter med

Animal experience:
500+ hours animal shelter (walking/socializing dogs)
~280 hours Petsmart pet care associate
~125 hours fostering bottle fed kittens
Lifetime experience with personal pets; fish and hamsters past 3 years (not sure if this counts?)

Research experience:
Currently working on project involving aquaculture, should be around 50 hours when completed

Honors/awards:
Dean's list every semester
Academic scholarship
Premedical honor society
Tri-beta honor society
Freshman honor society

I still have quite a few prerequisites to complete, including the classes I'm currently taking but I will have everything finished by next May. I plan on graduating May 2018 with a B.S. in Biology. My main concern is my veterinary experience. I have scanned this thread and the successful applicant thread several times but most people have the opposite problem (low-ish GPA/ lots of experience). I'm just curious to see if anyone has any advice for my particular situation!

Veterinary experience:
6 hours equine
5 hours wildlife med
4 hours shelter med

Animal experience:
Lifetime experience with personal pets; fish and hamsters past 3 years (not sure if this counts?)

Research experience:
Currently working on project involving aquaculture, should be around 50 hours when completed

Honors/awards:
Academic scholarship
Premedical honor society
Tri-beta honor society
Freshman honor society

I still have quite a few prerequisites to complete, including the classes I'm currently taking but I will have everything finished by next May. I plan on graduating May 2018 with a B.S. in Biology. My main concern is my veterinary experience. I have scanned this thread and the successful applicant thread several times but most people have the opposite problem (low-ish GPA/ lots of experience). I'm just curious to see if anyone has any advice for my particular situation!

You'll be fine, hours mainly show that you know what you're getting into, or to help make up for poor grades. Assuming your essays are good you'll be perfectly fine.

You'll be fine, hours mainly show that you know what you're getting into, or to help make up for poor grades. Assuming your essays are good you'll be perfectly fine.

Thank you, that makes me feel better!
By essays, do you mean personal statement?

Veterinary experience:
6 hours equine
5 hours wildlife med
4 hours shelter med

Animal experience:

Research experience:

Honors/awards:
Academic scholarship
Premedical honor society
Tri-beta honor society
Freshman honor society

Yeah, most of this app looks good minus the slightly low veterinary hours (though you're definitely not on the super low end of the hours spectrum). I would recommend getting some more hours in before you apply (which it seems like you're doing). My other thing that I recommend everyone do is get some non-animal volunteering experience (like at a food bank, helping at a retirement home, that sort of thing). It's always good to demonstrate that you're a strong member of the community, like people (so they know you're not a total troglodyte around people, lol), and of course those sorts of experiences are always great personal growth opportunities that are just plain good for you to do. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, most of this app looks good minus the slightly low veterinary hours (though you're definitely not on the super low end of the hours spectrum). I would recommend getting some more hours in before you apply (which it seems like you're doing). My other thing that I recommend everyone do is get some non-animal volunteering experience (like at a food bank, helping at a retirement home, that sort of thing). It's always good to demonstrate that you're a strong member of the community, like people (so they know you're not a total troglodyte around people, lol), and of course those sorts of experiences are always great personal growth opportunities that are just plain good for you to do. :)

That's great advice that I hadn't thought of! Thanks so much!

That's great advice that I hadn't thought of! Thanks so much!
I may not be the best for grade advice but yeah your gpa/gre is great.

What advice I can give is on hours. Print up a resume of what you have experience wise and knock on the door every LA and SA clinic you want to shadow with. Big companies like VCA and such usually wont let you be hands on but smaller or privately owned practices will. Don't get discouraged after a few no's and keep on trucking. I have the hours I do ( 2.5 yrs LA and 6 months SA) because I was told no by every LA vet and finally was told yes by one who was very high quality ( sports med..very thourough) who pushed me hard and had become like family.

They want a diverse amount of hours but I think it depends on what you want to do. If you are intending to go LA then get more in that, SA and exotics go for a few more in that.

All in all ive seen folks on here with your GPA get in with far fewer but with more hours you'll set yourself apart. If you are still taking courses don't let your hours interfere with them. Good Luck.

While we're on the topic of gaining diverse hours, has anyone had success in shadowing a public health/state veterinarian?! Since this is where my main interest is I have been working towards an opportunity in the public health field but have been unsuccessful. I've contacted my state department of agriculture and USDA FSIS. They said that I needed to be a vet student to shadow. Would it be worth contacting surrounding states to see if their programs are different? Or this seen across the board? Thanks for any input and my apologies if this should go in a different thread!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

While we're on the topic of gaining diverse hours, has anyone had success in shadowing a public health/state veterinarian?! Since this is where my main interest is I have been working towards an opportunity in the public health field but have been unsuccessful. I've contacted my state department of agriculture and USDA FSIS. They said that I needed to be a vet student to shadow. Would it be worth contacting surrounding states to see if their programs are different? Or this seen across the board? Thanks for any input and my apologies if this should go in a different thread!

@vetmedhead I feel like you might have some knowledge on this topic?

Blanking on who else to tag, though there are definitely a few more people on here who are in that area of vet med.

I had an opportunity to go with a poultry manager (worked with the vet overseeing a poultry company like Tyson) to tag along to a state lab to watch the veterinarians perform their testing. I had to deny it because I was doing too much at the time. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but there may be able to tag along to shadow that way.

@vetmedhead I feel like you might have some knowledge on this topic?

Blanking on who else to tag, though there are definitely a few more people on here who are in that area of vet med.
Yeah, this is very variable by state. Where I'm at I could probably have shadowed the state veterinarian very easily as an undergrad, in other areas it can be much more difficult. My advice is to shoot for starting with public health at a lower governmental level - many city and county public health agencies are really high quality and often more amenable to shadowing than some of the bigger state or federal agencies. They also, in general, have veterinarians who work for or with them, and even if they don't they will often have a decent supply of folks who work on things that pre-vets tend to be interested in, like zoonotic disease prevention.

I've had a lot of opportunities to shadow with state/federal agencies but I think a huge part of it is that I'm both a public health graduate student and a veterinary student, so it's easy to justify letting me tag along and figure out how things work. I personally prefer smaller agencies though, both because that's what I'd like to work in (I'd prefer municipal animal control work myself lol) and because the travel is generally less demanding.

I may not be the best for grade advice but yeah your gpa/gre is great.

What advice I can give is on hours. Print up a resume of what you have experience wise and knock on the door every LA and SA clinic you want to shadow with. Big companies like VCA and such usually wont let you be hands on but smaller or privately owned practices will. Don't get discouraged after a few no's and keep on trucking. I have the hours I do ( 2.5 yrs LA and 6 months SA) because I was told no by every LA vet and finally was told yes by one who was very high quality ( sports med..very thourough) who pushed me hard and had become like family.

They want a diverse amount of hours but I think it depends on what you want to do. If you are intending to go LA then get more in that, SA and exotics go for a few more in that.

All in all ive seen folks on here with your GPA get in with far fewer but with more hours you'll set yourself apart. If you are still taking courses don't let your hours interfere with them. Good Luck.

That's definitely my biggest worry about my application, my lack of diversity. There are very few large animal vets where I live. I'm currently doing an internship with the mixed animal vet so that's where most of my experience with large animals has come from. I shadowed an equine veterinarian once and found it all very fascinating but the vet is a pretty far drive from where I live. He was also quite intimidating/unwelcoming. I'd like to go back but I'm honestly a little scared to!

Thank you everyone for the advice

If I didn't get in on my first attempt I plan to continue working as a vet tech, but would it be more beneficial to redo low pre-reqs or attempt to do a one year masters program? OR just get additional upper division science courses done?

Veterinary experience:
6 hours equine
5 hours wildlife med
4 hours shelter med

Animal experience:

Research experience:

Honors/awards:
Academic scholarship
Premedical honor society
Tri-beta honor society
Freshman honor society

Auburn (which does contracts with Ark) looks heavily at number of hours. I was told at my interview my 700 hours were on the low end. So definitely earn more hours!

Auburn (which does contracts with Ark) looks heavily at number of hours. I was told at my interview my 700 hours were on the low end. So definitely earn more hours!

Auburn has contract seats with Kentucky, not sure about Arkansas!

I don't know if Auburn offers a contract with Arkansas residents, but I know that Mizzou does for sure, @migc! I know several doctors back home from Arkansas who went that route. Might be worth looking into.

The VIN cost of education map also says that Louisiana State and Oklahoma State may also offer contract seats for Arkansas, though I don't know how recent/accurate that information is.

Honestly, I think your stats are good enough that you'd probably have a pretty decent shot of acceptance at any of those schools. The veterinary hours are a smidge low, but definitely within range and appear pretty diverse. Your academics are excellent.

Thanks to all of your for your input! It's great to get advice from people on the same path. I plan on applying to Mississippi St., LSU, OSU, and Missouri. I believe that only LSU, OSU, Missouri and maybe Tuskegee contract with Arkansas. But if Auburn does then I will look into them as well!

I don't know if Auburn offers a contract with Arkansas residents, but I know that Mizzou does for sure, @migc! I know several doctors back home from Arkansas who went that route. Might be worth looking into.

The VIN cost of education map also says that Louisiana State and Oklahoma State may also offer contract seats for Arkansas, though I don't know how recent/accurate that information is.
(last I heard OkState was phasing away from the Arkansas resident, so I'm not sure. But I might be completely inaccurate as well.)

So hopefully you guys can offer some expert advice...
I am a 20 year-old female, NJ resident, majoring in Biology. I began taking my science courses 2 semesters ago, so I am cramming all of my upper-level sciences into my last year of undergrad, which was poorly planned. I still have to take both physics, biochem, micro, and general Chem II (as well as a few requirements for my specific college).This semester Orgo II and Calculus have been killing me and I currently have a C- in Calculus (not yet sure about Chem, as we just had our first exam). So I am currently on the fence about whether I should withdraw from Calculus and re-take the summer course at a local community college, or if I should toughen the final few weeks out and try to bring up the grade? I already have a W on my transcript from one science course, and unfortunately got a C+ in Orgo I. Neither option will look good to vet schools. What do you think my chances are of being accepted if I go either route?

Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.47

Vet experience:
1500+ hours as a Vet Assistant (small animal
100 hours Large Animal

Animal experience:
400 hours as an Intern at Wildlife Rehab Center
500 hours pet-sitting
100 hours volunteer at therapeutic riding center
100 hours animal shelter

President for animal club at school that gets involved with volunteer work
Member of 2 Honor Societies

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on my application. I am a 19 year old junior (sophomore really but graduating in 3 years) graduating May of 2018 so I will be applying this upcoming application cycle. I am a little worried about my age because I am so young (just turning 20 in June) and I'm hoping that won't work against me but it's also a good thing because I have nothing to lose if I don't get in the first time. I have visited Penn, Cornell and NCSU. I love NCSU, I have visited twice - once for the APVMA conference and once on my own. I know how hard it is to get in so I am also applying for a masters in animal science at NCSU as a back up plan and also to establish residency for a year and then apply again as in-state (if I don't get in OOS) since the tuition is so much lower compared to other schools. I'm applying to probably Cornell, Penn, Ross, Florida & NCSU. I have decent experience because I have been shadowing since I was 14 years old.

20 year old female, New York resident, 1st time applicant

Cumulative GPA: 3.886
Science/Pre-Requisite GPA: 4.0 (I've gotten a couple A-'s in my equine classes which is what brought down my final GPA)
Last 45 GPA: 4.0? I still have a year of undergraduate to go but it's looking like a 4.0 this semester (plus next year I finally get to take 4 classes a semester and not 5!)

Degree: BS in Biology and BS in Pre-Vet Equine Science, Minor in Chemistry

GRE (Q,V,W): 152, 147, 5.0 (I just took this 3 weeks ago during spring break without studying at all, I am retaking in July after some studying over the summer since I didn't do so hot)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal veterinary assistant (2,100)
Small Animal veterinary shadow (430)
Small animal emergency clinic shadow (350)
Equine vet/surgeon shadow (300)
Wildlife shadow (15)
Tufts AVM Program & Cornell Veterinary Exploration Program (30)

Animal Experience:
Zoo nursery assistant (20 hours a week this summer - expecting 350 hours)
Horseback instructor (200)
Horseback riding camp counselor (350)
Horseback rider (1500)
Member of equestrian team in high school (200 hours)
Wildlife shelter volunteer (60)
Cat/dog/rabbit shelter volunteer (80)
Planning to foster a puppy this summer for my rescue (500 hours?)
Coordinated a "ride for the cure" breast cancer horse show and raised over $3000 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation (100 hours)

Research Experience:
Psychological decision factors regarding human and pet clinical trials (150)
Autonomic research on indigenous bat species (60)

Non Animal Employment/Volunteer:
Admissions office tour guide ( 3 years of undergrad)
Receptionist at electrical engineering company (2 years during high school)
Kiddie soccer coach (1 year during undergrad)
Student note taker (3 years of undergrad)
Peer tutor for general biology, equine health and physics (2 years of undergrad)
My apartment is the "show room" for admissions tours (3 years undergrad)

Extracurricular Activities:
President/founder of pre vet club for 2 years (created and sold equine emergency kits to purchase animal oxygen masks for the local fire department, made over 100 toys out of donate towels for a rescue, held an anatomy bowl, sutured bananas, holding a blood typing program this week, attended the 2017 APVMA conference at NCSU, coordinated field trips to Penn & Cornell, held various veterinary speakers from all different fields)
Member of Tribeta Biology Honor Society (top biology majors)
Member of Golden Key Honor Society (top 15% of the school)
Member of I AM club, Evergreen Environmental club and LIONS club
Considering becoming a Student Government Senator next year?

College Awards:
Presidential scholarship (highest scholarship at my school -covers 75% tuition and has perks such as research with a professor, priority registration, priority housing, etc.)
APVMA scholarship
Making a Difference scholarship

High School Awards:
AP scholar award
Girl scout bronze and silver award
Douglas Sposato wildlife scholarship
Lt. Joseph Fenty scholarship
LI teachers benevolent scholarship
St. Johns soccer scholarship

High School Extracurricular Activities:
Member of National Honor Society
Member of Foreign Language Honor Society
Member of equestrian team
Member of breaking boundaries and clam cleanup club
JV cheerleader (freshman/sophomore year)
Travel soccer since I was 12 up until going away for college
Church volunteer (50 hours)

LoRs : they all have mentioned writing me awesome letters already :)
Small animal veterinarian
Equine vet/board certified surgeon
Advisor of pre-vet club who is a medical doctor who does my bat research with me
My actual advisor who is a marine biologist/PhD scientist who does my research on clinical trials with me

I am taking animal nutrition this summer online through K-State, and biochemistry through Stony Brook University (SUNY) and I just have to take Organic I (fall) and Microbiology (fall) and Organic II (spring) and my pre-requisites are done!!!

Thank so much for reading this! Please let me know what you think! I already know the GRE scores need improvement. And I am really trying to diverse my experience. I am applying for an internship at the aquarium for winter break/session but that won't be on my application if I get it. :(

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on my application. I am a 19 year old junior (sophomore really but graduating in 3 years) graduating May of 2018 so I will be applying this upcoming application cycle. I am a little worried about my age because I am so young (just turning 20 in June) and I'm hoping that won't work against me but it's also a good thing because I have nothing to lose if I don't get in the first time. I have visited Penn, Cornell and NCSU. I love NCSU, I have visited twice - once for the APVMA conference and once on my own. I know how hard it is to get in so I am also applying for a masters in animal science at NCSU as a back up plan and also to establish residency for a year and then apply again as in-state (if I don't get in OOS) since the tuition is so much lower compared to other schools. I'm applying to probably Cornell, Penn, Ross, Florida & NCSU. I have decent experience because I have been shadowing since I was 14 years old.

20 year old female, New York resident, 1st time applicant

Cumulative GPA: 3.886
Science/Pre-Requisite GPA: 4.0 (I've gotten a couple A-'s in my equine classes which is what brought down my final GPA)
Last 45 GPA: 4.0? I still have a year of undergraduate to go but it's looking like a 4.0 this semester (plus next year I finally get to take 4 classes a semester and not 5!)

Degree: BS in Biology and BS in Pre-Vet Equine Science, Minor in Chemistry

GRE (Q,V,W): 152, 147, 5.0 (I just took this 3 weeks ago during spring break without studying at all, I am retaking in July after some studying over the summer since I didn't do so hot)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal veterinary assistant (2,100)
Small Animal veterinary shadow (430)
Small animal emergency clinic shadow (350)
Equine vet/surgeon shadow (300)
Wildlife shadow (15)
Tufts AVM Program & Cornell Veterinary Exploration Program (30)

Animal Experience:
Zoo nursery assistant (20 hours a week this summer - expecting 350 hours)
Horseback instructor (200)
Horseback riding camp counselor (350)
Horseback rider (1500)
Member of equestrian team in high school (200 hours)
Wildlife shelter volunteer (60)
Cat/dog/rabbit shelter volunteer (80)
Planning to foster a puppy this summer for my rescue (500 hours?)
Coordinated a "ride for the cure" breast cancer horse show and raised over $3000 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation (100 hours)

Research Experience:
Psychological decision factors regarding human and pet clinical trials (150)
Autonomic research on indigenous bat species (60)

Non Animal Employment/Volunteer:
Admissions office tour guide ( 3 years of undergrad)
Receptionist at electrical engineering company (2 years during high school)
Kiddie soccer coach (1 year during undergrad)
Student note taker (3 years of undergrad)
Peer tutor for general biology, equine health and physics (2 years of undergrad)
My apartment is the "show room" for admissions tours (3 years undergrad)

Extracurricular Activities:
President/founder of pre vet club for 2 years (created and sold equine emergency kits to purchase animal oxygen masks for the local fire department, made over 100 toys out of donate towels for a rescue, held an anatomy bowl, sutured bananas, holding a blood typing program this week, attended the 2017 APVMA conference at NCSU, coordinated field trips to Penn & Cornell, held various veterinary speakers from all different fields)
Member of Tribeta Biology Honor Society (top biology majors)
Member of Golden Key Honor Society (top 15% of the school)
Member of I AM club, Evergreen Environmental club and LIONS club
Considering becoming a Student Government Senator next year?

College Awards:
Presidential scholarship (highest scholarship at my school -covers 75% tuition and has perks such as research with a professor, priority registration, priority housing, etc.)
APVMA scholarship
Making a Difference scholarship

High School Awards:
AP scholar award
Girl scout bronze and silver award
Douglas Sposato wildlife scholarship
Lt. Joseph Fenty scholarship
LI teachers benevolent scholarship
St. Johns soccer scholarship

High School Extracurricular Activities:
Member of National Honor Society
Member of Foreign Language Honor Society
Member of equestrian team
Member of breaking boundaries and clam cleanup club
JV cheerleader (freshman/sophomore year)
Travel soccer since I was 12 up until going away for college
Church volunteer (50 hours)

LoRs : they all have mentioned writing me awesome letters already :)
Small animal veterinarian
Equine vet/board certified surgeon
Advisor of pre-vet club who is a medical doctor who does my bat research with me
My actual advisor who is a marine biologist/PhD scientist who does my research on clinical trials with me

I am taking animal nutrition this summer online through K-State, and biochemistry through Stony Brook University (SUNY) and I just have to take Organic I (fall) and Microbiology (fall) and Organic II (spring) and my pre-requisites are done!!!

Thank so much for reading this! Please let me know what you think! I already know the GRE scores need improvement. And I am really trying to diverse my experience. I am applying for an internship at the aquarium for winter break/session but that won't be on my application if I get it. :(

@cdoconn because age. I would ask if you would actually go to Ross if accepted there and no where else. Also if you're willing to establish residency for a year do it, don't wait to get rejected first. It will vastly reduce your debt, a difference in monthly payments that will be a huge benefit. NCSU is insanely hard to get into as OOS. I didn't see a single one this past year on SDN and some had perfect applications. I don't mean to discourage you, you have great chances at a lot of places, and there's no harm in trying. But if all you want is NCSU move for residency.

@cdoconn because age. I would ask if you would actually go to Ross if accepted there and no where else. Also if you're willing to establish residency for a year do it, don't wait to get rejected first. It will vastly reduce your debt, a difference in monthly payments that will be a huge benefit. NCSU is insanely hard to get into as OOS. I didn't see a single one this past year on SDN and some had perfect applications. I don't mean to discourage you, you have great chances at a lot of places, and there's no harm in trying. But if all you want is NCSU move for residency.
Thanks for the tag Coopah! I'm a 20 year old, will be turning 21 this summer and going to OkState vet school in the fall. I second the "if you would actually go to Ross if accepted there and no where else?". That's a super important question- if not, don't waste time and money applying!

I wouldn't go to Ross even if I got in so there's no point, your right. I am really only considering schools that let you switch to instate tuition the second year. I am positive I want to establish residency for NC and have looked at condos there with a realtor and my parents. I was considering only applying to NCSU this year but I wanted to keep my options open by applying to a few others. I think the masters in animal science would look great, get me instate tuition and I could probably be a research student for a stipend on tuition so that's a bonus too so that's probably going to be the route I take if I get rejected as an OOS applicant. Even if I got into Cornell or Penn I don't think I would go because the tuition is insane and I really think I have a good chance at NCSU if I establish residency. Thank you so much for your input!

Thanks for the tag Coopah! I'm a 20 year old, will be turning 21 this summer and going to OkState vet school in the fall. I second the "if you would actually go to Ross if accepted there and no where else?". That's a super important question- if not, don't waste time and money applying!

Congrats on getting accepted! Did you have any worries about being too young? I have had several advisors/professors tell me that it shouldn't matter as long as you express your maturity in your personal statement, interviews, etc. But I also think if it was between me and another applicant who had the same stats and experience amount but they were say 25, they would take the other person.

@SummerTheLynx what's the percentage?
Is this in reference to smf15? If it was any school but nc-state, I would say very high. I had somewhat similar stats and got in off the wait list (a couple thousand hours more experience, slightly higher cGPA, lower sciences, slightly lower last 45). The others I would say you are very likely to get in. With regards to being too young, Mizzou is a school that favors younger applicants (a large chunk of our class is early admits). I personally think it's fine so long as YOU feel you are ready for it.

Congrats on getting accepted! Did you have any worries about being too young? I have had several advisors/professors tell me that it shouldn't matter as long as you express your maturity in your personal statement, interviews, etc. But I also think if it was between me and another applicant who had the same stats and experience amount but they were say 25, they would take the other person.
Hahahah oh boy. Short answer: YES.

So I was worried for the entire process. I had always been told I was too young. I got rejected from 4 schools back and then had a month and a half wait before getting accepted to OkState. It's perfectly normal to feel like that.
Is this in reference to smf15? If it was any school but nc-state, I would say very high. I had somewhat similar stats and got in off the wait list (a couple thousand hours more experience, slightly higher cGPA, lower sciences, slightly lower last 45). The others I would say you are very likely to get in. With regards to being too young, Mizzou is a school that favors younger applicants (a large chunk of our class is early admits). I personally think it's fine so long as YOU feel you are ready for it.
hahaha Ski told me to do a %, but I decided to tag you instead Because I know how much you love to talk about Mizzou loving fellow babies.

Thank you for responding! I am considering other schools that allow for you to become a resident for instate tuition your second year but I really am set on North Carolina which is why I'm considering the masters to establish residency and try again. You are at NCSU right now right? Can you let me know what you got on the GRE if you don't mind and any other stats you might find helpful! Thank you!

Thank you for responding! I am considering other schools that allow for you to become a resident for instate tuition your second year but I really am set on North Carolina which is why I'm considering the masters to establish residency and try again. You are at NCSU right now right? Can you let me know what you got on the GRE if you don't mind and any other stats you might find helpful! Thank you!
I am actually at Mizzou, Mizzou was a higher choice for me than NC-state. And I got a 6 on writing, 94th percentile in math, and 91st percentile in the other section (whose name is eluding me right now). I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head unfortunately...

I am actually at Mizzou, Mizzou was a higher choice for me than NC-state. And I got a 6 on writing, 94th percentile in math, and 91st percentile in the other section (whose name is eluding me right now). I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head unfortunately...

Wow good for you. And those numbers are super awesome and high lol. I did great on the writing portion but not so hot on the other two sections. But I didn't study at all so I'm going to devote some time to that and hopefully it will go up maybe 20 points + preferably when I take it in July again.

So hopefully you guys can offer some expert advice...
I am a 20 year-old female, NJ resident, majoring in Biology. I began taking my science courses 2 semesters ago, so I am cramming all of my upper-level sciences into my last year of undergrad, which was poorly planned. I still have to take both physics, biochem, micro, and general Chem II (as well as a few requirements for my specific college).This semester Orgo II and Calculus have been killing me and I currently have a C- in Calculus (not yet sure about Chem, as we just had our first exam). So I am currently on the fence about whether I should withdraw from Calculus and re-take the summer course at a local community college, or if I should toughen the final few weeks out and try to bring up the grade? I already have a W on my transcript from one science course, and unfortunately got a C+ in Orgo I. Neither option will look good to vet schools. What do you think my chances are of being accepted if I go either route?

Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.47

Vet experience:
1500+ hours as a Vet Assistant (small animal
100 hours Large Animal

Animal experience:
400 hours as an Intern at Wildlife Rehab Center
500 hours pet-sitting
100 hours volunteer at therapeutic riding center
100 hours animal shelter

President for animal club at school that gets involved with volunteer work
Member of 2 Honor Societies

The good news is that your cumulative GPA is high, and that's where the calculus grade goes- not into the lower science GPA.

I would recommend thinking seriously about whether you can do well in all those science classes in just one year. You're going to have to take more science classes at once, and they're likely going to be harder than the ones you've taken before. Right now your cumulative GPA is very good and your science GPA is a little on the low side- you don't want to tank both of them (along with your last 45 GPA) and make schools wonder whether you can handle vet school classes.

My suggestion is to do whatever you can to get your grade up in calculus. Definitely pester your professor in office hours and find a tutor. There are also a lot of online resources for calculus, like Khan Academy. Instead of retaking it, use your summer to take a couple science classes to make your senior year a little easier.

One caveat is that some schools don't look at science GPA and instead look at your pre-req GPA. Either way, pay most attention to classes that your schools will look at. I believe NJ contracts with Tuskegee, and you may want to choose schools that mainly look at cumulative GPA.

I wouldn't go to Ross even if I got in so there's no point, your right. I am really only considering schools that let you switch to instate tuition the second year. I am positive I want to establish residency for NC and have looked at condos there with a realtor and my parents. I was considering only applying to NCSU this year but I wanted to keep my options open by applying to a few others. I think the masters in animal science would look great, get me instate tuition and I could probably be a research student for a stipend on tuition so that's a bonus too so that's probably going to be the route I take if I get rejected as an OOS applicant. Even if I got into Cornell or Penn I don't think I would go because the tuition is insane and I really think I have a good chance at NCSU if I establish residency. Thank you so much for your input!

Like Coopah said, if you're not going to go somewhere even if it's the only school you get into, don't both applying. If you can get a stipend and free tuition, do the masters but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it (unless it's essential for your career post-DVM). Just get a job and save some money- you don't need to be a student to gain residency. NCSU is much less expensive than other schools, but that doesn't mean you should be adding debt or tuition payments if you don't need to.

It's true that NCSU is insanely competitive, but I kind of disagree with this. The difference over four years IS vs. OOS at NCSU is about $20,000. That's not insignificant, but unless smf15 can get a high-paying job in that gap year, it may make more sense to graduate a year earlier and start making the (relatively) high vet salary then. Over the course of a full career, I'd guess she'll come out ahead that way. Then again, you're the numbers person and I could certainly be wrong! It may be worth budgeting out possibilities.

@smf15, I'd recommend just applying to NCSU this year OOS, moving if rejected, and then applying to NCSU IS as well as some schools on the lower end of OOS tuition (so not Cornell, Penn, Ross, or UF). Your stats are good enough that you don't need to apply particularly strategically- just apply where it's least expensive.

One more little thing- are you estimating 500 hours just for that one dog, or is that all fostering past and future together? Make sure you're only including active time. My shelter has us record volunteer hours, and fosterers are told they can put up to one hour per day, if that helps.

If I didn't get in on my first attempt I plan to continue working as a vet tech, but would it be more beneficial to redo low pre-reqs or attempt to do a one year masters program? OR just get additional upper division science courses done?

If my animal/vet experience hours significantly outweigh my GPA 3.1/3.2 by the time I graduate) where should I mainly look at applying? I have a few schools in mind but I wanted to see other people's input! (I am a TX resident)

Some other questions:

1. The clinic I currently work at we have clients that come in with exotic cats (Savannah cats, Geoffrey cats), could I include these experiences under exotic animal experience? (I have also thought about putting in some hours at the local wildlife refuge to bump my hours in this department too)

2. When should I take my GRE and how much should I prep for it? (I have a book and have been using Magoosh)

3. When applying A&M will be done through TMDSAS and all other schools will be done through VMCAS, is that correct?

Thanks everyone :nod::nod::nod:

Some other questions:

1. The clinic I currently work at we have clients that come in with exotic cats (Savannah cats, Geoffrey cats), could I include these experiences under exotic animal experience? (I have also thought about putting in some hours at the local wildlife refuge to bump my hours in this department too)

2. When should I take my GRE and how much should I prep for it? (I have a book and have been using Magoosh)

3. When applying A&M will be done through TMDSAS and all other schools will be done through VMCAS, is that correct?

Thanks everyone :nod::nod::nod:

1) I wouldn't

2) I took the GRE twice...once in Feb and then super last minute in August when I decided to cough of $$ and see if I could improve my scores. The second time was worth it. Give yourself a couple months and then maybe you won't need to take it twice!

3) I know most schools use VMCAS. Not sure if any other exceptions besides A&M

Does Tufts use VMCAS now? I know they didn't the first time I applied, but that was a long time ago.

Yeah Tufts uses VMCAS now. I'm pretty sure all schools in the states (except a&m) use vmcas now.

Status
Not open for further replies.