This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo

West Coast Best Coast ECC Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applications don't start for a month, but let's get this party started!

After creeping and talking on this thread for several years this will be my first year applying. Very nervous/excited, but I expect to be applying again next year and my ultimate goal is to just get an interview. :). Looking forward to chatting with all the folks applying this year!

At some point I'm going to tag all the humans who have graduated from this thread and are now in vet school, but that is for another time (maybe when people actually have questions).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
could anyone shed me some light about how you improve your leadership skill?

Members don't see this ad :)
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!! So excited for ya'll :)

Would you guys mind sharing your GPA? I hope to be applying next cycle. I am trying to make every other aspect of my application strong since I graduated (BS) with a 2.85 /: I still have a few classes left to take before I am able to apply. I am working full-time at an animal rehabilitation center so It will be a while until I complete those courses. I am just wondering where the rest of you are in terms of "competitive GPA". Thank you for sharing!!

Would you guys mind sharing your GPA? I hope to be applying next cycle. I am trying to make every other aspect of my application strong since I graduated (BS) with a 2.85 /: I still have a few classes left to take before I am able to apply. I am working full-time at an animal rehabilitation center so It will be a while until I complete those courses. I am just wondering where the rest of you are in terms of "competitive GPA". Thank you for sharing!!
Go check out in which year your GPA is highest after all required courses for the vet school are done. To be honest, 2.85/4 (I assume the maximum GPA is 4 since every university has different maximum GPA) is a little less competitive to other applicants'. With 3.95/4.5, I was ranked 20 out of 40 regarding to my academic performance. If your academic performance is not high enough for an interview, you won't be able to make it for the vet school even you are able to get full 40% with your non academic qualities

Last edited:
I don't know GPA, but with an overall of 82.5% and a best year of 87% I'm not really competitive this cycle.

It would really depend on what province you are from. I'm from BC pool which is very competitive, but Sask/Manitoba aren't quite as bad (though Sask was pretty competitive last year). You would have a very hard time with a 2.85 in BC or Alberta.

I don't know what WCVM requires these days, but in their admission requirements UCVM has a cutoff of a 3.0/4 GPA or a B average depending on your school's grading system.
Future DVM Students | Faculty of Veterinary Medicine | University of Calgary
Scroll down and click on "Minimum Academic Requirements" for details. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but there are ways you can try to bring your GPA up.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I've been observing this forum for a while now, and this year is my first time applying! My GPA is not really competitive so I'm trying to come up with a back-up plan if I don't get in this round. Does anyone know WCVM will take the grades from vet tech program to replace the grades from the first couple years of university? If I don't get in this round, I think I'm going to apply for VT program to get more experience and boost up my GPA. Thanks!

I'm not sure where I am at in terms of GPA (3.0??), but my average (including best year) is only 76.30% and I was nowhere close to getting an interview for both Alberta and Aboriginal pools. For WCVM they take the top averages and interview two people for every seat. Your experience isn't taken into account during that process. That's why I'm taking another year or two post-bacc to boost up my average for the next application cycles :)

Hey guys! I've been observing this forum for a while now, and this year is my first time applying! My GPA is not really competitive so I'm trying to come up with a back-up plan if I don't get in this round. Does anyone know WCVM will take the grades from vet tech program to replace the grades from the first couple years of university? If I don't get in this round, I think I'm going to apply for VT program to get more experience and boost up my GPA. Thanks!

Hi barncat! I asked Heather from admissions this question last month and she said no the marks from the vet tech program won't replace any of the previous university years marks.

Hi barncat! I asked Heather from admissions this question last month and she said no the marks from the vet tech program won't replace any of the previous university years marks.
awe that's too bad :( but thanks for the answer! I remember in one of the threads from previous years, someone said grades from Master's do count, any idea if this is true?

Members don't see this ad :)
awe that's too bad :( but thanks for the answer! I remember in one of the threads from previous years, someone said grades from Master's do count, any idea if this is true?

Grades from Master's do count as far as I know. I would email her though just to be sure :)

I don't know GPA, but with an overall of 82.5% and a best year of 87% I'm not really competitive this cycle.

It would really depend on what province you are from. I'm from BC pool which is very competitive, but Sask/Manitoba aren't quite as bad (though Sask was pretty competitive last year). You would have a very hard time with a 2.85 in BC or Alberta.

I am from Southern California. How would I be able to determine if my pool is competitive or not? Thanks for the help:)

I don't know what WCVM requires these days, but in their admission requirements UCVM has a cutoff of a 3.0/4 GPA or a B average depending on your school's grading system.
Future DVM Students | Faculty of Veterinary Medicine | University of Calgary
Scroll down and click on "Minimum Academic Requirements" for details. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but there are ways you can try to bring your GPA up.

No this is exactly what I need! I don't need anything sugar coated. I'm just really trying to come up with a plan on what to do. Like I said I still need a few courses to take to complete my prerequisites. I didn't really know what I was interested during my undergrad until now (unfortunately) so I didn't take all of the requirements for vet school. I'm going to have to apply to a post-bacc program either way because the courses I need are upper divs. I might have to end up taking additional sciency courses that would help boost my GPA even if I can't apply for another 2-3 years. I'm assuming the GPA that they look at is overall correct? So if I'm able to bring it up to a 3.0+ after my post-bacc, I'd at least be in the lower range and hopefully stand a chance ? D:

I am from Southern California. How would I be able to determine if my pool is competitive or not? Thanks for the help:)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to be a Canadian resident to apply to either UCVM or WCVM?
I think it's Alberta-only for UCVM and certain provinces for WCVM, but I'm not 100% positive. I know there are OTHER Canadian vet schools that allow international applicants though, but they're on the Eastern side of Canada, so I'm not sure if that'd be too far from home for you or not.

Ski is 100% correct. You have to live in Alberta for at least a year to apply to UCVM, and in Western Canada for WCVM.

Edit: or be a resident by birth or whatever, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If you apply for DVM at U of Guelph in Ontario, you don't have to be a Canadian to get into the program. You just need to pay more tuition than an Ontario resident does.

I know there are OTHER Canadian vet schools that allow international applicants though, but they're on the Eastern side of Canada, so I'm not sure if that'd be too far from home for you or not.
If you apply for DVM at U of Guelph in Ontario, you don't have to be a Canadian to get into the program. You just need to pay more tuition than an Ontario resident does.
yeah, OVC was one of the other canadian vet schools i was saying existed that do allow international students. But for UCVM and WVCM you DO need to be a canadian resident or citizen to apply

yeah, OVC was one of the other canadian vet schools i was saying existed that do allow international students. But for UCVM and WVCM you DO need to be a canadian resident or citizen to apply

Atlantic Veterinary College at U of Prince Edward Island also accepts US students

So I emailed WCVM directly twice and got no response. Does anyone know if an online course will satisfy the upper division physiology requirement? Also is there a course description as to what must be covered?

Annnnnddd application for WCVM is open!

Got ridiculously excited and filled in my contact info/administrative stuff. Not that I have any intention to do the rest/submit until November. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Annnnnddd application for WCVM is open!

Got ridiculously excited and filled in my contact info/administrative stuff. Not that I have any intention to do the rest/submit until November. :laugh:
Me too! Im super excited for this year. This is your first time applying?
With the competitiveness so intense the past couple of years this year is bound to be a bit tamer right?!?

Hey All!

Just wanted to wish everyone applying this year good luck!
Feel free to ask me any questions you might have :D While I am at UCVM I did apply to/interview at both schools

Me too! Im super excited for this year. This is your first time applying?
With the competitiveness so intense the past couple of years this year is bound to be a bit tamer right?!?
Yup, first year applying! Though unless my grades are spectacular this year I am not competitive for an interview (based on the stats from last year....ugh).

I hope all the high GPA folk got in last year to make this year a little easier for us ;)

How is year 1 treating you so far? Are you liking it? :)
1st year is going well so far, minus one course lol. The exhaustion is taking its toll and I am no longer a coherent, functioning human being :rofl:but other than that I am loving it!

1st year is going well so far, minus one course lol. The exhaustion is taking its toll and I am no longer a coherent, functioning human being :rofl:but other than that I am loving it!

Is that one course anatomy ;)

Is that one course anatomy ;)
Surprisingly no! It's Animals, Health, and Society :bang: I know it isn't a super important course but I just can't seem to get a 6 to save my life :yeahright:. I'm sure that I am only feeling good about anatomy because we haven't had an exam yet :laugh:

Surprisingly no! It's Animals, Health, and Society :bang: I know it isn't a super important course but I just can't seem to get a 6 to save my life :yeahright:. I'm sure that I am only feeling good about anatomy because we haven't had an exam yet :laugh:

When do you guys have your mock anatomy quiz?

Heads up, the Alberta government is pulling their funding from WCVM in 2020 and giving it to UCVM... So no more Alberta students at WCVM starting in the 2020 admissions year. Meaning that UCVM will be expanding their program to include more students. Just got announced today!

Heads up, the Alberta government is pulling their funding from WCVM in 2020 and giving it to UCVM... So no more Alberta students at WCVM starting in the 2020 admissions year. Meaning that UCVM will be expanding their program to include more students. Just got announced today!

I seen that today too! Looks like UCVM will be upping their seats by 20 seats to compensate.
So Alberta students can apply this year to WCVM, and next year (September 2018) but not the next year (September 2019)? I've had tox exams all week so my brain is fried and can't comprehend.

At least people who just moved to Alberta for residency will still be able to apply to both schools. It would really have sucked if you moved for that reason only to not be able to apply to WCVM.

Saddened but honestly not really surprised by this. :(. Giving support and funding to your in-province school makes sense especially since local agriculture and business associates with that school.

I guess this makes Albert a little easier to get in to, hey? Since now the same pool isn't cross applying and getting cross accepted. If you wanted a teaching hospital you are a little out of luck though.

Hey guys! I'll be a first time applicant to UCVM this year :) I was hoping some of you might be able to answer a question for me. What exactly is used to determine who is granted an interview? From my understanding, the GPA for the 10 required courses must be above 3.0 for them to look at your application. Is this used in determining interviews or just for them to basically "open" your app? In the app manual it sounds like they don't use that, just your last 4 terms of study. Is this correct? I'm wondering because my first 2 years of uni went pretty rough (personal things brought my marks down). So when I apply my 10 required courses GPA will be just above 3.0, but the last 4 terms will be around 3.9.

Hey guys! I'll be a first time applicant to UCVM this year :) I was hoping some of you might be able to answer a question for me. What exactly is used to determine who is granted an interview? From my understanding, the GPA for the 10 required courses must be above 3.0 for them to look at your application. Is this used in determining interviews or just for them to basically "open" your app? In the app manual it sounds like they don't use that, just your last 4 terms of study. Is this correct? I'm wondering because my first 2 years of uni went pretty rough (personal things brought my marks down). So when I apply my 10 required courses GPA will be just above 3.0, but the last 4 terms will be around 3.9.

Hey! You are correct, the prerequisite mark is essentially just a cut off for whether or not they look at your application at all... after that all that matters is your last 4 semesters. If you have any other questions, there are lots of UCVMers on here who would be happy to help, including myself :)

Hey future applicants! @SARdoghandler and I have started a vet student vlog, where we will be discussing application/admission stuff in the next couple of episodes! Here's our first episode! Check it out :)

Well the application is in! Pretty crazy that after so many years of wanting to do this I've actually sent in the application.

Motivation to focus and try to kill it these last few weeks of classes :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know for WCVM’s out-of-province interview, does it have to be in person or can we choose Skype interview?

Does anyone know for WCVM’s out-of-province interview, does it have to be in person or can we choose Skype interview?
Usually they have a choice for first round interviews; Vancouver or Saskatoon for BC, Edmonton or Saskatoon for AB. But second round interviews usually take place Saskatoon. I don't think they offer online interviews.
You can always send Heather Mandeville (WCVM admissions advisor) an email, she's awesome and will be able to help you!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself as a new member of this forum. This is my first year applying to vet school, and I applied to both UCVM and WCVM. If anyone in the Calgary area wants to get together to practice MMI questions, please let me know!

Hey! I just wanted to jump in as someone in first year at WCVM that there are a few rumors going on perpetuated by people who obviously don't go to WCVM or have not done enough research.

Rumor #1 WCVM being a larger class (composed of around 75 people) means you don't have access to as many resources. FALSE - the class is divided often (especially in lab) and although you learn your major classes as a group, your labs are often halved or quartered so you are in a group of about 37 or sometimes closer to 18. There is ample opportunity to get to know each and every one of your class mates and it is much more of a community than it is given credit for.

Rumor #2 WCVM has no hands on experience with animals in first year. FALSE - there is actually as much hands on experience as you want. There are quite a few labs that are mandatory to learn how to handle animals and to do different things with them, but you can definitely increase your animal time through clubs or volunteering for on-call shifts, cage-side rounds, biomedical rounds, etc. SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES! Mandatory labs have included putting cattle through a shoot and doing tail and jugular blood pulls, examining rumen motility, ECG on dogs, human, a cat if the cat would cooperate, equine flexion and hoof testing, nerve block demos, and many more! But you can sign up to do things like dehorning, sled-dog examination, research animal handling (like rabbits, gerbils, rats, mice - which we got to take blood and anesthetize), and more but I don't want to spoil it all!

Rumor #3 WCVM has Wednesdays off - TRUE/FALSE - although sometimes you do get the Wednesday off, there are often events you are expected to go to during these times that are mandatory through the school. When it isn't mandatory, these Wednesdays are often used to catch up or for club events which will give you the kind of animal lab that you are super interested in.

I just wanted to jump in because I have heard via friends who attend UCVM what my experience should be at WCVM through not having sense of community, through not having first-hand animal experience and for it being so much easier because of Wednesdays off... I have no ill feelings that these rumors are spread by friends, I just think that the truth should be spoken for each school to be fair to the pre-vet people who may or may not be aware of the school differences.

Reactions: 3 users