West Coast Program Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpinkows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm getting away rotations figured out at the moment and I'm trying to figure out sites that would be a better fit for me. I'm attending an east coast program, originally from the west coast, and I'm looking to come back to the west coast for residency. So my application is stronger on the academic side rather than the research side, making me a better fit for a more clinically strong program vs. one that is more research heavy. The attendings at my school have a good idea where I should target on the east coast, but do not have such a clear picture for the west coast. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the programs on the west coast, specifically any UC programs that are less focused on acquiring residents with a strong research background (mine is not deficient, just not exemplary) and more amiable to a strong academic record instead.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I'm getting away rotations figured out at the moment and I'm trying to figure out sites that would be a better fit for me. I'm attending an east coast program, originally from the west coast, and I'm looking to come back to the west coast for residency. So my application is stronger on the academic side rather than the research side, making me a better fit for a more clinically strong program vs. one that is more research heavy. The attendings at my school have a good idea where I should target on the east coast, but do not have such a clear picture for the west coast. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the programs on the west coast, specifically any UC programs that are less focused on acquiring residents with a strong research background (mine is not deficient, just not exemplary) and more amiable to a strong academic record instead.

Thanks in advance

UCLA Harbor
UC Davis
UC Irvine

Though, if you have a great application, doing well on an away will give you a realistic shot at most programs even without significant research, other than UCLA and UCSF.