Weird decision. Need Help! MCW-Central Wi vs RVUCOM-CO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrignardsReagent

Just an average medical student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I really need some help here. I am a lot more torn about this decision than I thought I would be. I am pretty sure I know the answer here so I apologize I just wanted to confirm.

School- Medical College of Wisconsin- Central Wisconsin

Pros- My only MD acceptance
Strong clinical experience (integrated early and often)
3 year program- saves 90k plus interest.
Only have to take USMLE.
Dean said willing to decelerate you to 4 years to do audition rotations if you want to do a specialty that it is necessary.
Very supportive community and preceptors.

Cons-
Any negatives matching from a 3 year program?
Integrated clerkships?
Less time to rotate. It is how they make up that lost year by getting rid of elective time. Only enough time for one Sub-I before applying in the Match.
Quality of education- Any worries in depth of education coming from a 3 year program?
No USMLE or matching data

Unknowns
Integrated Clerkships- weird.I think I will prefer it. All about continuity of care. Following patients across disciplines etc. Competency based
Matching?

School- RVUCOM-CO
Pros- 4 year curriculum (plenty of time to rotate)
Strong DO school
Curriculum and location I liked.
I liked the fit I had here too.

Cons-
Cost of Attendance is almost 90k/ year (applied for NHSC through RVU though)
Not interested in OMM
DO stigma

Summary:
Unknown 3 year MD program versus a pretty standard 4 year curriculum at a DO school. I liked my fit at both schools and I am older non trad (27) student that is really worried about cost.

Interests of mine are staying in the Midwest. I am interested in primary care (either FM or IM) but also interested in IM>> Sub specialty (Cards or Pulm/CC possibly?) and EM. AKA I have no idea. Never seen a surgery. The IM>> Sub specialty tells me to go MD and not look back.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your interests, RVUCOM would be a strong choice. I do not know enough about 3 year programs.

Exactly. I need some experience here. The 3 year thing is a large enough unknown to make me ask on SDN. One physician that works with a residency program told me not to worry about the 3 year thing as long as my board scores are good and I have the letters of recommendation still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dean said willing to decelerate you to 4 years to do audition rotations if you want to do a specialty that it is necessary

MD, especially since the above is an option. If you end up deciding on a specialty that requires a bunch of electives or you're still undecided about specialty, you can just decelerate to take some extra time (or do a research year where you toss in some away rotations). If you decide on primary care or are clear about your specialty interests, you save 90k and get a jumpstart on residency. Electives are way cooler in residency anyways since you actually get to practice medicine rather than just watch.

Reactions: 2 users
MD, especially since the above is an option. If you end up deciding on a specialty that requires a bunch of electives or you're still undecided about specialty, you can just decelerate to take some extra time (or do a research year where you toss in some away rotations). If you decide on primary care or are clear about your specialty interests, you save 90k and get a jumpstart on residency. Electives are way cooler in residency anyways since you actually get to practice medicine rather than just watch.

This is my favorite post ever on SDN. Thanks!

Decision was as clear as I thought. Thanks all! Looks like MCW-Central Wisconsin it is.