Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should have one from when you set up your Quest account! It will be your Quest username @uwaterloo.ca

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! We are the orientation committee for the Class of 2019! CONGRATULATIONS! We are so excited for you to be joining our big optom family this September! We have a facebook group set up for you guys to meet your new classmates/roomies (organize housing), post any questions you may have about coming to Waterloo, as well as anything else you can think of! Please join only if you have been accepted as the information will only be relevant to those coming to Waterloo this September. We can't wait to meet you all, and welcome to the exciting journey that is UW Optometry!

Alex, Brooklyn & Melissa
Optometry 2019 Orientation Co-Chairs

https://www.facebook.com/groups/673778219398056/

Hey guys I rejected unfortunately and I was hoping that you may some answers to a few questions I have.

My stats aren't too good (80.3% average, 340 TS, 330 AA) but I would consider my supporting documents (awards, skills) to be highly above average (Black Belt, 2x competitive soccer mvp, lots of shadowing, worked in an eye clinic, and more). I also did my bachelor degree in 5 years because I took a bunch of optionals to boost my average. I have a big rising trend in my grades (I had an average of around 75-76% going into my 4th year). However, my grades only started going up as I took less and less science courses (but I'm convinced that the rise is due to a better work ethic). Additionally, on most years, the lowest average that Waterloo accepts is 79 or 80%.

I will definitely be re-taking my OAT this summer. Would you think that scoring a 360-370 0n my OAT be the equalizer to an otherwise below average application? Also, do you know if pre-reqs are weighted differently from other courses?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm getting worried as I don't have any more room for improvement as far as cumulative GPA goes (I finished my degree in 5 years, so I took many courses). All I can do is get a better OAT score and get even more extra-curriculars, and I don't know if that's enough.

Also, this was my first time applying.

Any answers would be VERY VERY appreciated.

P.S. sorry for highjacking the thread and killing the mood :p

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I GOT IN!! AHHHH....SHAKING SOO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!!! SEE YOU ALL IN SEPTEMBER!!!1

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I rejected unfortunately and I was hoping that you may some answers to a few questions I have.

My stats aren't too good (80.3% average, 340 TS, 330 AA) but I would consider my supporting documents (awards, skills) to be highly above average (Black Belt, 2x competitive soccer mvp, coordinator of a tutoring club for the financially disadvantaged, lots of shadowing, worked in an eye clinic, and more). I also did my bachelor degree in 5.5 years because I took a bunch of optionals to boost my average, and I am convinced I did at least well in the interview.

I have a big rising trend in my grades (I had an average of around 75-76% going into my 4th year). However, my grades only started going up as I took less and less science courses (but I'm convinced that the rise is due to a better work ethic). Additionally, on most years, the lowest average that Waterloo accepts is 79 or 80%.

I will definitely be re-taking my OAT this summer. Would you think that scoring a 360-370 0n my OAT be the equalizer to an otherwise below average application? Also, do you know if pre-reqs are weighted differently from other courses?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm getting worried as I don't have any more room for improvement as far as cumulative GPA goes (I finished my degree in 5 years, so I took many courses). All I can do is get a better OAT score and get even more extra-curriculars, although this could be futile considering that my GPA is already pretty low and that the boost only came after taking many, many less science courses (I took only 4 science courses in my last 2 years of university).

Sorry to hear you didn't make it in. I'd recommend contacting the admission board ([email protected]). I know someone who didn't get in last year and contacted them. They'll look at your file and let you know how they think you can best improve your chances of getting in.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user

My stats aren't too good (80.3% average, 340 TS, 330 AA) but I would consider my supporting documents (awards, skills) to be highly above average (Black Belt, 2x competitive soccer mvp, coordinator of a tutoring club for the financially disadvantaged, lots of shadowing, worked in an eye clinic, and more). I also did my bachelor degree in 5.5 years because I took a bunch of optionals to boost my average, and I am convinced I did at least well in the interview.

I have a big rising trend in my grades (I had an average of around 75-76% going into my 4th year). However, my grades only started going up as I took less and less science courses (but I'm convinced that the rise is due to a better work ethic). Additionally, on most years, the lowest average that Waterloo accepts is 79 or 80%.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm getting worried as I don't have any more room for improvement as far as cumulative GPA goes (I finished my degree in 5 years, so I took many courses). All I can do is get a better OAT score and get even more extra-curriculars, although this could be futile considering that my GPA is already pretty low and that the boost only came after taking many, many less science courses (I took only 4 science courses in my last 2 years of university).

P.S. sorry for highjacking the thread and killing the mood
Hey I'm sorry for your news. I don't know anything about how admissions make their decision but it looks like your marks and OAT was okay. After reading about other people's stats it seemed alright but not significantly low. Can you be certain that you did well on the interview? I know it's easy to feel like you did well in the interview if you felt good after doing it. But i got a lot of feedback from people I practice with and I got a lot of good suggestions that I wasn't aware of.

Hello again from the 2019 orientation committee!

The group is now open so you do not need a waterloo email to join to make it easier for everyone. If you have been accepted, please join and again, congratulations!!!

Your 2019 co-chairs,
Alex, Brooklyn and Melissa

https://www.facebook.com/groups/848250668554662/

Sorry to hear you didn't make it in. I'd recommend contacting the admission board ([email protected]). I know someone who didn't get in last year and contacted them. They'll look at your file and let you know how they think you can best improve your chances of getting in.

Best of luck!

Sent them an email. Thanks for your advice.

Hey I'm sorry for your news. I don't know anything about how admissions make their decision but it looks like your marks and OAT was okay. After reading about other people's stats it seemed alright but not significantly low. Can you be certain that you did well on the interview? I know it's easy to feel like you did well in the interview if you felt good after doing it. But i got a lot of feedback from people I practice with and I got a lot of good suggestions that I wasn't aware of.

I had a lot of practice for the interview with some very qualified people and I really felt like it payed off. That much I can say. I guess there is no way of really knowing though...

So if it says "We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet", does that mean I wasn't admitted?

Thanks

So if it says "We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet", does that mean I wasn't admitted?

Thanks

They told me on the phone that the results are yet to be official. My guess is that they might place you on the waiting list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok, thanks for your help!
If your status is still application, 99% chance you're on the wait list. (happened to me last year) and you should get an email for your wait list number tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. fingers crossed for you be high up on the waitlist!

If your status is still application, 99% chance you're on the wait list. (happened to me last year) and you should get an email for your wait list number tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. fingers crossed for you be high up on the waitlist!
Thanks a lot! Forgot to congrats all the others who have been accepted, so happy for you guys :D

I think the only thing you need to work on is your academics. Because your GPA is on the lower side, you should definitely work on your OAT and aim for HIGH, to show that you can score high academically. I think next year if you score 360+, you'd be sitting in a good spot.

Thanks
Mine says this too. We'll have to check our e-mail tomorrow to see if we're waitlisted.

They told me on the phone that the results are yet to be official. My guess is that they might place you on the waiting list.

Congratulations to those who got admitted. However, I find that misleading that they told you that the results are not official considering that some people are admitted, on the wait list, or denied based on Quest. My friend was denied as well and called the admission office. They gave her a sense of hope as well and said to wait for the official letter at the end of the month, which is confusing and brutal to say the least since results are on Quest

Admitt!!!
Does anyone know what the conditional offer of admission is? I've done all the prereqs so maybe a minimum average?

Congratulations to those who got admitted. However, I find that misleading that they told you that the results are not official considering that some people are admitted, on the wait list, or denied based on Quest. My friend was denied as well and called the admission office. They gave her a sense of hope as well and said to wait for the official letter at the end of the month, which is confusing and brutal to say the least since results are on Quest
I think that what they mean is that some people got a conditional admission and have to maintain their gpa's in order to get in. Plus, waiting lists are pending. So in that sense, results are not official. But yes I agree that it is confusing and that it could give false hopes to some people.

I see, well despite your status on Quest do you believe it's possible that you can be placed on the waiting list or be admitted bc that would be great instead of being fully "rejected on Quest" considering that they told you and my friend the same thing about results not being official. I'm just asking bc my friend is pretty distraught right now so any advice would be appreciated :)

Admitted! Excited to meet you all next year!

I think that what they mean is that some people got a conditional admission and have to maintain their gpa's in order to get in. Plus, waiting lists are pending. So in that sense, results are not official. But yes I agree that it is confusing and that it could give false hopes to some people.

On their website it says all offers of admission are conditional. Is that what everyone sees on Quest?

Reactions: 2 users
Admitted! Excited to meet you all next year!

On their website it says all offers of admission are conditional. Is that what everyone sees on Quest?
Yes thats what I see

I see, well despite your status on Quest do you believe it's possible that you can be placed on the waiting list or be admitted bc that would be great instead of being fully "rejected on Quest" considering that they told you and my friend the same thing about results not being official. I'm just asking bc my friend is pretty distraught right now so any advice would be appreciated :)

I think we got rejected and there's unfortunately no way around it. I also think that the earlier she comes to terms with this, the better off she will be. That's what I did, and my eyes are already fixed on the next admissions cycle (not to say that the bad news aren't affecting me, of course).

Most important thing imo is to be productive in the meantime. If she is in her 3rd year of university, then she should be happy she got the interview because she will most likely get it again next year. Plus, most people make it in after 4 years (I think that last year's class had around 9 people that got admitted in 3rd year, so there is no shame in not being part of that 10%).

If she is graduating this year, then it is an opportunity for her to do many things that she otherwise wouldn't be able to do had she been accepted; ideally they would be growth experiences and would pay dividends in the future (I will learn a language and get some sort of certification). Like this, she will graduate as a better, more accomplished optometrist and individual than she otherwise would have been.

If she believes she can get a better score on the OAT, she should re-take it (I will be doing that).

If there are any classes that she could re-take to boost her avg, she should re-take them (I will most likely do that).

I hope she hangs in there during these tough times. Feel free to pm me if she needs anything else.

Last edited:
Rejected... 86.5% average and 380TS/360AA on OAT and I definitely didn't bomb the interview. I don't even know what to say.

Rejected with 3.7 GPA and 350 TS on the OAT, interview went very well too, shadowed 3 options for 50 hours each, 500+ hours of volunteer experience.....

Honestly pretty blindsided... but its off to NOVA in fort lauderdale for me!

congrats to everyone who was accepted (I secretly hate you doe.....) lol

I got my email. It says that the letter will come in the mail within the next two weeks

I got my email. It says that the letter will come in the mail within the next two weeks

Just received the email with my spot on the waiting list. Now I'm hoping for the best!

Just received the email with my spot on the waiting list. Now I'm hoping for the best!

BChu... what is your waitlist number? Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist in total?

Those who are accepted, what date do you have to accept/decline or pay a deposit?

Thanks!

That's awesome to hear, best of luck! Do you mind posting your stats such as GPA, OAT scores, etc so that others can see what is needed to be on the waiting list in hopes of the next admission cycle for next year. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know the last day we can accept the offer?

That's awesome to hear, best of luck! Do you mind posting your stats such as GPA, OAT scores, etc so that others can see what is needed to be on the waiting list in hopes of the next admission cycle for next year. Thank you in advance!

Yeah no problem. My GPA was 3.55/4.00, 400 TS 380 AA, shadowed and worked at a clinic over span of a year. I haven't asked about my file yet regarding what to improve on, so I don't have that piece of information to provide for you. Even though I'm on the waiting list, I've already began expanding my portfolio for next year so that it's more obvious to them that I am capable and passionate about this. So good luck to you too!

@Teuthras In the threads for the previous cycles, people mentioned 3 weeks. I'm not certain though.

Last edited:
Last year's acceptances went up to and including #10, and i think the year before that it went up to and including #6, and the year before that, it went over 25+ and they had to find people that weren't even on the waitlist.

Last year's acceptances went up to and including #10, and i think the year before that it went up to and including #6, and the year before that, it went over 25+ and they had to find people that weren't even on the waitlist.

Yeah the 25+ seems to be an outlier unfortunately! Thanks for the info

So is everyone waiting for their letters before they accept on quest?

I don't think any advantage/disadvantage. Just wanted to make sure that it doesn't affect you if you accept after you get your letter

ADMITTED!! So excited. Is anyone here from BC?

Reactions: 1 users
after you accept the status should be "intention to matrculate" right?

Admit!!! so excited to meet everyone. Anyone from Edmonton?

Ps. This is my second time applying. I worked my butt off to improve my oat and interview and it paid off. The extra year it gave me felt really productive to work on self-improvement. So to those that are distraught about their results - it's not the end!

Reactions: 1 users