DO What are my chances for DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgoldenboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently decided, after graduating college, that I want to pursue DO school. I graduated from a respected liberal arts school with a double degree in Neuroscience and Philosophy, but did pretty horribly in a lot of my pre-med classes (mostly C's and B-'s, but early on in college). I ended up with a 2.7 sGPA, and a 3.0 cGPA. I am now in the process of doing an informal post bac, but have just realized that even if I ace all of the recommended pre-med courses (A & P 1 +2, Genetics, Microbiology) and ace all of the pre-reqs I still need (Physics 1 & 2 + Biochem), I still could only push myself to a 3.1 sGPA. So far, I have retaken Cell Bio and Bio 1 (which I thought I could grade replace), and finished up A & P 1, all with A's. Although it is hard to project without an MCAT score (lets assume I score ~508), I would like to know whether I have a decent shot at getting into a DO school IF I ace all of the classes mentioned.

I do also have this going for me, and will likely add by the time I plan to apply (2019):
1. 2 years as a clinical research coordinator with a decent amount of patient contact
2. Shadowed a DO for 50+ hours and will get a rec
3. Good recs from my PI and professors
3. First author on a book chapter for a primer textbook related to what we research in the lab
4. A handful of posters
5. An A in my Neuroscience thesis

If anyone could shed some light, or make any suggestions, that would be very much appreciated. A lot of assumptions made, but I really would like to get a more accurate perspective so I don't spend the next three years working my tail off in vain.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By the way, I am a caucasian male that is currently a resident of MA. @Goro if you get a chance to reply.

Last edited:
Well since grade replacement is no longer a thing really it will be alot harder. If you were to get As in every class you're taking then you would have a huge upward trend that would likely catch the eye of someone. Getting in won't be easy but it is possible. Also without MCAT it is hard to judge, as for people with your gpa and a good MCAT can really help. Also if and when you apply, apply early and very broad will help your chances significantly. Overall chances aren't high but could be worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.1 sGPA would be fine for some of the newer DO schools as long as you score 505 or higher on the MCAT. Also by 2019 there will be several more new DO schools opening up. Some of the new DO schools have MCAT medians for their matriculating students in the 498 to 502 range.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think that I could still be competitive for a more established DO school like UNECOM?

Certainly. Thanks for the feedback! I feel more confident in my plan.