WCVM/UCVM C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh! I ended up speaking with Heather this morning and also just wanted to provide some additional information regarding this years application pool and first/second round interview invites.

Heather gave me some information regarding first round and second round invites that I was not aware of. Invitations are sent based on academic rank and 2/3rds of the invitations are sent out first round while 1/3rd of the invitations are sent out second round (I previously thought it was 50% first round and 50% second round).

I also inquired about my application and the fact that I got a first round invite last year and hadn't received one this year. She was able to inform me that the SK applicant pool is much larger this year than previously. I believe she said they had about 100 applicants this year, which is up from the usual 70-80 applicants. She informed me that this likely means the grade cut-off for an interview is higher this year, which explains why I didn't get a first round invite this time around.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh! I ended up speaking with Heather this morning and also just wanted to provide some additional information regarding this years application pool and first/second round interview invites.

Heather gave me some information regarding first round and second round invites that I was not aware of. Invitations are sent based on academic rank and 2/3rds of the invitations are sent out first round while 1/3rd of the invitations are sent out second round (I previously thought it was 50% first round and 50% second round).

I also inquired about my application and the fact that I got a first round invite last year and hadn't received one this year. She was able to inform me that the SK applicant pool is much larger this year than previously. I believe she said they had about 100 applicants this year, which is up from the usual 70-80 applicants. She informed me that this likely means the grade cut-off for an interview is higher this year, which explains why I didn't get a first round invite this time around.

Hello StanTheMan

It must be harsh to compete against such large group of applicants. I was more surprised after knowing this news from you. Luckily, I still have 4 more courses left and have confidence to boost my GPA up to 4 by the end of the pre-vet courses, or I will become less competitive to others. The interview takes place too soon that doesn't allow me to build up more experiences for the interview, but anyway, I am glad of getting this offer in the first round.

Don't give up. I believe you are getting there. Wish you luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, does anyone know the WCVM thoughts on online classes taken through an institution like TRU?

My GPA is still not where I want it going into this next application season so I was hoping to take a course or 2 this summer to boost it even a little before the fall semester starts. However, I don't have time in my schedule to go to a sit down class several times a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anyone know the WCVM thoughts on online classes taken through an institution like TRU?

My GPA is still not where I want it going into this next application season so I was hoping to take a course or 2 this summer to boost it even a little before the fall semester starts. However, I don't have time in my schedule to go to a sit down class several times a week.

From talking with Heather, it doesn't really seem to matter where the courses are taken, so as long as you aren't retaking a course or a course that conflicts with one you've already taken you should be fine! Just remember that summer courses are only counted in the cumulative gpa and not the best year. Good luck!!

*ps no more BBC? :eek: I like the new name change!

From talking with Heather, it doesn't really seem to matter where the courses are taken, so as long as you aren't retaking a course or a course that conflicts with one you've already taken you should be fine! Just remember that summer courses are only counted in the cumulative gpa and not the best year. Good luck!!

*ps no more BBC? :eek: I like the new name change!
After the type A grade panic ended and I came back to reality I realized there was no way I have time for a course this summer, nor do I want to spend the money. :laugh: Thank you for the feedback, though!

Regarding username change: Yeah, since I post in a lot of the threads on here I wanted something that gave me a little more privacy. You know as well as I do that saying I'm from BC automatically narrows it down to 3 schools. :p That combined with the information I have shared on different threads over the past year got me a little worried about my confidentiality. At least now people will have to go through all 1000+ posts if they want to discover who I am. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but a first-time poster. I was wondering if anyone knows if/how WCVM uses grades in the GPA calculation from a course based masters? I will be graduating next year, but realistically I will only have a 3.29 GPA. That's only if they drop my first two years spent in a different degree due to the fact that I will have 6 years of undergrad by that time. Sigh...I wish that I had done better early on, but I can't fix that now. I'm strongly considering a course based masters degree, but I don't know if they would take those grades into account. My last two years are so much stronger than anything else, that I think if I could continue that I may be able to get an interview...someday.

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but a first-time poster. I was wondering if anyone knows if/how WCVM uses grades in the GPA calculation from a course based masters? I will be graduating next year, but realistically I will only have a 3.29 GPA. That's only if they drop my first two years spent in a different degree due to the fact that I will have 6 years of undergrad by that time. Sigh...I wish that I had done better early on, but I can't fix that now. I'm strongly considering a course based masters degree, but I don't know if they would take those grades into account. My last two years are so much stronger than anything else, that I think if I could continue that I may be able to get an interview...someday.

WCVM only uses cumulative gpa (2/3) + best year gpa (1/3). They count the best year as a typical school year (Sept-April) and you have to be taking at least 4 classes each semester in that year. I don't know how dropping early years of undergrad works though for cumulative gpa. I know for myself that they are taking my entire 5 years of undergrad for my cumulative. I'm with you on the *wish I'd done better in my early years* :p

Talking to Heather, Masters gpa sounds like it gets combined with the gpa of your undergrad years, so doing a course based masters could be helpful, but researched based masters won't give you enough courses to make much of an impact into your gpa. Keep in mind that Masters courses will probably be more difficult then undergrad courses and if you are doing a course based you have to factor in the additional cost. (I am also strongly considering doing a Masters, but I've decided if I don't get in this year, I'm going to take a year off to save up monies, gain more experiences, etc). Also, keep in mind that you should only do a masters if you actually want to do something with it if you don't get into vet school. If the sole reason you are doing a masters is to get into vet school and you aren't actually that interested in the subject, it would probably just be better (cheaper and easier) to take post-bacc courses to boost your gpa.

I noticed you are from Alberta. Have you looked into UCVM? I think they have less emphasis on overall gpa and more focus on the last 45 and experience which would be a great option for you. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure @SARdoghandler or @awesomenessity would be happy to answer questions about UCVM :)

I am taking one online course too, but it doesn't seem to be a problem to meeting the requirement for the vet school. If it was a problem, I wouldn't have had a chance to have the interview.

@SnowshoeDog143 Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm so late getting back, group projects are trying to kill me :sleep: I definitely want to do the masters anyway, as it looks like a backup plan that I could at least live with if I never get in. UofC is out unless I re-take some pre-recs, but I'm worried that they will drop my last 20 courses and mess up any masters applications in the future...chem was not my friend, and I'm not honestly sure that I could do better a second time around. Especially since I haven't looked at anything but animal science courses for a year and a half.

I also don't really know how the drop a year thing works, other than that sometimes they will even drop two if you have done at least 7 years of undergrad and improved significantly. I definitely have, and in addition, I was undergoing treatment for a serious illness during that time, only took 3 courses a semester, and they mostly were not even science courses...so...I'm hoping?

@SnowshoeDog143 Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm so late getting back, group projects are trying to kill me :sleep: I definitely want to do the masters anyway, as it looks like a backup plan that I could at least live with if I never get in. UofC is out unless I re-take some pre-recs, but I'm worried that they will drop my last 20 courses and mess up any masters applications in the future...chem was not my friend, and I'm not honestly sure that I could do better a second time around. Especially since I haven't looked at anything but animal science courses for a year and a half.

I also don't really know how the drop a year thing works, other than that sometimes they will even drop two if you have done at least 7 years of undergrad and improved significantly. I definitely have, and in addition, I was undergoing treatment for a serious illness during that time, only took 3 courses a semester, and they mostly were not even science courses...so...I'm hoping?

Hi Val d'Isere,
I'm not sure how WCVM drops 2 years, but I know for sure to drop one year you need 150 credits by June 30th of the year you are applying. I am taking another year of post-bacc courses starting September 2017, and by June 2018 I will have 150 credits so they will drop the first year. Sorry if that makes no sense (finals time) but I can forward the email Heather at admissions sent me to ya if you need it!

Good luck to everyone on their finals!!

Reactions: 3 users
Can't remember if I brought it up on here or not, but for BC applicants make sure you know the situation going on at the Vancouver Aquarium. :)

Speaking of that, I would be interested to talk about that and see the opinions of others. So thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for letting us know. I also was under the impression they divid the interviews up 50/50 between the two rounds, and frankly makes me more nervous about receiving an offer :s. It seems like all the pools are becoming more and more competitive, I have heard that BC's pool had a lot more applicants last year than ever before.

Ahh well theres not much that can be done. Good luck to everyone, hang in there!

I know it's still a week away that transcripts are due by, but I still don't have my final grades from one class and the professor always is late handing grades back for it, so I'm going to probably be last minute on that which ruffles my nerves even though I am normally a late person. Also nerves are proabably slightly due to the fact I had a dream the other night I got a D in that class because my prof decided not to give out A's and curved it so D was average.

Edit: just realized transcript deadline is the 15th not the 1st.. relief haha

Last edited:
I know it's still a week away that transcripts are due by, but I still don't have my final grades from one class and the professor always is late handing grades back for it, so I'm going to probably be last minute on that which ruffles my nerves even though I am normally a late person. Also nerves are proabably slightly due to the fact I had a dream the other night I got a D in that class because my prof decided not to give out A's and curved it so D was average.

Edit: just realized transcript deadline is the 15th not the 1st.. relief haha

I was going to say that but thought maybe they were different for different provinces! We aren't even done finals until the end of this week here so the 1st wouldn't work very well for me either!

Any study tips for our interviews next week with WCVM?

Any study tips for our interviews next week with WCVM?
I am looking for any advice too. I cracked my nerves last week for 4 finals cramming in a week. Now I need to stay sharp for the interview. Fortunately, two of the subjects that I worried about getting a bad grade turned out to be pretty good on my transcript. All I need to do is to figure out how to convince the admission to accept me ^^

I read on previous threads that people googled "vet med interview questions" and they asked similar questions at the WCVM interviews. I also heard they ask things unrelated to vet med like current events and things like that

I read on previous threads that people googled "vet med interview questions" and they asked similar questions at the WCVM interviews. I also heard they ask things unrelated to vet med like current events and things like that
I've heard the current event thing for sure. I've been trying to look into some of that stuff.

I realize I'm a couple days late, but GOOD LUCK to all those WCVM first round interviewees!

Reactions: 2 users
How did everyone find interviews went? I think mine went well overall but all this waiting is making me overthink things

How did everyone find interviews went? I think mine went well overall but all this waiting is making me overthink things

Yep, I think the waiting is making us all into crazy people and we've all gone over every answer 100 times in our heads! Still 2nd rounds to go (invites should be out next week?) then decisions. Time is moving so slowly.

Which province are you again? I'm guessing BC since your profile picture says Vancouver under it but you never know!

Yep, I think the waiting is making us all into crazy people and we've all gone over every answer 100 times in our heads! Still 2nd rounds to go (invites should be out next week?) then decisions. Time is moving so slowly.

Which province are you again? I'm guessing BC since your profile picture says Vancouver under it but you never know!

I was originally from BC but applied from SK this year. Yeah I don't know how I'm going to survive the wait.

Last edited:
Congrats on your interviews today! Do you all think they went well?? I haven't posted yet, but have been looking through these forums for awhile. It is my first time applying and I'm nervously waiting for second round interview invites/rejections. The waiting is giving me some pretty intense anxiety because I have no idea where on the scale I lie since it seems to fluctuate so much each year, and if my grades are even competitive enough to land an interview.
For those of you who have interviewed, did they give you some sort of timeline to as when you'll find out your acceptance standing? That is so exciting! I'm sure you all did well!
And @fishfinn, did you move to SK for the purpose of attaining a residency to apply to WCVM? I'm considering it since my first year grades are pretty terrible and I still need to take a fifth year (or move) to complete my undergrad.

Congrats on your interviews today! Do you all think they went well?? I haven't posted yet, but have been looking through these forums for awhile. It is my first time applying and I'm nervously waiting for second round interview invites/rejections. The waiting is giving me some pretty intense anxiety because I have no idea where on the scale I lie since it seems to fluctuate so much each year, and if my grades are even competitive enough to land an interview.
For those of you who have interviewed, did they give you some sort of timeline to as when you'll find out your acceptance standing? That is so exciting! I'm sure you all did well!
And @fishfinn, did you move to SK for the purpose of attaining a residency to apply to WCVM? I'm considering it since my first year grades are pretty terrible and I still need to take a fifth year (or move) to complete my undergrad.

Yep I moved to gain residency after doing 5 years of undergrad in BC.
I think In most past years final decision have been out in mid June or so, but it could be as late as July 1st. The sooner the better!

Hi! I've lurked for a while but this is my first time posting. I had my interview this morning and went to work right after to keep myself busy and take my mind off of it. The waiting and overthinking is pure torture. Last year, results came out on June 9th so hopefully this year will be at about the same time.

The interview overall went pretty well. I have prepared to reapply next year and have planned to gain more clinic and farm experience for the second attempt, so the waiting is not that torturous.

Last edited:
For those of you who applied last year - around what date did they send out second round interview invitations (or those of you that know)? I've spoken to admissions and know I'm just around the GPA cut-off for the BC pool and just want this anxiety to subside and get on with my life, haha. And for the sanity of all of you that interviewed, I hope the results are sent out early.

The WCVM portal says after May 15th, fingers crossed they really mean on May 15th!

For those of you who applied last year - around what date did they send out second round interview invitations (or those of you that know)? I've spoken to admissions and know I'm just around the GPA cut-off for the BC pool and just want this anxiety to subside and get on with my life, haha. And for the sanity of all of you that interviewed, I hope the results are sent out early.

I got mine (Alberta) May 18th last year. It likely won't be the 15th because that's the deadline for transcripts to get there but hopefully really soon after that!

The plus side of second round interviews is the wait afterwards is super short but waiting to know if you got an interview isn't great either. The whole process is very high anxiety!

i just just got a second round interview email (as an Alberta resident). im currently on vacation until may 22nd, and now im super stressing! good luck everyone else, the wait isn't much longer now!!

Reactions: 4 users
i just just got a second round interview email (as an Alberta resident). im currently on vacation until may 22nd, and now im super stressing! good luck everyone else, the wait isn't much longer now!!

I also just got a second round invite today (sask pool)!! Super happy since I've basically spent the entirety of the last year obtaining a bunch of different/diverse experiences for interview purposes! I'm just glad that I'll at least have the chance to be heard.

It'll be my second time interviewing so hopefully it'll go better than the first! If anybody has any suggestions for prep material or things to look at/know, I would definitely appreciate it. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Also got an offer today (AB applicant). It was unsuspected, but very welcome. It will be my first time interviewing, any tips or advice or insight into what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who heard back today!!
Has any one from BC pool received a second round interview so far? I am so anxious I am probably developing an ulcer.

@sunrise91 I applied from the BC pool and nothing yet, so no idea if they just haven't been sent out or I'm out of luck. Sitting here developing an ulcer as well, hahaha. Good luck and good job to all of you who have received them :)

Also a waiting BC-er. Congrats for all those who got interviews for AB and SK!

Congrats on the interviews everyone! Has anyone applied as Aboriginal Equity? Wondering if those interview offers are sent out separate or if they are sent out with the province pools.

Hey you guys! I applied from the BC pool and did receive a second round interview offer today for WCVM

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey you guys! I applied from the BC pool and did receive a second round interview offer today for WCVM
Congrats! At least now we pretty much know seeing as they probably sent out the offers today. Hopefully next year :)

Congratulations for those of you that got a second round!!!

Also sorry to those of you who didn't. :( Next year will hopefully be the year for you!

Friend of mine from BC pool also got one, so it indeed looks like everything went out today.

Congrats! At least now we pretty much know seeing as they probably sent out the offers today. Hopefully next year :)

Ah too bad. Next year for sure!!

Congrats to everyone who got a second round interview!! I wish you the best of luck! Hoping you all do awesome at your interviews :):xf:

I completely agree! I felt pretty good about mine originally, but now I am questioning everything I said :confused:

I know you guys haven't heard back from Calgary yet, but if any of you will be moving here and need a place to live, shoot me a message! I'll be looking for a roommate for next school year :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those of you that are in Vet school and from Alberta, just wondering around what time acceptance phone calls were made? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure we got ours the first weekend of June, because I was sitting at the same horse show I'm going to this weekend, but this show was a postponed a week last year. None of that makes sense but know it was the first weekend of June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Calls went out June 4th for acceptance last year (UCVM)!