VSAS 2017 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like being a DO...
...probably intended for those with lower than average board scores or no home program? just a guess though...

Members don't see this ad.

Is that a question or are you teaching me something?
That was a sad allusion to the fact (from what I've heard) that DO applicants absolutely need 3 ACGME SLOEs to be considered seriously for interviews at more competitive programs. It would be great if someone could tell me that's not true.

That was a sad allusion to the fact (from what I've heard) that DO applicants absolutely need 3 ACGME SLOEs to be considered seriously for interviews at more competitive programs. It would be great if someone could tell me that's not true.
I've never heard this, and interviewed at several of the bigger name EM programs as a DO with two SLOEs. I'm a few years removed from the process, but I doubt that has changed significantly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard this, and interviewed at several of the bigger name EM programs as a DO with two SLOEs. I'm a few years removed from the process, but I doubt that has changed significantly.
Were you pretty competitive score wise?

I doubt this is true. I'm an incoming M4, so obviously haven't gone through the interview process yet - but unless you're applying to the Ivory tower, I highly doubt they would care after the normal 2 SLOEs.

Obviously 3 SLOEs > 2 SLOEs. But thats true for anyone.

I have about 8 apps out right now for my last month that I wanted to secure an away in (September). Is it even worth it to add more at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is this VSAS thread for aspiring EM applicants only? My friend who will be applying to EM has gotten 3 aways already going outside of VSAS--just cold calls. I myself have sent out 10 application for IM, neurology and diag radiology and got ZERO response so far.

Is this VSAS thread for aspiring EM applicants only? My friend who will be applying to EM has gotten 3 aways already going outside of VSAS--just cold calls. I myself have sent out 10 application for IM, neurology and diag radiology and got ZERO response so far.
Just EM applicants, but good luck out there!

Reactions: 1 user
I have about 8 apps out right now for my last month that I wanted to secure an away in (September). Is it even worth it to add more at this point?

Is there high demand for these 8 programs?

Is there high demand for these 8 programs?

Maybe? They aren't mentioned very often on SDN but idk how much that really means.

I have never heard of any program having this requirement. As a program that has some DO faculty and takes DO residents (and would be considered to be "competitive"), we have no different expectations from our competitive M.D. applicants compared to our competitive D.O. applicants.

Has anyone heard from Mt. Sinai's hospitals? St. Luke's? Elmhurst?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, St Luke's was full. I met with them though at SAEM yesterday....solid, solid program.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Do you know how they are determining their candidates? Like I applied as soon as they opened and no response from them. So weird.

But I just heard back from Mt. Sinai (the main one) and was accepted, so no complaints.

Applied to 24 programs through VSAS. Have not heard anything back yet and the few I emailed said they are full. Is anyone in the same boat?

Last edited:
its pretty irritating when you call these coordinators and it always goes to voicemail, and your emails go unanswered. How in the world are you supposed to get any real answer from them?

its pretty irritating when you call these coordinators and it always goes to voicemail, and your emails go unanswered. How in the world are you supposed to get any real answer from them?

I feel you. Just hang in there.

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine emergency ultrasound program? Or does anyone know how long it takes for them to accept/reject?

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine emergency ultrasound program? Or does anyone know how long it takes for them to accept/reject?

Applied to their regular sub-I, haven't heard anything.

Just trying to see if there is any hope of July apps processing still, anyone heard from:
Maryland
Miami
Denver Health
Virginia
Cincinnati?

Heard from UCI in early June for Sept/Oct last year. Heard from UMD in mid-July for August/September.
Just wanna take a second and thank all the folks from the 2016-2017 cycle who keep coming back here to support this year's applicants! MVPs all around.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any opinions on NYP? In terms of doing an away there? Do they take a lot of their rotators?

Has anyone heard anything from Brown or Dartmouth about July/August rotations? I'm still holding out hope, but I need to accept the one offer I have during that timeframe sooner rather than later..

Has anyone heard anything from Brown or Dartmouth about July/August rotations? I'm still holding out hope, but I need to accept the one offer I have during that timeframe sooner rather than later..

No reply from Dartmouth yet. From my friends at Brown, I heard that there were 12 or 15 people in their class going into ER. So, they might have filled up their blocks with their own kids. Just an FYI. I could be completely wrong, though

Yes, I heard back from Brown about a month ago.

Yes, I heard back from Brown about a month ago.
Nice! The rotation at RHI or Memorial? And was it an offer during the summer months or even later? Trying to gauge how far out they are scheduling now..

No reply from Dartmouth yet. From my friends at Brown, I heard that there were 12 or 15 people in their class going into ER. So, they might have filled up their blocks with their own kids. Just an FYI. I could be completely wrong, though
Thanks for the info! Hopeful maybe there's a spot or two left!!

Ugh I still don't have a rotation for 7/31-8/25 with 6 applications pending :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Are you at least doing one home? I don't have one for August either, but I have home for July. And away for September and October. I have heard that would be fine.

Are you at least doing one home? I don't have one for August either, but I have home for July. And away for September and October. I have heard that would be fine.

My "home" denied my application. I have July and September set up but really want 2 sloes by application time.

I'm with ya...

I've got July and November (Not sure if November will be worth anything since its so late). September at an AOA program. Still tons of pending apps for August and October both... No movement (other than denials) in like a month...

I'm with ya...

I've got July and November (Not sure if November will be worth anything since its so late). September at an AOA program. Still tons of pending apps for August and October both... No movement (other than denials) in like a month...
Same situation for me...the program in November might not open too many doors, but it's a program I'm really interested in. Will you be applying in both matches?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using SDN mobile

Yep, St Luke's was full. I met with them though at SAEM yesterday....solid, solid program.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I am not sure if they are completely full yet. I got an offer from them recently. It could be certainly possible that someone dropped out recently and gave me the spot.

I am not sure if they are completely full yet. I got an offer from them recently. It could be certainly possible that someone dropped out recently and gave me the spot.
Is this St Luke's in Pennsylvania?

Just got an email from St Luke's saying they are full for audition season.

Has anyone heard back from Medical College of Wisconsin yet? I remember there were a couple of us on here that applied there.

Has anyone heard back from Medical College of Wisconsin yet? I remember there were a couple of us on here that applied there.

Still have not heard back from them. But I did call last week because I received a different offer for my first choice month and needed to make the decision. They left a message saying they are still reviewing files and should have decisions out "in a week or two." So... I wouldn't plan on hearing anything back until early- to mid-June. Womp. I had also contacted one of the people I know who rotated there in summer 2015 and he said they were really slow about everything, but they will give you a straight up answer should you contact them. At least none of us have heard anything back yet...?

Still have not heard back from them. But I did call last week because I received a different offer for my first choice month and needed to make the decision. They left a message saying they are still reviewing files and should have decisions out "in a week or two." So... I wouldn't plan on hearing anything back until early- to mid-June. Womp. I had also contacted one of the people I know who rotated there in summer 2015 and he said they were really slow about everything, but they will give you a straight up answer should you contact them. At least none of us have heard anything back yet...?
That's good I guess...lol. My first choice month with them was September, which I'm sure is a very popular month for them. At this point though, I'm wide open for September!!! Haha I am a little surprised they actually called you back. Every place I've called hasn't answered or replied up to this point.

That's good I guess...lol. My first choice month with them was September, which I'm sure is a very popular month for them. At this point though, I'm wide open for September!!! Haha I am a little surprised they actually called you back. Every place I've called hasn't answered or replied up to this point.

This was message #250000 in this forum. Now, mine is #250001!

Yeah, I called the Office of the Registrar. I had called them for when I got rejected initially due to clerical errors (don't remember if I said that above, and too lazy to look, but I think I did) and they were more helpful than my home institution! They were kind to call back because I was calling during the midst of their graduation festivities. They're good people; I did some research there after M1 and everyone was crazy friendly and on the ball as far as the administration stuff went. Oh, also they said decisions either way would be sent out through VSAS so I guess don't expect an email ahead of time like some programs do.

Same situation for me...the program in November might not open too many doors, but it's a program I'm really interested in. Will you be applying in both matches?

Yeah Im planning on it - but if I get enough interviews (fingers crossed) I'll rescind my apps from the AOA Match... That'll be a decision I'll have to make down the road - just don't want to have that door automatically closed to me already...