What Are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenApp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,
My cumulative GPA is around a 3.4, with a science around a 3.5+. My major is biomedical Sciences at UCF, I took the MCAT over summer, and obtained a 507, which kinda sucks because I tanked the CARs section, I did 2 killer passages I should have skipped, but they were on history which is on one of my favorite subjects so I unwisely did them. I averaged a 126 on the practice tests for CARS, but got a 123 CARs, 129 Psychology, 128 Chemical, and 127 Biology(didn't take physiology before the MCAT as well).

My first 2 years were pretty bad, but Ive had a dramatic upswing in my Grades, getting all A's and B's in my majors hardest classes, with All A's last semester, with an A in Anatomy, and an A in Physiology.

I've played Rugby all 4 years at my university, and will finish with 5, I've also become progressively involved each year, I was Secretary of the match 3 years, vice president 1, and president now. Rugby has practices 3 days a week for 2-3 hours each day, with usually a film day, and games on Saturday with over 50% travel

I started a Fraternity my Sophomore spring (SAE), and have held numerous positions within, like brotherhood educator, and athletic chair, and am still currently involved.

I was in ROTC my first 2 years at UCF.

Have 200+ volunteer hours at a hospital will finish with 400
100 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter
50 hours volunteering a summer reading program at a middle school

Doing shadowing this winter break, will shadow around 4/5 doctors for around 40+ hours.

Will be doing research during spring semester, and hopefully winter break.

I'm applying to USF for a masters in medical sciences, so basically after the masters what are my chances of obtaining my dream? Also should I retake the MCAT, or is that score good enough? I plan on casting a wide net for US Medical Schools ( so some comments on ones where my chances would be higher would be awesome - MD)

Thanks so much for the time to read this and respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence and which schools are you interested in?
Currently in Florida, and after I get my masters in medical science , UCF, FSU, FIU, USF , UF, FAU, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Buffalo, Suny, Albany, New York Medical College, ( I believe I still have in state in new york) OHSU, St louis, and any others I think I might have a shot at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest the following:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Netter

ALL FL schools

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons.

A 507 MCAT might be OK for SUNY Upstate and DS, but not Buffalo or SB.

Greetings,

Reactions: 1 user
Currently in Florida, and after I get my masters in medical science , UCF, FSU, FIU, USF , UF, FAU, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Buffalo, Suny, Albany, New York Medical College, ( I believe I still have in state in new york) OHSU, St louis, and any others I think I might have a shot at.
Your Florida schools are where your best chances are since you are a resident but also apply to some OOS schools from the list @Goro gave you.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following:

Temple

Jefferson

Drexel

WVU

Rosy Franklin

MCW

SLU

Creighton

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

NYMC

VCU

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Netter

ALL FL schools

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons.

A 507 MCAT might be OK for SUNY Upstate and DS, but not Buffalo or SB.

Thank you so much! do you think my MCAT is ok enough for those schools, or should I retake it?