Waitlist Thread MD 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabulous7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us with zero acceptances, one heavy soul, less money than a year ago, and waning hope for the future, who are in need of a little support from our comrades... because I don't think a thread exists for us yet?

:hurting::hungover::blackeye::yuck: four waitlists. zero acceptances. what am i to do? :barf:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Currently waitlisted at Buffalo, Rochester, Downstate and waiting to hear back from Einstein still.

Reactions: 3 users
Same boat op: 4 waitlists 0 acceptances. Heres to May 1st being the day

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
similar hopelessness as each day passes...5 waitlists, 1 pending.

2 waitlists, how nervous do we get if we don't hear anything May 1? I'm guessing not very nervous. What about by June 1?

4 MD waitlists for me!

Thankfully already in at my top choice DO school, but hopeful for MD.

Reactions: 5 users
I have 4 waitlists, all from NY schools (Buffalo, Downstate, Stony Brook, and Hofstra) and I'm instate. Where's the love?

5 waitlists, 0 acceptances (My fault. I applied late. Non-trad. Was never a pre-med). I'm already studying to re-take the MCAT in June, found 2 potential jobs in the interim of re-applying, and started 2 more competitive ECs. This whole process is expensive, blows, and is largely fake as hell.

Reactions: 11 users
5 waitlists, 0 acceptances (My fault. I applied late. Non-trad. Was never a pre-med). I'm already studying to re-take the MCAT in June, found 2 potential jobs in the interim of re-applying, and started 2 more competitive ECs. This whole process is expensive, blows, and is largely fake as hell.

What do you mean by fake?

What do you mean by fake?
I'll put it in this context: I know several pre-meds with not one altruistic bone in their body (quite the opposite actually), who just did certain ECs because they look good on an application.

Reactions: 8 users
2 waitlists :(

Just started a new job and told them I didn't get in anywhere, thus leaving me available for the next 1+ years. My conscience doesn't want me to get in but I certainly do.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ok everyone! Traffic day is coming! LOTS of spots should open up immediately.

Reactions: 2 users
Not a very successful cycle; only had one interview and ended up being waitlisted. :cryi:

3 interviews, 3 waitlists :eek:

Same boat op: 4 waitlists 0 acceptances. Heres to May 1st being the day
2 waitlists, how nervous do we get if we don't hear anything May 1? I'm guessing not very nervous. What about by June 1?
It's ok everyone! Traffic day is coming! LOTS of spots should open up immediately.
Most schools have offered not only a sufficient number of acceptances to fill the number of available seats (as required by the AAMC), but a sufficient number to accommodate the withdrawals that are likely to occur on traffic day. Especially confident schools will have accommodated enough to last until much later.

Reactions: 1 users
Darn... Looks like I should have lower expectations for movement next month :(

Most schools have offered not only a sufficient number of acceptances to fill the number of available seats (as required by the AAMC), but a sufficient number to accommodate the withdrawals that are likely to occur on traffic day. Especially confident schools will have accommodated enough to last until much later.

I'm just hoping to moderate expectations for traffic day...

I appreciate it! It didn't occur to me that schools would have a sort of buffer for traffic day movement - good to know.

Thanks for making this thread. Sitting on 2 waitlists, 0 acceptances, 2nd application cycle. Hang in there everyone :xf:

Improvement from the first time around?

Hey! Yes, it's been an incredible improvement. First cycle, received zero interviews. To receive four opportunities this cycle has been awesome. Hoping for an acceptance, still...we shall see. It's such a long road. How are things goin for you?

Just to offer some hope: I was also on 4 WLs this time last year. Come mid-May, I was fortunate enough to be making a decision between two schools. So best of luck!

Reactions: 16 users
Hey! Yes, it's been an incredible improvement. First cycle, received zero interviews. To receive four opportunities this cycle has been awesome. Hoping for an acceptance, still...we shall see. It's such a long road. How are things goin for you?
Also 2 waitlists. It's my first cycle though, glad to see you improved as a reapplicant: gives me hope!

Last edited:
3 II and 3 waitlist as well keeping fingers crossed but also searching for a gap year job lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

4 interviews 2 waitlist (these schools don't have an HPA list only regular waitlists), 1 high priority acceptance list, and didn't hear back from the last one. Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should do?

Gonna join you all here: 2 interviews, 2 waitlists...not feeling great about my chances.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone here is on the SUNY upstate HPA or Waitlist, can you please fill out the poll I created on this thread (Upstate 2016-2017 HPA and waitlist). Also any information you can provide about the upstate HPA would be greatly appreciated since upstate itself isn't very forthcoming.

4 Waitlists! At this point I'm not even picky just show me love

The first business day after April 30. The day by which those holding multiple acceptances must reduce to one.

Any traffic day info for DO schools?

4 interviews...2 waitlists, 1 high priority waitlist, and 1 interview next week.
hoping for some good luck in the coming months for all of us!

2 interviews, 2 waitlists and my MCAT expires this year. Looking for some cool work for the potential upcoming gap year

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm pulling for all of you. I know that waitlist game is no fun!

Reactions: 14 users
Currently on 1 MD waitlist at my state school. Any advice on how to get off??

Also, my interviewer asked me if I already had any acceptances from a medical school. I said yes but did not elaborate and she didn't ask from which schools. I currently have a DO acceptance so it's not a lie but I'm worried that she might think that I lied because they can now see if I've been accepted to any MD schools. Is this bad??

Help ease my mind. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Exact same boat as you
What are your plans for the coming year(s)? I figured I need to take two years, since I work 50+ hours/week I need at least 6 months to study for the MCAT. Looking into the Peace corps for two years starting in ~January after my postbac fellowship ends.

What are your plans for the coming year(s)? I figured I need to take two years, since I work 50+ hours/week I need at least 6 months to study for the MCAT. Looking into the Peace corps for two years starting in ~January after my postbac fellowship ends.
I'm already working 40hrs/wk now so I figure I can schedule a late June/early July MCAT and get enough time to study by then. It's going to be tough to balance work and the MCAT so hopefully we both get in this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a LM of 79 and had a lot of success with research. First author paper, national fellowships, national conferences etc. Only possible conclusion: I must have an awful personality lol.

I'm already working 40hrs/wk now so I figure I can schedule a late June/early July MCAT and get enough time to study by then. It's going to be tough to balance work and the MCAT so hopefully we both get in this cycle.

It's weird, on the one hand I would be very happy to get in this cycle, but on the other hand I'm also really excited to improve my application and reapply in a couple years with new experiences, all the publications that I didn't have when I first applied, better MCAT (although it definitely wasn't holding me back this cycle), etc. and interview at even better schools.