What are my chances for US MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuingmydream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to know the chance of getting into the US Med school.

My cumulative GPA is 3.21 and Science GPA is 3.0. Majored in Mathematics and worked as a cyber security system engineer prior to finishing up prerequisite for med school at a local university. Graduated in '15 and finished pre-med courses this summer '17. Took MCAT for the first time. 478. ****ing awful. The MAJOR MISTAKE I made was that i took it lightly and did not study at all. Going to take it again in September 1st. If I do not get 513 this time, I am going to caribbean school (SGU,SABA,AUC,ROSS)

My clinical/non-clinical experiences/extra curriculums:
E.R. Scribe
Mohs histotechnician
Volunteered at a local clinic as a Pharmacy Technician
Soccer club
President & secretary of Pi Mu Epsilon
Mentor at university entrepreneurship program

Members don't see this ad.

if u are URM u may have the slightest shot at us MD schools if u do well on the mcat. But seriously, don't go to the carribean

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All,

My cumulative GPA is 3.21 and Science GPA is 3.0. Majored in Mathematics and worked as a cyber security system engineer prior to finishing up prerequisite for med school at a local university. Graduated in '15 and finished pre-med courses this summer '17. Took MCAT for the first time. 478. ****ing awful. The MAJOR MISTAKE I made was that i took it lightly and did not study at all. Going to take it again in September 1st. If I do not get 513 this time, I am going to caribbean school (SGU,SABA,AUC,ROSS)

E.R. Scribe
Mohs histotechnician
Soccer club
The Carib schools prey upon naïve and gullible marks like you. So, pay attention:

As long as you have a pulse and can write an up-front tuition check, chances in the Carib are excellent.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Quoting the wise gyngyn: The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

Cue tot he Lotto winners to come in sputtering about NRMP, trying to justify their successful but risky choices.

So, OP, your chances for MD and DO right now are lethal. Raise the MCAT > 510 and you're fine for DO IF you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

E.R. Scribe
Mohs histotechnician
Soccer club

I don't want to be harsh, but isn't a 478 the lowest score anyone can get on the MCAT? Frankly that points to bigger issues aside from the fact that you didn't think you needed to take what is widely regarded as the most difficult entrance exam seriously.

Frankly it doesn't seem like you're cut out for this path. You could potentially get into a DO school with a high MCAT, but this whole thread just screams that you don't understand what it entails to get into medical school and dont have a realistic impression of medical schools in general.

Thanks all for the honest answer. What is URM? It seems like I have no chance for US MD. hmm..

My thought was, if i don't get into the US MD/DO, then i would go to a school in caribbean for 2yrs and then do clinical rotation in the US for 2yrs. Just 2yrs at caribbean and work my ass off then do rotation in the US. Is it hard to get into clinical rotation in the US?

No worries, you're not being harsh. i appreciate your honest opinion and your input. I have a high risky behavior that I like to challenge myself and achieve my goal even if it is impossible to get it. I have a couple of friends who got into the US med with low-gpa and <500 MCAT score. I thought it was impossible too, to get into the US Med but they gave me a hope to try and thus i am giving a shot. Thank you all for response.

Thanks all for the honest answer. What is URM? It seems like I have no chance for US MD. hmm..

My thought was, if i don't get into the US MD/DO, then i would go to a school in caribbean for 2yrs and then do clinical rotation in the US for 2yrs. Just 2yrs at caribbean and work my ass off then do rotation in the US. Is it hard to get into clinical rotation in the US?

You don't seem to understand the process. If you go to the Caribbean you go for two years for preclinical. Then if the school decides you are eligible they'll "help" set up rotations. Your degree will be from the Caribbean school not a US school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I know, my degree will be from the Caribbean school and I do understand the process. Why would i think my degree will be from a US school if i go to a school in Caribbean? Lol?

The trouble is that everyone who thinks that the Carib is a viable option thinks like you, ie, "I'll ace Step I and work ass off".

I'm sorry to be harsh, but what about your academic history suggests that you can do exactly that? Do note that we are trying to keep you from being unemployed and deeply in debt.

Reactions: 2 users
I know, my degree will be from the Caribbean school and I do understand the process. Why would i think my degree will be from a US school if i go to a school in Caribbean? Lol?

I would recommend considering Caribbean only if you've applied and failed multiple times to US schools. Are you a US citizen? What is your state of residence?

Goro, you are not being harsh. I appreciate your opinion. No one should ever feel harsh towards me. Please feel free to say anything and I invited everyone's opinions. I take criticism as a gold, if that makes sense.

In my honest opinion, yes i do feel scared of going to a school in Caribbean and don't want to be unemployed and deeply in debt. But it seems like it's only the option for me as of now. I could always go back to my previous job and make a decent living. However, that's not what I want. The only thing I really want to do is to study medicine. Not bc of money or fame or prestige, etc. I am genuinely interested in medicine.

I don't want to be harsh, but isn't a 478 the lowest score anyone can get on the MCAT? Frankly that points to bigger issues aside from the fact that you didn't think you needed to take what is widely regarded as the most difficult entrance exam seriously.

Frankly it doesn't seem like you're cut out for this path. You could potentially get into a DO school with a high MCAT, but this whole thread just screams that you don't understand what it entails to get into medical school and dont have a realistic impression of medical schools in general.
472 is the lowest score. 118 * 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
472 is the lowest score. 118 * 4.

I stand corrected, and OP I don't mean to be a downer I'm genuinely hoping to give you pause to reflect on this plan. You're clearly a smart individual to have done reasonably well in a difficult program like math, I'm sure you can find a self satisfying line of work. Just think long and hard before seriously pursuing this one.

I've got nothing to lose. I've already resigned from my previous job and I've thought about this journey very thoroughly and long. I committed 100% that i am gonna devote my time and effort towards medicine. I was just stupid AF that i did not take MCAT very seriously. I took it right after my finals and did not fully prepare for it. Who knew MCAT would be that hard? I aced SAT but hell MCAT is just another level, as everyone says it's the most difficult entry exam. As of now, I am taking a Kaplan course and I've been improving a lot. But still i have not achieved >510 on the practice exam yet.

I stand corrected, and OP I don't mean to be a downer I'm genuinely hoping to give you pause to reflect on this plan. You're clearly a smart individual to have done reasonably well in a difficult program like math, I'm sure you can find a self satisfying line of work. Just think long and hard before seriously pursuing this one.
Btw didn't mean to be a wise ass regarding your original assessment of OP's situation. Just wanted to throw the fact out there than 472 is minimum lol.

Btw didn't mean to be a wise ass regarding your original assessment of OP's situation. Just wanted to throw the fact out there than 472 is minimum lol.

Def did not take it that way man all good! If you're serious, good luck OP. But please heed Goro's advice and NEVER consider a caribbean school.

[BOLD] My thought was, if i don't get into the US MD/DO, then i would go to a school in caribbean for 2yrs and then do clinical rotation in the US for 2yrs. Just 2yrs at caribbean and work my ass off then do rotation in the US. Is it hard to get into clinical rotation in the US?[/BOLD]

Sorry that I upset you but the way you worded the last couple of sentences it sounded to me like you didn't understand the process. But whatever... Really think hard about going to the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on going to a Caribbean school. Tell me why you would not go, in your personal opinion. Not bc what you read or heard from somebody. And also put yourself in my shoes and tell me what you would have done to go to US med school. (Retake classes? do SMP? take MCAT >x3 and get higher score? Of course, higher score on MCAT/high gpa would help. I know.) Even though my academic performance was not stellar, but I am extremely good at what I do (math and comp sci). My skills are valuable, not my grades. I worked closely with high gov't officials and the US military prior to resignation. I never had "good" grades and I've always been on a different level of intelligence. If I had known high GPA and high MCAT score are the big factors for med schools, I would have done much better and in a sincere manner. What frustrates me the most is knowing the fact that I have no chance getting into the medical school in the US due to low GPA and MCAT score. That's why I am considering a school in Caribbean.

A few months ago, I met a few physicians who are Caribbean grads and talked with them. They gave me so many negative views as well as positive views of schools in Caribbean. I found the data from nmrp.org surprising. But I am still willing to take a risk and see for myself. Those who commented/replied, did you already graduated from medical school in the US/Caribbean?

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on going to a Caribbean school. Tell me why you would not go, in your personal opinion. Not bc what you read or heard from somebody. And also put yourself in my shoes and tell me what you would have done to go to US med school. (Retake classes? do SMP? take MCAT >x3 and get higher score? Of course, higher score on MCAT/high gpa would help. I know.) Even though my academic performance was not stellar, but I am extremely good at what I do (math and comp sci). My skills are valuable, not my grades. I worked closely with high gov't officials and the US military prior to resignation. I never had "good" grades and I've always been on a different level of intelligence. If I had known high GPA and high MCAT score are the big factors for med schools, I would have done much better and in a sincere manner. What frustrates me the most is knowing the fact that I have no chance getting into the medical school in the US due to low GPA and MCAT score. That's why I am considering a school in Caribbean.

A few months ago, I met a few physicians who are Caribbean grads and talked with them. They gave me so many negative views as well as positive views of schools in Caribbean. I found the data from nmrp.org surprising. But I am still willing to take a risk and see for myself. Those who commented/replied, did you already graduated from medical school in the US/Caribbean?

I'm a pre-med getting ready to apply next cycle. You'll want to retake classes and raise your gpa to as close to a 3.4 as you can get it. Then you'll also want to do extremely well on your MCAT 508+ and then apply to DO schools.

I wouldn't go to a Caribbean schools if I were in your shoes because your test scores and GPA show that you are highly likely to fail out of medical school, which will put you hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no ability to practice medicine. Even in my case where my scores show I would be able to pass med school the chances of getting a match in residency simply is not worth the risk. 15 years ago the Caribbean may of been a viable way to practice medicine in the US but it just isn't anymore especially for someone with your stats. Med schools sadly and truthfully don't really care about your skills no matter how valuable they may be if you don't have the stats to go along with them. You have a chance of getting into a DO school but it won't be easy and it will take a long time of retaking classes and studying for your MCAT (think 3+ months of full time study for it). Either commit fully to going DO and prove to yourself you can do it or change careers it honestly really is as simple as that.

Thanks Optimist Prime, i appreciate your valuable opinion. I completely understand where you're coming from. My stats don't look good.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your current stat? (GPA/MCAT/extra cur/your background).

Thanks Optimist Prime, i appreciate your valuable opinion. I completely understand where you're coming from. My stats don't look good.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your current stat? (GPA/MCAT/extra cur/your background).
White male
3.84 cGPA, 3.81 sGPA , studying for MCAT currently getting around 509 on practice tests but I don't take it for another 5 months so I'm aiming 512-514+
150 hours volunteering at a hospice (should be 300-400 by the time I apply)
150 hours volunteering at a children's shelter (should be 300 by the time I apply)
1.5 years of research
70 hours shadowing
800+ hours as a DSP working with mentally disabled people

To be honest, I don't even know if any of the top four Caribbean schools will take a student with a 478. Without URM status, MD is probably impossible without 2+ years of full time coursework and a 510+ MCAT. You have the GPA for DO, just not the MCAT. With your GPA, any MCAT at 500+ would get you into a DO but that 478 might require a higher MCAT on retake (505+ maybe).

It's much easier to come back from a terrible MCAT than a terrible GPA. Study 20+ hours a week or the MCAT with a practice test a week and take the test in January. If the score is sub 505, study full time and retake in May. I would listen to Goro's advice and steer clear of the Carribean.

Good Luck!