WCVM/UCVM C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the first couple weeks of summer! :)

I have been doing some prep work for my interview and have come across a couple practice questions that I am not entirely sure how to best approach. I therefore figured that I might as well post them here and see if anybody would have input as to the best way to answer them!

Questions:

1) What would you do if you caught a classmate cheating?
--> Not entirely sure if I would have a moral/ethical obligation to report them? Or if I should show loyalty to my colleagues/friends and instead of reporting them, approach them and talk to them about the situation. Let them know that you are here to help them with the material if they are struggling, etc...

2) What would you do if you were practicing and made a mistake that resulted in the death of an animal?
--> Really a nightmare situation here. My thinking is that the first step would be to verify/ensure that it was human error that resulted in the death of the animal and not some other factor (medical considerations such as a heart murmur, etc...). Once you have verified that it was your error that resulted in the death of the animal, I imagine the best policy would be one of transparency/honesty. Sit down with the owner and explain what happened, accept full responsibility, offer your condolences and monetary reimbursement (if applicable). Outline to them the options they have available if they would like to submit a complaint about you.

3) Finally, I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for current events that would be good to know? I will probably research a couple at the municipal, provincial, federal and international level the day before the interview, but if anybody knows of any super relevant/pertinent current events that a SK applicant should really know, it would definitely be appreciated! I know for my interview last year, their was the whole controversy with Earls refusing to use Canadian beef.

Any feedback or ideas on the above questions would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone figured out any good distractions to keep from losing it while waiting to hear? My work is pretty slow this week so that isn't helping time move any faster!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I hope you're all doing well and enjoying the first couple weeks of summer! :)

I have been doing some prep work for my interview and have come across a couple practice questions that I am not entirely sure how to best approach. I therefore figured that I might as well post them here and see if anybody would have input as to the best way to answer them!

Questions:

1) What would you do if you caught a classmate cheating?
--> Not entirely sure if I would have a moral/ethical obligation to report them? Or if I should show loyalty to my colleagues/friends and instead of reporting them, approach them and talk to them about the situation. Let them know that you are here to help them with the material if they are struggling, etc...

2) What would you do if you were practicing and made a mistake that resulted in the death of an animal?
--> Really a nightmare situation here. My thinking is that the first step would be to verify/ensure that it was human error that resulted in the death of the animal and not some other factor (medical considerations such as a heart murmur, etc...). Once you have verified that it was your error that resulted in the death of the animal, I imagine the best policy would be one of transparency/honesty. Sit down with the owner and explain what happened, accept full responsibility, offer your condolences and monetary reimbursement (if applicable). Outline to them the options they have available if they would like to submit a complaint about you.

3) Finally, I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for current events that would be good to know? I will probably research a couple at the municipal, provincial, federal and international level the day before the interview, but if anybody knows of any super relevant/pertinent current events that a SK applicant should really know, it would definitely be appreciated! I know for my interview last year, their was the whole controversy with Earls refusing to use Canadian beef.

Any feedback or ideas on the above questions would be greatly appreciated!!

I thought responses were supposed to be personal. They want to know what YOU would do.
And I think that just following whats current is your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought responses were supposed to be personal. They want to know what YOU would do.
And I think that just following whats current is your best bet.

We're in a weird spot now where half have done the interview and half haven't so it's hard to say much without giving things away, which is then not fair to those who have already gone. If you've interviewed before @StanTheMan7 then you're probably more prepared than you think!

Like CarinaBee said, they're really trying to get to know how you would personally handle things and get to know you so it's best to just answer honestly. I've heard from other people that a major issue people have is if they try to say what they "should" say so best to just try to be yourself. I know that's not easy at such a high pressure thing but we all feel we are good candidates and would be good vets so just try to keep that in mind and remember that you've got lots of experience and try as much as you can to be confident and be yourself and that's all you can do!

And be happy you only have about a week to wait after the interview - maybe your sanity will remain a bit less damaged.

We're in a weird spot now where half have done the interview and half haven't so it's hard to say much without giving things away, which is then not fair to those who have already gone. If you've interviewed before @StanTheMan7 then you're probably more prepared than you think!

Like CarinaBee said, they're really trying to get to know how you would personally handle things and get to know you so it's best to just answer honestly. I've heard from other people that a major issue people have is if they try to say what they "should" say so best to just try to be yourself. I know that's not easy at such a high pressure thing but we all feel we are good candidates and would be good vets so just try to keep that in mind and remember that you've got lots of experience and try as much as you can to be confident and be yourself and that's all you can do!

And be happy you only have about a week to wait after the interview - maybe your sanity will remain a bit less damaged.

Thanks for your response - you make some good points!

I understand what you're saying about some people having done their interviews already and some having not, but wouldn't that only really apply if I was asking applicants about their interview experience? I wasn't really looking for a response or for advice from other applicants, but rather advice or information from people that are already in veterinary school or have already obtained their DVM!

Yes! I've already been through the interview once and know to just answer honestly and be myself! As I mentioned, I was moreso looking for information on certain topics from current veterinarians or veterinary students. For example, I received a response to my post (via message) from a current veterinary student who was able to give me some information to help with those questions! I now feel better equipped to answer any question of this manner. It never hurts to arm yourself with more information in my opinion!!

Last edited:
Thanks for your response - you make some good points!

I understand what you're saying about some people having done their interviews already and some having not, but wouldn't that only really apply if I was asking applicants about their interview experience? I wasn't really looking for a response from other applicants anyways, but rather advice or information from people that are already in veterinary school or have already obtained their DVM!

Yes! I've already been through the interview once and know to just answer honestly and be myself! As I mentioned, I was moreso looking for information on certain topics from current veterinarians or veterinary students. For example, I received a response to my post (via message) from a current veterinary student who informed me that the WCVM has a written honour code that specifies that students have a moral obligation to report cheating! I didn't know that this "honour code" existed, but now that I do I feel better equipped to answer any question of this manner. It never hurts to arm yourself with more information in my opinion!!

Hello StanTheMan7

My opinion is that you can figure out a solution for a critical moment based on your life experiences. Think about those moments when you encountered in your life (like if you disapprove of one of your coworker and you caught her stealing money out of a cash register, how will you do) and the consequences from the decisions you made. The interview is more or less for the admission to know how you react at a critical point. I think they decide the questions based on your application that some questions are unique to every applicant.

Hello StanTheMan7

My opinion is that you can figure out a solution for a critical moment based on your life experiences. Think about those moments when you encountered in your life (like if you disapprove of one of your coworker and you caught her stealing money out of a cash register, how will you do) and the consequences from the decisions you made. The interview is more or less for the admission to know how you react at a critical point. I think they decide the questions based on your application that some questions are unique to every applicant.

For sure - that is definitely what they are looking for with some of their questions. But I think that some of the other questions they ask will have a "right" or "wrong" answer. For example, what is a veterinarians starting salary? How long is the program? So while your life experiences/personality/opinion/etc... will definitely come into play for some of the questions they ask, they are definitely looking for specific answers in regards to some of the other questions.

Last edited:
For sure - that is definitely what they are looking for with some of their questions. But I think that some of the other questions they ask will have a "right" or "wrong" answer. For example, what is a veterinarians starting salary? How long is the program? So while your life experiences/personality/opinion/etc... will definitely come into play for some of the questions they ask, they are definitely looking for specific answers in regards to some of the other questions.

yes they are.

Last edited:
Update on acceptances!

Heard an update from the admissions dean of UCVM today that WCVM is about a week behind this year - so they won't be finalizing their choices until around June the 8th (UCVM is this week). Calls will not go out until both schools have finalized their lists so don't expect to hear anything until after the 8th!

I didn't want you all freaking out with no calls in the first week when we got them on the 4th last year!

Reactions: 4 users
Update on acceptances!

Heard an update from the admissions dean of UCVM today that WCVM is about a week behind this year - so they won't be finalizing their choices until around June the 8th (UCVM is this week). Calls will not go out until both schools have finalized their lists so don't expect to hear anything until after the 8th!

I didn't want you all freaking out with no calls in the first week when we got them on the 4th last year!

Thanks for the update! I really wish it was sooner but at least it's good to know it won't be so we aren't freaking out on Saturday!

Is anyone else losing their mind waiting, then jumping every time your phone rings? :arghh::dead:

the date when the admission releases the result is on 10th June, right?

the date when the admission releases the result is on 10th June, right?
WCVM emailed Alberta applicants and said that they are aiming for letters to be posted online on the 8th with calls going out the same day, so I imagine letters will be posted the same day for all applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
WCVM emailed Alberta applicants and said that they are aiming for letters to be posted online on the 8th with calls going out the same day, so I imagine letters will be posted the same day for all applicants.

Hello DMatt94

What does it mean "app. June 10/17" on “Message of The Day" in the application? I am confused

Does anyone know how they chose the order for the calls? Last name? Spot number? Randomly?!

Also, are letters e-mailed first thing in the morning?

Guys... I just got the call from UCVM! :cat:

Reactions: 6 users
So excited for you guys! Are you guys waiting to hear back from WCVM as well?

I see the semester for U of C is to start September 5 this fall. Is that the same for the DVM program?

I see the semester for U of C is to start September 5 this fall. Is that the same for the DVM program?

Sounds right. We do block week, so regular classes start a week earlier than undergrad classes. But firsties get to have fun and go tour around vet places!

Orientation is the end of the week before that though, so if you are going to be a firstie at UCVM you need to plan to be around basically from August 30 or so (I think orientation was the Thursday/Friday). But they send you a lot more info later in the summer

I got into WCVM!!!! Waitlisted for UCVM

WCVM letters are up ... I got waitlisted. So I think I will be going to UCVM :hardy:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everybody!! So exciting for all of you :)

Welcome to the Freemartins, Peach :p :soexcited: We're a cool bunch! You should get added to your 2021 Facebook group once all of the acceptance of positions come in!

Congrats everybody!! So exciting for all of you :)

Welcome to the Freemartins, Peach :p :soexcited: We're a cool bunch! You should get added to your 2021 Facebook group once all of the acceptance of positions come in!
The freemartins :laugh: :rofl:
Thank you!

Congrats you guys!! That is awesome, what will you be doing to celebrate?!!
I received my official rejection letter from WCVM and I am 19th out of 21 aboriginal applicants. Here's hoping taking another year of courses, and having my first year taken off, allows me to jump 15 spots for next year!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I just found out that I got put on the waiting list for UCVM!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats you guys!! That is awesome, what will you be doing to celebrate?!!
I received my official rejection letter from WCVM and I am 19th out of 21 aboriginal applicants. Here's hoping taking another year of courses, and having my first year taken off, allows me to jump 15 spots for next year!

I was nowhere near an interview with WCVM for the last 2 application cycles (c/o 2019 & 2020), I think I ranked somewhere in the middle (even mid-low) amongst all Alberta applicants. I did an additional year of undergrad and managed to get a second round interview this time around so it is possible!! I felt so discouraged at times doing the extra year but it went by so fast and made me realize how bad I want this!! You got this!! :cat:

Found out this morning I got into WCVM! Honestly must have stared at the email for 30 minutes before summoning the courage to open it. Finally opened it, saw the first word was "congratulations" and nearly had a heart attack :laugh:
To everyone else that was offered a position at UCVM or WCVM - CONGRATULATIONS! :highfive:

To everyone that was waitlisted or not offered a position, keep your head up and don't give up! I've been working towards this for 6 years (ever since I graduated high school in 2010). This was my fourth time applying and second time interviewing! It's a long road, but if you stick with it and work hard you will get there eventually!

First time applying this year after only 2 years university and I got UCVM and WCVM!!

Congratulations to everyone and I can't wait to meet some of you in August!

First time applying this year after only 2 years university and I got UCVM and WCVM!!

Congratulations to everyone and I can't wait to meet some of you in August!

What school are you leaning towards? If you're coming to UCVM and need a place to live, hit me up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to everyone who got an offer from either school! And if you're waitlisted, I was called off the waitlist the year I got in, so don't lose hope.

I'm thinking WCVM. Just want to take the weekend and make sure I am making the right decision.
Hey there! First off, congrats on both acceptances, that's awesome! I'm also in UCVM 2020 and I got in after 2 years of undergrad like you, so let me know if you have any questions before you make your decision :)

Reactions: 1 users
What school are you leaning towards?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm also leaning towards WCVM but then of course second guessing because it is a really big decision and both have pros and cons! I'll decide by Monday at the latest!

Considering sending in my acceptance to UCVM today but I am hesitant because I know that I am very high on the WCVM waitlist and there is a very good chance that I would get in ... are all you UCVM'ers happy with your choice/happy you got into UCVM? @SARdoghandler @awesomenessity @Squeaksmom @AussieBorderCollie
@CarinaBee and @Sally and Z I was wondering if you might share why you are leaning toward WCVM :)
I might just be psyching myself out because it is such a big decision :confused:

I'm out working right now so I can't write anything long but I am VERY happy with my choice of UCVM. However, I also want to be a cow vet so keep that in mind.

Also, if anyone is in Calgary this weekend UCVM has a booth out at the Spruce Meadows National so if you are around, feel free to come out if you want to talk to students about the school!