Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you both so much! I hope it means more movement on the waitlist this year.

According to the interview guidebook received on interview day, Western is not offering deferred acceptances for this application cycle.

to add onto what victorianvamp said, I'll further confirm that the admissions director explicitly confirmed on interview day that no deferred acceptances will be given out this year.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who got accepted on 3/30, have you received the mailed acceptance information and when is the deposit due? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got accepted on 3/30, have you received the mailed acceptance information and when is the deposit due? Thanks!

The first deposit for me was due 15 days from the printed date of the letter and the second was due 30 days after the deadline of the first I believe. I paid the deposit before getting the letter because I got paranoid I was going to miss the deadline waiting for the physical mail. You can pay it on your portal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

interviewed 3/30. Letter dated 5/3 (when portal changed). Deposit due 5/12. All documents (health, final xscript, etc) due 6/1.

For people who interviewed 4/12 and had the portal change the same day, i would assume that the deposit deadline would be the same. Don't quote me on that, but i would put money on it.

I see some people on here have gotten waitlist emails. Did everyone saying that they are waitlisted get an email? Are there some people who haven't heard anything? I am not sure if I should assume waitlist because I haven't heard anything or if they are silently rejecting me.

I am starting to get really discouraged by this school very little communication and haven't heard great things from the current students :(

For those who have been recently accepted and need to send in all the materials by June 1st I would get on it asap. You have to make an appointment to get your physical and titers done and a follow up appointment to review the titers so make your appointments !!

For those who have been recently accepted and need to send in all the materials by June 1st I would get on it asap. You have to make an appointment to get your physical and titers done and a follow up appointment to review the titers so make your appointments !!

Where can accepted students find a list of all that needs to be completed by June 1?

Thanks

Anyone know where we can we find our WesternU Student ID# for the medical clearance packet?

Hello everyone! I'm planning on applying this cycle and Western- Pomona is one of my top choices. However, I noticed that they require a letter of rec from a doctor ("MD or DO, but DO preferred"). I already have 6 Letters of Rec but my letter from a doctor that I'm shadowing fell through... Am I not going to qualify if I don't have a letter from a doctor? Thank you!

Hello everyone! I'm planning on applying this cycle and Western- Pomona is one of my top choices. However, I noticed that they require a letter of rec from a doctor ("MD or DO, but DO preferred"). I already have 6 Letters of Rec but my letter from a doctor that I'm shadowing fell through... Am I not going to qualify if I don't have a letter from a doctor? Thank you!

Hi Gutsy!
Yea, they need a Doctor LOR. They have a program that lets you shadow DO docs. You can email them to ask! If that doesn't work, maybe see if you can find someone else to shadow and get a LOR from. You still have a good chunk of time to get it taken care of!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Gutsy!
Yea, they need a Doctor LOR. They have a program that lets you shadow DO docs. You can email them to ask! If that doesn't work, maybe see if you can find someone else to shadow and get a LOR from. You still have a good chunk of time to get it taken care of!

Hello @do_medschool ! Thank you for letting me know! I currently live in NY but am a CA resident. This wouldn't work right? I appreciate you assuring me there is still time. I've been feeling quite overwhelmed lately as I just recently got into considering DO. Thank you!

Hello @do_medschool ! Thank you for letting me know! I currently live in NY but am a CA resident. This wouldn't work right? I appreciate you assuring me there is still time. I've been feeling quite overwhelmed lately as I just recently got into considering DO. Thank you!

There are probably several DO schools within a reasonable distance of you that would allow you to shadow 3rd year OMM rotations, which is probably the ultimate form of "why DO" justification in the eyes of WesternU. I'd look for any staff of the OMM/NMM departments listed on the school websites and/or go to the school/training site directly and ask.

Oh! Gotcha! If you live in NY, definitely check with Touro or NYMC since they're both under the same institution. You might want to reach out to some of Touro's rotation sites too! They might have it on their website.

Yea, don't stress. The regular DO cycle picks up around December or so. So don't fret!

Also, I used a MD letter and it worked out just fine!

Does anyone know where on the portal you can check which admissions items are still outstanding? Is that even possible? All I see is that I have set of holds on my account without mention of which ones have been received and which ones haven't.

I have been sending things over the mail and have been confirming with admissions via phone, but of course, it would be easier if there was simply a way to check online.

Oh! Gotcha! If you live in NY, definitely check with Touro or NYMC since they're both under the same institution. You might want to reach out to some of Touro's rotation sites too! They might have it on their website.

Yea, don't stress. The regular DO cycle picks up around December or so. So don't fret!

Also, I used a MD letter and it worked out just fine!

Good to know! Thank you! How many hours of shadowing should I do for a DO? I am already shadowing an MD right now.

Good to know! Thank you! How many hours of shadowing should I do for a DO? I am already shadowing an MD right now.

That's a pretty subjective answer. I didn't directly shadow a DO. I just worked with a couple as a scribe, so I'm not sure what the best answer would be. Gourds timeframe sounds like a good amount!
I'd personally say get enough hours to the point where you can talk about your experience with osteopathy/DO.
There's also books on osteopathy and DOs! It's literally called, "The DOs" and that might help you gain a better understanding. That way, in case you can't get a DO letter or shadowing, you can follow kids around Touro if it's close by you and then supplement your discussion with the book.
The bottom line is that any osteopathic school will ask you, "Why Do?" And you should be able to answer that. So get enough hours until you feel comfortable answering that question and then I'd say you're all set!

Hello everyone, I am currently a first year DO student at WesternU. For those who have been accepted, I would like to congratulate you on your acceptances! I look forward to meeting you all. I live in Chino Hills (about 8 min drive from the school), and I am looking to sublet my room from early June to the first week of August. It's a house with 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms in a quiet neighborhood.

If you are planning on doing ISAC or SPaRC program this summer, this could potentially save you a lot of money. The room and the rest of the house are furnished, and you'll have full access to the kitchen, pool and spa. I also wouldn't mind sharing my notes from Anatomy along with a physical copy of Anatomy atlas and Netter's flashcards. The rent will be $650/mo including utilities.

If you are interested, send me a PM and we can arrange a time to talk on phone or video chat to show you what the place looks like
Once again, congrats on your acceptances! For those who are waitlisted, hang in there. There were plenty of people who got accepted from the waitlist in our class

Hey everyone,
For those accepted, is your student portal indicating that you have an Academic Requirements Hold? I emailed admissions and was told that I did not have a hold, but my portal says otherwise...

Hi awesome accepted folks. They require us to submit "Official transcripts for coursework/degree not submitted to AACOMAS". So do I only submit any transcripts with grades for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 (which were not included in the transcripts submitted to AACOMAS because I completed my primary app in May 2016). Or do I have to submit all my transcripts again to COMP? I have 6 different transcripts for God's sake!

Hey everyone,
For those accepted, is your student portal indicating that you have an Academic Requirements Hold? I emailed admissions and was told that I did not have a hold, but my portal says otherwise...

Yeah I have that too even though I sent my transcripts a while ago..my recommendation is call one of the admissions advisors to get a more concrete answer.

Is there a dress code for COMP? Can't find anything in the info I've received so far. Will we receive info about this and other items such as textbooks/other things we must buy prior to orientation?

Hi awesome accepted folks. They require us to submit "Official transcripts for coursework/degree not submitted to AACOMAS". So do I only submit any transcripts with grades for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 (which were not included in the transcripts submitted to AACOMAS because I completed my primary app in May 2016). Or do I have to submit all my transcripts again to COMP? I have 6 different transcripts for God's sake!

Dang... didn't consider that
Let us know what you find out...
The phrasing you quoted sounds like it's just what wasn't submitted..

Yeah I have that too even though I sent my transcripts a while ago..my recommendation is call one of the admissions advisors to get a more concrete answer.

Ok, I did just that. I was told that all accepted students have this hold at this time.

Is there a dress code for COMP? Can't find anything in the info I've received so far. Will we receive info about this and other items such as textbooks/other things we must buy prior to orientation?
There is no dress code for classes except ECM (white coat/scrubs or professional attire depending on the week, OPP (gym clothes) and IPE (white coat/professional attire --> but I started going in casual clothes after the first couple of sessions). I would dress in business casual for orientation week as you will be making a first impression on the staff, faculty and fellow students. The required medical equipment should be listed in your new student materials, and you will get all of the equipment at the bookstore unless you purchase it ahead of time (which isn't a bad idea for some items such as the reflex hammer --> most students buy a new one from Amazon bc the janky one from the bookstore is just sad haha). As for books, I did not buy any books as PDF versions were all available on the class Dropbox/One Drive. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

So do we not get any confirmation that our items were received?

I do not think so. I sent my transcripts a while back and did not receive a notification, yet I was told all my documents had been received when I contacted admissions.

Just logged into my portal and it showed that my account was under a different name and ID number. I wouldn't trust what's on the portal and instead rely on calling for information on status of documents.

Hey does anyone suggestions/information in finding research opportunities at Western or other healthcare institutions in the area (hospitals, clinics, etc)?

Dang... didn't consider that
Let us know what you find out...
The phrasing you quoted sounds like it's just what wasn't submitted..

I tried calling admissions but nobody picked up. I'm going the safe route and order all my transcripts again. Oh my wallet...

I tried calling admissions but nobody picked up. I'm going the safe route and order all my transcripts again. Oh my wallet...

They are closed till Monday for graduations. Honestly, id just wait. That seems like overkill.

How tf do you do their background check..? They said go to precheck.com and it was self explanatory, but i'm finding otherwise

Has there been any alternate list movement this month?

Also, just an update on the academic requirements hold to anyone that is interested, mine was removed a couple days ago.

Reactions: 1 users
For those on the alternate list, is there a "high alternate" status for COMP? I noticed on the COMP-NW thread that some people had the high alternate status.

Also, does most of the waitlist movement happen before the end of May or it spread out evenly from May to July?

For those on the alternate list, is there a "high alternate" status for COMP? I noticed on the COMP-NW thread that some people had the high alternate status.

Also, does most of the waitlist movement happen before the end of May or it spread out evenly from May to July?

I'm an alternate. At my interview day it was specifically mentioned that they do not rank the alternate list but I do recall the admissions director mentioning different tiers; there is a high mid and low alternate status. Although they are grouped, you as an alternate cannot call and find out what your status is and she said that all candidates are considered when positions become available regardless of grouping/positon so supposedly someone in the "low" category is considered the same as soemone in the "high" category. I also saw mentions of "high-alternate" on COMP-NW threads so I guess they handle that differently. I have no clue about waitlist movement, I wish I did. Previous years threads showed some movement in May, so maybe we'll hear something soon? I haven't heard anything at all (I got an email about attending a preview day a couple of weeks back and almost jumped out of my skin lol). I'm not sure if there hasn't been any movement or if it just isn't been reported on here; I'm hoping there hasn't been any recent movement. I've called asking about everything from timelines to ranking and have just been told to keep checking my email and that's about all that they can tell me.

I'm an alternate. At my interview day it was specifically mentioned that they do not rank the alternate list but I do recall the admissions director mentioning different tiers; there is a high mid and low alternate status. Although they are grouped, you as an alternate cannot call and find out what your status is and she said that all candidates are considered when positions become available regardless of grouping/positon so supposedly someone in the "low" category is considered the same as soemone in the "high" category. I also saw mentions of "high-alternate" on COMP-NW threads so I guess they handle that differently. I have no clue about waitlist movement, I wish I did. Previous years threads showed some movement in May, so maybe we'll hear something soon? I haven't heard anything at all (I got an email about attending a preview day a couple of weeks back and almost jumped out of my skin lol). I'm not sure if there hasn't been any movement or if it just isn't been reported on here; I'm hoping there hasn't been any recent movement. I've called asking about everything from timelines to ranking and have just been told to keep checking my email and that's about all that they can tell me.

Thank you so much for providing the information. I called a couple times but I wasn't given much direction other than check your email as well. I guess we have to wait patiently but I do hope there will more movement soon!

Oh goodness I was super excited when I got the email from the school too!!! After realizing it was for preview day instead of a decision, I was like oh mannn lol

Last edited:
I was just accepted off of the waiting list today, and I never received any email saying anything about being a "high alternate." I just received a phone call.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just accepted off of the waiting list today, and I never received any email saying anything about being a "high alternate." I just received a phone call.
Congrats!

Ya, I will be attending. So I have a lot of stuff to figure out pretty quick. I only have a week to pay my deposit.

Just a tip for other people on the waiting list......I got accepted just a few days after I sent in a letter of intent. I don't know if my letter of intent was the reason I got in, but hey, it's worth sending one in if you haven't done so already.

Reactions: 2 users
Letters of intent do work for this school, especially when you have an acceptance elsewhere, but you have a plausible reason why you would prefer WesternU.

Ya, I will be attending. So I have a lot of stuff to figure out pretty quick. I only have a week to pay my deposit.

Just a tip for other people on the waiting list......I got accepted just a few days after I sent in a letter of intent. I don't know if my letter of intent was the reason I got in, but hey, it's worth sending one in if you haven't done so already.

Congratulations!!!!
Did you send the letter of intent to your admissions counselor or Susan Hanson?