This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keep VMCAS talk in its own thread?

• Yes, I would like a consolidated source for my VMCAS questions and rants

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No, I am happy to keep VMCAS discussion in the c/o 2022 hopefuls thread

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
Hi everyone! My situation is pretty unique so I doubt there is already a thread about this, but if there is I'm sorry!

I am currently applying to veterinary school (c/o 2022 hopeful) and am working on my experiences section, and I need some advice on how to enter a particular experience. I have been shadowing/ assisting at an equine veterinary practice for over two years now. Very recently, the two veterinarians that owned the practice decided to "split up". As a result, the business was dissolved and a new one was created, less one of the previous owners. I am still continuing to work with the two associate veterinarians that I have been with for several years.

My question is, do I enter this as one experience or two?

Other than legally being a new company and the loss of an owning partner, nothing has changed. I am still working with the same veterinarians, we still see the same clients, their office is still in the same location, etc. I have asked both of the vets that I work with at the company how to approach this in my application, and neither was sure what to do, because while for me nothing is changing, technically it is a new company that they are working for. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to fill up my application by adding two experiences with the same people, but I also don't want to say that I'm currently working with a company that is no longer in existence. (*FYI I am applying to UGA, and the practice is close to UGA. The doctors at the practice know many of the doctors at UGA personally, so someone on the adcom is likely to know of the practice's situation)

Any advice will help, thanks!

I had something similar. I worked with a food animal practice where the two vets I was shadowing left and joined a larger practice. I ended up just putting it all down as one experience and put the info for the newer practice down in VMCAS. like TrashPanda said, it doesn't really matter as long as the hours are correct.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also wondering how to log hours for experiences that did not happen on a weekly basis. For example, if I shadowed whenever I could during winter and summer breaks, the length of time between start and end is three years, but I did not shadow consistently during those three years. I know the total hours I shadowed since I logged those on my own, but how should I enter them in VMCAS given the "weekly hours times number of weeks" formula? Thanks!

I am also wondering how to log hours for experiences that did not happen on a weekly basis. For example, if I shadowed whenever I could during winter and summer breaks, the length of time between start and end is three years, but I did not shadow consistently during those three years. I know the total hours I shadowed since I logged those on my own, but how should I enter them in VMCAS given the "weekly hours times number of weeks" formula? Thanks!

I had the same issue as I shadowed off and on for many years. I ended up just taking the total hours and dividing it by the number of weeks I worked to get an average number of hours per week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Did any of you list study abroad trips as experiences? I studied abroad for two summers in undergrad, and I want to list those experiences but they don't fit as Animal, Veterinary, or Volunteer and they also weren't really Extracurricular since I took classes for my minor during the trips. Any tips?
Isn't your study abroad on your transcript? Mine is so I'm assuming they will go through my transcript to see it. No need to add in a category.

Isn't your study abroad on your transcript? Mine is so I'm assuming they will go through my transcript to see it. No need to add in a category.

Yes, the classes are on my transcript and I marked them as study abroad, but that doesn't even say which countries I went to or what I did while I was there.

Yes, the classes are on my transcript and I marked them as study abroad, but that doesn't even say which countries I went to or what I did while I was there.
Hm I'm not sure what to tell you. I added several components of my study abroad into several categories. For instance, I conducted field research so I added that to the research category and I did activities involving animals so I put those in the animal experience category. I also interned at a family planning clinic and I think I put that under extracurrical or volunteer. If your experiences studying abroad don't directly translate to those categories and it wasn't heavily science based, I feel you could possibly add it to the extra essay category for explanation. However, I personally feel it would be weird just to add to the categories as its own entity considering it is an academic experience and not necessarily extracurricular if that makes sense.

Hello,

So I received a written warning during my freshman year and was wondering if this counts as Institutional action/should be reported on the VMCAS application?

Long story short: My undergraduate university is a dry campus and so prohibits any form of alcohol consumption/possession in any way. I went to my friend's dorm and found them drinking, I, however, did not drink. We got caught(I blew a 0 on the breathalyzer since I did not drink) and I received a email warning from my university for "Being in the presence of alcohol". Is this something that I should mention under the "Institutional Action" section of my VMCAS?

Thanks

Hello,

So I received a written warning during my freshman year and was wondering if this counts as Institutional action/should be reported on the VMCAS application?

Long story short: My undergraduate university is a dry campus and so prohibits any form of alcohol consumption/possession in any way. I went to my friend's dorm and found them drinking, I, however, did not drink. We got caught(I blew a 0 on the breathalyzer since I did not drink) and I received a email warning from my university for "Being in the presence of alcohol". Is this something that I should mention under the "Institutional Action" section of my VMCAS?

Thanks

The best way to find out is if this is on your "permanent" record with the school. Most likely it is and therefore would be reported as an IA. At least that is how it would've worked at my undergrad, which is also a dry campus. Granted, we also didn't give warnings. It went straight to consequences with alcohol infractions.

I'm a little bit unsure how to list this animal experience of mine. I started off doing horseback riding at a therapeutic riding center for many years starting off since I was a kid, and then became a barn volunteer and lesson volunteer later on. Should I list this all as one single experience or break it up into three separate ones? Thoughts?

I'm a little bit unsure how to list this animal experience of mine. I started off doing horseback riding at a therapeutic riding center for many years starting off since I was a kid, and then became a barn volunteer and lesson volunteer later on. Should I list this all as one single experience or break it up into three separate ones? Thoughts?

I would split it into two: non-volunteer and volunteer.

The best way to find out is if this is on your "permanent" record with the school. Most likely it is and therefore would be reported as an IA. At least that is how it would've worked at my undergrad, which is also a dry campus. Granted, we also didn't give warnings. It went straight to consequences with alcohol infractions.

Thank you for the reply,
So I've contacted my school, and they said it is on my record, so I'm going to go ahead and report it on my VMCAS. Would you happen to know how much of an impact this would have on my overall application?

Thank you for the reply,
So I've contacted my school, and they said it is on my record, so I'm going to go ahead and report it on my VMCAS. Would you happen to know how much of an impact this would have on my overall application?
I would say it depends on the school. Since it was a warning I don't think I would not be too concerned (but I'm not people looking at your app). Vet I worked for was in a similar situation, drinking/partying ticket in undergrad and is a vet now (went to CSU).

Thank you for the reply,

I agree with it depending on the school. However, I don't see it having a massive impact, especially if you've been a straight arrow since. One alcohol violation probably isn't a massive deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I just submitted my VMCAS application but now I think I may have a problem. I have to take the animal nutrition prerequisite but I have not yet enrolled in it. I entered in my transcript section that I am planning on taking it and that I am planning on taking it from OK State. However, I do not have a transcript to send in for this because I have not enrolled yet. Now my application says it isn't complete because I haven't sent a transcript from OK State (because I don't have one). Has anyone else had this problem?

Hey everyone,
I just submitted my VMCAS application but now I think I may have a problem. I have to take the animal nutrition prerequisite but I have not yet enrolled in it. I entered in my transcript section that I am planning on taking it and that I am planning on taking it from OK State. However, I do not have a transcript to send in for this because I have not enrolled yet. Now my application says it isn't complete because I haven't sent a transcript from OK State (because I don't have one). Has anyone else had this problem?

If you literally just submitted it then they probably haven't had time to verify the coursework yet. I don't think you need to have transcripts for courses that are planned. I think it only matters for courses that you've already taken or are currently taking.

Worst that will happen is you won't get verified and then I believe your application will be sent back to you so you can fix what's wrong. Since you've submitted early, you've got time. Contact VMCAS and ask if you're concerned though.

Hi!

Regarding the three essays, how important is it to reach the 1000 character limit? I know that many people feel like the limit is way too short to get all of their thoughts down, however I tend to be a very concise writer and am able to thoroughly get my point across in a small word count. If I am forced to reach a certain word/ character count I tend to become repetitive and stray off topic. Do you think an essay with a +/- 800 character count is looked down upon (i.e. will the adcom think "there's 200 characters of missed opportunity")? Should I try to get as close to 1000 as possible?

Hi!

Regarding the three essays, how important is it to reach the 1000 character limit? I know that many people feel like the limit is way too short to get all of their thoughts down, however I tend to be a very concise writer and am able to thoroughly get my point across in a small word count. If I am forced to reach a certain word/ character count I tend to become repetitive and stray off topic. Do you think an essay with a +/- 800 character count is looked down upon (i.e. will the adcom think "there's 200 characters of missed opportunity")? Should I try to get as close to 1000 as possible?

If you can fully answer the question in that number of characters then I don't think you're going to be looked down on for being concise. The quality of your answer is far more important than how long it is. That said, 1000 characters isn't very much so be sure that you actually did answer the question well before calling it good at < 800 characters. Have a few people look over your responses for you if you can.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can fully answer the question in that number of characters then I don't think you're going to be looked down on for being concise. The quality of your answer is far more important than how long it is. That said, 1000 characters isn't very much so be sure that you actually did answer the question well before calling it good at < 800 characters. Have a few people look over your responses for you if you can.
Thanks! When I wrote that I thought VMCAS didn't count spaces, but turns out it does. Guess I should have done my research before posting :)

@canyonman I found that out the hard way last year at like 2 am the day VMCAS was due, haha! I thought I had read specifically that spaces did NOT count - when I put in my essay thinking the limit was 4,500 characters and only 70% of it fit, I about had a heart attack. Good for you for checking early, haha.

I've seen similar questions to mine asked previously, but haven't been able to find a great answer.

The professor that taught my animal science practicum course was a DVM. We did things like vaccinate and TPR horses and cattle, take ear notches for BVD testing, place EIDs, freeze brand heifers, and castrate bull calves, as well as take forage samples, evaluate cattle handling facilities, learn cattle transporting procedures, and learn the name and function of a multitude of farm and LA veterinary equipment. We also became certified in hay sampling and cow/calf beef quality assurance.

Although this was a school course, can I still enter this experience as veterinary experience since it was under a DVM?
Thanks!

I'm super confused regarding the prerequisite section of some supplementals. How are we supposed to choose the courses? For example, organic chemistry. Do I choose all my ochem courses? Do I choose a single course? Do I choose the first ochem course I took? If I retook a course, do I put both the first attempt and the second?

Any help would be really appreciated!

I'm super confused regarding the prerequisite section of some supplementals. How are we supposed to choose the courses? For example, organic chemistry. Do I choose all my ochem courses? Do I choose a single course? Do I choose the first ochem course I took? If I retook a course, do I put both the first attempt and the second?

Any help would be really appreciated!
It truly depends on the school. Some schools for me only required 5 hours of O chem so I chose my best lecture and best lab (which didn't match, but that was fine with them). Other schools required all of my O chem courses. Some schools want to see them all. Some schools want the coordinated lecture and lab. Email them individually for guidance would be your best bet.

I've seen similar questions to mine asked previously, but haven't been able to find a great answer.

The professor that taught my animal science practicum course was a DVM. We did things like vaccinate and TPR horses and cattle, take ear notches for BVD testing, place EIDs, freeze brand heifers, and castrate bull calves, as well as take forage samples, evaluate cattle handling facilities, learn cattle transporting procedures, and learn the name and function of a multitude of farm and LA veterinary equipment. We also became certified in hay sampling and cow/calf beef quality assurance.

Although this was a school course, can I still enter this experience as veterinary experience since it was under a DVM?
Thanks!
When I applied, the verdict from VMCAS was to not include experiences that were for college credit, since they'll already be in your coursework section. However, I know some schools at the time said otherwise since the course title alone doesn't indicate everything that you did, so you might contact the schools you're applying to to check what they want.

Another question

Is it correct to list publications and abstracts as achievements in the achievement/honors section?
If it is, how would you guys recommend listing it? For the name of the achievement, would it be best to put something like "second author of accepted manuscript" or "abstract poster presentation" or maybe just "abstract/publication"?

Last edited:
Another question

Is it correct to list publications and abstracts as achievements in the achievement/honors section?
If it is, how would you guys recommend listing it? For the name of the achievement, would it be best to put something like "second author of accepted manuscript" or "abstract poster presentation" or maybe just "abstract/publication"?
Definitely yes to research publications, abstracts I'd be kind of wary about, because there are so many varying items an abstract could be published in I'm not sure it's an "achievement." Others may disagree with the abstract, but I personally didn't list mine because my abstract was accepted into so many places it'd take me forever to track down and be numerous entries, but I did list all the conferences I attended in which my abstract was accepted as it was required for attendance. However you list it is up to you, whatever you think is most professional etc. Perhaps others could provide more insight to the abstract part of your question.

@smooch I listed my abstracts under the achievement/honors section if they were accepted for presentation...if accepted, I think that is an achievement/honor. However, I did group them by conference. Ex. I had research accepted at one conference like 3 years in a row, so I listed all of those presentations under one entry even though they were on different topics. I did that with publications as well though - I had a few from the same journal, so I listed them under one entry.

@smooch I listed my abstracts under the achievement/honors section if they were accepted for presentation...if accepted, I think that is an achievement/honor. However, I did group them by conference. Ex. I had research accepted at one conference like 3 years in a row, so I listed all of those presentations under one entry even though they were on different topics. I did that with publications as well though - I had a few from the same journal, so I listed them under one entry.

Do you mind sharing, if you remember, how you named the abstract achievement? I'm getting caught up on the wording. I'm currently using "Abstract accepted and presented at xxxxx 2015" and "Manuscript publication", but I'm thinking that may be that's too wordy/ambiguous.

@smooch that's actually very close to what I did: "Multiple presentations at XXXX 2016" then in the free text I included the name of the abstracts and whether each was a poster or oral presentation. I did one of these entries for each conference, combining years unless I needed to split it into two entries for space (so if I presented at the same conference multiple years, I would just add - for example - 2014-2016 to the title if all the presentation details would fit in one entry). If you had a conference with a single presentation, I think you could shorten it to something like: "Oral presentation at XXXX 2016" or "Poster presentation at XXXX 2017". I don't think you have to put the "abstract accepted" part in there since that can be assumed (and you can add it to the free-text), but I don't think it sounds too bulky if you like it :).

For my manuscript publications I made it descriptive, but tried to keep it short: "Name of journal - rabies publication" or "Name of journal - R. parkeri publication" - then I put the name of the actual research article and a few details in the free text part.

I'm sure others have done it different ways, but that worked for me :).

I have a situation that I don't know how to handle on my VMCAS. I'm enrolled in wildlife rehab skills class put on by our state wildlife and fisheries on September 16th, the day AFTER the VMCAS is due. Would be okay for me to list it as an experience and put an explanation in the description field? I really want to list it because I don't have much wildlife experience but I don't want to do anything that isn't kosher.

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered. I did a search but everything I found was about veterinary hours. :help:

Last edited:
I have a situation that I don't know how to handle on my VMCAS. I'm enrolled in wildlife rehab skills class put on by our state wildlife and fisheries on September 16th, the day AFTER the VMCAS is due. Would be okay for me to list it as an experience and put an explanation in the description field? I really want to list it because I don't have much wildlife experience but I don't want to do anything that isn't kosher.

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered. I did a search but everything I found was about veterinary hours. :help:
I read that you cannot put things on the application you have not yet done or hours you haven't completed.

You wouldn't list something you haven't done, but it would be a great experience to talk about in interviews! Or some schools allow you to send updates to your application as you have things to add, so check to see if that's applicable for the school/s you're applying to.

I'll definitely check with my school to see if they allow updates. It makes sense that they would, but if not I'll just use it for interview fodder (if I make it that far!). I hadn't thought about that angle. Thanks for the replies and advice!

Does anyone know if I am listed in a research paper under the acknowledgements section - should I list that as one 'experience' or two since there was a paper published and I completed research?
Also, silly follow up question, can I list this paper under published works for supplemental sections if I note I'm in the acknowledgements section? Or is that a no-no since I'm not technically listed as an author for the paper?

@BishopFaust unless you contributed to the writing of the manuscript, I would only list it as one experience under the activity that you were acknowledged for. I had a couple of these last year, I just added the acknowledgement on the paper almost as an aside in the free text. So the title for one was something like "MDR TB research, South Africa" and then I talked about the data collection and abstraction I did and then added that the group I worked with later published a paper on the research as a whole and I was acknowledged.

As far as listing it as a published work, I would not recommend doing that (definitely a no-no at least in the field I'm in).

If you feel it's important to your application, you can mention it briefly in the explanation section. If you already have a related experience (e.g., other wildlife experience, preferably with same organization), another option is to describe the class in the same section but don't include the hours. Updates and supplementals (some schools have a later deadline than VMCAS) are also great.

It's definitely good interview fodder. Some schools specifically ask about what you've been up to since submitting VMCAS, and it'll be nice to have something new!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So I am totally confused, do the 3 letters of rec have to be completed by the time we submit or just sent to them? Do they need to be requested, accepted, or submitted?

Also, if we don't have our app in by August 15th but its in by like the 20th, do you think that would be ok? Why have people had them returned in the past? I'm getting nervous about that part...

@ziggyandjazzy
Your letters just need to be requested at the time you submit. You'll be fine if you have it in the 20th vs the 15th. Most people have them sent back for transcript entry problems. VMCAS is just doing transcript verifications

@ziggyandjazzy
Your letters just need to be requested at the time you submit. You'll be fine if you have it in the 20th vs the 15th. Most people have them sent back for transcript entry problems. VMCAS is just doing transcript verifications
Do you know how long the transcript verification usually takes? Should I have someone review my transcript to see if I have entered it all in correctly?

Also, for experiences not involving animals, a vet or research, would it make sense to have the descriptions be a bit shorter than the 600 characters given? I feel like I will easily be able to fill that description when I am talking about more recent and pertinent parts of my application but perhaps not my HS athletics.

Also, do you think it would be worth including that I played a sport at my college during my freshman year? It's d3 and on my transcript. I guess I am a bit hesitant to mention it because I didn't play after that year so I don't want it to look like I quit, but idk. thoughts?

Do you know how long the transcript verification usually takes? Should I have someone review my transcript to see if I have entered it all in correctly?

I submitted 9/15 (the last day!) and was verified 9/21. I read that something like 80% of applicants submit in the last 2-3 days, so that must be the busiest time. It probably helped that I didn't have any errors.

I believe the year before, VMCAS had a whole bunch of trouble with verification and it took quite a bit longer, so you never know. Earlier is definitely better, if only for your peace of mind! However, even if you submit late, you're unlikely to have serious problems. Not submitting a transcript is really, really bad. Misclassifying a course or accidentally putting in an A instead of a B is not a big deal- I think you can have up to three small errors and they'll just fix them for you. More than that, or one big error, and you'll need to fix it yourself and resubmit before the 9/15 deadline.

Just proofread, proofread, proofread and try to submit earlier than I did! If you have a patient friend or family member who's willing to look your transcripts/application over, that's great.

Also, for experiences not involving animals, a vet or research, would it make sense to have the descriptions be a bit shorter than the 600 characters given? I feel like I will easily be able to fill that description when I am talking about more recent and pertinent parts of my application but perhaps not my HS athletics.

Also, do you think it would be worth including that I played a sport at my college during my freshman year? It's d3 and on my transcript. I guess I am a bit hesitant to mention it because I didn't play after that year so I don't want it to look like I quit, but idk. thoughts?

Yeah, HS sports probably don't require 600 characters, especially since awards go in their own section. No matter what activity you're describing, you should be as succinct as possible. For some, that will be 600 characters, but others will be less.

And YESSSS include college sports. Adcoms like athletes and because it's such a huge time commitment, it can provide context to poor grades or show that you can really manage your time! I think most people have at least one activity that they only did for a year or less in college. It's not a problem, but when interview time comes around, you may want to think about what to say if you're asked why you quit.

I submitted 9/15 (the last day!) and was verified 9/21. I read that something like 80% of applicants submit in the last 2-3 days, so that must be the busiest time. It probably helped that I didn't have any errors.

I believe the year before, VMCAS had a whole bunch of trouble with verification and it took quite a bit longer, so you never know. Earlier is definitely better, if only for your peace of mind! However, even if you submit late, you're unlikely to have serious problems. Not submitting a transcript is really, really bad. Misclassifying a course or accidentally putting in an A instead of a B is not a big deal- I think you can have up to three small errors and they'll just fix them for you. More than that, or one big error, and you'll need to fix it yourself and resubmit before the 9/15 deadline.

Just proofread, proofread, proofread and try to submit earlier than I did! If you have a patient friend or family member who's willing to look your transcripts/application over, that's great.
I feel like someone asked this before but I'm not sure where. I haven't taken animal nutrition and it's not offered at my school so I don't have a transcript for the online course I may take in Spring. I'm assuming that won't cause issues?

Also, good to know about the sports! I guess I will include lol.

Last edited:
I feel like someone asked this before but I'm not sure where. I haven't taken animal nutrition and it's not offered at my school so I don't have a transcript for the online course I may take in Spring. I'm assuming that won't cause issues?

Also, good to know about the sports! I guess I will include lol.

Yeah, that's fine! You don't need a transcript for classes that haven't finished by the 9/15 deadline. Just list it as a future/expected/whatever (can't remember the VMCAS name) course for Spring 2018.

I submitted mine 7/26 and I was verified like 3 days later, but you're probably looking at a week like everyone else the closer to the deadline we get. Also agree with everyone else add the sport and it's ok not to use all 600 characters!

Is it ok to include research we have done for classes as long as we state that?

Also, do most schools look at our fall grades before making decisions? I am going to be in 4 science classes and I'm super nervous.

Last edited:
@ziggyandjazzy most schools do ask for your fall transcript and usually have a deadline for them prior to decisions being released (not all schools, but many). I believe it probably varies greatly on how much impact they have on the decision. For example, UGA's deadline for fall transcripts is usually right around the time decisions are released, it's unlikely they consider those transcripts too heavily because they have already made most of their cuts at that point. They may use them more for those applicants who are borderline in order to make a final decision. Also, schools who do interviews have mostly made those offers well before fall grades are out, so they at least will not be considered for interview invite decisions in most cases.

As far as research you did for a class - what type of research? Was something from it published or presented at a conference or scientific meeting outside of the school? This is just my opinion, but basic research is included in a lot of coursework, so unless it was atypical of a class (practical research to contribute to a larger project or that was accepted/utilized in the scientific community) then I would not list it as research.

Also, schools who do interviews have mostly made those offers well before fall grades are out, so they at least will not be considered for interview invite decisions in most cases.
Somewhat of an exception to this: Illinois uses fall grades in determining who to interview because they interview late. We found out 24th of January for a feb 13th interview (only interview day) this year. They told people who passed into Phase II mid-December that we needed to send fall transcripts in by mid-January. I think it's mostly just verifying that you did take those classes in the fall and you did pass them. But if you don't send one in or you don't pass your classes, then I'm pretty sure they said they won't offer you an interview.

Also, do most schools look at our fall grades before making decisions? I am going to be in 4 science classes and I'm super nervous.
Since you are IS Oregon State definitely looks at your fall term grades before decisions, but not before interview invites go out. I'm not really sure how much impact it has on decisions though. My bet is that if you rock your interview, unless you get below a C it won't affect you too much.

Does anyone know where to add certifications? For example, I am now a registered lab animal technician through AALAS.