MD What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carrygo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM with 3.6 Undergrad GPA in Bio, 3.7 Masters GPA and 498 MCAT. There are no more available test dates for the year in any cities relatively close to me. Should I apply in this cycle?

Note: I work full time to support my family and participated in multiple EC's and leadership experiences in undergrad

Members don't see this ad.

What URM group are you from exactly?
With your MCAT score, you are a stretch for most MD, although DO is possible for you.

I would recommend retaking the MCAT and applying next cycle and continuing to improve your application.

What URM group are you from exactly?
With your MCAT score, you are a stretch for most MD, although DO is possible for you.

I would recommend retaking the MCAT and applying next cycle and continuing to improve your application.

African American

Thank you for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's getting rather late this cycle. Study and retake the MCAT. You have a good GPA and with an improved MCAT you'll have vastly more options available.
Get everything together a be set to apply day 1 next cycle. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Are you open to DO? As of now I think you have a chance at most DO programs, but your MD chances will be very limited.

Your URM status and working full time to support your family will definitely help you out big time, but in the end schools still want to see that you are able to handle the medical school curriculum and avoid attrition. With a 498, there is uncertainty in their eyes to how successful you will be academically. If you can improve your MCAT to 504-505+, you will be competitive for a lot more MD schools and all DO schools.

If you could improve your MCAT to 505, or at least 500, then you would be competitive for schools such as Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Albany, New York Medical College and the SUNY's.

Are you open to DO? As of now I think you have a chance at most DO programs, but your MD chances will be very limited.

Your URM status and working full time to support your family will definitely help you out big time, but in the end schools still want to see that you are able to handle the medical school curriculum and avoid attrition. With a 498, there is uncertainty in their eyes to how successful you will be academically. If you can improve your MCAT to 504-505+, you will be competitive for a lot more MD schools and all DO schools.

I am considering applying to DO schools now. Any school suggestions?

It's getting rather late this cycle. Study and retake the MCAT. You have a good GPA and with an improved MCAT you'll have vastly more options available.
Get everything together a be set to apply day 1 next cycle. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Thank you. Unfortunately I submitted my application (only applied to two schools) during the first week of August so it is already being processed and no MCAT seat availability anywhere close to me because I currently live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I know I can bring my score up. Was scoring in the 500's on practice exams but missed a whole passage and the last group of freestanding questions on the C/P section on the real thing because I overestimated my time based on the extra time I had on my previous practice exams :(

You need to apply to more than 2 schools so include the ones I mentioned above and you could add these also:
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin