weight loss as part of PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jheritage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the last few years, I made a commitment to change my life. While a large majority of this was to get everything ready to apply for med school (Increase my GPA, rock my MCAT, clinical experience, etc), I also started changing my habits to increase my overall health and appearance. I've lost 120 pounds and 20% body fat in the last year -- 290 pounds down to 170. I have been a large person for most of my life, and I believe that this shows my commitment to this stage of my life, and my determination to achieve what ever I put my mind to.

Do you think this is a viable addition to my PS, or is it more superficial than I'm seeing???

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, we're busy trolling another thread where someone is about to get banned. We'll give this the attention it deserves in a few short minutes.

haha, I saw that... isn't that the same guy who asked how he could go about buying his way into med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait to see if you get a response from any of the admissions committee people who post on sdn.

Personally, I would include this as one of my activities on the application, and not as a part of my personal statement. It is viable evidence that you are a determined person, and therefore may be worth mentioning. Write a blurb about it and save it for when you are filling out the application.

The reason I would not put it in my PS is because it does not explain why you want to be a doctor. You lost the weight as part of pursuing medicine; you are not pursuing medicine because you lost weight.

I would wait to see if you get a response from any of the admissions committee people who post on sdn.

Personally, I would include this as one of my activities on the application, and not as a part of my personal statement. It is viable evidence that you are a determined person, and therefore may be worth mentioning. Write a blurb about it and save it for when you are filling out the application.

The reason I would not put it in my PS is because it does not explain why you want to be a doctor. You lost the weight as part of pursuing medicine; you are not pursuing medicine because you lost weight.

Sounds logical. Thanks.

No problem, and good luck. I'm no expert, so check on this in a couple of days (or subscribe to the thread) to see if you get a response from Catalystik or LizzyM that points you in a different direction.

I interviewed at least one person this year who mentioned this in the application. I don't recall if it was in the PS or the supplemental but it was more along the lines of a desire to walk the walk and live a healthy lifestyle and to be a physician who could empathize with pts who need to make lifestyle changes. It could be part of an interesting personal statement.

I wouldn't pitch it as "this is how much I want it"... but more along the lines of "if I'm going to recommend health behaviors to my patients, I'm going to practice what I preach" and I've started doing that with great results.

Congrats on the WL :)

I interviewed at least one person this year who mentioned this in the application. I don't recall if it was in the PS or the supplemental but it was more along the lines of a desire to walk the walk and live a healthy lifestyle and to be a physician who could empathize with pts who need to make lifestyle changes. It could be part of an interesting personal statement.

I wouldn't pitch it as "this is how much I want it"... but more along the lines of "if I'm going to recommend health behaviors to my patients, I'm going to practice what I preach" and I've started doing that with great results.

Good advice.

Last edited: