General Admissions & OTCAS What are my chances of getting into OT school this 2018 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md5300

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, recently I have been stressing out about applying to OT school and doubting if I should even give it a shot this cycle. Just wanted to know some of your thoughts on my stats.
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.5
Experience: - Physical Therapy Tech for 2 months so far
- 4 years of work experience in non-medical field
Observation Hours: 10 pediatric clinic hours, 20 hours in nursing home
* I know this is where I need the most improvement but I have just had such a hard time getting into hospitals and even clinics. I have reached out to about 20 different OT clinics in my area and have had no luck.
Volunteer experience: Total of 4 months at the Lighthouse (Non-profit organization for the visually impaired), & Special Olympics Coaching (4 months)
LOR's: Professor, CEO of company I work for, Coordinator of the Special Olympics organization that I volunteer for, & possibly the PT who is the owner of the clinic I currently am a tech at..?
GRE: Quantitative: 155 / Verbal: 153 / W:4

Members don't see this ad.

I built up my hours by reaching out to local elementary/middle/high schools to see if they had an OT that I could observe.

Try looking into your local school system and seeing if the OTs that work there need help during the summer! A lot of them do private home visits in the summer (at least in my area they do) and need help during the summer or wouldn't mind you tagging along to the home visits. Its a good way to get volunteer hours and its a setting that many people don't have. Also a good way to build a relationship for future fieldwork sites!