MD What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

she-doctorwannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments in advance! I decided to apply for the 2018 cycle recently, but I am still not quite sure if I could get into an MD school. I would appreciate any opinion!
Let me tell you about myself a little. I am not American, but I am a citizen who lives in the States for 4 years now. I grew up in a house that English wasn't the primary language (I actually didn't speak English until I was 16-17). I taught myself English unintentionally (because of a specific event that happened, I realized that I just picked up the language by watching youtube videos). Now, since I have been speaking English for 4 years, people can guess that I am from another country, but I have no problem communicating with others whatsoever.
I am a molecular biology major, and I am minoring in chemistry and political science. I have been working in the same research lab for 3 years now, and recently started working in another research lab. I did a summer internship last summer, and hopefully the paper from that research will be published soon.
I was the president of a student organization in my school, and I will be the social chair of another student organization in the fall semester.
In my personal statement, I am planning to focus on my different upbringing, and I want to elaborate more on why I chose to have a political science minor (I like politics, and I wanted to learn more about how things work in other countries. In the future, I am planning to go back to my country which is categorized as a developing country, and fix healthcare system there). However, I am afraid that the med schools will think that I don't need to be a doctor to fix the healthcare system, and I could choose a health administration path or something else. So, I would really appreciate if you could tell me your opinions about this matter as well.
I haven't done any shadowing, but I am planning to do it this upcoming semester (hopefully it will still count although I will be shadowing after I submit my application).

MCAT: 504 (127-125-127-125)
Cumulative GPA: 3.87-- it is going to decrease a little with my summer class grade :(

Thank you so much! I appreciate for reading my thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments in advance! I decided to apply for the 2018 cycle recently, but I am still not quite sure if I could get into an MD school. I would appreciate any opinion!
Let me tell you about myself a little. I am not American, but I am a citizen who lives in the States for 4 years now. I grew up in a house that English wasn't the primary language (I actually didn't speak English until I was 16-17). I taught myself English unintentionally (because of a specific event that happened, I realized that I just picked up the language by watching youtube videos). Now, since I have been speaking English for 4 years, people can guess that I am from another country, but I have no problem communicating with others whatsoever.
I am a molecular biology major, and I am minoring in chemistry and political science. I have been working in the same research lab for 3 years now, and recently started working in another research lab. I did a summer internship last summer, and hopefully the paper from that research will be published soon.
I was the president of a student organization in my school, and I will be the social chair of another student organization in the fall semester.
In my personal statement, I am planning to focus on my different upbringing, and I want to elaborate more on why I chose to have a political science minor (I like politics, and I wanted to learn more about how things work in other countries. In the future, I am planning to go back to my country which is categorized as a developing country, and fix healthcare system there). However, I am afraid that the med schools will think that I don't need to be a doctor to fix the healthcare system, and I could choose a health administration path or something else. So, I would really appreciate if you could tell me your opinions about this matter as well.
I haven't done any shadowing, but I am planning to do it this upcoming semester (hopefully it will still count although I will be shadowing after I submit my application).

MCAT: 504 (127-125-127-125)
Cumulative GPA: 3.87-- it is going to decrease a little with my summer class grade :(

Thank you so much! I appreciate for reading my thread!
I suggest:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Do you think University of Washington in Seattle would worth a try or no?

I live in Illinois. Therefore I plan to apply most of Illinois schools. My top choice would be UIC.
I live in Illinois. Therefore I plan to apply most of Illinois schools. My top choice would be UIC.
I suggest these schools if you are applying in June of 2018:
UIC
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
New York Medical College
GW
Quinnipiac
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, etc.)
You should not apply this year with no shadowing and clinical volunteering hours. You need 50 hours of shadowing (including primary care) and at least 100 hours of clinical volunteering (hospital setting would be good).

Your state schools are charged with educating doctors to provide care to residents of the state. They get state money for that purpose. As such, you might not impress the admission committees by declaring your intention to take your discount medical education out of the country. Not judging your personal goals, just saying, it is not consistent with the mission of the state medical schools, MD and DO alike.