This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Posed this as an extension of a military med thread I made a few days ago, but figured I'd also post it in this thread for feedback. I was recently offered full tuition at Wayne State University. However, I was also accepted to Sidney Kimmel Medical College (Thomas Jefferson University).

I'm trying to decide between HPSP or loans at Jefferson, or taking the full ride at Wayne. I've grown up in Detroit and went to Wayne for undergrad, so the idea of moving away to Philadelphia is pretty appealing. Also, Jefferson is slightly better ranked (53) vs. Wayne (73). I think I would have more fun and be happier at Jeff. However, I would have to take out around $80k per year in loans or do HPSP to afford it. Is Jeff that much better?

Debating whether I should make the most of Detroit another 4 years for substantially less debt and more freedom without an initial military commitment. (Still might do this later on but it can be limiting for residency choices as I've seen on here and plans change over the course of med school). It's not that I hate Detroit, just have been here since birth. In the end I know physicians make a good salary and most have a large amount of debt. However, I wonder if it would be best to limit debt/initial commitments and take the full ride rather than go to Jeff for the experience/slightly better educational value.

Think I'm answering my own questions but I appreciate any feedback from someone who might have been in a similar situation. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak specifically for the schools, but I just couldn't imagine taking out those loans (>320k) or giving up a significant portion of your freedom (military) over two similarly ranked schools.

Unless you just had some incredible drive to serve and really loved Jefferson.

If I were in your position I would go to Wayne. I know the thought of moving away for school is appealing. But you will be so busy at school you may not get a chance to explore Philadelphia as much as you would like. The chance to graduate with minimal debt should never be taken lightly. I have a sizable chunk from my undergrad and have been paying them for the past two years. It is not fun. Plus you could go somewhere else for residency or easily move to a new area when you start practicing!!The difference in rank is negligible since they are both mid tier schools. If you want to be in academia then going to a top 20 over a full ride at Wayne would be more plausible/advisable. Unless you can't see yourself being happy at all at Wayne then go to Jefferson otherwise take the money and run! Good luck man and congrats!

My personal opinion is that it would be ridiculous to turn down Wayne unless you absolutely hated it. HPSP has a lot of major flaws, and it's also pretty competitive so you could not get it. This is a ton of money we're talking about, and the difference in prestige between these schools is not even close to worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My personal opinion is that it would be ridiculous to turn down Wayne unless you absolutely hated it. HPSP has a lot of major flaws, and it's also pretty competitive so you could not get it. This is a ton of money we're talking about, and the difference in prestige between these schools is not even close to worth it.
Oh i already got offered Navy HPSP as well. But yeah I see your points!

Oh i already got offered Navy HPSP as well. But yeah I see your points!

Oh, cool! In that case, I'd say go Wayne unless you want to work in the military more than you care about the money. My understanding is that doing military medicine means you lose a lot of money in the long run, even counting them paying for your school. If you are going to join the military no matter what, I guess it doesn't make a difference. I'd personally go to Wayne just to have the flexibility and not be 100% locking myself in to the service commitment.

For me, it would be a no brainer to go with Wayne. I don't think the difference in ranking is enough to really be factored, and having no debt will make a profound impact on your freedom pursuing residencies.

How does low debt give more freedom in pursuing residency? I mean it seems like all physicians make enough to pay off the debt. What's another year or two of paying loans compared to a better experience during med school? Just to play devil's advocate.