What are good some medical apps used by medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we make a list of good/reliable medical apps that are used by medical students on their smart devices?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe there's a thread about this on another subforum.

epocrates gets the most use from me during family practice.

Overall, genius scan has saved my butt more than any other app. It's a PDF scanner that allows emailing.

Epocrates

Canopy - translator app/ speaks medical spanish for you, really cool idea

UpToDate

Figure 1 - highly, highly suggest everyone try this out, it's free

MedPulse

Firecracker - major overhaul and update coming within weeks

Dropbox

Candy Crush - :nono:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Epocrates

Canopy - translator app/ speaks medical spanish for you, really cool idea

UpToDate

Figure 1 - highly, highly suggest everyone try this out, it's free

MedPulse

Firecracker - major overhaul and update coming within weeks

Dropbox

Candy Crush - :nono:
Don't forget webMd and Wikipedia.

wow, thanks for the suggestions.

Keep them coming, guys!

I love the Read app. It links to journals through your school library login. It sends me daily links to important papers in the field I set it to and also new articles in journals I am following.

For clinicals:

Epocrates, MedCalc, CDC Abx guidelines, and DxSaurus are the "Big 4" I use on almost a daily basis.

Other good apps:

BluCard - essential for pediatrics or any specialty that works with kids
Eponyms - great database of medical eponyms
PolyglotMed - quick and easy to use medical spanish reference

Reactions: 1 users
Facebook
Snapchat
Tinder

Reactions: 4 users
AHRQ ePSS - preventive service database calculator, very useful for outpatient

GoodRx - you search for any prescription drug and it finds the prices at local pharmacies, or finds coupons to give to patients for discounts on prescriptions. good for outpatient work, especially if you see a lot of uninsured patients. of course we're not the ones prescribing, but it's something good to keep in mind or perhaps suggest to whoever is prescribing

CDC has an app for vaccine schedules

ABFM exam app - Family Medicine practice questions

AHRQ ePSS - preventive service database calculator, very useful for outpatient

GoodRx - you search for any prescription drug and it finds the prices at local pharmacies, or finds coupons to give to patients for discounts on prescriptions. good for outpatient work, especially if you see a lot of uninsured patients. of course we're not the ones prescribing, but it's something good to keep in mind or perhaps suggest to whoever is prescribing

CDC has an app for vaccine schedules

ABFM exam app - Family Medicine practice questions
I see someone is studying for the FM shelf. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha! the name is adorable.
I like this pic:
dinosaur.png

But I thought it really does help with having a good differential esp. when you're a student and have no idea.

I've used AgileMD with the UCSF Hospitalist Handbook and UCSF Outpatient Medicine handbooks. They cost some cash, but the digital versions are far more useful. I've actually preferred it to Sabatine's MGH Handbook of Internal Medicine. Sabatine is good for being awesome at pimping questions; UCSF is better at know what to do and what to order.

One of my attendings just suggested an app called Stat!Ref. I haven't used it yet but he raves about it.

Also forgot to add LactMed for lactation counseling

For clinicals:

Epocrates, MedCalc, CDC Abx guidelines, and DxSaurus are the "Big 4" I use on almost a daily basis.

Other good apps:

BluCard - essential for pediatrics or any specialty that works with kids
Eponyms - great database of medical eponyms
PolyglotMed - quick and easy to use medical spanish reference

solid post bro, thanks

Besides many of the apps previously mentioned, one of my favorite apps is "Journal Club". It is basically a cliff notes for all the major trials that attendings like to cite. It gives good descriptions of the trials and even common criticisms.

Can we make a list of good/reliable medical apps that are used by medical students on their smart devices?

New app recently available on iOS is Medal.org (Medical Algorithms) -- list of 20,000+ algorithms in 45 specialities.
Here is an example on algorithm for the eval of blunt head trauma. http://bit.ly/1EoSLEN
And it's free!

Also, check out epocrates, Read by QxMD (good app to keep track of journals you want to follow).
Specific apps (bili calc -- for use on peds and newborn rotation)

Besides many of the apps previously mentioned, one of my favorite apps is "Journal Club". It is basically a cliff notes for all the major trials that attendings like to cite. It gives good descriptions of the trials and even common criticisms.

Just got it. Looks great. This I'm sure will be handy when I start rotations in July.

Another one with the same concept that seems to be decent is Docphin.

UpToDate

Elsevier MyPGMEE is the best app for medical pg entrance exam preparation.

'Orthopedic OSCE' app available on app store, google play and windows app store.

The book is to develop orthopedic clinical skills and for OSCE exams. This app has chapters on communication skills, history gathering, clinical examination, Evaluation of imaging studies and Orthopedic procedures and implants.