Welcome to the Pre-PT forum!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerFutureDPT

Academic Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

After several members requested it, we have created this forum specifically for Pre-PT threads, including those about choosing majors, getting hours, application processes, etc.

The other forum is primarily for current students and current MPTs/DPTs to discuss things not related to getting into school...pre-PT students are welcome over there as well, but please no threads about applying to school, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in a Pre-Physical Therapy concentration at community college. When I transfer to a university, do I have to change it to a different major? Should I look for a school that has a pre-physical therapy program, or change my major to something else? If anyone has a answer to my question, that would be great!

Prospectlearn90-

You can do whatever major as long as you do the pre-reqs for PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prospectlearn90-

You can do whatever major as long as you do the pre-reqs for PT school.

Yeah, I'm taking the classes for the Pre-Physical Therapy at cc. I'm just wondering what it will be once I transfer to university. I haven't seen any majors that are what my concentration is now. That's why I'm concerned...

Yeah, I'm taking the classes for the Pre-Physical Therapy at cc. I'm just wondering what it will be once I transfer to university. I haven't seen any majors that are what my concentration is now. That's why I'm concerned...

We're saying that it doesn't matter. Pick basket weaving as a major if you'd like, just complete the pre reqs along the way. If you are worried about your classes not transferring to the university, the only thing I can say is that you should have researched that aspect further. not many universities specifically have pre-pt as a major. but, like I said above, you don't need to select pre-pt as a major. Biology, kinesiology, pre-med, etc work fine if you want your major to stay in the sciences. good luck

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in a Pre-Physical Therapy concentration at community college. When I transfer to a university, do I have to change it to a different major? Should I look for a school that has a pre-physical therapy program, or change my major to something else? If anyone has a answer to my question, that would be great!

You can check out the "GPAs, GRE, etc" sticky thread to see the most common types of majors that pre-PT students choose in undergrad. You can major in whatever you want, but the most common majors seem to be kinesiology, exercise science, and biology.

Also, if you have any other questions to post on this forum, you'll probably get more views and responses if you start your own thread, rather than posting after a "sticky" thread announcement.

We're saying that it doesn't matter. Pick basket weaving as a major if you'd like, just complete the pre reqs along the way. If you are worried about your classes not transferring to the university, the only thing I can say is that you should have researched that aspect further. not many universities specifically have pre-pt as a major. but, like I said above, you don't need to select pre-pt as a major. Biology, kinesiology, pre-med, etc work fine if you want your major to stay in the sciences. good luck

Yeah, I figured it out. Thanks

You can check out the "GPAs, GRE, etc" sticky thread to see the most common types of majors that pre-PT students choose in undergrad. You can major in whatever you want, but the most common majors seem to be kinesiology, exercise science, and biology.

Also, if you have any other questions to post on this forum, you'll probably get more views and responses if you start your own thread, rather than posting after a "sticky" thread announcement.

I decided to major in Biology with a minor in Exercise Science.

Hi guys, im 19 yrs old, im currently battling between doing PTA and DPT. Ive been running up and down forums for the last two weeks, i hear its goods, and i hear its bads. My mom is a speech pathologist and my dad has been in OTA for the last 16 years, is a director of rehab in the hospital he works at, makes good money too. Im not in it for the money, but from what ive researched it seems like PTA's make the same amount that a PT will mike by the time that PT graduates, so if i become a PTA at 21, i have a feeling id be making the same as a PT by 24-26. I only emphasis this because i'd rather not take the extra schooling if the job function is almost the same (if anything better for a PTA because they get more involvement with patients) and the money may slightly be higher. My dad said to go PT because PTA's have to deal with being supervised by PT's, but im not really sure if that would be enough to make me go to school for an extra 4 years. I could use some help guys, thanks!

Hi guys, im 19 yrs old, im currently battling between doing PTA and DPT. Ive been running up and down forums for the last two weeks, i hear its goods, and i hear its bads. My mom is a speech pathologist and my dad has been in OTA for the last 16 years, is a director of rehab in the hospital he works at, makes good money too. Im not in it for the money, but from what ive researched it seems like PTA's make the same amount that a PT will mike by the time that PT graduates, so if i become a PTA at 21, i have a feeling id be making the same as a PT by 24-26. I only emphasis this because i'd rather not take the extra schooling if the job function is almost the same (if anything better for a PTA because they get more involvement with patients) and the money may slightly be higher. My dad said to go PT because PTA's have to deal with being supervised by PT's, but im not really sure if that would be enough to make me go to school for an extra 4 years. I could use some help guys, thanks!

I would suggest you complete some observations hours prior to making your decision so you can see for yourself the differences in how the PT's vs PTA's intereact with the patients. You will need observations hours either route you take. I personally have noticed in the settings I observed that the PT's are able to do more with the patients because they are the ones in charge of their treatment plan. I understand your delima, I had the same concerns when I first started looking into physical therapy schools. In the area I live job security is also much better for PT's. It's much harder for employers to find PT's than it is PTAS. Look into observation :))

Personally, I feel that the way the PT field is going, eventually the PTA profession will be nonexistent. Right now, interest in PT among students is VERYY high. There would be no need for PTAs anymore. Also, the amount of jobs available for PTAs are slowly dwindling. Now employers would rather have someone with a doctoral degree than certification in an area. Just my take on things.

I am in the process of applying for PT schools. Most of the schools want references from either an advisor or a professor. Would it look bad if I don't give them one but instead replace it with a reference from a physical therapist? I went to a big university and even though I would go to office hours for my professors, they still would not recognize me because they had so many other students. I feel like they wouldn't provide a very good reference because they do not know me very well.

I am in the process of applying for PT schools. Most of the schools want references from either an advisor or a professor. Would it look bad if I don't give them one but instead replace it with a reference from a physical therapist? I went to a big university and even though I would go to office hours for my professors, they still would not recognize me because they had so many other students. I feel like they wouldn't provide a very good reference because they do not know me very well.

That is a very fair question, sometimes its hard to build a relationship with professors who have hundreds of students and are also doing research and such. My advice would be to contact some of the schools you are looking into and ask the admissions office. I will tell you right now that at least some of them will stand by reference from an instructor or advisor. At that point, just contact your advisor or a professor you may have had more than once ask if they would write it while including why you want to be a PT in the conversation. Flattery will get you everywhere, tell the professor he or she was your favorite and you loved the course, it should help. Teachers are asked to write LoR all the time. They will understand and be glad to help. I never ran into a problem with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sort of new to this forum and field. However, I've recently became interested in PT. I have a 3.3 in a BS and a 3.4 in a MS. My GRE is 144V, 146Q, 3.5 Writing. I was just wondering if you think I should retake the GRE to apply to some schools, because I know some schools do not even require the GRE if you have a Masters. Also, I feel I could give the GRE maximum effort to improve my score if it would increase my chances in being accepted in to a better program.

You should check the requirements for the schools that you are interested in. Most schools have a minimum requirement for total GRE score (which is usually 300) and some have a minimum writing score, too. Your GPA is lower than average, I think, so you might want to get your GRE as high as possible to be competitive.

what is a good GRE score if I have a 3.5 GPA with undergrad and pre-req combined? Should I aim to be competitive in my GRE score or is there something else that would appeal more that I should focus on? I am applying to OU DPT program next year and I haven't found anything as far as GRE test score requirements but want to get set up the best I can. Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Hi everyone! I just have 2 classes left to receive my Associates of Arts. I've been working at a nursing/rehab home all throughout community college, and while working here I really got to know what being a physical therapist is like. I know in order to become a physical therapist I must have a bachelor's degree to be accepted in a doctor physical therapy program. My question is what kind of bachelor's are physical therapy schools looking for. I've read basically any science bachelors degree is okay? I know I sound very confused but I'm glad I joined this network. Will a Bachelors of Science in Psychology help ? Any advice would be lovely.

-- GRE scores are a major component in the admissions process. Shoot for a 320 combined with at least 160V and 4.0AW to be competitive on that front.
-- ANY bachelor's degree fulfills the requirement to apply to DPT programs, and there is no preference for one degree over another.

Hello all,
I have another "Which degree should I pick?" question, but this one is bit more specific. I am almost finished with my A.A. and now I am stuck between choosing Excercise Science or Athletic Training for my bachelor's. From my personal research, a PT that I have talked to, a friend that is an Exercise Science student and another friend that is an ATC, there are a lot of pros to each degree path. From my understanding, Ex.Sci. will help me with my research abilities while AT will give me the hands on experience.

Although I FULLY understand that your bachelor's degree doesn't quite matter as long as you have the proper pre-reqs, I just want to be set up for as much success as I can! Any and all insight is appreciated!

Last edited:
As a former ex-ATC student (I changed majors after my 2nd year), I would say exercise science is a much better route. You will take classes that are more applicable to other professional degrees and exercise science IMO is more broad so you can do more with it whereas ATC is much more specific. I wish I had changed degrees to ES, but again, that's my own opinion :)

Hello all,
I have another "Which degree should I pick?" question, but this one is bit more specific. I am almost finished with my A.A. and now I am stuck between choosing Excercise Science or Athletic Training for my bachelor's. From my personal research, a PT that I have talked to, a friend that is an Exercise Science student and another friend that is an ATC, there are a lot of pros to each degree path. From my understanding, Ex.Sci. will help me with my research abilities while AT will give me the hands on experience.

Although I FULLY understand that your bachelor's degree doesn't quite matter as long as you have the proper pre-reqs, I just want to be set up for as much success as I can! Any and all insight is appreciated!

see comment above, I meant to hit 'reply'

As a former ex-ATC student (I changed majors after my 2nd year), I would say exercise science is a much better route. You will take classes that are more applicable to other professional degrees and exercise science IMO is more broad so you can do more with it whereas ATC is much more specific. I wish I had changed degrees to ES, but again, that's my own opinion :)

Krissybear, thank you so much for your reply!
The PT that I talked to said something very similar to what you said! Can you go into detail a bit further? BTW, what is your degree in?

Hey guys! I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Chloe Moreno, SPT, has written an incredible resource for PT school applicants. Please check it out if you have any interest. If I should have put this elsewhere, my apologies. I hope it helps some of you land a spot at your dream school :) Good luck!!!

http://www.newgradphysicaltherapy.com/apply-physical-therapy-school/

Reactions: 2 users
Any undergrads here worried about PT school? Could anyone give me guidance? Perhaps a good field to shadow a PT in? Also, are my GRE scores high enough for PT schools or should I retake? I am mainly worried about the math score. Lastly, my dream schools are schools like University of Miami, UF, VCU, or UNC. Do you think these stats are good enough? Sorry I know things like this get posted alot.
Any other undergrads are welcome to share!
I'm a rising junior
Major: Biology/Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.66
In Major GPA (Biology) - this is where almost all my prereqs come from so far: 3.43
In Major GPA (Psychology): 3.94
Volunteer Hours: 65 in outpatient setting so far, planned to shadow geriatric PT and aquatic PT in future
Extracurriculars: Honor Fraternity, Tour Guide, Member of a Leadership Council, Dean's List
GRE: A - 150, V - 158, W - 4.0
Thanks for all your help!

Hello my fellow future physical therapists!

PTCAS application opened yesterday and the site is constantly crashing :[ Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. I had to reload and relogin so many times =\

Hey! I wanted to post my stats and see what anyone thought my chances are on getting in to PT school (in general)?
My GPA is about a 3.4
My prerequisite GPA is about a 3.6
My GRE scores are: 151-Q 145-V 4.5-AW (redoing this to get verbal score up)
As of right now, I have about 80 hours, but plan on doing many more in the coming months (have shadowed at about 4-5 places, planning on getting to about 150-200 by this July, and more during my gap year this coming year)
Anatomy and Physiology I both earned an A in.

The reason my GPA is also not as high as I want it is because of Organic chemistry and my freshman year, as I was not prepared for upper division biology class. However, I did a turn around and my grades got significantly better toward my Junior and Senior year, and I mentioned this in my PTCAS application about the growth I developed from my freshman to senior year academically.

Thanks for the help!

Yes! use your downfalls to your advantage. Show them how much you have grown and bounced back from that experience. Tell them how overcoming this setback will help you in DPT school and as a physical therapist! Pre-PT Grind

Hey! I wanted to post my stats and see what anyone thought my chances are on getting in to PT school (in general)?
My GPA is about a 3.4
My prerequisite GPA is about a 3.6
My GRE scores are: 151-Q 145-V 4.5-AW (redoing this to get verbal score up)
As of right now, I have about 80 hours, but plan on doing many more in the coming months (have shadowed at about 4-5 places, planning on getting to about 150-200 by this July, and more during my gap year this coming year)
Anatomy and Physiology I both earned an A in.

The reason my GPA is also not as high as I want it is because of Organic chemistry and my freshman year, as I was not prepared for upper division biology class. However, I did a turn around and my grades got significantly better toward my Junior and Senior year, and I mentioned this in my PTCAS application about the growth I developed from my freshman to senior year academically.

Thanks for the help!

Any tips for organic chemistry? I am struggling in this class.

Does the school your applying to require organic chemistry as a pre req? If not you can drop the class and save your cumulative GPA

No, the school I'm applying to does not require it (it is one of the choices I could take). However, the university I'm attending requires all biology majors to take the class.

Hey guys, I applied to University of Scranton on Dec. 23, 2017. I haven't gotten an email from them
saying they have recieved my application...I called them last week and they said their system takes a while (4-5 weeks) to
process the application. I'm getting kind of scared now since their deadline is in three days... Has anyone here
applied to this school?

Determination123
Hi friends, I have completed my diploma in physical therapy (three and a half years) in India... I would like to apply for PT assistant in Illinois... I am planning to apply in fccpt for credit evaluation... Can anyone please guide me the procedure from there on .... Really confused and nervous about it ...
Thank you in advance....