volunteering oversea or working in dental lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two things that I can do for the summer. I can either spend $3000 US travelling down to Ecuader to volunteer in a hospital and orphange for a month or work as a full-time lab assistant at a dental lab and get paid.

It seems either going to Ecuador or working in dental research lab would benefit my personal growth in different ways. So, I think that I will choose based on which experience would look better on my dental school application. I know it's lame (some of you may flame me for it), but both options look good and I have nothing to compare with expect which one would impress the dental adcom more.

Oversea volunteer or research at dental lab? Which would look better on dental application? Is oversea volunteer really necessary to impress the adcom? I would only do it if oversea volunteer REALLY impress the adcom since it will REALLY cost me a lot of $$$. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably work in the dental lab. I am applying for this year's cycle and am spending my summer working for a dentist. I know schools like to see a passion for dentistry and what better way than to sacrifice your summer and work for a dentist. Also, I know some schools require a LOR from a dentist, so working there this summer will give you good experience AND a LOR.

Smooth Operater said:
I have two things that I can do for the summer. I can either spend $3000 US travelling down to Ecuader to volunteer in a hospital and orphange for a month or work as a full-time lab assistant at a dental lab and get paid.

It seems either going to Ecuador or working in dental research lab would benefit my personal growth in different ways. So, I think that I will choose based on which experience would look better on my dental school application. I know it's lame (some of you may flame me for it), but both options look good and I have nothing to compare with expect which one would impress the dental adcom more.

Oversea volunteer or research at dental lab? Which would look better on dental application? Is oversea volunteer really necessary to impress the adcom? I would only do it if oversea volunteer REALLY impress the adcom since it will REALLY cost me a lot of $$$. Thanks!

Personally, the overseas looks nice. You can't go wrong here with which ever you choose. Both great interview topics, I would say that the overseas might win more brownie points...

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:

yes, the overseas thing might give you extra brownie points... but IMO working in a lab will give you more practical experience, hands-on experience, ect... of course, depending on how much the lab actually lets you do. i work in a lab during my summer breaks from school... ive been doing this for a while now, and i feel like it will, at the very least, give me something to talk about during interviews. just my 2 cents.

speedy

well, I am planning to start a research project at this dental lab. So, I am sure that I will learn many things to talk about if I work there for long term.

Dental Lab...of course..LOL :thumbup:

Smooth Operater said:

Oversea volunteer!!

I had a chance to volunteer in Cambodia a summer before I applied to Dental school. Wow, what an experience!!!

Working at a dental lab's going to be good too, you'll gain some valuable experience. BUT, just remember that you'll be in dental environment for rest of your life...so no need to rush.

My advice is for you to go oversea. Chance to do something like this don't come often. You'll learn and experience so many things that you can't even imagine. You'll love it!

As for your question regarding Which would look better on dental application?
Both will look good. So choose something that you'll enjoy the most.

Good luck!

-HJ

well, I forget to mention that I will be work in dental "research" lab.

I will be assisting two post-docs finishing up their projects at the lab. I probably will just help them running experiments and preparing sample. I am not sure how much I can learn and be able to talk about when applying to dental schools.

Did anyone here actually spend alot of time talking about their research experience at interview?

I still say go abroad...you can always do your dental research later on.

I've done lots of research ( not dental though...) but no one asked me any questions regarding my research at the interview. They did ask me tons of questions about my volunteer work in Cambodia though~ :)

Smooth Operater said:
well, I forget to mention that I will be work in dental "research" lab.

I will be assisting two post-docs finishing up their projects at the lab. I probably will just help them running experiments and preparing sample. I am not sure how much I can learn and be able to talk about when applying to dental schools.

Did anyone here actually spend alot of time talking about their research experience at interview?

I did -- at a couple schools. But I agree with HJ714. You can always do research while in school, going abroad is an experience that won't come your way often especially while working hard to get into dental school. I did both abroad (different S. American countries) and research (Cancer) (and like you, i did alot of "tech" stuff). Both topics were brought up by my interviewers but the abroad experience definitely left a better impression on them. Maybe it depends on which school you wanted to go to?? because UMICH only asked about my research, asking very specific questions since my interviewer was very interested in what i researched on, but at UMDNJ, for example, we spent most of our time talking about my abroad experience and other related topics.