Western University of Health Sciences or University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences(San Marcos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pts2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got accepted to both of these DPT programs but I am still trying to decide which program is the right fit for me. Great faculty at both schools. Any opinions or advice on which university would be best? Thank you! Here are my pros/cons at the moment.

USA
Pros:
- Live at home and attend school (save $)
- Finish a trimester early since its accelerated (idk if that is good or bad?)
- Nice small modern campus with new equipment.
Cons:
- Half of the new curriculum is online
- Okay reputation? School pumps out PTs like a factory
- Very manual/ortho based school?

WesternU
Pros:
- Worked with great PTs from this school
- Great reputation from what I have heard from my coworkers
- Larger campus, seems like a great community of diverse health professionals
- More well rounded DPT curriculum
Cons:
- Tuition is slightly more than USA (about 8k)
- Paying rent for 3 years as well
- Freaking hot in the summer and the surrounding area isn't as nice as san diego.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very interested in hearing people's responses to this!!!!

Can someone answer this man's question. I am very curious on the perception of University of St. Augustine. Will going to this school hinder my future employment?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not attending either school but I know quite a few PTs who have graduated from both and I've never heard a bad thing about Western!

I am not attending either school but I know quite a few PTs who have graduated from both and I've never heard a bad thing about Western!
how about for university of st. augustine?

As I've seen many say in other threads, employers generally don't care where you graduated from as long as you pass your boards.

If I was in your situation I would choose the school that would save me the most money. If I have the opportunity to live at home and save rent money I would take it.

I have a friend who got her DPT at St. Augustine ~2014? And is doing REALLY well!
can you expand on doing well? where does she currently work at? Do you know what her starting salary straight out of school is?

I've heard many bad things about st. augustine...

It really turns me off they have an online flex program and that they are one of the few FOR-PROFIT private schools.

If you do a search, you'll see some good and bad things said about both.

I've heard many bad things about st. augustine...

It really turns me off they have an online flex program and that they are one of the few FOR-PROFIT private schools.

If you do a search, you'll see some good and bad things said about both.

yeah the flex program sounded dumb to me. But a PT is a pt at the end of the day. Just if it affects job employment or anything.

yeah the flex program sounded dumb to me. But a PT is a pt at the end of the day. Just if it affects job employment or anything.
What exactly is dumb about the Flex program? As long as all the necessary hands-on application is still taught and practiced, what's the difference in learning the rest of the material in the comfort of your home versus a classroom? It gives people who work or have families the flexibility to pursue PT without dropping everything in their lives for it. I plan on applying for the program and appreciate the fact that I can still work while in school and cut down on loans faster.

What exactly is dumb about the Flex program? As long as all the necessary hands-on application is still taught and practiced, what's the difference in learning the rest of the material in the comfort of your home versus a classroom? It gives people who work or have families the flexibility to pursue PT without dropping everything in their lives for it. I plan on applying for the program and appreciate the fact that I can still work while in school and cut down on loans faster.

flex program gives the impression that becoming a PT is easy and a joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
flex program gives the impression that becoming a PT is easy and a joke.

How does four years of the same exact course material and clinicals give the impression that PT is a joke? Isn't the end goal to pass the boards anyway? Plus, it's not like "Flex" shows up on your diploma or anything.

Last edited:
How does four years of the same exact course material and clinicals give the impression that PT is a joke? Isn't the end goal the boards anyway?

"The Flex program combines online learning with face-to-face hands-on instruction during a few weekends per month"

I mean I am sure it is fine, but it gives off a certain impression if I was an employer. Imagine if your PA or physician attended a program that was offering a flex program with online learning with face to face, meeting few weekends per month. I would be weirded out and red flags would start raising. I am just saying it gives a certain impression.

"The Flex program combines online learning with face-to-face hands-on instruction during a few weekends per month"

I mean I am sure it is fine, but it gives off a certain impression if I was an employer. Imagine if your PA or physician attended a program that was offering a flex program with online learning with face to face, meeting few weekends per month. I would be weirded out and red flags would start raising. I am just saying it gives a certain impression.

I disagree. If somehow they conducted labs and clinicals remotely, then I'd absolutely be weirded out. But that's not the case. And again, it's not like it would be obvious to any employer that someone did Flex vs. traditional. I don't even think there'd be a reason to ask.

I've had the experience of working with someone who was in the Flex program. He was supposedly in his second year at the time and I knew more than him in most subjects related to physical therapy. At the time I had just graduated with my undergrad and was working as a physical therapy aide, but he lacked most knowledge about basic anatomy. Obviously this is just one student out of many in their flex program, but it was definitely an eye opening experience for me.

Anyone crapping on the Flex program may not realize that most schools deliver a decent chunk of their course material online anyway. Our education model is changing to adapt to our evolving society. It is what you make of it, and there are many measures in place along the way to do quality control on people entering the profession.

Last edited:
Hello!

I recently got accepted to both of these DPT programs but I am still trying to decide which program is the right fit for me. Great faculty at both schools. Any opinions or advice on which university would be best? Thank you! Here are my pros/cons at the moment.

USA
Pros:
Cons:

WesternU
Pros:
Cons:
- Freaking hot in the summer and the surrounding area isn't as nice as san diego.
lol good thing you did not apply to austin - you would die lol

I've had the experience of working with someone who was in the Flex program. He was supposedly in his second year at the time and I knew more than him in most subjects related to physical therapy. At the time I had just graduated with my undergrad and was working as a physical therapy aide, but he lacked most knowledge about basic anatomy. Obviously this is just one student out of many in their flex program, but it was definitely an eye opening experience for me.

When I was studying for my NPTE a few years back at a local coffee shop, I was approached by a USA flex student that saw me with my study material. She was also preparing for the NPTE. She admitted that the USA flex program was going through some changes at the time because of lower than expected NPTE pass rates. When we were discussing some foundational material (anatomy, biomechanics, pathology, etc.), I also noticed a lack of understanding of some early concepts. I don't doubt that they become well rounded clinicians with a few years of experience, but I'd raise an eyebrow at new grads.

IMO, flex programs rely more so on clinical instructors acting as adjuncts to help fill areas of student subject weakness. This can be hit and miss depending on the CI and the student's learning style.

With that said, I'd still choose the more affordable option, knowing my own learning style. PT's do not make big money but can still live comfortably if the right decisions were made early. Average CA PT starting salaries: Private OP: $75-80k, Hospital OP/IP $85k, SNF $90k+. You cap out at $130k at county facilities (Santa Clara, or $120k in LA). Any higher and you're in an administrative management role. You can start in HH and Travel, which you're ultimately responsible for your annual earnings. I don't recommend HH to new grads but CA is so knee deep in need that recruiters started focusing their efforts on new grads with bonuses and loan forgiveness.

Last edited:
I have visited Western University and their cadaver lab is amazing. Does USA utilize cadavers for their anatomy program?

Hello!

USA
Pros:
Cons:

WesternU
Pros:
Cons:

Hello! I have interviews for both schools this month. Which one did you end up choosing and why? How are you doing with the program so far?