Wayne State vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wowsers0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me decide between the two please! (MI resident)

Wayne
~58k CoA
-I love the city of Detroit, both living here and training in urban hospitals.
~300 student class size
-Ranked pre-clinical year

Hofstra
~79k CoA
-East garden city is hella boring, but Hofstra is an hour east of NYC.
-99 student class size
-Amazing curriculum, newer facilities, and Hofstra is co-owned by a healthcare systems so clinical rotations will no issue.

Overall, if money wasn't an issue, I think I would go to Hofstra, but that extra 21k a year plus interest might be too much.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What are your career goals ?

Good question.

I'm more into the idea of practicing medicine than doing research; however, I understand that many specialties are research heavy.

I'm very interested in ENT (I know it will be difficult) and neurology. I'm NOT interested in specialties that require an insane amount of work hours after residency (e.g. Vascular). Additionally, I'd like to work in a big city for my residency and onwards.

As for family, I don't have too much interest in getting married and having children in the foreseeable future, but who knows, it could all change.

Help me decide between the two please! (MI resident)

Wayne
~58k CoA
-I love the city of Detroit, both living here and training in urban hospitals.
~300 student class size
-Ranked pre-clinical year

Hofstra
~79k CoA
-East garden city is hella boring, but Hofstra is an hour east of NYC.
-99 student class size
-Amazing curriculum, newer facilities, and Hofstra is co-owned by a healthcare systems so clinical rotations will no issue.

Overall, if money wasn't an issue, I think I would go to Hofstra, but that extra 21k a year plus interest might be too much.

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully this isn't too late to be of use to you.
First of all, congratulations! It's nice to have decisions to make and I'm sure that wherever you end up you'll be able to have a positive experience; but, maybe my experience can help give you some guidance. I too am a Michigander and I too had to choose between Hofstra and Wayne. I ended up choosing the former, for reasons that I'll get in to, but first let me address the pros/cons list you've made.

Prices: Not too much to say there, Wayne is indeed the cheaper option. You'll have to weigh the other aspects to see if they are worth the extra dollars.

Location: As you say "garden city (/hempstead) is hella boring", but that's not entirely fair. The beautiful thing about Long Island is that you're always only twenty minutes or so from something worth doing. I play tennis on the north side of the island, go mountain biking out east, kiteboard down south, and road bike to the west. And if that's not you scene, then there's plenty of parks, beaches, museums, restaurants, bars, clubs, concert venues etc. not too far away. Of course, there's the City too. And if you're willing to drive a bit, Boston, Philly, DC, the Jersey Shore, the Catskills, and the Adirondacks are all within reach. Plenty of interesting things to do, regardless of what you're interested in.

Class size: I am personally a huge fan of the small class size. I went to a small university so there's probably some bias there and I do know that there are some advantages to bigger classes but I still feel that 100 is a much better number than 300. One thing that Hofstra does really well is creating a class culture that is very unique to each year. The lectures are mandatory which sounds sort of overbearing in theory, but in practice it really works well both for the social benefits of (everyone is always there) and the academic benefits (everyone is always there). 100 students is a good number because you feel valued, both by your peers and by the faculty; the class as a whole feels cohesive and personable and not like a faceless crowd.

Curriculum, etc.: If the AAMC has its way, all the schools will slowly have to drift towards what Hofstra has right now in order to maintain accreditation. Most schools are already a good way there, but to start there is probably cleaner and better. You'd be part of the 7th class and so you are still very much in the formative years of the school; this means that you get to play a significant role in establishing the traditions and guiding the curriculum. This is palpable; there is a real sense that your words and opinions have real and immediate effects. The curriculum as it is right now (and it constantly improves) is quite good. There's a nice balance of small group and large group learning, lab time, and clinical experience. It's sort of hard to explain to people at other schools, but it's organized around broad themes like molecular biology (e.g. cell bio, cancer, reproduction, genetics), metabolism (e.g. GI, biochem), homeostasis (e.g. cardio, renal, pulmonary), etc. which works well. There are at least, probably 2 or 3 guest lecturers a week from the hospital system and quite a few of them are like the Chief of such-and-such specialty and they all seem pretty eager to have students shadow them. It's very very easy to take advantage of Northwell's resources (the big healthcare system).

Lastly, the real reason that I chose Hofstra is that it was the only school that I visited where the students seemed excited to be there in particular. At the other schools, Wayne included, students seemed to be glad to be in medical school in general, but their school was just a way to become a doctor. The students I talked to at Hofstra were legitimately glad to be at Hofstra; 1st years praised the curriculum, 4th years talked about how well they were prepared for rotations, everyone quipped about intramural sports. It seemed like a fun and worthwhile place to go and it definitely has been.

Hopefully that helps. If you have any questions at all, please, don't hesitate to ask; I'd be glad to try and answer them.
Once again, congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully this isn't too late to be of use to you.
First of all, congratulations! It's nice to have decisions to make and I'm sure that wherever you end up you'll be able to have a positive experience; but, maybe my experience can help give you some guidance. I too am a Michigander and I too had to choose between Hofstra and Wayne. I ended up choosing the former, for reasons that I'll get in to, but first let me address the pros/cons list you've made.

Prices: Not too much to say there, Wayne is indeed the cheaper option. You'll have to weigh the other aspects to see if they are worth the extra dollars.

Location: As you say "garden city (/hempstead) is hella boring", but that's not entirely fair. The beautiful thing about Long Island is that you're always only twenty minutes or so from something worth doing. I play tennis on the north side of the island, go mountain biking out east, kiteboard down south, and road bike to the west. And if that's not you scene, then there's plenty of parks, beaches, museums, restaurants, bars, clubs, concert venues etc. not too far away. Of course, there's the City too. And if you're willing to drive a bit, Boston, Philly, DC, the Jersey Shore, the Catskills, and the Adirondacks are all within reach. Plenty of interesting things to do, regardless of what you're interested in.

Class size: I am personally a huge fan of the small class size. I went to a small university so there's probably some bias there and I do know that there are some advantages to bigger classes but I still feel that 100 is a much better number than 300. One thing that Hofstra does really well is creating a class culture that is very unique to each year. The lectures are mandatory which sounds sort of overbearing in theory, but in practice it really works well both for the social benefits of (everyone is always there) and the academic benefits (everyone is always there). 100 students is a good number because you feel valued, both by your peers and by the faculty; the class as a whole feels cohesive and personable and not like a faceless crowd.

Curriculum, etc.: If the AAMC has its way, all the schools will slowly have to drift towards what Hofstra has right now in order to maintain accreditation. Most schools are already a good way there, but to start there is probably cleaner and better. You'd be part of the 7th class and so you are still very much in the formative years of the school; this means that you get to play a significant role in establishing the traditions and guiding the curriculum. This is palpable; there is a real sense that your words and opinions have real and immediate effects. The curriculum as it is right now (and it constantly improves) is quite good. There's a nice balance of small group and large group learning, lab time, and clinical experience. It's sort of hard to explain to people at other schools, but it's organized around broad themes like molecular biology (e.g. cell bio, cancer, reproduction, genetics), metabolism (e.g. GI, biochem), homeostasis (e.g. cardio, renal, pulmonary), etc. which works well. There are at least, probably 2 or 3 guest lecturers a week from the hospital system and quite a few of them are like the Chief of such-and-such specialty and they all seem pretty eager to have students shadow them. It's very very easy to take advantage of Northwell's resources (the big healthcare system).

Lastly, the real reason that I chose Hofstra is that it was the only school that I visited where the students seemed excited to be there in particular. At the other schools, Wayne included, students seemed to be glad to be in medical school in general, but their school was just a way to become a doctor. The students I talked to at Hofstra were legitimately glad to be at Hofstra; 1st years praised the curriculum, 4th years talked about how well they were prepared for rotations, everyone quipped about intramural sports. It seemed like a fun and worthwhile place to go and it definitely has been.

Hopefully that helps. If you have any questions at all, please, don't hesitate to ask; I'd be glad to try and answer them.
Once again, congratulations!

Puremittens thank you SO much for your response. Overall I would much, much rather go to Hofstra. As you said, the class size, curriculum, and enthusiasm that the current students have (a few Hofstra students have already reached out to me privately) make me want to go to Hofstra. However, due to the 20k+ a year different in COA, I worry that I should "suck it up" (I still think Wayne is a good program and love Detroit) for four years instead of facing potentially an extra 160k+ in debt that could take years to pay off. Hopefully I can get some financial aid though.

Best Wishes.

I will be an incoming M1 at Hofstra and I will say this: small class size, amazing curriculum, and affiliation to Northwell Health (by far one of the largest hospital networks in the nation) make Hofstra worth the extra cost. It has also been consistently increasing in rankings (not a super reliable metric but I'll mention anyways). You can try negotiating for some money by saying you have been accepted to your state school but would really love to go to Hofstra (this worked for me with another pair of schools). Best of luck, and hopefully I'll see you in a few weeks!

Keeping in mind your pros and cons and after reading @puremittens informative post, my vote is also for Hofstra. I know very little about both schools, but if Hofstra is where you want to go, 80k should not stop you.

Reactions: 1 user
Uhh what? People saying Hofstra are crazy.

Wayne State >> Hofstra. It's significantly cheaper, has a more established name, doesn't have weird faculty/students and doesn't make you become an EMT.

Hofstra is where all the would-be med school rejects go.

Wayne State >> Hofstra. It's significantly cheaper, has a more established name, doesn't have weird faculty/students and doesn't make you become an EMT.

Lol where on Earth did you hear that?

sounds like someone's sitting on the hofstra waitlist hoping to be set free lol

Reactions: 1 user