WCVM/UCVM C/O 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's hoping they send them out first thing in the morning so I don't have to check my phone all day at work! Also, do they notify you if you don't get an interview as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my interview offer from UCVM!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone hearing the good news from UCVM this morning! And for the people who didn't get the answer they wanted- don't give up. The huge change they made to their admissions process messed things up for a lot of people this year.

But on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know how WCVM determines who to give their first round and second round interviews to? I realize the first round doesn't look at any grades currently in progress while the second round does. But how many people do they give offers to the first time around? Is there a quota? Not sure how it works.

Also, has anyone interviewed from BC? They put me with the BC pool this year. Just not feeling safe as their cutoff was apparently 83 and I have an 84. What was the cut off the last 2 years if anyone has that info? Just want to see the trend in how fast the academic inflation is happening :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's hoping they send them out first thing in the morning so I don't have to check my phone all day at work! Also, do they notify you if you don't get an interview as well?

Yes they do :)

I got my UCVM offer for an interview as well!

And yes CarinaBee, they do tell you either way so that is at least nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my interview offer from UCVM!

I got my UCVM offer for an interview as well!

And yes CarinaBee, they do tell you either way so that is at least nice.

Yaaaaaaas! Congrats both of you! Have you ever interviewed before? If you have any questions, either Nessie or I got chu.

Huge congrats!!!! @SARdoghandler and I will be floating around all day helping out! (we should get username nametags SAR :laugh:)

Hahahhaha. I don't think they'd let us do that. For another option, look for the really tall girls (we are both 5'10"!). I'm the brunette and Nessie is the blonde and we're usually found relatively attached at the hip!

In other news, make friends with your fellow SDNers! I met Nessie the summer before we started thanks to connecting on SDN and we're besties 4 lyfe.

Reactions: 1 user
In other news, make friends with your fellow SDNers! I met Nessie the summer before we started thanks to connecting on SDN and we're besties 4 lyfe.

giphy.gif

Basically us hahaha

Yaaaaaaas! Congrats both of you! Have you ever interviewed before? If you have any questions, either Nessie or I got chu.

Hahahhaha. I don't think they'd let us do that. For another option, look for the really tall girls (we are both 5'10"!). I'm the brunette and Nessie is the blonde and we're usually found relatively attached at the hip!

Thanks guys!
This will be my second time interviewing.

Congrats to everyone hearing the good news from UCVM this morning! And for the people who didn't get the answer they wanted- don't give up. The huge change they made to their admissions process messed things up for a lot of people this year.

But on a completely unrelated note, does anyone know how WCVM determines who to give their first round and second round interviews to? I realize the first round doesn't look at any grades currently in progress while the second round does. But how many people do they give offers to the first time around? Is there a quota? Not sure how it works.

Also, has anyone interviewed from BC? They put me with the BC pool this year. Just not feeling safe as their cutoff was apparently 83 and I have an 84. What was the cut off the last 2 years if anyone has that info? Just want to see the trend in how fast the academic inflation is happening :/
What changes did UCVM make this year? Doesn't really apply to me since I can't apply, but still curious. :p

WCVM first round are solely grades. They just are not based on the grades you get second semester (by the time they offer them, they do know your 1st semester final grades). So your average is all credits up until that point, and then if first semester is on track to be your best year, they assume that you will maintain those grades 2nd semester and use that as your best year average. Once all the interviews and final grades are in, they recalculate to make the list of who actually gets in. 2nd round interviews are the same, except that they already have your final 2nd semester grades and rank accordingly.

It changes every year, but USUALLY cut off is around 83/84 cumulative average with a best year of 87 or 88.

What changes did UCVM make this year? Doesn't really apply to me since I can't apply, but still curious. :p

WCVM first round are solely grades. They just are not based on the grades you get second semester (by the time they offer them, they do know your 1st semester final grades). So your average is all credits up until that point, and then if first semester is on track to be your best year, they assume that you will maintain those grades 2nd semester and use that as your best year average. Once all the interviews and final grades are in, they recalculate to make the list of who actually gets in. 2nd round interviews are the same, except that they already have your final 2nd semester grades and rank accordingly.

It changes every year, but USUALLY cut off is around 83/84 cumulative average with a best year of 87 or 88.

They no longer consider your GPA from your prerequisites, you just have to have above a 3.0 average. The only GPA they look at is last 4 semesters :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first UCVM interview, I only had a WCVM one last year. The MMI definitely scares me more than the regular panel interview so any advice you can safely give will be appreciated!

This is my first UCVM interview, I only had a WCVM one last year. The MMI definitely scares me more than the regular panel interview so any advice you can safely give will be appreciated!

We aren't really allowed to say much, but I can still give you some good advice! If the interviews are anything like last year, then they are "true" MMIs. I.e. many questions are not veterinary related at all. So no point in reading Rawlins or whatever that is usually recommended, I found that book interesting but of no use to the MMIs.

On the other hand, when I bought that book I also happened to pick up "Multiple Mini Interview for the mind" by Kevyn To. Literally the most helpful thing if you've never done an MMI. Helps you structure how you might answer questions as well as having a bunch of sample stations (that were very helpful during my MMI. Especially because it showed that there are such a thing as MMI stations where you are NOT just answering a prompt to interviewers... But that is all I can say on that...). Best investment I ever made and it's super short too.

Other than that, other things that worked for me: wear an outfit that makes you feel confident, adopt "power pose" while reading the station prompts (it really helps!), and come to terms with the fact that there are going to be a couple stations that you bomb. The advantage of the MMIs is you can make a total fool of yourself at one station but brush it off and be great at the next. Be ready to brush things off and don't let one station get to you!

That's everything off the top of my head right now but I'm sure I can think of more or try to answer any questions you might have!

Oh, and if anyone is in Calgary, I have no issue lending that little MMI book I mentioned to you!

We aren't really allowed to say much, but I can still give you some good advice! If the interviews are anything like last year, then they are "true" MMIs. I.e. many questions are not veterinary related at all. So no point in reading Rawlins or whatever that is usually recommended, I found that book interesting but of no use to the MMIs.

On the other hand, when I bought that book I also happened to pick up "Multiple Mini Interview for the mind" by Kevyn To. Literally the most helpful thing if you've never done an MMI. Helps you structure how you might answer questions as well as having a bunch of sample stations (that were very helpful during my MMI. Especially because it showed that there are such a thing as MMI stations where you are NOT just answering a prompt to interviewers... But that is all I can say on that...). Best investment I ever made and it's super short too.

Other than that, other things that worked for me: wear an outfit that makes you feel confident, adopt "power pose" while reading the station prompts (it really helps!), and come to terms with the fact that there are going to be a couple stations that you bomb. The advantage of the MMIs is you can make a total fool of yourself at one station but brush it off and be great at the next. Be ready to brush things off and don't let one station get to you!

That's everything off the top of my head right now but I'm sure I can think of more or try to answer any questions you might have!

Oh, and if anyone is in Calgary, I have no issue lending that little MMI book I mentioned to you!
SAR, did you purchase Rowlins/whatever the book was by any chance? I do want it, so I would be happy to buy it off of you if you want.

SAR, did you purchase Rowlins/whatever the book was by any chance? I do want it, so I would be happy to buy it off of you if you want.
I do have it. It's currently gathering dust on my shelf hahaha. We had an entirr behaviour class last semester about welfare issues and discussed his views as part of it so I'm sure I can part with it now hahaha

I do have it. It's currently gathering dust on my shelf hahaha. We had an entirr behaviour class last semester about welfare issues and discussed his views as part of it so I'm sure I can part with it now hahaha
If you want to part with it and make some money I'll take it off your hands. Just shoot me a PM so we can sort out details. :)

Oh man just reread my phrasing and it sounds like I am demanding the book from you. :laugh: I meant to politely ask if you wanted to get rid of it, and then offer to help you with that. :p

I got the interview at UCVM as well! First time interviewing as I am only in my second year of university now! I will be in the Saturday afternoon rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the interview at UCVM as well! First time interviewing as I am only in my second year of university now! I will be in the Saturday afternoon rotations.

That's great CarinaBee! We have a ton of people in my class who got in after two years of university! You might see Nessy and I around. We're signed up to be floating help all day. Come say hi if you spot us!

Yay! Congrats all UCVMers who got interviews!

It always amuses me how most of the vet schools have already started giving out acceptances and here we in Canada are just getting interview offers :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users

Darn, I've been thinking about buying that book but I'm not in Calgary so I can't get it from you, too bad!

Thanks for the advice, anything helps!

Does anyone know how many stations there are/how long you have at each? I thought it may be on the website or in the info package but I didn't see it (though I was reading it over quickly while at work).

hi, congrats everyone on their interview offers! i am also interviewing this year (for the second time, as my username suggests!) anyone else in the morning session?

also i only applied to UCVM last year, so forgive me for these questions, but does anyone have an idea how the WCVM interviews go? are you offered a single date/time as your interview? or do you get to choose? anyone interviewed in calgary before?

sorry i'm just super worried because i have booked a trip from may 11-22 and this thread says the interviews are usually around that time?! ahhhh! i mean, this is assuming i even get a first round interview, i have no idea what the pool will be like.

hi, congrats everyone on their interview offers! i am also interviewing this year (for the second time, as my username suggests!) anyone else in the morning session?

also i only applied to UCVM last year, so forgive me for these questions, but does anyone have an idea how the WCVM interviews go? are you offered a single date/time as your interview? or do you get to choose? anyone interviewed in calgary before?

sorry i'm just super worried because i have booked a trip from may 11-22 and this thread says the interviews are usually around that time?! ahhhh! i mean, this is assuming i even get a first round interview, i have no idea what the pool will be like.
First round you can choose somewhere in your province or Sask. Second round I believe you have to go to Sask. I don't know the details about offers, sorry.

Congrats on the interview again!!

Darn, I've been thinking about buying that book but I'm not in Calgary so I can't get it from you, too bad!

Thanks for the advice, anything helps!

Does anyone know how many stations there are/how long you have at each? I thought it may be on the website or in the info package but I didn't see it (though I was reading it over quickly while at work).

If I remeber correctly, there are 8 stations and you have ten minutes at each station (minimum 2 minutes to read the prompt). Plus the 1 hour (?) to write approx 750 word essay. I knew all that before going to the interviews so I'm sure that's public knowledge somewhere I'm allowed to share haha.

@awesomenessity Is my memory good or do I have it all wrong? Haha

If I remeber correctly, there are 8 stations and you have ten minutes at each station (minimum 2 minutes to read the prompt). Plus the 1 hour (?) to write approx 750 word essay. I knew all that before going to the interviews so I'm sure that's public knowledge somewhere I'm allowed to share haha.

"8.1 Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI) The MMI is a standardized interview process that consists of a series of 10-minute miniinterview stations (usually 7 or 8), where applicants rotate from station to station. MMIs present situational scenarios that are designed to assess the applicant’s understanding of the veterinary profession and non-academic attributes that reflect the goals and objectives of the UCVM DVM program and of the veterinary profession.

8.2 On-Site Essay Applicants will be required to write a timed on-site essay on the day of their interview."

From the application manual which is a very easy to look over document on the website :laugh: But yeah I think we got about an hour to write the essay.

Hi, This is my 3rd time applying to WCVM and I've interviewed in the second round once before. As for second round interview offers, they seem to be sent out around mid May. I got mine May 15 in 2015 and I was given an option of interviewing in Saskatoon either the 25 or 26th, I was not given an option for time. And I think that last year's second round interview offers and interview dates were scheduled a few days later than in 2015. Mind you, I am a BC applicant, but I was under the impression they interviewed all applicants over the same two days in Saskatoon. So you should be fine, unless they decide to be super early this year. Good Luck!

Just stumbled across this site, so figured I would post.
I got my UCVM interview offer as well. It will be my first time interviewing so a bit nervous but very excited!

Reactions: 1 users
I will also be interviewing in the morning session. This is my third year applying. My first year was really holding me back, so I'm so glad they changed the criteria

I'm in the morning too - weird! It seems like most of us have morning interviews.

Did all of the UCVM interviewees also apply at WCVM?

Last edited:
I'm in the morning too - weird! It seems like most of us seem to have morning interviews.

Did all of the UCVM interviewees also apply at WCVM?
I applied to WCVM as well as UCVM. This is my first year applying to WCVM.

Do you know when the tour of the CSB is? Are there two (one for morning people and one for afternoon) or is it after all the interviews are done?

Not sure if you know that info but thought it was worth checking!

I think there were two last year, one for each session. Not sure how they're running it this year though :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For this year, of those that applied to both schools do you have a preference of which one you would like to attend more?

ideally i'd like to stay in calgary, just to save some money by being able to live at home, but realistically if i got into either school, i'd be thrilled. i really like the idea of WCVM's teaching hospital!

also, any other UCVM interviewees starting to feel nervous? i actually starting to dream of vet school interviews! :p
i know from my MMI experience last year there isn't all that much you can do to prepare, but that doesn't help the jitters.

I have a morning interview for UCVM as well! If anyone wants to get together to practice MMI questions in the days leading up to the 11th let me know :) I don't live in Calgary but will be there on the 9th. I've gotten together with others in the past and found that it helps the nerves!

Less than a week before UCVM interviews! So excited to meet all of you applicants!

On a related note, this week is not too insanely crazy for me. So if anyone in the Calgary area (or going to be here before Saturday) wants to get together to discuss what UCVM is like or how it felt to go through the MMI (obviously I can't give any specifics, but just general things I found helpful!) I could be available after class. I know that sometimes it's just helpful for the nerves to just have the chance to talk face to face with someone who has done it!

Otherwise, good luck everyone! I'll be rooting for you all!

Less than a week before UCVM interviews! So excited to meet all of you applicants!

On a related note, this week is not too insanely crazy for me. So if anyone in the Calgary area (or going to be here before Saturday) wants to get together to discuss what UCVM is like or how it felt to go through the MMI (obviously I can't give any specifics, but just general things I found helpful!) I could be available after class. I know that sometimes it's just helpful for the nerves to just have the chance to talk face to face with someone who has done it!

Otherwise, good luck everyone! I'll be rooting for you all!

I'll take you up on that offer! This will be my 3rd interview at UCVM.. I think it would be helpful to chat with someone who's had success :) I will PM you. Also, wondering if you (or anyone else!) have suggestions for practice essay topics?

I'll take you up on that offer! This will be my 3rd interview at UCVM.. I think it would be helpful to chat with someone who's had success :) I will PM you. Also, wondering if you (or anyone else!) have suggestions for practice essay topics?

Yeah, for sure! My schedule can be a bit all over the place in evenings, but I'm sure I can work with your schedule!

As for the essay... I familiarized myself with some of the current big topics in vetmed at that time (things like antibiotic resistence etc) but honestly (from what I remember) the question was not relevant to that and I likely would have performed just as well even if I did no prep for the essay. So I guess that's not actually all that helpful hahaha. If I were going to work on writing mock essays for practice, my leaning would probably be to set ethical dilemma questions for yourself. Something that gives you room for choosing a side and defending it. However, wording and writing arguments and essays was always a strength for me, so I never practiced for it per se. So take my advice with a grain of salt haha

Hi guys,
I have a weird amount of trouble finding the page that has the stats from last year and other years of who has gotten in (UCVM). I know I have found it before but today nothing! Does anyone know where to find it and want to help me out since my brain isn't working?

Hi guys,
I have a weird amount of trouble finding the page that has the stats from last year and other years of who has gotten in (UCVM). I know I have found it before but today nothing! Does anyone know where to find it and want to help me out since my brain isn't working?

Probably partially because they never posted the 2020 stats =P

Don't know about the other years. @awesomenessity ?

Hi guys,

They took them off the website before this application session and never posted ours.... not sure why but that's how it is haha. I wanted to see our stats personally so I'm a bit miffed they never posted them!

They took them off the website before this application session and never posted ours.... not sure why but that's how it is haha. I wanted to see our stats personally so I'm a bit miffed they never posted them!

Thanks! That explains why it was harder than usual!

I think that they took them off because they changed the application process. That's what they said when I emailed them.

Just an update for UCVM people: we got an update on some of the stats from past years - only on GPA cut off for invitation for interview though so not anything super in depth. If anyone wants to know, you can PM me and I can let you know. Just don't want to post it publicly when the school has not put stats up again. =)