Waitlisted at 4 schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardust379

Live what you love.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been gone from SDN for quite a while because I have honestly just felt pretty depressed about myself and my capabilities lately. I had 5 interviews - one rejection and FOUR waitlists. Schools I am waitlisted at are: MUCOM, ACOM, UIWSOM, and ATSU-SOMA. Not a single acceptance.

At this point, I'm updating schools with any updates I have and writing letters of intent and interest. Just wondering if there are any tips out there for people who have been waitlisted and got accepted eventually. What did you do? Also, if there is anyone else out there with the similar situation - multiple interviews and only waitlists - please message me or give me any advice here. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal rule of thumb is that you should get 1 acceptance per 3 interviews or you're interviewing wrong.

At this point I would just continue to show interest. Some schools might consider it a nuisance while others might like it. You won't know until they accept you.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you checked the school-specific threads to make sure the classes weren't already full?

How do you feel like your interviews were? Maybe you need to improve and reflect on those skills

I've been waitlisted 2/3 schools, I will find out tomorrow about the 3rd one. I think I would just try not to panic (I know that's the hard part) and give it time until May when the waitlist starts moving. I'm assuming that some people are holding multiple acceptances so it may work in our favor closer to the summer.

Hey guys,

I have been gone from SDN for quite a while because I have honestly just felt pretty depressed about myself and my capabilities lately. I had 5 interviews - one rejection and FOUR waitlists. Schools I am waitlisted at are: MUCOM, ACOM, UIWSOM, and ATSU-SOMA. Not a single acceptance.

At this point, I'm updating schools with any updates I have and writing letters of intent and interest. Just wondering if there are any tips out there for people who have been waitlisted and got accepted eventually. What did you do? Also, if there is anyone else out there with the similar situation - multiple interviews and only waitlists - please message me or give me any advice here. Thank you! :)

Please don't be the person that writes a letter of intent to EVERY school you are waitlisted at.

This is the reason why ADCOMs don't take them seriously. It's very distasteful. Pick the school that you felt most excited about and write them a meaningful letter of intent.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

It seems like your stats are good because you got 5 interviews. Maybe you need to improve your interviewing skills. What is you Lizzy score if you don't mind.

Patience is a virtue!!!

There's nothing you can do to get off the wait list, short of sending in a transcript of all good grades from last or this semester, or a large donation check.

Hey guys,

Reactions: 1 users
Patience is a virtue!!!

There's nothing you can do to get off the wait list, short of sending in a transcript of all good grades from last or this semester, or a large donation check.

How large we talk in'? ;)

Also @Goro has anyone you've seen ever tried??? Like have you heard of a real case at your school or any others before?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How large we talk in'? ;)

Also @Goro has anyone you've seen ever tried??? Like have you heard of a real case at your school or any others before?
I think I remember Goro saying it would have to be in the six-figure range at least. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't be the person that writes a letter of intent to EVERY school you are waitlisted at.

This is the reason why ADCOMs don't take them seriously. It's very distasteful. Pick the school that you felt most excited about and write them a meaningful letter of intent.

Haha yeah which is why I said letters of intent and interest. I plan on writing one letter of intent and letters of interest to the rest

My personal rule of thumb is that you should get 1 acceptance per 3 interviews or you're interviewing wrong.

At this point I would just continue to show interest. Some schools might consider it a nuisance while others might like it. You won't know until they accept you.
I've been in touch with the schools! So far, it doesn't seem like they take it as a nuisance but who knows. I'll keep trying. Thank you!

How do you feel like your interviews were? Maybe you need to improve and reflect on those skills
I felt like my interviews went fine overall. Obviously they could've gone a little better, but I didn't think they killed my chances. Only one interview I felt went terrible and that was MUCOM, but I got waitlisted instead of rejected so somewhat a pleasant surprise haha

Why were you rejected? Did you ask them?

As far as the other schools, when did you interview? If you interviewed in late Jan-Feb, this really shouldn't be that big of a surprise, because most classes are >75% full by then. I also wouldn't worry much about it, because schools don't really start to pull off of their waitlists for another 1-2 mos. These are mostly new schools with decent waitlist movement.

Does MUCOM still tell you what quartile you are on the waitlist? If so, what did it say?

When did you apply? Were you late applying?

There's really not much else you can do at this point. I wouldn't worry, and I'd just wait it out. You aren't in a bad spot, because like I said, the programs you are waitlisted at tend to have good movement. I agree with the previous poster that you should check out the school specific threads, as they can give you a lot of insight into waitlist movement.

You can also make a plan for your reapplication next cycle, which is coming up in a few months. Make sure you have everything ready to be on the first day and try your best to have extra-curriculars you can add if you won't have any other significant change. I would recommend a rewrite to your PS, with many people you trust reviewing it, and maybe interview training before your next interviews if you don't get in off the waitlists.

P

Not true! I had 7 interviews with 4 rejections, 2 waitlists, and 1 acceptance and no one interviews better than Peachy Newp, no one.

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted off the MUCOM waitlist a few years ago. I think they have decent waitlist movement. I also wrote a them a letter fwiw. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. I would say your chances of being accepted somewhere are pretty good with 4 waitlists though.

This depends greatly on when you interview in the cycle. If you interview in October and get three waitlists then maybe you're doing something wrong. If you're interviewing in January and get three waitlists they might just not have much space left over

P

Not true! I had 7 interviews with 4 rejections, 2 waitlists, and 1 acceptance and no one interviews better than Peachy Newp, no one.
Haha, wow congratulations! I think lots of things factor in, like how the schools view your contribution to its mission, how you'd fit in to the environment, etc. I got rejected from one straight off the bat and I think that is why. All it takes is one acceptance so I am hoping and praying for one.

I was accepted off the MUCOM waitlist a few years ago. I think they have decent waitlist movement. I also wrote a them a letter fwiw. Don't know if it helped but it didn't hurt. I would say your chances of being accepted somewhere are pretty good with 4 waitlists though.
Ooh, few years late, but congrats! Do you think your interview at MUCOM went really well? Worried about MUCOM because one of my short MMIs did not go too well... so a little worried I'm like at the bottom of the waitlist but really hope not. Haha. Ahh I hope I get in! Many have been telling me the same, that I've got good odds, but it's taking such a toll on my nerves!!

Why were you rejected? Did you ask them?

As far as the other schools, when did you interview? If you interviewed in late Jan-Feb, this really shouldn't be that big of a surprise, because most classes are >75% full by then. I also wouldn't worry much about it, because schools don't really start to pull off of their waitlists for another 1-2 mos. These are mostly new schools with decent waitlist movement.

Does MUCOM still tell you what quartile you are on the waitlist? If so, what did it say?

When did you apply? Were you late applying?

There's really not much else you can do at this point. I wouldn't worry, and I'd just wait it out. You aren't in a bad spot, because like I said, the programs you are waitlisted at tend to have good movement. I agree with the previous poster that you should check out the school specific threads, as they can give you a lot of insight into waitlist movement.

You can also make a plan for your reapplication next cycle, which is coming up in a few months. Make sure you have everything ready to be on the first day and try your best to have extra-curriculars you can add if you won't have any other significant change. I would recommend a rewrite to your PS, with many people you trust reviewing it, and maybe interview training before your next interviews if you don't get in off the waitlists.

So I was rejected from BCOM. I emailed and asked why, but the admissions person told me I would have to contact them at the end of their cycle to find out why. I might do that.

Nah, I interviewed early on. September, October. So it might've been just me, although I didn't think my interviews went terribly (minus one). I think my numbers have a role in it. My GPA is underdog status, so maybe when they were comparing me to applicants with higher stats, they weren't so convinced about me at that moment.

MUCOM did not tell me. I asked about a month ago and they did not disclose. They told me possibly at the end of the cycle, they'd be willing to disclose that info. So did ATSU-SOMA.

Yeah, I think I'm just waiting it out for now and going to keep reemphasizing my interest in the schools. Hopefully I won't be too annoying, but I would say I'll try to email here and there and call just to see what the movement was looking like.

True, I will definitely review my PS and interviewing skills to prepare for the worst case scenario. Thanks a bunch for your words of advice :)

Ooh, few years late, but congrats! Do you think your interview at MUCOM went really well? Worried about MUCOM because one of my short MMIs did not go too well... so a little worried I'm like at the bottom of the waitlist but really hope not. Haha. Ahh I hope I get in! Many have been telling me the same, that I've got good odds, but it's taking such a toll on my nerves!!
I thought my MUCOM interview was my worst interview.

Hey guys,

Well, by May 5th or whatever date applicants must decide where they go you will likely hear back from those schools at the latest. With 4 waitlists I think the odds are greatly in your favor IMO

Agree. I suspect you will get in somewhere. Patience is key, as hard as it is.

I went to 6 interviews. 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists. So you're not alone in the waiting game.

Well, by May 5th or whatever date applicants must decide where they go you will likely hear back from those schools at the latest. With 4 waitlists I think the odds are greatly in your favor IMO
Thank you! I do hope you're right. The waiting is just awful haha

Agree. I suspect you will get in somewhere. Patience is key, as hard as it is.
Thank you so much. I really hope I do get in... wouldn't ask for anything else in the world if I got in D:

I went to 6 interviews. 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists. So you're not alone in the waiting game.
Wow this definitely makes me feel like I'm not alone. Was that acceptance from a waitlist or straight off the bat?

Wow this definitely makes me feel like I'm not alone. Was that acceptance from a waitlist or straight off the bat?
Can you share from experience some tips about interview. I hope you are accepted at one of the place.

Stardust this is probably a dumb question but you applied last cycle right? Not the cycle currently going on