MD What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugotmail382

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to be a junior in undergrad and I currently have a 3.89 cumulative gpa but after this semester I believe I am going to receive a C+ in organic chemistry 1 which will drop me down to a 3.82/3.83 cumulative gpa. Will having a C+ be very bad on my chances in getting to medical school? The rest of my classes I have an A+ and a few A-, but this class was so hard for me that I ended up receiving a C+. I am planning on taking the MCAT soon and would like to know what range I should be looking for to have a good chance at medical school. I plan to get research this summer and have that for about a year before the time I apply. Are there any suggestions to how I should make my application much better or does having this C+ mean I have lost my chances because its a pre-req for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax, don't let the neuroticism take hold. It is super common for people to barely get by in Orgo. Going into senior year with a 3.8 is a fantastic position to be in, if you don't get in somewhere it will not be because of your GPA. If you need proof, look at the 10th percentile GPAs at the top 10 universities, they are all in the 3.6-3.7 range.

Just make sure to do well generally as you finish school next year, don't slack on the MCAT and ECs, and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Im actually going into junior year with this gpa, I will still have to do a few pre-reqs but thank you so much for this I feel a lot better. Im planning on taking my MCAT during the spring of my Junior Year. Is it wise to take an easy semester and leave Biochemistry off until Senior year or should I just take it in the spring. I really need to focus on studying for the MCAT during that time period so I thought taking Biochem senior year would be my optimal choice. Will adcoms make a big deal if I take biochem the next year with all of my recs completed by Fall of my junior year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax, don't let the neuroticism take hold. It is super common for people to barely get by in Orgo. Going into senior year with a 3.8 is a fantastic position to be in, if you don't get in somewhere it will not be because of your GPA. If you need proof, look at the 10th percentile GPAs at the top 10 universities, they are all in the 3.6-3.7 range.

Just make sure to do well generally as you finish school next year, don't slack on the MCAT and ECs, and you will be fine.
Thx - great calming advice always trying to remind myself that the success of my application has more to it then just my GPA scores :)

Just one example, but I got a C+ in both Orgo 1 and 2. I received multiple MD interviews and 2 acceptances. So I wouldn't worry especially since all your other grades are good! Just keep working hard :)

Thank you all for giving me the advice, I actually ended up getting a high A on my final exam for orgo 1 because I learned from all my mistakes. I went from a C+ to a B flat so my gpa stands at a 3.87! Hopefully I wont make mistakes during organic chem 2 now that I have kind of learned what is expected in the class.