VSAS Immunizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkmoto121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just looking over the AAMC Standard Immunizations form and it states that you need to have proof of 3 shots of hep B and the quantitative hep b surface ab titer. The problem is I only have records that show one hep b shot as a kid (I'm assuming it was my last one of the series and I couldn't find proof of the first two) and a hep b titer from before I started med school. My school only required a positive titer or the three shot series.

So my question is, has anybody applied to programs through VSAS that require the AAMC immunization form with just a hep b surface Ab > 10 and no proof of the three shots? It would take me like 6 months to get the three shots and the titer 4 weeks after the last shot...

And one last question, has anybody used the hep A/B combo shot to satisfy the requirement? That one only requires 4 weeks between the two.

Thanks in advance. I'm kinda freakin out..

Members don't see this ad.

So I was just looking over the AAMC Standard Immunizations form and it states that you need to have proof of 3 shots of hep B and the quantitative hep b surface ab titer. The problem is I only have records that show one hep b shot as a kid (I'm assuming it was my last one of the series and I couldn't find proof of the first two) and a hep b titer from before I started med school. My school only required a positive titer or the three shot series.

So my question is, has anybody applied to programs through VSAS that require the AAMC immunization form with just a hep b surface Ab > 10 and no proof of the three shots? It would take me like 6 months to get the three shots and the titer 4 weeks after the last shot...

And one last question, has anybody used the hep A/B combo shot to satisfy the requirement? That one only requires 4 weeks between the two.

Thanks in advance. I'm kinda freakin out..

I was forced to get the quantitative to go where I wanted, after calling to confirm there is no way out of it.

Sorry I can't make you feel better.

Get on all that stuff now, you'll be glad it's done moving forward in your career.

Pass on to the students below you how much tighter these requirements can be than your own school's, and to just get jabbed up the wazoo while they still have time.

I was forced to get the quantitative to go where I wanted, after calling to confirm there is no way out of it.

Sorry I can't make you feel better.

Get on all that stuff now, you'll be glad it's done moving forward in your career.

Pass on to the students below you how much tighter these requirements can be than your own school's, and to just get jabbed up the wazoo while they still have time.

Did you have to get re vaccinated or just show a positive surface antibody??

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have to get re vaccinated or just show a positive surface antibody??

I had to find out where I could even get the lab drawn and done by calling labs, and it wasn't covered by insurance.
It was going to be $250 bucks. No way.

I had a Student Health provider that looked at my positive qualitative, and decided that met the burden of quantitative, so they wrote me up something official that said > than whatever number. Cuz I guess to be positive it would have had to be....

Clearly Student Health wasn't new to the VSAS vaccination nightmare game.

Get all your stabs, get all your blood. When you are certain in your heart of hearts that you have received all the shots, and you have every last titer in hand, showing immunity, done your due diligence, and then the only issue left is documentation

make peace with your God

it won't be the first time over medical documentation

Last edited:
to answer you more directly, the combo is fine, the forms might seem to demand they be separate but this is fine. It's not exactly a "write outside the box" exercise but where totally logical and medically sound do it

It's confusing. Some places seemed to demand not ONLY the shot documentation but the titer too, and of a certain type.

I heard of students who would gather all their vaccine med records.
Then they gathered the VSAS forms. They filled them out.

They figured out what shots their body was missing and what titers they needed on their blood draws.
They did those things.

Not to fake getting shots they never had or get out of vaccines, that would be bad medicine, it would put them and patients at risk and would clearly be WRONG - but -
I heard some figured out what to do about their vaccine papers to make them reflect reality. Some of the records are just handwritten cards with name of shot, date, initials. Additions could be easy.

Just something I heard. Clearly wrong, unethical, cheating, I don't recommend it.

How recent do the titers have to be? I have titers from right before I started medical school (2014). Can I use those for VSAS?