Waitlist c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had no idea that some schools waited so long to send out decisions/financial aid/information!
For my schools, I've known my status since the first week in March (but I also had interviews WAY back in January/February). Sorry if I offended any of y'all! I was just asking a question based on my experience where decisions were made a month and half ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I had no idea that some schools waited so long to send out decisions/financial aid/information!
For my schools, I've known my status since the first week in March (but I also had interviews WAY back in January/February). Sorry if I offended any of y'all! I was just asking a question based on my experience where decisions were made a month and half ago.
No problem, I knew decisions from several of my schools since the first week of March of Before, I had two though that were later. Mizzou in the past was always around the Monday of our Spring break so March 22ndish, but this year we didn't find out until April 3rd. And they interview from February 10-March 10th.

Does anyone have any information on how the CSU OOS waitlist moves/when they start calling? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the U of I waitlist for instate and I've emailed twice for an application review (may be pessimistic but I'm preparing for next round) they won't do a review until waitlist invites go out; just fyi to my fellow waitlisters

Reactions: 1 users
Received an acceptance call from Iowa this afternoon! :D

Reactions: 27 users
I think my issue with the decision process is that a lot of these topics could of been thought about before the application. Logistics and finances should of been a conversation you had before you even applied to the school or at most, before you interviewed. If you didn't come to the conclusion that the school and city in which it resides is enough to support your life and goals, why did you continue the process for that specific school? In the end, the schools you are waiting to say yes to should be schools that could 100% support you and that conclusion should of been made way before hand.

Now, don't take don't this as me criticizing people for waiting because i'm not. People have the right to wait to give their decision, as you stated. I just think this excuse of "well it's an important decision to make" is a bit of a stretch because as I said, they should of decided that before applying. If they didn't know about these types of things 3 months ago they should of done more research.

For the people that have multiple schools that completely satisfy all requirements for life, I can see waiting until the last second. That's more of a choice of preference and not a matter of logistics though.

I guess my rant just boils down to the point that they shouldn't be making life choices hours before it's required. They should of had the knowledge to make the choice before..and waiting isn't really going to help. Not really frustrated over waiting, more just confused on why people would put such a huge decision off until now instead of having the knowledge to make it months ago.
I completely understand how you are feeling. For me, when I was accepted I entered a euphoria almost immediately. It wasn't until two weeks later that I really started questioning whether or not it was the right decision for me. I was gonna be an OOS student, leaving behind all of my old friends before I actually even graduated, and 5 hours away from my family- should I take the offer or reapply next year to my IS and take the time to figure my life out?

I'm super excited to enter class of 2021, but I think giving applicants until a set date (even if it is months after hearing) gives a chance for the dust to settle, especially the students who got accepted OOS and rejected IS. It really is a hard decision to basically sign yourself away to over double the tuition, twice the loans. I really appreciated having the time to actually think about if it was the right decision for me.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone gotten off the virginia OOS list?

Hello to all my fellow waitlisters! Just wanted to get a waitlist thread started because the one from c/o 2020 had a lot of good information! Also its a place where we can suffer together :happy:
anyone heard from the Missouri wait list or know how it works? they told me it's not ranked and that they need an immediate reply if contacted.

anyone heard from the Missouri wait list or know how it works? they told me it's not ranked and that they need an immediate reply if contacted.
Are you Instate or out of state for Missouri?
I'm instate and this year they ranked us, but in state waitlisters should start hearing this Wednesday according to Kathy, as for out of state I can't help you there. As far as I know they will first call then email, and if no answer is received in a timely manner then they will move on, but I am not completely sure.

I just want to make a comment on some of the posts about waiting until the last minute to make our final choice. This was my first (and final) application cycle. I only applied to schools I would attend, and was blessed with offers. While I had a top choice at the beginning, I actually fell in love with all of the schools during the process. In learning more about each program (interviews and acceptance days were critical for me as websites and basic research did not contribute much in comparison to what I learned when visiting each school), I felt more and more torn as to where I would go. I was also offered generous scholarships from most of the schools I was considering, making cost somewhat negligible across the line. I ended up receiving significant scholarships up until Friday (4/14, a few days before the 4/17 deadline). Each day I thought I would attend a different school. I worked hard to get to this point and honestly would have been happy choosing any of the programs. But I was not ready to make my final choice until the end.

What I am trying to say is that I had my initial list of priorities, but this list was quickly altered as I worked with people (admissions, students, deans, etc.) at different schools. I honestly have to say that the most difficult part in this process was choosing ONE school. I might have chosen a different school if the deadline had been next week!

I did make my final choice. I also sent in all of my declines by the deadline. And I am always extremely happy whenever I see people getting into a program (especially at this stage!).

I hope this brings some clarity to why some of us (or at least me!) may have waited until this weekend or today to make our final choice.

I'm looking forward to being your colleague in this wonderful profession! :cat:

Reactions: 18 users
I just want to make a comment on some of the posts about waiting until the last minute to make our final choice. This was my first (and final) application cycle. I only applied to schools I would attend, and was blessed with offers. While I had a top choice at the beginning, I actually fell in love with all of the schools during the process. In learning more about each program (interviews and acceptance days were critical for me as websites and basic research did not contribute much in comparison to what I learned when visiting each school), I felt more and more torn as to where I would go. I was also offered generous scholarships from most of the schools I was considering, making cost somewhat negligible across the line. I ended up receiving significant scholarships up until Friday (4/14, a few days before the 4/17 deadline). Each day I thought I would attend a different school. I worked hard to get to this point and honestly would have been happy choosing any of the programs. But I was not ready to make my final choice until the end.

What I am trying to say is that I had my initial list of priorities, but this list was quickly altered as I worked with people (admissions, students, deans, etc.) at different schools. I honestly have to say that the most difficult part in this process was choosing ONE school. I might have chosen a different school if the deadline had been next week!

I did make my final choice. I also sent in all of my declines by the deadline. And I am always extremely happy whenever I see people getting into a program (especially at this stage!).

I hope this brings some clarity to why some of us (or at least me!) may have waited until this weekend or today to make our final choice.

So did I.! I waited until the last minute and I only had two schools to choose from but the way I was freaking out you would have thought it was 10.! It's a huge decision and unlike undergrad, you can't transfer if you're unhappy. Sometimes you have to be a little selfish and make sure you're doing what's right for you. Because you cant take it back. If everyone waited until the last minute, it wouldn't matter for those waitlisted it doesn't give you a better chance of getting in or not, just May quicken how fast you are notified. Whether we accepted the first or the last day, it wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: 2 users
Waiting for Western U here! The initial email said they will start making decisions on the alternates on 4/22....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now, don't take don't this as me criticizing people for waiting because i'm not. People have the right to wait to give their decision, as you stated. I just think this excuse of "well it's an important decision to make" is a bit of a stretch because as I said, they should of decided that before applying. If they didn't know about these types of things 3 months ago they should of done more research.

For the people that have multiple schools that completely satisfy all requirements for life, I can see waiting until the la
I guess my rant just boils down to the point that they shouldn't be making life choices hours before it's required. They should of had the knowledge to make the choice before..and waiting isn't really going to help. Not really frustrated over waiting, more just confused on why people would put such a huge decision off until now instead of having the knowledge to make it months ago.

The thing is, people lives change between September and April. 2020 was my third cycle and in that 7 month time, I broke up with my (then) love of my life (because of problems he had with vet school complicating our future) and I fell in love with the job I had at the time. It was a career I could see having the rest of my life.

After my acceptance (my only acceptance), I was still questioning if I would go through with it after all the major life changes. I was going to be OOS, 14 hours away from everything I knew, freshly single after talking marriage and kids, and had found a new calling in case third time wasn't the charm.

I had meticulously picked my schools. I picked schools my then boyfriend could work around; which ones had best cost of living; which fit my life style; and so much more. I had a binder filled with research. And yet, with acceptance letter in hand, I hesitated with my one acceptance. I can only imagine what I would have felt had I been accepted to more than one or just my IS.

You can be as prepared as Scar with Nazi hyenas, but 7 months is a lot of time for your life to take a 180.

Sometimes you have to be a little selfish and make sure you're doing what's right for you. Because you cant take it back. If everyone waited until the last minute, it wouldn't matter for those waitlisted it doesn't give you a better chance of getting in or not, just May quicken how fast you are notified. Whether we accepted the first or the last day, it wouldn't make a difference.

It's totes not even selfish. Like you said, it doesn't make a difference in the end.

Reactions: 11 users

Congrats on the decision!! Where did you end up going? (sorry if this was posted elsewhere)

Also, you could be like me where I accepted the offer to a school back in January, and it says so on my portal. However, I got a call today reminding me of the deadline to accept the school I already accepted. I was like um what, so there must have been a glitch on their end because it showed me as on the offered admission list rather than accepted list. The person I talked to said it was good I got the call, because otherwise I would have ended up on the declined list at midnight!!! :eek:

Congrats on the decision!! Where did you end up going? (sorry if this was posted elsewhere)

Well, I haven't "officially" posted it anywhere. But I might as well :). UC Davis SVM Class of 2021!!! Yayayay!!!
:highfive::cat::biglove::claps::love::banana::clap::soexcited::cat::soexcited::clap::banana::love::claps::biglove::cat::highfive:

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
I think my issue with the decision process is that a lot of these topics could of been thought about before the application. Logistics and finances should of been a conversation you had before you even applied to the school or at most, before you interviewed. If you didn't come to the conclusion that the school and city in which it resides is enough to support your life and goals, why did you continue the process for that specific school? In the end, the schools you are waiting to say yes to should be schools that could 100% support you and that conclusion should of been made way before hand.

For the people that have multiple schools that completely satisfy all requirements for life, I can see waiting until the last second. That's more of a choice of preference and not a matter of logistics though.

I don't entirely disagree; obviously, it is best that applicants go into the process having made informed decisions and knowing that there may be certain factors that they need to consider in choosing where they'd realistically go if they're accepted.

But from September to August, the entire VMCAS cycle, is 7 months. That's a fairly long time---long enough for life to happen and throw some things your way. @batsenecal mentioned her story, and I personally know not one but two applicants who had immediate family members die during the cycle, which completely mottled up their plans. I know one who found a boyfriend and eventual fiance during the cycle who wanted to come to school with her so she then had to accommodate that and figure out where he would most realistically be able to hold down a job in his particular field to be able to support living expenses so that her debt would be less (which is a smart thing to do, but obviously it complicates things slightly in the moment) and she took pretty much until the last day researching things to make the decision that she did.

For some applicants, myself included, it is an easy decision... or, at least, it is made to be easy. I applied to 4 schools, but as soon as I found out that I was going to be able to qualify for IS tuition at Iowa State and that that would be my least expensive option, I did my damnedest to knock my supplemental questions and interview out of the park. Thankfully, I was accepted and I was immediately ready to jump on it and pay the deposit. But even after putting that down and securing my spot, I really reconsidered whether or not I wanted it. While my vet school debt is going to be on the "low" (pfft) end, I left undergrad with a decent chunk of undergrad debt that is going to inflate my original estimate of just over $150k worth of debt to over $200k. Even now, in vet school, I still have second thoughts regularly.

But it isn't that easy for everyone.

You can do all of the planning in the world and pick the schools you apply to meticulously, but there is still a human element to it that comes into play at the end of it all. It might take some people having the acceptance letter in hand or, be it as it may, inbox, or even financial aid packets with estimates for things to really sink in. Especially if they are accepted to multiple schools and/or they are a repeat applicant debating whether or not they want to take the expensive OOS acceptance, apply again for IS, or just call it quits altogether and pursue something else. There are some important considerations that go into placing a deposit and accepting a seat and things can and do change during the 7 months of the cycle and even after. Between that, and the fact that not all schools put out decisions at the same time and there is huge variation in that (for example, Midwestern does rolling admissions, so some applicants who get their VMCAS in very early could know as early as late September or early October while some schools such as Mizzou and OkSU put out their IS decisions in late March or early April; most schools are in between), the only way to make the decision-making process fair for all applicants is to allow them up until the deadline to make their decision as to whether they want to choose to accept or not. It sucks for the waitlisters, no doubt about it, but the alternative is that there is no deadline and applicants feel compelled to spend an absolutely enormous amount of money in deposits at all the schools they were accepted at in order to secure a seat before they're all filled. We saw what might happen in such a situation with what occurred with the c/o 2018 cycle at LMU where the class was "full" by February and a lot of applicants who were banking on having until April to make the decision on their acceptance to the school, mostly because there were still many schools who hadn't put out their own admissions decisions, were apparently SOL. Fortunately, the issue was resolved and all acceptances put out by the school were honored. That's the main reason that the April agreement between the schools, VMCAS, and AAVMC exists: to allow for applicants who have been accepted to consider all of the factors, wait for decisions from other schools that put them out later in the cycle, and allow some time for things to settle before they make a massive decision that is going to impact the entire rest of their life without having to worry about feeling coerced or pressured into unnecessarily spending money placing deposits down at multiple schools just to secure spots.

Applicants do have the right to wait until the very last day of the cycle to choose if they want to. It might be because they're just procrastinating, yes. Or it could be because they're waiting to save up the money for the deposit (they are expensive...), or that they have multiple offers and want to have time to truly consider everything and ruminate over it, or they could be continuing to receive scholarship packages from multiple schools, as @bombai brought up. Or they could have had something go upside down in real life that is now impacting how they will make their vet school decisions or even if they will choose to attend at all. Or it could just not matter because they do have the right to wait and hold onto the admissions decision until then regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
I don't entirely disagree; obviously, it is best that applicants go into the process having made informed decisions and knowing that there may be certain factors that they need to consider in choosing where they'd realistically go if they're accepted.

But from September to August, the entire VMCAS cycle, is 7 months. That's a fairly long time---long enough for life to happen and throw some things your way. @batsenecal mentioned her story, and I personally know not one but two applicants who had immediate family members die during the cycle, which completely mottled up their plans. I know one who found a boyfriend and eventual fiance during the cycle who wanted to come to school with her so she then had to accommodate that and figure out where he would most realistically be able to hold down a job in his particular field to be able to support living expenses so that her debt would be less (which is a smart thing to do, but obviously it complicates things slightly in the moment) and she took pretty much until the last day researching things to make the decision that she did.

For some applicants, myself included, it is an easy decision... or, at least, it is made to be easy. I applied to 4 schools, but as soon as I found out that I was going to be able to qualify for IS tuition at Iowa State and that that would be my least expensive option, I did my damnedest to knock my supplemental questions and interview out of the park. Thankfully, I was accepted and I was immediately ready to jump on it and pay the deposit. But even after putting that down and securing my spot, I really reconsidered whether or not I wanted it. While my vet school debt is going to be on the "low" (pfft) end, I left undergrad with a decent chunk of undergrad debt that is going to inflate my original estimate of just over $150k worth of debt to over $200k. Even now, in vet school, I still have second thoughts regularly.

But it isn't that easy for everyone.

You can do all of the planning in the world and pick the schools you apply to meticulously, but there is still a human element to it that comes into play at the end of it all. It might take some people having the acceptance letter in hand or, be it as it may, inbox, or even financial aid packets with estimates for things to really sink in. Especially if they are accepted to multiple schools and/or they are a repeat applicant debating whether or not they want to take the expensive OOS acceptance, apply again for IS, or just call it quits altogether and pursue something else. There are some important considerations that go into placing a deposit and accepting a seat and things can and do change during the 7 months of the cycle and even after. Between that, and the fact that not all schools put out decisions at the same time and there is huge variation in that (for example, Midwestern does rolling admissions, so some applicants who get their VMCAS in very early could know as early as late September or early October while some schools such as Mizzou and OkSU put out their IS decisions in late March or early April; most schools are in between), the only way to make the decision-making process fair for all applicants is to allow them up until the deadline to make their decision as to whether they want to choose to accept or not. It sucks for the waitlisters, no doubt about it, but the alternative is that there is no deadline and applicants feel compelled to spend an absolutely enormous amount of money in deposits at all the schools they were accepted at in order to secure a seat before they're all filled. We saw what might happen in such a situation with what occurred with the c/o 2018 cycle at LMU where the class was "full" by February and a lot of applicants who were banking on having until April to make the decision on their acceptance to the school, mostly because there were still many schools who hadn't put out their own admissions decisions, were apparently SOL. Fortunately, the issue was resolved and all acceptances put out by the school were honored. That's the main reason that the April agreement between the schools, VMCAS, and AAVMC exists: to allow for applicants who have been accepted to consider all of the factors, wait for decisions from other schools that put them out later in the cycle, and allow some time for things to settle before they make a massive decision that is going to impact the entire rest of their life without having to worry about feeling coerced or pressured into unnecessarily spending money placing deposits down at multiple schools just to secure spots.

Applicants do have the right to wait until the very last day of the cycle to choose if they want to. It might be because they're just procrastinating, yes. Or it could be because they're waiting to save up the money for the deposit (they are expensive...), or that they have multiple offers and want to have time to truly consider everything and ruminate over it, or they could be continuing to receive scholarship packages from multiple schools, as @bombai brought up. Or they could have had something go upside down in real life that is now impacting how they will make their vet school decisions or even if they will choose to attend at all. Or it could just not matter because they do have the right to wait and hold onto the admissions decision until then regardless.

100% this. Well said. I knew where I was going if given the option from the beginning and it didn't really change during the process. However, when I suddenly had more than one option there in front of me, there was a part of me that was a little overwhelmed. Ultimately, I didn't change my decision, but I can see where it could be a huge decision for some people, especially if a lot of things are equal. I had several friends who struggled to decide. Basically, my thought process is that there is a deadline for a reason. It doesn't matter if it's April 17th or February 8th or June 1st...whatever. If you wanted to wait and make the decision until 4:50pm on the 17th, that's totally your choice. It doesn't change the outcome for the waitlist. It seems like a lot of schools don't start going down the waitlist until after the deadline anyway.

Does KSU rank applicants on the waitlist??

Just got a call from Oklahoma but will be giving up my OOS spot! Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone on the A&M waitlist?? I am & haven't heard anything yet.

Just offered a spot at Virginia-Maryland!!!!! Vet school here I come! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 22 users
Received the call this morning from the University of Florida. I'm going to be a Gator! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 20 users
Does anyone have any information on how the CSU OOS waitlist moves/when they start calling? :)
I am also anxiously waiting to hear from csu. I called a few days ago and was told that they will start making their second round of offers a few days after the decision date. Has anyone received any news from them?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from Purdue, the class is full already. Guess I'll be re-applying this summer

Got off the CSU waitlist today

Reactions: 15 users
Slowpoke.jpg
EXCUSE YOU.
tumblr_m8cn85Yfqo1rzryiwo1_500.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard from Washington yet? The suspense is killing me.

Has anyone heard from Ohio State? Trying so hard to be patient but it is not going very well.

It's totes not even selfish. Like you said, it doesn't make a difference in the end.

I see what your saying, but I disagree. It does make a difference in the end to those waitlisted then accepted people. Earlier acceptance means more time to know to save up for that expensive deposit, more time to find suitable housing (especially if the student has a pet, pet friendly house hunting sucks). Earlier acceptance gives that student more time to evaluate what they want and if that is the school they want to attend. Earlier acceptance is just that less stress about getting into vet school.
I'm not saying you (general you, not specific you batsenecal) don't have every right to wait until the last day, what I am saying is it does make a difference and depending on the circumstance, can be selfish.

I see what your saying, but I disagree. It does make a difference in the end to those waitlisted then accepted people. Earlier acceptance means more time to know to save up for that expensive deposit, more time to find suitable housing (especially if the student has a pet, pet friendly house hunting sucks). Earlier acceptance gives that student more time to evaluate what they want and if that is the school they want to attend. Earlier acceptance is just that less stress about getting into vet school.
I'm not saying you (general you, not specific you batsenecal) don't have every right to wait until the last day, what I am saying is it does make a difference and depending on the circumstance, can be selfish.

Was on the wait list for Kansas State two years in a row. Still don't see it as selfish more even though I did at the time because of one main reason: everyone has to take care of themselves first and foremost and are not maliciously holding back that acceptance from someone else. This change in opinion came mostly from @LetItSnow if I remember correctly.

For the person on the wait list, they can make it work in the end, regardless if they're called April 20th or August 20th. It honestly can become a wash too. I got an apartment March 3rd last year for $419/month while someone I know got one for $350 in mid-July, as an example.

And a wait listed student can plan ahead to a certain extent. They can determine what their chances of being pulled from the list are in a vague sense. They can see what the general costs of living are. They can do nearly anything an accepted student can do right until actually handing over the money to various entities. My first cycle, I had a decent chance according to the dean, so I planned accordingly and was more loosey goosey. My second cycle, he said it was probably unlikely, so I made more permanent arrangements. Both times I had a general plan for if I got pulled.

Reactions: 5 users
Plain and simple. It is the right of those accepted to take the time offered to make a decision. Whether it is easy or incredibly complicated, it is their right. Waitlisted is waitlisted. It means you have a chance and were competitive, but ultimately have to wait for a position.

Reactions: 13 users
Got the email tonight, I'm off the waitlist at Mizzou!! I'm instate.

Reactions: 15 users
It's really not selfish, though. The initially accepted student earned that offer of a seat and they have the right to take as much time as they need to decide what they'd like to do with it, even if that's waiting until the very deadline to make the decision whether or not to accept, no matter the reason for it. It sucks that those stuck on the waitlist have to, well, wait... but that's just the way that the process goes and there's no use in lamenting over it. The admissions process works this way for reasons of fairness to all applicants, as was brought up earlier.

The majority of schools do manage to get through a good portion of their waitlists, especially for OOS, so it's by no means impossible or hopeless to be pulled off. Absolutely not. For example, Iowa State has been known to dip into #70+ of the OOS waitlist in years past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
BTW rooting for those waitlisted. I loved a good number of my class's waitlist accepted, as they came in with excitement, and are a great set of people that filled out the class beautifully.

Reactions: 16 users
Just so everyone knows, Penn started their calls and has now gotten up to #5 on the IS waitlist and at least #9 on the OOS list. Good luck to whomever is next!

I've been following this thread for a while now. Haven't really seen anyone talk about Tennessee, anyone know the status of the class and if it is full? I'm IS wait listed so not exactly holding my breath.