WAMC (3.92 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA, 510 MCAT (128/124/127/131))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOLERs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my scores and my school list. I'm especially worried about my MCAT because of the 124 on CARS. My scores in CARS on my practice exams ranged from 125-131 and were extremely inconsistent. If I had gotten a 124 on any other section, I would retake, no question. But the fact that it's CARS makes me worried on whether I'd be able to improve. I self studied, so clearly I approached CARS incorrectly. I'm just worried that I have a 99 percentile on one section and then a 49 percentile on another, so I'd appreciate some feedback. Overall, I've been told that I should still apply this cycle regardless, but retake if something goes wrong.

Race: ORM
Year in school: Rising senior
Country/state of residence: Florida
Schools to which you are applying:

UF
UMiami
UCF
USF
FSU
FAU
FIU
Albany
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
MCW
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
Drexel
Commonwealth
Indiana
Ohio State

Some more schools would be greatly appreciated. I was wondering how broadly I should apply, and whether I should include more lower tier schools.
Cumulative GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.86
MCAT Scores: 510 (128/124/127/131)
Research: ~300 hours neuro science research, ~80 hours derm research with 1 publication
Volunteering (clinical): 50 hours at an ER, 40 hours at a family waiting room
Physician shadowing: 90 hours in GI, 40 hours in urology, 100 hours in family medicine
Non-clinical volunteering: 80 hours at a local preschool, ; 40 hours with a service group; 20 hours working with a program aimed at providing underprivileged kids with science experiments
Extracurricular activities: Member of two pre-med clubs ; workshop leader for biology classes; mentor for our Pre-Health office; class proctor and potential tutor for a biochem class; I also really enjoy fishing
Personal Statement: Really happy with my personal statement, I've spent a lot of time on it and have had plenty of feedback that's mainly been positive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your best chances are your Florida schools. If you want to add more schools you could add NYMC, Temple, Jefferson and Oakland Beaumont.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your best chances are your Florida schools. If you want to add more schools you could add NYMC, Temple, Jefferson and Oakland Beaumont.

What's your opinion on my MCAT? Should I retake it? Or just roll with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to retake the MCAT. 510 is competitive for all the Florida schools (except Miami) and many of the OOS schools you are applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need to retake the MCAT. 510 is competitive for all the Florida schools (except Miami) and many of the OOS schools you are applying to.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Do you think I should worry about getting screened out with the 124 in CARS?

Sorry to bother you again, but should I consider applying to some DO as well? I've been hearing differing points of views. Thanks!

I've posted on several threads about this: I had a similar imbalance in my MCAT (132,124,132,128) and was accepted to 3 schools. My GPA was much lower than yours as well. You never know what your file reviewer will think about your application. Your EC's and publication should land you several interviews IMO, so don't fret the 124.