This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Johnson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 3.52 cGPA with a MCAT score ~518 (hypothetically, taking it tomorrow!)

I am part of 4 clinical study/projects at Sickkids and Mt.Sinai in Toronto and in one of them I am the first author. I presented my work overseas during summer in California at an annual conference for pediatric research.

platform presentation + a poster presentation in research day/events in Toronto with my study.

I have about 6,7 consecutive years of volunteering at a hospice,hospital (2 years), retirement homes (2 years),
5 years of leadership experience,
9 years in a community orchestra (which donates all the raised funds idk where),
6th year in my school/club orchestra and with this orchestra, I performed at carnegie hall !
A few shadowing experiences, attending rounds and meetings conducted by my PI.

I have strong references, from my PI, a fellow I worked with, etc.

I know my cGPA is pretty crap but I hope that I have a chance with my extracurricular activities/ extensive research experience. I want to aim for a decent med school, but I wanted to get some feedback so I dont end up writing 10 essays for a school I have no chance of getting in.

Could you help me with a potential list of schools in the states?

(currently a PR in canada)

P.S. I heard that applying to an MD/Phd program = a slightly higher chance of getting in a states med school. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No use in hypothesizing. Come back when you get your MCAT. Everyone wants a 518 or above. Good luck tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
No use in hypothesizing. Come back when you get your MCAT. Everyone wants a 518 or above. Good luck tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi Thanks for your reply

Its because I am applying blind to my mcat score. It would be great if I could get an estimate then, for a mcat score ~500,~510, ~515

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Thanks for your reply

Its because I am applying blind to my mcat score. It would be great if I could get an estimate then, for a mcat score ~500,~510, ~515
Wouldn't recommend applying blind to your MCAT, especially this late in the cycle. Earliest you'll be complete at schools is a month from tomorrow, which is very late. I would consider taking a year off and applying early when you have an MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, it would be most wise to do your best tomorrow, see how it goes and apply early next cycle, leaving yourself time to make an informed school list and MCAT retake if needed.

I'll bite though:
500: Almost definitely need a retake, maybe could be accepted to newest DO schools.
510: All DO are in play, low tier MD and IS MD
515: Lower tier MD

Wouldn't recommend applying blind to your MCAT, especially this late in the cycle. Earliest you'll be complete at schools is a month from tomorrow, which is very late. I would consider taking a year off and applying early when you have an MCAT

I should just apply to canadian schools this cycle then :( thx guys.
no point in us schools?