Waterloo 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those whose transcript wasn't updates, I believe waterloo just updated all the transcripts they received this week.

Hi Justcallmetheoptmguy my AIF isn't updated (yet) but it says that my transcript was received... should I be worried that my AIF isn't updated? Also, it says that we have until the 31st to update? (I don't think the inability to update/not will change though before that date).

Members don't see this ad.

We need to update our AIF? what for? Also does it matter that courses that are still in progress don't have a grade on the transcript?

Supersight, Soo does it say 'received' where the date of transcript received should be?

Ladagaga, Most of the universities have updates the final grades so I think you should have changed your grade on AIF, but if it hasn't been updates at you school, then I wouldn't be worried about it if i were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Supersight, Soo does it say 'received' where the date of transcript received should be?

Ladagaga, Most of the universities have updates the final grades so I think you should have changed your grade on AIF, but if it hasn't been updates at you school, then I wouldn't be worried about it if i were you.

Yes, it says received. I have my grades, but the AIF was not editable?

just over a month left before we hear back!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or is it very hard to focus on midterms after the interview

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys. Does anyone happen to know when the school year usually starts for the optometry program? Is there normally an orientation before the start in September?

Hi guys. Does anyone happen to know when the school year usually starts for the optometry program? Is there normally an orientation before the start in September?
I am not 100% sure but i believe that nothing starts until september, orientation included.

Anyone have an idea when acceptance notifications might come out? What has been the trend the past few yrs?

Anyone have an idea when acceptance notifications might come out? What has been the trend the past few yrs?
They said that it would be half way through March. They send out the acceptances on Quest first. After looking around this is what I found.
2014 cycle: March 17
2013 cycle: March 11
2012 cycle: March 8
2011 cycle: March 4
Hopefully though we will get it closer to the beginning of March:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol seems to be getting later and later each yr, looks more like it's going to be the 23rd or something

I know Waterloo has shifted to focusing and putting more emphasis on the applicants' extracurricular/jobs/shadowing and interview more than OAT and GPA, but does anyone on this forum know someone who had decent GPA (3.6) and OAT (360) but got rejected? Thanks

Last edited:
I know Waterloo has shifted to focusing and putting more emphasis on the applicants' extracurricular/jobs/shadowing and interview more than OAT and GPA, but does anyone on this forum know someone who had decent GPA (3.6) and OAT (360) but got rejected? Thanks
Yes, i know a few people with those numbers (3.6 and 360 OAT) that were rejected last year. I think a lot of it has to do with the interview once you've reached that stage of the process. So you better hope the interview went well!

Where did you hear that from?

Well i know a person who got in last year, had worse oat and gpa than another. While the applicant with higher marks was put on the waiting list.

Last edited:
This goes back to my point of having a good interview!!
Yeah, I think having good interview skills could correlate to having better jobs and experiences. It could give you more to talk about, and make you more confident answering the prompts. That's just my opinion though

Since we all seem to be anxious about the impending decision (I mean at least I am and I can't stop thinking about it).... what are people's backup plans in the case that the result is not favourable?

Since we all seem to be anxious about the impending decision (I mean at least I am and I can't stop thinking about it).... what are people's backup plans in the case that the result is not favourable?
Ya thats a tough and tricky decision. Masters's potentially. take year off and work/try and find a related job. not too sure at this point.

we should call admissions and ask when they are meeting up this month cause this suspense doe....

we should call admissions and ask when they are meeting up this month cause this suspense doe....
Suspense is definitely killer; could be this week or two weeks from now. Ever since Sunday I've been spamming Quest.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if accepted, how much we have to pay for deposit to secure our seat? I'm just kind of worried that if it's >$1000, I might have to do a little bit of financial planning...

anyone else?

Hey guys, I am one of the first year optometry students. Hang in there, I was in the same position last year. The results were posted on quest before we got the email. No deposit is required!

Hey guys, I am one of the first year optometry students. Hang in there, I was in the same position last year. The results were posted on quest before we got the email. No deposit is required!
how has your experience been in your first year so far?

how has your experience been in your first year so far?
It has been great, first semester you have a lot of classes that are background like gross anatomy but this semester we have a clinical lab which made it more fun and hands on. Even though it is busy, you have a lot of activities to keep you sane.

If you guys have any questions let me know :) and goodluck!

what have you found to be the most challenging? ie. the courseload, certain courses?

the courseload is not bad for 1st year vs 2nd year. I had no exemptions and I was still fine. I recommend applying for as many exemptions as you can which are generally: immuno, histo, gross anatomy. I wouldn't worry about the courseload if I was you = 6O and Go here.

Well if we ever want to have patients one day, we need to start by practicing having some patience. ;) (LOL I know that was probably cheesy, hopefully the bad pun/joke will relieve some anxiety!)~

the courseload is not bad for 1st year vs 2nd year. I had no exemptions and I was still fine. I recommend applying for as many exemptions as you can which are generally: immuno, histo, gross anatomy. I wouldn't worry about the courseload if I was you = 6O and Go here.
Someones chilling after color vision eh?

haha perhaps.... I heard the admissions committee is meeting this week, so I hope by this coming Monday you guys will find out.
Thx for the insight (no pun intended) :D

my theory is tomorrow morning because Quest says its going down for "Hardware Maintenance from 6 am to 1030 am" maybe thats an excuse to upload the results? haha everyones going insane waiting :diebanana:

my theory is tomorrow morning because Quest says its going down for "Hardware Maintenance from 6 am to 1030 am" maybe thats an excuse to upload the results? haha everyones going insane waiting :diebanana:
I think it's still all too early to be expecting any results within this week. On the important dates calendar for UW optometry, it said that the admission decisions will be made end of March. Also someone has posted historically that the dates have been later and later. But i don't know! It would be freaking incredible to hear it this week https://uwaterloo.ca/optometry-vision-science/future-optometry-students/important-dates

I'm thinking it's probably the 23rd....let's see how good my prediction is, haha. Hang in there everyone, the wait will be soon over!

To be honest, the list is already made but is being finalized from the last time I heard

Reactions: 2 users
The wait is pretty unbearable. I'm curious why it actually is taking this long since there was less people being interviewed this year (from what I've heard so far). Maybe it'll be a bit earlier than late March? I hope everyone gets to hear good news.

When Waterloo came to my uni for 2016 admissions, they put up a table with approximately 300 applicants and 200 interviewed this year (as normal). Last year was actually lower with only around 200 applicants.

where did you hear that from? Does the committee discuss stuff with the OD students?
Nope we just asked out of curiosity since you guys were dying to find out. The committee has been meeting actively since the interview date. Hopefully by next week they will update your status on quest.

PS: Waterloo will not shut down Quest to update status for optom.

Lol you guys, truth to be told, I actually check here first to see if anyone posted that decisions have been out before looking at quest, so I'm going to be relying on you all. :)

Reactions: 5 users