What are my chances? PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH SOME INSIGHT :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was hoping for some insight from people on my chances of getting accepted to ireland or even to the carribean for med school. PS: SORRY IF THIS IS A LONG POST

ONLY FOR IRELAND AND THE CARRIBEAN!
so basically, i did an undergrad in bio and graduated with a 75% average but my marks were all over the place. (side note, i failed human phys bcuz i developed anemia and was out for 3 weeks of the semester but by then i had already missed too much class and the drop date so i really had no luck)

i am now doing a brand new degree in kinesiology because my old marks were so scattered (not because i am not a capable student but because i have not been the best test taker) and have recevied all As and one A+ except for 1 C+ (which i am redoing this year) and one B and B+. like i came into uni with a 95% average so.... im no dummy haha. my gpa is a 3.3 (stupid york gpa scale) when in reality my average should be (if were looking at it from % standpoint) a 85% or so. basically, if i can get all As this year and 3 A+'s ill have a york gpa of 3.8

i am using Next Step for my mcat prep and have gotten a 499 as my highest thus far, but thats without being confident fully in all my stuff. i still have plenty of study time. Aslo i am very well aware of what a good mcat score is but im being very realistic with myself and know that my chances of getting a 510 or so are slim to none. ive yet to get a 128 in any section yet. im averaging 125 right now on all my sections.

my extracurriculars are extensive: 5 years of reserach (including angioplasty on rabbits, observing open heart surgery, 4 publishings including a medical book, main editor of another book used in cardiac rehabilition), i worked in cardiac rehab for 5 months where i worked with patients and conducted reserach, i volunteered this past year at a community health center (for the entire school year) in a low income area where i worked under the guidance of a registered kinesiologist and got to lead exercise classes and work with clients 1 on 1. i was a competitive cheerleader for 10 years, now im doing recreational diving. i am the philanthropy chair of my sorority (respsonbile for conducting food drives, raising over $5000 for MS of Canada and women's battered shelters), health and wellness chair of my sorority, done lab reserach (2 summers), started my own food drive (raised 1250 lbs of food), and im probs missing a bunch lol

my referneces would be from 2 cardiovascular surgeons who are highly respected in their field, 2 registered kinesiologists and 1 professor thus far.

anyways, so this is my application in a nut shell. would love some thoughts and stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
come back with a real MCAT score. 500 and below is lethal. Aim for a 510+

i was hoping for some insight from people on my chances of getting accepted to ireland or even to the carribean for med school. PS: SORRY IF THIS IS A LONG POST

so basically, i did an undergrad in bio and graduated with a 75% average but my marks were all over the place. (side note, i failed human phys bcuz i developed anemia and was out for 3 weeks of the semester but by then i had already missed too much class and the drop date so i really had no luck)

i am now doing a brand new degree in kinesiology because my old marks were so scattered (not because i am not a capable student but because i have not been the best test taker) and have recevied all As and one A+ except for 1 C+ (which i am redoing this year) and one B and B+. like i came into uni with a 95% average so.... im no dummy haha. my gpa is a 3.3 (stupid york gpa scale) when in reality my average should be (if were looking at it from % standpoint) a 85% or so. basically, if i can get all As this year and 3 A+'s ill have a york gpa of 3.8

i am using Next Step for my mcat prep and have gotten a 499 as my highest thus far, but thats without being confident fully in all my stuff. i still have plenty of study time.

my extracurriculars are extensive: 5 years of reserach (including angioplasty on rabbits, observing open heart surgery, 4 publishings including a medical book, main editor of another book used in cardiac rehabilition), i worked in cardiac rehab for 5 months where i worked with patients and conducted reserach, i volunteered this past year at a community health center (for the entire school year) in a low income area where i worked under the guidance of a registered kinesiologist and got to lead exercise classes and work with clients 1 on 1. i was a competitive cheerleader for 10 years, now im doing recreational diving. i am the philanthropy chair of my sorority (respsonbile for conducting food drives, raising over $5000 for MS of Canada and women's battered shelters), health and wellness chair of my sorority, done lab reserach (2 summers), started my own food drive (raised 1250 lbs of food), and im probs missing a bunch lol

anyways, so this is my application in a nut shell. would love some thoughts and stuff
You might do well to post this in the more-relevant International Medicine forum further down on the list. This forum mainly assists US applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, but i dont expect to get into canada at all so im aiming for elsewhere. im trying desparately to get at least a 500 and im so darn close too! lol

thanks, but i dont expect to get into canada at all so im aiming for elsewhere. im trying desparately to get at least a 500 and im so darn close too! lol
The mean MCAT for successful internationals in the US (for MD) is 515.

The mean MCAT for successful internationals in the US (for MD) is 515.
im not applying to the USA. like i said, i know i wont get in so im applying to ireland and carribean

Many of those schools will take anyone...
The odds of getting a residency and practicing can be vanishingly small.
Im well aware but not so much with ireland and the school in grenada is the onyl one id apply to. i know that getting back will be a challenge but i am not one to give up

and i am doing my best to get a good score! im aware that my score isnt incredible but put me down please.

and i am doing my best to get a good score! im aware that my score isnt incredible but put me down please.
The score itself is far less important than your ability to use your knowledge on a standardized test (if you have already decided to go offshore). We have seen applicants get accepted to your target schools with far worse applications. The real issue is getting to the point that you would be allowed to even take Step 1, and beyond.

Reactions: 1 user
The score itself is far less important than your ability to use your knowledge on a standardized test (if you have already decided to go offshore). We have seen applicants get accepted to your target schools with far worse applications. The real issue is getting to the point that you would be allowed to even take Step 1, and beyond.
sorry for my naivete but what is step 1

one thing about me is that i am one heck of a hard worker and incredibly determined. i know med school will be a challenge for me but i am have worked this hard to get to where i am that i will do anything to be successful

one thing about me is that i am one heck of a hard worker and incredibly determined. i know med school will be a challenge for me but i am have worked this hard to get to where i am that i will do anything to be successful
and luckily, im not from the uSA so that exam is something i dont think ill have to take

sorry for my naivete but what is step 1
USMLE Step 1: www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-1/2016content_step1.pdf

Medical schools (even in the Caribbean) are licensed to administer this standardized test. Any MD who intends to return to North America to practice must take and pass this and several other such tests. Access to this test can be delayed or denied until a student has shown evidence that they will pass. A significant (though undisclosed) number of Caribbean students are never allowed to take this test.

No matter how hard you are willing to work or how determined you are, if you are not allowed to take the test, you will not succeed.

Reactions: 1 users
im not applying to the USA. like i said, i know i wont get in so im applying to ireland and carribean

Ireland is highly competitive to get into. That's literally the first option for Canadian med school rejects. Scores around 500 might not be enough for Ireland either.

ONLY FOR IRELAND AND THE CARRIBEAN!

i am using Next Step for my mcat prep and have gotten a 499 as my highest thus far, but thats without being confident fully in all my stuff. i still have plenty of study time. Aslo i am very well aware of what a good mcat score is but im being very realistic with myself and know that my chances of getting a 510 or so are slim to none. ive yet to get a 128 in any section yet. im averaging 125 right now on all my sections.

my referneces would be from 2 cardiovascular surgeons who are highly respected in their field, 2 registered kinesiologists and 1 professor thus far.

500 will not get you anywhere in Ireland, check the Ireland forums for advice.

500 will not get you anywhere in Ireland, check the Ireland forums for advice.
yeah :( but luckily i have already raised my score in practice by over 10 point which is fantastic!