MCAT Westwood MCAT Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep for now-defunct Course & Bad Singer
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick facts:
1) Westwood is Berkeley Review's biggest center (where their master teachers teach)
2) Berkeley Review is the only company with an MCAT-only study center in the Los Angeles area
3) Todd and Dale (the founders) both teach in Westwood

Center includes a waiting area where students may study, a spacious classroom that comfortably seats 28 students, has two additional study tables, a snack table, four whiteboards, and state of the art audio-visual equipment, and a laptop computer area for computer prep work. There is no other center in California designed 100% for premedical students preparing for the MCAT.

(Outstanding) Instructors/Tutors: Out team consists of eight experienced teachers delivering high-quality lectures that are painstakingly developed and redeveloped several times per year.

Our teaching philosophy is simple. Help students learn to do better on multiple-choice questions on the MCAT. This entails building a science vocabulary, understanding many concepts, thinking logically, becoming fast at integrating multiple concepts, avoiding careless errors, and mastering test-taking skills. Our teachers are selected for their ability to teach these skills. Many teachers are hired to teach just one to three of our lecture topics (we have forty-four total topic lectures as well as five skills lectures), to ensure that every class has excellent instruction at those specific subjects. Our teachers are experts at what they teach.

We have been fortunate enough to once again keep our Westwood teaching team intact including a Pepperdine professor and our founders are once again teaching. We have added two new tutors to the team for this year. Listed below are the members of our teaching and tutoring team.

Chemistry
Todd Bennett, FIVE-time OUTSTANDING TEACHING ASSISTANT Award Winner (at UCSD, UCB, and UCI), Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award (IVC), Primary Developer of Hyperlearning MCAT Course, co-Founder of Berkeley Review, 22 years of MCAT teaching experience, Author of Berkeley Review Chemistry Books, 6.89 Student Evaluation Rating (1-7 scale)
Teaches six of the ten general chemistry lectures and four of the seven organic chemistry lectures

Rey Henry, Amazing UCLA Tutor, Two Sessions of MCAT experience, Excellent Tutor in Office Hours, no Student Evaluation Rating at this time
Teaches three of the ten general chemistry lectures

Physics
Todd Bennett, Winner of Coveted Faculty Teaching Award (Hartnell College), co-Author of Berkeley Review Physics Book, 13 years of MCAT physics teaching experience, 6.89 Student Evaluation Rating

Biology
Andrew Eads, UCI Medical Student, Tutor/Instructor for six years at UCLA , Fifteen Sessions of MCAT experience, 6.50 Student Evaluation Rating

Roland Palvolgyi, UCLA Medical Student, Tutor/Instructor for three years at UCLA , Three Sessions of MCAT experience, 6.33 Student Evaluation Rating

Naomi Serling-Boyd, Amazing Biology Tutor at UCLA, Two Sessions of MCAT experience, no Student Evaluation Rating at this time

Dale Schmidt, co-Founder Berkeley Review, Author of Berkeley Review Biology Book, 19 years of MCAT teaching experience, 6.59 Student Evaluation Rating

Verbal Reasoning
Sean Batson, Top of the chart on MCAT Verbal exam, Verbal Reasoning Expert, 6.00 Student Evaluation Rating

*Student Evaluation Score based Student Evaluations of teaching on scale of 1 - 7 (7 being Excellent)

Seasonal Classes
Session 1 (aiming for January exams) starts first week of October until first week of January (four to five classes per week, meeting two weeknights and twice on Saturdays with occassional Sundays)

Sessions 2 and 3 (aiming for March/April exams) starts first week of January until third week of March (four to five classes per week, meeting two weeknights and twice on Saturdays with occassional extra weekday)

Sessions 4 and 5 (aiming for April/May exams) starts last week of January until third week of April (four to five classes per week, meeting two weeknights and twice on Sundays with occassional extra weekday)

Session 6 (aiming for July exams) starts first week of May until first week of July (five to six classes per week, meeting two weeknights and twice on Saturdays, and twice on Sundays)

Sessions 7 and 8 (aiming for August/September exams) starts third week of June until last week of August (four to five classes per week, meeting four weekdays and once on either Saturday or Sundays with occassional extra weekend day)

Lecture Topics
Biology 1 Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells, Cellular Function, Viruses, and Biological Molecules
Biology 2 Metabolism, Enzymes, Kinetics, Glycolysis, Kreb's Cycle, and Electron Transport-Oxidative Phosph
Biology 3 Beta Oxidation, Gluconeogenesis, Urea Cycle, and Calvin Cycle
Biology 4 Introduction to Nucleic Acids, DNA, RNA, Replication, Transcription, and Translation
Biology 5 Genetic Information, More Translation, Genetic Engineering, and Recombination
Biology 6 Cumulative Review of Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry

Gen Chem 1 Stoichiometry, Limiting Reagents, Concentration Units, Dilution, and Solubility
Gen Chem 2 Atomic Theory, Electronic Configurations, Periodic Trends, Excitation/Relaxation, and VSEPR Theory
Gen Chem 3 Equilibrium Constant, Equilibrium, Le Châtelier's Principle, Reaction Rate, and Reaction Order
Gen Chem 4 Weak Acids & Bases, Strong Acids & Bases, pH Scale, Neutralization, and Buffers
Gen Chem 5 pH Calculations, Polyprotic Acids, Titration Curves, Multiple Equivalent Points, and Indicators
Gen Chem 6 Gas Definitions, Kinetic Theory of Gases, Gas Laws, Partial Pressure, and Effusion
Gen Chem 7 Phases Changes, Heat Exchange, Phase Diagrams, Vapor Pressure, and Raoult's Law
Gen Chem 8 Enthalpy, Entropy, Free Energy, Calorimetry, Bond Energies, Reaction Rate, and Order
Gen Chem 9 Classical Experiments in Atomic Structure, Isotopes, Nuclear Chemistry, and Half-Lives
Gen Chem 10 Balancing Redox Reactions, Electromotive Force, Electrochemical Cells, and Nernst Equation
Gen Chem 11 Overview of Chemistry Topics, Review of Heavily Tested Topics, and Test Strategy

Org Chem 1 Organic Structure, Resonance, Hybridization, Aromaticity, and Steric Hindrance
Org Chem 2 IR Spectroscopy, UV-Visible Spectroscopy, NMR Spectroscopy, and Structure Elucidation
Org Chem 3 Stereochemistry, Enantiomers, Diastereomers, Meso, and Nucleophilic Substitution
Org Chem 4 Elimination, Diels Alder Reaction, Terpenes, and Free Radicals
Org Chem 5 Carbonyl Reactions, Protecting Groups, Acetals, Hemiacetals, and Redox Chemistry
Org Chem 6 Titration, Isoelectric pH, Electrophoresis, Sequencing, Affinity Chromatography, and Protein Structure
Org Chem 7 Chromatography, Distillation, Extraction, Recrystallization, and Basic Lab Ideology
Org Chem 8 Overview of Chemistry Topics, Review of Heavily Tested Topics, and Test Strategy

Physics 1 Translational Motion, Kinematics, Acceleration, Velocity, and Projectile Motion
Physics 2 Forces, Force Diagrams, Circular Motion, and Newton's Laws
Physics 3 Potential Energy, Kinetic Energy, Work, Heat, and Momentum
Physics 4 Transfer of Momentum, Transfer of Energy, Friction, and Gravity
Physics 5 Periodic Motion, Beats, Period, Frequency, Cyclic Processes, Springs, Pendulums, and Waves
Physics 6 Sound, Doppler Effect, Beat Frequency, Decibel Scale, and Longitudinal Waves
Physics 7 Fluid Dynamics, Bernoulli's Law, Archimedes' Principle, Hydraulics, and Solids
Physics 8 Electrostatics,Electric Fields, Magnetic Fields, and Motion of Charged Particles
Physics 9 Simple Circuits, Current, Resistance, Voltage, Circuit Rules, and Circuit Features
Physics 10 Light Spectrum, Electromagnetic Radiation, Refraction, Reflection, Mirrors, and Lenses

Physiology 1 Central Nervous System, Peripheral Nervous System, and Skeletal/Muscular System
Physiology 2 Cardiovascular Physiology, Hemoglobin, Myoglobin, and Circulatory System
Physiology 3 Gastrointestinal System, Renal Physiology, Nephron Dynamics, and Regulation of GI
Physiology 4 Reproductive Systems (M/F), Female Hormone Cycle, Gastrulation, and Development
Physiology 5 Immune System, B-Cells, T-Cells, Antigens, Antibodies, Defense Mechanisms, and Hormones
Physiology 6 Physiological Pathways, Integration of Pathways, Physiological Feedback Mechanisms

Verbal 1 Introduction to the Verbal Reasoning Test, Eclectic Topic Overview, and Establishing a Game Plan
Verbal 2 The Mapping Technique, Typical Questions ("The List"), and Letting Go of Science Reading Habits
Verbal 3 Introduction to Speed Reading, Effective Skimming, Test Timing, and Your Testing Strategy
Verbal 4 Critical Reading for Ideas and Concepts, Pre-reading Questions, and Recognizing the 'Best' Answer
Verbal 5 Recognizing Topics, Concentration Skills, and Time Allotment During Exam
Essay Comp Establishing an Outline, The Essay Formula, and Making it Look Good

Course Materials to be used with lectures (all passages include full explanations)
Biology Text 1 (Physiology) 75 passages
Biology Text 2 (Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics) 75 passages

General Chemistry Text 1 (Stoichiometry, Atomic Structure, Equilibrium, and Acids & Bases) 68 passages
General Chemistry Text 2 (Gases, Phases, Electrochemistry, Thermodynamics, and Kinetics) 63 passages

Organic Chemistry Text 1 (Organic Structure, Spectroscopy, Stereochemistry, and Hydrocarbons) 53 passages
Organic Chemistry Text 2 (Carbonyls, Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, and Laboratory Techniques) 54 passages

Physics Text 1 (Translational Motion, Forces, Work, Momentum, Torque, and Waves) 50 passages
Physics Text 2 (Sound, Fluids & Solids, Electrostatics, Circuits, Light, and Optics) 50 passages

Verbal Reasoning Text includes 105 passages with full answer explanations and test strategy tips
Essay Composition Text includes sample essays and a strategy formula for writing a strong essay

Test Materials (9 Full-Length CBT Exams)
Full-Length Tests TBR Practice Test I 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test II 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test III 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test IV 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test V 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test VI 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test VII 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test VIII 21 Passages with complete answer explanations
TBR Practice Test IX 21 Passages with complete answer explanations

Extra Materials for Continued Review
Verbal Reasoning 32 In-Class Passages and 21 Test Passages with complete answer explanations
Physical Sciences 14 Passages in Two Topical Tests with complete answer explanations
General Chemistry Problem Session Passage Sets 14 Passages with complete answer explanations
Cumulative Chemistry Tests 14 Passages with complete answer explanations
In-Class Passages 40 Passages with complete answer explanations
Organic Chemistry Problem Session Passage Sets 12 Passages with complete answer explanations
In-Class Passages 28 Passages with complete answer explanations
Biology Integrative Review I 11 Passages with complete answer explanations
Integrative Review II 11 Passages with complete answer explanations
Physics Problem Session Passage Sets 14 Passages with complete answer explanations
In-Class Passages 50 Passages with complete answer explanations
Miscellaneous MCAT Grab Bag I, II, & III 20± Passages with complete answer explanations

Supplemental Materials (for application assistance)
Application Guideline A detailed timeline for and statistical look at applying to medical school
Interview Tips Collected comments from people who have given and received interviews

Key Facts
Student-to-Teacher Ratio of 4 : 1 to 8 : 1, depending on the season.
Class Size: 20.3 students on average, 26 Students maximum in Westwood
MCAT only, so we know MCAT strategies and techniques better than anyone

"Turn 26s into 32s, 30s into 35s, and 36s into 40s"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reading this makes me really sad. I took your course five years ago and it was absolutely excellent, the best choice I ever made. Due to various reasons I didn't follow through on my application and have been floundering the last few years. I'm back doing MCAT prep hardcore and reading about your class makes me realize how much I could really use it. Todd, Dale, and Cecile are nothing short of the greatest teachers ever. As I'm reviewing nowadays, I can still remember things from their class five years ago.

I just want to drop a short post to say how much I appreciated your class and the effort you put into making it great. Reading everything you have now and knowing firsthand how fantastic the teachers are, you really have it going on. If I could afford to take it, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Keep doing what you do so well.

Teachers change from session to session. The staff listed above has lost two members for the Summer 2010 class, but they will be returning in the Fall.

Our class changes each session, so you should look for updates before you enroll. Probably the biggest thing you'll notice is that we use a projected image for questions, forcing students to work on screen when they do problems in class. We try to go over ten to twnety questions per lecture, with a big focus on problem solving.

We have recently added some lectures on the nuances of the exam and test strategy, where in the past we tacked them on to regular lectures.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am looking to take the Berkeley Review in the LA area to prep for January mcat. however, their schedule is not posted for the Fall. Do The Berkeley Review offer classes in the Fall? thanks

Hello,

I am looking to take the Berkeley Review in the LA area to prep for January mcat. however, their schedule is not posted for the Fall. Do The Berkeley Review offer classes in the Fall? thanks

Yeah they do. I believe they offer just one session in the Fall for the January MCATs. It starts the second or third weekend of October and includes two weeknights per week and a four-hour Saturday. This goes for about twelve weeks, with time off for finals week.

Is it possible to start off by taking the course in Westwood (May session) and then when the Irvine class starts switch over into that one? I think it would be great if we are given that option!

Status
Not open for further replies.