What are my chances for NOVA for upcoming cycle? 3.2 OVR GPA and 3.0 SCI GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevchenko277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I joined this forum a year ago but was hesitant to make any posts. I am applying to optometry school for this upcoming cycle. My overall GPA is 3.2 and science GPA is 3.0. I am currently studying for OAT and will take it in August. I also have an upward grade trend for the past five semesters. I just graduated with my BS in biology and am trying to shadow an optometrist at the moment. MY EC's include volunteering at a hospital and food bank, guitar teacher, musician at college events, Big Brother mentor and Student Government senator. My first few semesters had C's in some prereqs due to lack of focus and my Crohn's disease.
This is my grades for my last couple of semesters but I still have to take biochemistry:

Spring 2017

Plant Life History: A
Calculus 2: B
Physiology Lab: A
Human Anatomy: B
Human Anatomy Lab: B+

Fall 2017
Oceanography: B+
Tropical Botany: A
Tropical Ecology: B
General Microbiology: B

Summer 2016
Parasitology: A
Parasitology lab: A
Physiology: A
Senior Seminar: A
Medical Terminology: A

Spring 2016
Histology:B
Calculus 1(Retake): A
Physics 2: A
Physics Lab: A

Fall 2016
Embryology: B
Embryology Lab: A
Evolution: A-
Ecology lab: A
Public Health: A

What are my chances for Nova Optometry? What should I do to make myself more competitive? Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a shot as long as your OAT is competitive. Aim for a 330 or higher and apply as soon as the applications open. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a shot as long as your OAT is competitive. Aim for a 330 or higher and apply as soon as the applications open. Good luck!
Thank You evorage. I will study hard for the OAT exam

Hi Guys, I joined this forum a year ago but was hesitant to make any posts. I am applying to optometry school for this upcoming cycle. My overall GPA is 3.2 and science GPA is 3.0. I am currently studying for OAT and will take it in August. I also have an upward grade trend for the past five semesters. I just graduated with my BS in biology and am trying to shadow an optometrist at the moment. MY EC's include volunteering at a hospital and food bank, guitar teacher, musician at college events, Big Brother mentor and Student Government senator. My first few semesters had C's in some prereqs due to lack of focus and my Crohn's disease.
This is my grades for my last couple of semesters but I still have to take biochemistry:

Spring 2017

Plant Life History: A
Calculus 2: B
Physiology Lab: A
Human Anatomy: B
Human Anatomy Lab: B+

Fall 2017
Oceanography: B+
Tropical Botany: A
Tropical Ecology: B
General Microbiology: B

Summer 2016
Parasitology: A
Parasitology lab: A
Physiology: A
Senior Seminar: A
Medical Terminology: A

Spring 2016
Histology:B
Calculus 1(Retake): A
Physics 2: A
Physics Lab: A

Fall 2016
Embryology: B
Embryology Lab: A
Evolution: A-
Ecology lab: A
Public Health: A

What are my chances for Nova Optometry? What should I do to make myself more competitive? Any advice will be greatly appreciated !
Hey! I go there for undergrad and the admissions team for their optometry school tells me *everything* (which I love!)
Honestly, don't fret. you have a really nice foundation. They look hard at physics, and with those A's, I'll assume you'll kill that section in the OAT, so you're in a very safe place. I would say try to take an optics course, but if not, don't worry.

When (see what I did there!) they call you for an interview, just stay calm. They're very cool. I've heard the stories that people with perfect OAT and perfect GPA gets rejected for their atrocious interview.

Also, idk if you know, but when you get accepted, you'll need an ipad with retina display... Like, that's required.

Should I retake any prereqs with C's ?

Not meaning to steal this thread at all but I took Calc I and got a C- ,but my main school that I am focusing on is SCCO and their minimum grade requirement for pre-reqs are a "C-" or better. I do plan on applying to other schools as well including Western and all other schools but they require a minimum of "C" or better, should I retake Calculus before or after sending my applications?

Last edited:
Not meaning to steal this thread at all but I took Calc I and got a C- ,but my main school that I am focusing on is SCCO and their minimum grade requirement for pre-reqs are a "C-" are better. I do plan on applying to other schools as well including Western and all other schools but they require a minimum of "C" or better, should I retake Calculus before or after sending my applications?
Optomcas (the common application) does 1) grade forgiveness and 2) not apply +/- towards grades. Call each individual school just in case they use the transcript gpa more than the Optomcas GPA.

Not meaning to steal this thread at all but I took Calc I and got a C- ,but my main school that I am focusing on is SCCO and their minimum grade requirement for pre-reqs are a "C-" or better. I do plan on applying to other schools as well including Western and all other schools but they require a minimum of "C" or better, should I retake Calculus before or after sending my applications?

Hi JustinYurEyez ! I think if you're only applying to SCO, you may not need to retake Calc 1 but if you are applying to other schools with C as the min requirements then you should retake it.