WCVM/UCVM C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those currently attending WCVM: I am an RVT and debating working 1 day a week for a little bit of income, and to keep up my skills working in a clinic. Do most people in school not have a job? Does anyone work part time?
Also, do we get any sort of discount at the on site clinic for our pets?

I can't answer the first part, but I know students from any program at the University get a 10% discount on vet services for their pets :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Totally random question but I'm looking for some input on some current students at UCVM. In your opinion, how necessary is a car? I know that we have to go back and forth between two campuses and that transit doesn't really take you up to the campus up north, but are there a lot of people carpooling? Or are there times where you might have to stay back late at one of the campuses so are unable to move with the group? I'm debating whether I should get a car or not but I'd like to get some feedback from current students first!!! Thanks guys.

Hey guys. Totally random question but I'm looking for some input on some current students at UCVM. In your opinion, how necessary is a car? I know that we have to go back and forth between two campuses and that transit doesn't really take you up to the campus up north, but are there a lot of people carpooling? Or are there times where you might have to stay back late at one of the campuses so are unable to move with the group? I'm debating whether I should get a car or not but I'd like to get some feedback from current students first!!! Thanks guys.

So, there are people in our class who do not have a car. They are very, very few. Foothills is easy to transit to, csb is very much not. And there is a 3 week period in February ish when you are doing a pocket pets lab when you do have to be there at odd hours in addition to studying at odd hours when finals are coming up - especially in the anatomy lab. It can be done with kind classmates who can carpool but if you can swing getting a car at all, I'd highly recommend it. There are also out of class (like club or shadowing) opportunities that come up that having a car is very helpful for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, is anyone on here going to WCVM and looking for roommate?

Hello WCVM upper level students! In the e-mail from the school it looks like we have to supply our own gloves? Is this correct? Do we use our own often? Should I get a pack of 100 or 250?

Hello WCVM upper level students! In the e-mail from the school it looks like we have to supply our own gloves? Is this correct? Do we use our own often? Should I get a pack of 100 or 250?

Don't bother getting gloves, the anatomy lab provides them. I'm not really sure why they recommend getting some... You will need coveralls though. Sadly the coverall sales where you can get them personalized don't happen until later on in the year :(

As for your other question, there are a few people who do work during the school year(I believe the clinic likes to hire students as receptionists during the school year), it all depends on how you can balance your school work. There is a lot of information they will throw at you and things will be tough. I didn't work during the school year, but ultimately, the decision is yours. The school clinic does offer discounts and I believe there is also another clinic in the city(Central Animal Hospital?) that also offers vet student discounts.

Don't bother getting gloves, the anatomy lab provides them. I'm not really sure why they recommend getting some... You will need coveralls though. Sadly the coverall sales where you can get them personalized don't happen until later on in the year :(

As for your other question, there are a few people who do work during the school year(I believe the clinic likes to hire students as receptionists during the school year), it all depends on how you can balance your school work. There is a lot of information they will throw at you and things will be tough. I didn't work during the school year, but ultimately, the decision is yours. The school clinic does offer discounts and I believe there is also another clinic in the city(Central Animal Hospital?) that also offers vet student discounts.

You guys have to buy your own coveralls???

You guys have to buy your own coveralls???
Not only most schools want at least these:
1.Navy Blue "Dickies" boiler suit(colour might differ)
2.Parlour top - long-sleeved
3.Waterproof trousers
4.Laboratory coat*2
5.Steel toe-capped wellington boots (rubber boots)
6.Strong leather boots with thick soles & steel toe caps(equine practice)
7.Green surgical scrubs 2
8.Large and small animals thermometer
9.Watch with second hand
10.stethoscope littmann
11.penlight.
Etc.

Not only most schools want at least these:
1.Navy Blue "Dickies" boiler suit(colour might differ)
2.Parlour top - long-sleeved
3.Waterproof trousers
4.Laboratory coat*2
5.Steel toe-capped wellington boots (rubber boots)
6.Strong leather boots with thick soles & steel toe caps(equine practice)
7.Green surgical scrubs 2
8.Large and small animals thermometer
9.Watch with second hand
10.stethoscope littmann
11.penlight.
Etc.

From that list, UCVMers only have to buy boots, thermometer, watch and a penlight haha. Good to know :)

Reactions: 1 users
Guys I just got a call off the waitlist!! I will be joining UCVM class of 2021 I am so excited!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! I was just wondering if there are any current WCVM students that could shed a little bit of light on the One Health Leadership Experience that takes place at the Radisson in Saskatoon on the August 25-27 weekend?

I received an email from the WCVM about the conference and was considering registering for it as it sounds both interesting & valuable, however, the first week of classes is August 21-25 and I was originally planning on using that first weekend to kind of decompress from the week, make sure I am fully prepared and organized for the semester, etc...

I was therefore wondering about some of the details of the conference, such as the length, the format, the attendance requirements (do you have to go both days for the full day?), etc... I guess there is a $50 cancellation fee (after August 21), so I just want to make sure I am fully informed before registering :) Thanks!

Hello WCVMers! Sorry for all the random questions. I am thinking of buying a printer, just wondering what printing costs are like at school? Can we print in the WCVM building or do we have to go to the U of S buildings? Do we need to do a lot of printing?
Thanks in advance!

Does anybody know if everyone gets their ranking from UCVM? Not super important but that interview was just so hard to judge so it would be nice to know how it went (and the essay as well).

Dear WCVMers,
Just wondering what text books you never opened first year and which ones never left your side (trying to decide which ones to buy). Thanks!

Does anybody know if everyone gets their ranking from UCVM? Not super important but that interview was just so hard to judge so it would be nice to know how it went (and the essay as well).
If you're accepted (even if you decline), then they don't ever tell you

@StanTheMan7 - sorry, I didn't go to the OneHealth Leadership thing last year so I can't really shed any light on that, but I was considering it this year. I would recommend going to as many things as you can in the first few weeks though, as it gets harder and harder to find the time to do so as the term wears on.

@CarinaBee - You can print in the WCVM library for the same prices as the rest of the U of S. I do pretty much everything on my computer so I can't really give you a good estimate of printing costs, but many of the profs will actually print lecture notes for you. There were a few assignments we had to print but not too many. As for textbooks, most second year buddies pass them down to their first year buddy so I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything until you get here. You'll also have access to digital copies available for most of the textbooks.

StanTheMan, I signed up for the OneHealth seminar! I'm very excited to go!

Hey Everyone!

I am currently looking for a roommate for the main floor of a 2-bedroom house close to the university! It is pet friendly (upon approval) as I will have my dog with me. If anyone is still looking for accommodations and is interested, they can check out the ad here: Seeking Roommate for 2-bedroom Main Floor (close to U of S!) | room rental, roommates | Saskatoon | Kijiji

I am not sure if anyone checks this thread still or is still looking for accommodations, but I am just trying to post it everywhere I can! Please feel free to text me with any questions about myself or the place - my number is on the ad! :happy:

Happy belated first day of school WCVM'ers! How as the first day?