WAMC 3.98 cGPA 522 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regularpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

School List:
Baylor
Dell
Southwestern
UTMB
UTH
UTSA
UTEP
A&M
Tech
Rio Grande Valley
TCOM
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Stanford
UCSF
UPenn
Columbia
Duke
WashU in St. Louis
Yale
UCLA
NYU
Vanderbilt
UChicago
Northwestern
Cornell
UCSD
Mayo
Emory
Brown

I think my current list is too top heavy - which schools should I cut and what should I replace them with? I'm also worried about not having enough volunteer hours - what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Add the following:
Albert Einstein
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
NYMC
University of Rochester
Jefferson
University of Maryland
Temple (Lewis Katz)

Your list is a bit top heavy, but given your stats, apply to them. Make sure you add the above schools though...they're a mixture of mid-tiers to mid/top tiers (depending on who you ask and if you religiously believe in us news lol)

Your list is fine. You're going to get into a Texas school, so your other schools should be schools you would leave Texas for that are also schools that feel you would leave Texas for them. You could cut Emory and Brown if you wanted to save money. I don't think you need to apply to the schools Dr. Stalker suggested at all. They will see you as low yield for two reasons (stats and Texas).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're Texan, you really don't need to worry whatsoever about "top heaviness"

Looks like you're already doing the right thing here, which is applying to the Texan system + the handful of elite places that might be worth leaving for

Reactions: 1 users
Your list is fine. You're going to get into a Texas school, so your other schools should be schools you would leave Texas for that are also schools that feel you would leave Texas for them. You could cut Emory and Brown if you wanted to save money. I don't think you need to apply to the schools Dr. Stalker suggested at all. They will see you as low yield for two reasons (stats and Texas).
For what its worth, I had the same stats and similar activities to OP and will be attending one of those schools Dr. Stalker added. Also, your list is super top heavy. I applied to about the same amount and only got two interviews from those top tier schools. PM for details if you want to know any more from me OP.

For what its worth, I had the same stats and similar activities to OP and will be attending one of those schools Dr. Stalker added. Also, your list is super top heavy. I applied to about the same amount and only got two interviews from those top tier schools. PM for details if you want to know any more from me OP.
Were you Texan?

Stony brook is particularly friendly to OOS students and continuously raising their standards and admissions numbers hence that suggestion. Granted, usually 1/3 to 1/4 of a class is OOS.

The other schools are privates that don't discriminate IS/OOS, and they're all phenomenal. I'm sure OP will get into the Texas schools he/she wants, however, these are some alternatives. These schools are all great and would be happy to admit OP.

Stony brook is particularly friendly to OOS students and continuously raising their standards and admissions numbers hence that suggestion. Granted, usually 1/3 to 1/4 of a class is OOS.

The other schools are privates that don't discriminate IS/OOS, and they're all phenomenal. I'm sure OP will get into the Texas schools he/she wants, however, these are some alternatives. These schools are all great and would be happy to admit OP.
It's not about IS/OOS really, it's just about Texas. Those are many of the schools that people should add to their app if they are afraid it's too top heavy and something were to go wrong with their IS schools or they're from somewhere like California. But schools know that Texas is hard to beat.

It's not about IS/OOS really, it's just about Texas. Those are many of the schools that people should add to their app if they are afraid it's too top heavy and something were to go wrong with their IS schools or they're from somewhere like California. But schools know that Texas is hard to beat.
Had no idea about the Texas factor, I was considering it as a regular state. My mistake!

Thanks everyone for the help! Just out of curiosity: what's the reasoning for taking Brown and UCSD out?

Thanks everyone for the help! Just out of curiosity: what's the reasoning for taking Brown and UCSD out?

Brown has an unreasonably low interview rate - you're a shoe-in for texas schools and you'll probably find luck at top 20 schools too. There's no reason to really go to Brown over UTSW or Baylor or Top 20 schools unless you have some burning reason to be in Providence, so applying is essentially a waste of $120 for you. UCSD is similar except instead of the low interview rate, they have a relatively strong in-state bias. If you are going to keep one of them, I would keep UCSD, but I don't think keeping either is necessary. Use that time and money for something else.

Had no idea about the Texas factor, I was considering it as a regular state. My mistake!
It's a mistake many make, Texas is a country. No but seriously OP your chances are good. You have two "upper-tier" schools in Texas that will definitely give you a good look. Your app list looks fantastic. I wouldn't worry applying to schools in the NE (who wants to pay 60-80k a year for medical school anyway?). Texas schools + upper-tier medical schools on your list is the way to go. Good luck

EDIT: Unless you're truly interested in DO I wouldn't bother applying to tcom. save the expenses you'll be using to get a hotel / miss work, etc.