West coast university info???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPThopeful176

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for WCU,and I'm hoping someone can share some things about the program.

I know that they are still awaiting accreditation, so I am taking a risk if I do decide to attend, but I'd still like to learn about this program.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview with them on 2/13. I would like more information about the school too!

I just had my interview at West Coast today and it was a lot more laid back than other interviews I've had. You get separated into two groups for interviews and a tour..the interview itself was not as stressful as I was imagining! It was me and one other person interviewed by two people which really seemed more like just a conversation rather than them drilling us with questions. They still are not accredited, they said they might be by the end of this year hopefully but it is still not 100% certain. I liked the school, the main disappointment I had was that for their anatomy lab class they do not have cadavers, other than that it was a nice new/clean building.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just had my interview at West Coast today and it was a lot more laid back than other interviews I've had. You get separated into two groups for interviews and a tour..the interview itself was not as stressful as I was imagining! It was me and one other person interviewed by two people which really seemed more like just a conversation rather than them drilling us with questions. They still are not accredited, they said they might be by the end of this year hopefully but it is still not 100% certain. I liked the school, the main disappointment I had was that for their anatomy lab class they do not have cadavers, other than that it was a nice new/clean building.
Just a question but how can you learn to be an expert of bodies without actually working with cadavers? That sounds like a large turnoff especially for what you will be paying for the program. Do you have other options?

I was there too! I really enjoyed the facility and it was better than I thought! Not sure about the interview though....
I'm not sure which interview group you were in but in mine they described their experience with anatomy class and lack of cadavers. Looking back on it now, it doesn't seem like a "no school" choice for me anymore. They actually will teach the groups and muscle innervations and bony landmarks per usual (on models and interactive slides) but more on the human body (palpations) ... which to me is more important to learn on a live human than a cadaver. Granted I did use cadavers in undergrad, but I do not think it will negatively influence me if I decide to go there. But to each their own

Just a question but how can you learn to be an expert of bodies without actually working with cadavers? That sounds like a large turnoff especially for what you will be paying for the program. Do you have other options?

Yeah that was the main con about the program...it's still pretty new I think they said they started in 2014? so it seemed like they're still developing right now..& I don't have too many options now unfortunately, still waiting to hear from some schools

Last edited:
I was there too! I really enjoyed the facility and it was better than I thought! Not sure about the interview though....
I'm not sure which interview group you were in but in mine they described their experience with anatomy class and lack of cadavers. Looking back on it now, it doesn't seem like a "no school" choice for me anymore. They actually will teach the groups and muscle innervations and bony landmarks per usual (on models and interactive slides) but more on the human body (palpations) ... which to me is more important to learn on a live human than a cadaver. Granted I did use cadavers in undergrad, but I do not think it will negatively influence me if I decide to go there. But to each their own

Same here I was surprised by how much I really liked the school! Were you at the morning or the afternoon interview session?

The morning session!

I was in the afternoon session...& I agree I think the program still had a lot of good things about it even if they don't have cadavers. Good luck to you, hopefully we will hear from them soon! :)

I have my interview at WCU on Friday and was hoping that someone who already had their interview can give me some advice on what type of questions to expect.
This is my first interview and I am nervous and not sure what to expect.

I have my interview at WCU on Friday and was hoping that someone who already had their interview can give me some advice on what type of questions to expect.
This is my first interview and I am nervous and not sure what to expect.

The questions were very simple
Why PT?
Tell me about yourself.
Your strength
Your weakness.

You have a professor and student interview you

Reactions: 1 users
I got an email today that I am on the waitlist...making this school number EIGHT that I am waitlisted on :( trying to stay hopeful but I'm feeling more discouraged lately :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/27. Very relaxed, the faculty and students were very personable. You interview in a pair with another prospective student. You are interviewed by a faculty member and a 2nd yr PT student. I felt my interview went well, but my stats aren't the most competitive. I received a decision of waitlist today (making this my fourth waitlist decision). I received an acceptance elsewhere which I plan to take however.
The WCU facilities look great. The interview questions were pretty straight forward from what I remember:
What makes you feel ready for a PT career?
Tell us about a positive and negative experience in the PT context.
Strengths? Weaknesses?

I got an email today that I am on the waitlist...making this school number EIGHT that I am waitlisted on :( trying to stay hopeful but I'm feeling more discouraged lately :/
I know it's tough, but try your best to stay positive. This is my second cycle applying. I received five waitlisted decisions this cycle, and was finally accepted yesterday (not WCU). The place I was accepted to also picked me off their waitlist. I'll likely be taking my name off WCU waitlist soon so hope that somehow helps your case.

I have yet to hear back from them :/ should I contact the school or just wait anxiously?

I have yet to hear back from them :/ should I contact the school or just wait anxiously?

I got an email last week that I am moving on to the next phase of the application, the interview. Maybe you should give them a call. It should help your anxiety.

I got an email last week that I am moving on to the next phase of the application, the interview. Maybe you should give them a call. It should help your anxiety.

Thanks for replying! Yeah I think I might give them a call tomorrow! I applied late September/early October and just received the 1st notice of phase 1 then. But knowing that others are getting interviews now is making me worry :(

Thanks for replying! Yeah I think I might give them a call tomorrow! I applied late September/early October and just received the 1st notice of phase 1 then. But knowing that others are getting interviews now is making me worry :(
I haven't received an "official" interview invite, but I did get an email last month stating I'm qualified to move onto the next phase. I don't know if it's guaranteed, but we should be finding out near February 15th, as stated on the email.

I haven't received an "official" interview invite, but I did get an email last month stating I'm qualified to move onto the next phase. I don't know if it's guaranteed, but we should be finding out near February 15th, as stated on the email.
Next phase as in phase 2?

Just received an interview invite for 1/26! Super short notice but luckily I live in socal! Lol :D

do u guys know if they have an essay for part of their interview?

do u guys know if they have an essay for part of their interview?

No essay! Just yourself and let your personality shine! :)

After the interview I can honestly say that west coast is my first choice :)
For anyone that has already interviewed a few months back, how long did it take for you to receive an admissions decision?

For anyone that has already interviewed a few months back, how long did it take for you to receive an admissions decision?
May I ask what about the school/tour makes you say that WCU is your first-choice? Just wondering!

May I ask what about the school/tour makes you say that WCU is your first-choice? Just wondering!
They were super personable and genuine and made me feel so welcomed. The professors all come from different programs with many years of experience and they follow the interdisciplinary education. Not to mention that they’re located in LA where there’s so much opportunity there to network and work with a huge community. They also mentioned lots of options to volunteer at underserved communities and working on giving students international opportunities as well. It shows that the program is really all about the student :)

Received an acceptance e-mail from Mary this morning!

Reactions: 2 users

good luck:)

Has anyone else heard back? I also had my interview Friday Jan 26 but I have been checking my email like a mad woman and still nothing :( I’m on 3 waitlists so I’m really hoping this place is my ticket in!!

Has anyone else heard back? I also had my interview Friday Jan 26 but I have been checking my email like a mad woman and still nothing :( I’m on 3 waitlists so I’m really hoping this place is my ticket in!!
Before the interview, Teressa Brown (program director) did mention that only a small handful of acceptances will be sent out the following week after interviews. The next batch will be sent in March. She also mentioned that everyone who interviews is automatically put on the waitlist.

I'm still waiting for my interview:( they didn't send me the date of interview

I must have read the email where they state "you are qualified candidate and will be progressing onto the next phase" a million times. Does this mean I will be guaranteed an interview or still be competing with others to be interviewed.

In any case, stress has never been higher than these past few months, weeks, day with all these deadlines.

I must have read the email where they state "you are qualified candidate and will be progressing onto the next phase" a million times. Does this mean I will be guaranteed an interview or still be competing with others to be interviewed.

In any case, stress has never been higher than these past few months, weeks, day with all these deadlines.

I'm in the same boat. Also got the email but haven't received any notice of an interview :/

Received an interview invite for March! Submitted my application ending on January. But will be declining since I’m attending SDSU!

So look out for an email for those who are still waiting.

Congrats on SDU

I just received my invite to invitation today, I completed my app just before the deadline

Has anyone else heard back post-interview?

It went very well! Very chill and laid-back! Good luck!
I apply and got invited for a interview on the same day, they mention something about a writing part interview, was there really a writing part in the interview

My interview is on March 30, let me know how it goes

I apply and got invited for a interview on the same day, they mention something about a writing part interview, was there really a writing part in the interview
There is no writing portion. Good luck!

For those looking for an update...I was part of the final group of interview candidates this past Friday 3/23. Dr. Brown mentioned that anyone invited for an interview would automatically enter the waitlist, I believe we were about 40 deep. I have no idea how big the groups were from previous interview days so unsure how big that waitlist really is.

I also spoke to Mary and she told me they anticipate the majority of decisions/acceptances would be made by mid April and fully finalized by May and the remainder of students would be placed on the waitlist by rank. However, your rank # will not be known to you unless you're within the top 10 I believe is what she stated. Also, as of 3/23 only 15 students were granted acceptance so there's 25 spots currently available.

I was feeling confident until my interview, really choked it up. I wish everyone else the best.