Was always curious... how competitive is it to get into Nuc Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Lemme use the basic ranks...

Where do you think Nuc Med is along that list?

Insane!!) Derm, Ophtho, Integ Plastic Surg

Hard!) Ortho, Neurosurg

Somewhat Challanging!) Radiology, ER

Medium) IM, Neuro

Easy) Psych, Pathology, PMR

Too Easy) Family Med, Pediatrics

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, its somewhere between easy and too easy. It's slowly changing, however. Recent applicants at my residency program were AMG, from top tier schools, as well as a couple of MD/PhD types.

I've heard, but not sure that there are a few combined programss of NUC med + Radiology(1+5, 1 year of transitionsl yr/prelim).
Does any body have any idea where are such prgrams?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can look on FREIDA. Although, its probably better to do a rads residency and then one year nucs fellowship. It takes the same amount of time.

Definately better to do a rads residency first. UNLESS you're staying academic or going large practice. Without rads you're much less dynamic in what you can cover (ED, Call, Consults) and therefore less marketable to groups.

Some large practices have the volume and the capability to absorb a nucs only doc, but they're rare and you'll likely be treated second class because you can't cover the remainder of the practice.

That being said, you could also join a cards group with the same mentality. However I've never known anyone to do so.

-Spooky

Thinking about NM residency after finishing my IM residency. My scores: 99/99/89, FMG, have green card. I was also thinking of applying to radiology residency, but as far as I know hospitals get full reimbursement from medicare for a resident doing his first categorical residency training. Taking into account that rads is so competitive, I guess my chances to get a rads spot after IM residency would be close to zero :(. Any input appreciated!

How many years is the residency?

I am considering transfer to NM. I will finish internship july 2007. I had some interviews already, would you pl. email me at [email protected]? I would like to talk with you for some detailed info regarding NM residency. Appreciate your help and time. Daniel

Thanks Immotep! I really appreciate your advice and opinion about NM. It does go a long way in clarifying things.
Can on work part-time in NM?
and can you work from home or even if you are away at a far away town ?
What would the impact of outsourcing be on the field of NM?

Hi Guys:

Sorry, Ive been away from the forum for a while. Irfan, you can certainly work part time or from home, doing nuc med; but those jobs are not nearly as easy to come by as they are in radiology. Having said that, I personally know of a couple of nuc med people who are doing telenuclearmedicine. They did have to get quite creative to be able to achieve that, however. As for part time jobs they might be a bit easier, as a lot of the small-medium sized hospitals may not have a nucs volume to justify a full time person.

Hope this helps

I am considering transfer to NM. I will finish internship july 2007. I had some interviews already, would you pl. email me at [email protected]? I would like to talk with you for some detailed info regarding NM residency. Appreciate your help and time. Daniel

Can you tell me how to apply for NM? does it participate in match? how can i find out the information of the programs? freida has very few information.

Thanks for the welcome, JGL.

Windcold: Many nuc med programs dont go through the match, you have to contact them directly. You can go to www.careermd.com There is a comprehensive list of all the nuc med residency programs in the country, along with contact info.

I'm PGY1 at the time. Do You think it is wise to finish IM first and start NM residency which is going to be 3+2 years and become double board certified(IM and NN), or seek a position to start in July, 2007, thus doing 1+3years and being pure NM doc. I would prefer to do just NM, but am a little scared about the lack of jobs out there. Any input or advise highly appreciated!!!:thumbup:

Your best best would be to be both IM and NM. At least in the future if whatever happens to NM you still have IM. That's my logic.

Doku

If you have prior training in a clinical specialty (IM,FP, Peds etc), you only need TWO additional years of nuclear medicine. You'd have to be board certified in that specialty, however.

You don't have to be board certified in another clinical specialty in order to do the two year track in NM. You just have to have to have completed a training program, usually IM, but can be Neurology, Peds, surgery, etc. Anything counts, it seems according to the ABNM website.

Don't be fools, guys. Let me say this once and let it sink in:

ABNM stands for American Board of No Marketability :laugh: