Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know why there are so many spots remaining this late in the cycle? I'm super excited to interview, but that number has me somewhat concerned....

If I had to guess, I'd say that Western has a very picky adcom and likely interviewed students with very high stats who were also competitive enough for MD schools. Those students who interviewed earlier probably got into an MD school later on and therefore seats began opening up this late into the cycle. I believe this because western sent me a letter very early on to update them on any changes to my application and that I was on a pre-interview hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had my interview at Western U today. Overall very pleased with the school as expected and confirmed that there are about 45 open seats left and that my interview date was scheduled to be the last. Will update with my final decision after 2-3 weeks depending on their decision.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to guess, I'd say that Western has a very picky adcom and likely interviewed students with very high stats who were also competitive enough for MD schools. Those students who interviewed earlier probably got into an MD school later on and therefore seats began opening up this late into the cycle. I believe this because western sent me a letter very early on to update them on any changes to my application and that I was on a pre-interview hold.

I was there today as well and was impressed by the school/faculty. I also thought the same thing after seeing the numbers. Well good luck to us!

Anyone can let me know the email to send admitted student documents to (ie. immunization records, physical exam etc.) ?

Is the class full? Any chance of still getting an interview invite here?

Is the class full? Any chance of still getting an interview invite here?
Admissions director explicitly said yesterday that there will NOT be anymore interview days. She feels that they have enough people on the alternate list to fill the class.

Maybe I heard incorrectly. But, I remember the admin director saying something like "...MOST LIKELY there will not be another interview date". That, to me, sounded like there is still a micro-chance. If I was still waiting for an interview from Western, that would be enough for me to hang in there for a few more weeks. So, best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for an ii :)

I'd also simply call their admissions office and politely ask if there are any chances that there will be another interview date. It wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Maybe I heard incorrectly. But, I remember admin director saying something like "...MOST LIKELY there will not be another interview date". That, to me, sounded like there is still a micro-chance. If I was still waiting for an interview from Western, that would be enough for me to hang in there for a few more weeks. So, best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for an ii :)

I'd also simply call their admissions office and politely ask if there are any chances that there will be another interview date. It wouldn't hurt.

Well it seemed like they said the same thing during the 3/30 interviews as well. I also thought it didn't sound like an absolute. So good luck to y'all!

How long does it take for an electronic upload from interfolio to be updated or for it to reflect on the application website?

Interfolio had an electronic delivery confirmation on April 3rd, but it still doesn't show anything in my app... And admissions said I couldn't ask them about this until 15 business days.

I sent my updates LOR via interfolio directly to western and called to see if they received and they confirmed. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 3/30. Just got the email saying I'm on the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed 3/30. Just got the email saying I'm on the waitlist.

oh gosh i guess i'm going to be watching my phone like a hawk for the next week. Thanks for the reply and I hope there's movement on that waitlist if you're gunning for COMP!

Has anyone else heard from the 3/30 interview? Still waiting to hear! So far it's radio silence. Good luck to all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else heard from the 3/30 interview? Still waiting to hear! So far it's radio silence. Good luck to all!!

Interviewed 3/30 as well. Are they going go to contact us by phone or postal mail? I forgot what they said at the interview I just remembered they said they'll back to us in 2-3 weeks which was yesterday lol

Interviewed 3/30 as well. Are they going go to contact us by phone or postal mail? I forgot what they said at the interview I just remembered they said they'll back to us in 2-3 weeks which was yesterday lol

I interviewed on 4/12 but remember them saying the dean likes to send out decisions in the mail so to wait for that.

its going to be post mail or you can check your portal

Anyone hear anything positive from 3/30 interview date? No update on the portal..

Can any accepted students post their GPA and MCAT score? I want to compare information with the class of 2020 stats.

Is there anyone who has recently interviewed at WesternU that is still waiting for a response from them to make a FINAL decision (between WestnernU and one or more institution(s))? If so, would you care to share who those other schools are and their PRO's and CON's compared to WesternU? In other words, what makes it worth waiting for WesternU's decision (examples: close distance from family, stunning snack vending machines, clinical rotations, match list, etc.), instead of just going with the other school(s) that you have already been accepted at (feel free to PM me, if that is better for you)?

*Hope that all makes sense. But, let me know if you need more clarification.

Last edited:
:shrug:I am so confused. I wonder if they forgot about us 3/30? LOL. I know they added an interview for 4/12 maybe they are going to send out all the decisions at once?!?

I called the Office of Admissions and apparently decisions have been made, but they have to be approved by the Dean, who's out this week.

I interviewed 3/30 and a friend who interviewed that day as well found out they got onto the waitlist today. So I'm assuming the rest of us who are waiting to hear either we are going to be accepted or rejected.

Probably not considering the 3/30 group hasn't even heard but has anyone from 4/12 started to hear anything about being waitlisted?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know what the rotation sites are like?

"We will get back to you in 2-3 weeks"
"And by 2-3 weeks we mean actually not 2-3 weeks but longer"
Hopefully a response is coming soon, kind of have to plan my next 4 years but no big deal LOL

"We will get back to you in 2-3 weeks"
"And by 2-3 weeks we mean actually not 2-3 weeks but longer"
Hopefully a response is coming soon, kind of have to plan my next 4 years but no big deal LOL
Did that response come from admissions? The wait is killing me!

Did that response come from admissions? The wait is killing me!
The 1st quote is what they said at interviews and is in the booklet that was given at the interview. The 2nd quote is me trying to diffuse my neuroticism with humor hahaha yes the waiting is killing me too

I'm from the 4/12 group and I'm already becoming impatient..can't imagine how the 3/30 group is feeling

I was informed of the admissions decision on portal before the physical mail so keep checking your portals!

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what's the delay. I know nycdreamer said it's because the dean is out this week but I need to hear it for myself to keep my sanity Lolol

I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what's the delay. I know nycdreamer said it's because the dean is out this week but I need to hear it for myself to keep my sanity Lolol

(Thumbs up!)

Just talked to someone in admissions and they said that the committee meets on Thursdays and sends their decisions the next day or the following Monday. So if this is true, then best case scenario is we here later today or on Monday! I'm thinking the delay was due to the admissions committee not being able to meet up. Hopefully they met up yesterday and we'll hear today or Monday! If not then we got another week of waiting lol

Just talked to someone in admissions and they said that the committee meets on Thursdays and sends their decisions the next day or the following Monday. So if this is true, then best case scenario is we here later today or on Monday! I'm thinking the delay was due to the admissions committee not being able to meet up. Hopefully they met up yesterday and we'll hear today or Monday! If not then we got another week of waiting lol
So basically we still don't know :'D

Does anyone know if rejections and wait list status are also updated on the portal before receipt of a letter? I'm checking it like a maniac and I'd rather see it blank than 'rejection'...

If you are not accepted then the decision tab will remain blank on the portal

Oh god why would you do this to me. *refresh *refresh *refresh

just wanted to add that i also contacted them recently and they said they do it in half batches. So we're looking at finding out this or next week for 3/30 if no hiccups.

4/12-er here but couldn't take it any longer so I also called. For any of us out there wondering about our admissions decisions, I was told that they have met on our applications but that decisions still need to be finalized. They gave me a timeline of late next week-early the following week for news. So now I know for sure that it's futile to refresh my portal every thirty seconds today... but I'll probably keep doing it anyway lol. Just FYI in case you all are as anxious as I am. Happy waiting everyone:wideyed:

Last edited: