What are my chances? cGPA 3.8 DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukeCage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

Here are some things about me:
white
cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: ~3.75
mcat: tbd
2 years experience as a bio research assistant (1 national scholarship, 1 university scholarship)
200+ hours volunteering in hospital
50+ hours volunteering in a nursing home.
1300+ clinical work hours
50+ hours of shadowed MD and DOs.
DO rec letter

Any recommendations for MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nobody can tell without the new MCAT, do as well as you can.

Aim for at least a 505 for DO, 510 for MD.

Do not retake if you are not confident you will do several points better, two sub-500 MCATs are a lot more problematic than one.

Reactions: 2 users
With your current MCAT you have a chance for interviews at some DO schools including:
MSUCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
For MD only Central Michigan is possible with a 498.
Post your new MCAT score when available in August and if significantly improved you may be able to add more MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.77 sGPA/cGPA and a 493 MCAT
I applied to 3 schools: LECOM, LMU-DCOM, and ARCOM
I interviewed at LMU-DCOM and ARCOM and was accepted at both schools. While a stronger MCAT is definitely better to have, it's not the only factor they look at.
My advice: Come off sincere and dedicated to their missions in your personal statement. Also it doesn't hurt to have lots of EC's and great LOR's

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a 3.77 sGPA/cGPA and a 493 MCAT
I applied to 3 schools: LECOM, LMU-DCOM, and ARCOM
I interviewed at LMU-DCOM and ARCOM and was accepted at both schools. While a stronger MCAT is definitely better to have, it's not the only factor they look at.
My advice: Come off sincere and dedicated to their missions in your personal statement. Also it doesn't hurt to have lots of EC's and great LOR's

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you for your insight! where did you end up going?

IMO with your current score, you may only get looks from some of the newer DO schools (Excluding RVU -UT; RVU in general is extremely picky) and DO schools that place heavy emphasis on gpa (VCOM & LECOM come to mind.)

If you hit the 505+ mark you will have a shot at most DO schools and state MD schools.

If you hit 510+, you will be golden for all DO schools, and I would assume a handful of OOS MD doors may open to you as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, do you know how long it takes for it to send electronically my test scores?