What are my chances for EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super_Verde

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ross Student (US IMG)
Step 1--> 246
Step 2 CK-->269
I take CS in 2 months (failure is not an option)
2 EM electives scheduled (going to bust my ass to get 2 SLOEs)
GPA 3.99 as of now
No gaps, no red flags

What do you think my chances are of matching EM 2017?

Any advice to increase my chances of matching to EM?

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do as many aways as possible at programs that have a history of taking IMGs.
2. Apply to as many programs as possible on the first day that applications become available.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Do as many aways as possible at programs that have a history of taking IMGs.
2. Apply to as many programs as possible on the first day that applications become available.

I planned on doing both of those things. Beside that, do you think I have a decent shot with my scores & electives in place?

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned on doing both of those things. Beside that, do you think I have a decent shot with my scores & electives in place?

If you can impress on aways and get great SLOEs then yes you should have a good shot with your stats.

Even being from a Carib school, I'd think that with stats like those you'd be able to get it assuming you apply wisely. I'd be interested to hear what some of the attendings have to say about this one...

I'm only a lowly MS1, but have shadowed in my home institution's ED enough to know the residents (many of which are IMGs) and PD somewhat well. As long as you apply to IMG-friendly programs, with those stats it shouldn't be a problem.

Ross Student (US IMG)
Step 1--> 246
Step 2 CK-->269
GPA 3.99 as of now
No gaps, no red flags

-Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how did you end up in Caribbean for MD? It seems like you obviously did really well at Ross and probably could have done well at US MD. What made you choose Ross?

Reactions: 1 user
Your numbers are basically the exact same as mine. Like literally the exact same. The only difference is Im not an IMG. You should be fine with those scores. I got 21 interviews, went on 17. Finding out where I'm matching in 3 hrs. There were plenty of programs where I saw a lot of people from carribean programs on the interview trail. The IMG status will definitely make things a lot harder, if I were you, I'd apply to upto 80 - 100 programs (spend that extra money upfront for peace of mind). That extra 1000 dollars will be a drop in the bucket, and may mean another 4-5 interviews than what you would have otherwise gotten. The interview cycle is a crap shoot. Just be safe. At the end of the day you need 12 interviews to guarantee a match.

Also, PM me, I interviewed at atleast 4 programs where I saw Carribean medical students interviewing, and a few from Ross.

Also, I actually saw that Carribean students were doing upto 3 EM rotations - the SLOEs are the most important factor in your application. 2 is the bare minimum. 2 will not hold you back, but if you can perform highly in 3.....won't hurt. Nothing to fret too much about...I personally did 2. One home month and one away at Cincinnati. Never held me back. But I just saw a lottttt of people on the interview tour with 3.

Your numbers are basically the exact same as mine. Like literally the exact same. The only difference is Im not an IMG. You should be fine with those scores. I got 21 interviews, went on 17. Finding out where I'm matching in 3 hrs. There were plenty of programs where I saw a lot of people from carribean programs on the interview trail. The IMG status will definitely make things a lot harder, if I were you, I'd apply to upto 80 - 100 programs (spend that extra money upfront for peace of mind). That extra 1000 dollars will be a drop in the bucket, and may mean another 4-5 interviews than what you would have otherwise gotten. The interview cycle is a crap shoot. Just be safe. At the end of the day you need 12 interviews to guarantee a match.

Also, PM me, I interviewed at atleast 4 programs where I saw Carribean medical students interviewing, and a few from Ross.

Also, I actually saw that Carribean students were doing upto 3 EM rotations - the SLOEs are the most important factor in your application. 2 is the bare minimum. 2 will not hold you back, but if you can perform highly in 3.....won't hurt. Nothing to fret too much about...I personally did 2. One home month and one away at Cincinnati. Never held me back. But I just saw a lottttt of people on the interview tour with 3.
Agree with the above. Your scores are great, and won't hold you back at all- your main concern is going to be IMG status. Honor your aways and apply broadly, and you've got a very good chance. Good luck, and have fun next year!

You sound like a really solid dude. Definitely should have a good shot in EM, as everyone else said. As a worst-case scenario its probably a good idea to apply to some family medicine programs as a backup. You can at least back-door into EM through a fellowship. Obviously this track doesn't allow you to work EM in a big trauma center, but it does still allow you to do most of the stuff EM trained guys do. Its still better than not matching.

Where'd ya match?

Ross Student (US IMG)
Step 1--> 246
Step 2 CK-->269
GPA 3.99 as of now
No gaps, no red flags

-Thanks!
Hey did u match? What happened ??