This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keep VMCAS talk in its own thread?

• Yes, I would like a consolidated source for my VMCAS questions and rants

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No, I am happy to keep VMCAS discussion in the c/o 2022 hopefuls thread

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

sonvric

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any questions/concerns/ranting about VMCAS

**for the class of 2022. I obviously need to work on rereading what I wrote before I hit enter.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feel weird writing the three questions versus the old one of incorporating them all into one essay? I keep feeling like there's no real flow to my answers and having limited characters to work with and split it up into three different segments makes my answers feel choppy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
C/o 2020?
for the class of 2022. I obviously need to work on rereading what I wrote before I hit enter. i also don't know how to edit the title of the forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else feel weird writing the three questions versus the old one of incorporating them all into one essay? I keep feeling like there's no real flow to my answers and having limited characters to work with and split it up into three different segments makes my answers feel choppy.
Definitely! I guess I like the feeling that I'm at least answering what they want, but I don't feel like I can tell the story of how I got here, you know?

Can we include research experience that was done as an independent project as part of a class?

What is a good amount of extracurricular activities to list on the VMCAS application? Is it possible to list too many?

What is a good amount of extracurricular activities to list on the VMCAS application? Is it possible to list too many?

I think I listed about 3 extracurriculars. There are different schools of thought on this, but I personally think listing too many "fluff" things can overshadow the relevant experiences you have. The adcoms are reviewing hundreds of applications, so I'd include things that show who you are or illustrate unique interests/skills outside of vetmed, but not get too into the weeds and bog down your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I listed about 3 extracurriculars. There are different schools of thought on this, but I personally think listing too many "fluff" things can overshadow the relevant experiences you have. The adcoms are reviewing hundreds of applications, so I'd include things that show who you are or illustrate unique interests/skills outside of vetmed, but not get too into the weeds and bog down your app.
Hmm I keep get conflicting info. Some people say: INCLUDE EVERYTHING!! whereas some people are more on your side. I am not even sure now. And as for pet ownership... ugh idk

Hmm I keep get conflicting info. Some people say: INCLUDE EVERYTHING!! whereas some people are more on your side. I am not even sure now. And as for pet ownership... ugh idk
So I visited with an admission counselor a few weeks ago (WA) and she said. We want to know what makes you who you are. Did you nanny for 10 years, we want to know. She said that if they think the information is irrelevant they will just note it and move on. Like it's not a big deal she seemed to say. Also as far as animal experiences she said to quote hours of active care. So actually taking care of the pet. Ex: I have a dog. Active care includes feeding and say giving any meds but not sitting on the couch petting the dog. Hope this helps!

This is a really ****ing dumb question but i CANNOT figure out where the essay prompts are in the VMCAS app? I know what they are and I've been working on them but I haven't come across where to input them among the 4 categories (personal information, academic history, supporting information, and program materials)? I feel like an idiot :bang:

This is a really ****ing dumb question but i CANNOT figure out where the essay prompts are in the VMCAS app? I know what they are and I've been working on them but I haven't come across where to input them among the 4 categories (personal information, academic history, supporting information, and program materials)? I feel like an idiot :bang:
Personal Info -> other info and scrooooll down and the 3 little personal statement essay prompts are down there

Personal Info -> other info and scrooooll down and the 3 little personal statement essay prompts are down there

Omg that's so dumb. I feel like it should be its own category?!
Thank you!!

Ok, another question -
I have a several courses that were "special topics" and didn't have their own course catalog name. Is there a place where we can input the course name when the name of the course doesn't match what my transcript says? Otherwise I was thinking of using the explanations section to detail my course titles?

The club on my campus started a VMCAS 2018 Facebook group where we can ask questions! There are students that applied last cycle as well as vet students from our campus monitoring the group!

Feel free to join: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding the Achievements section of the application. I noticed that it says to list achievements including scholarships all the way from high school.

When applying to college, I was offered many different scholarships at different schools. However, I didn't attend those schools, so i didn't "use" the scholarship. Although I was offered them, but did not use them, should I still list them? Thanks!

Jessica

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding the Achievements section of the application. I noticed that it says to list achievements including scholarships all the way from high school.

When applying to college, I was offered many different scholarships at different schools. However, I didn't attend those schools, so i didn't "use" the scholarship. Although I was offered them, but did not use them, should I still list them? Thanks!

Jessica
I would say no, I didn't even think of listing scholarships like that when I applied. It seems like overkill to me, but I'm curious what others think.

This will vary somewhat depending on the school, but I think in general the advice is to include as much as you can, within reason. (WSU says that humility does not apply to VMCAS. Be proud of everything you've done and tell them about it. Do you go hiking every weekend? Play an instrument? Include it!) If you attended 10 plays in college and want to include that as an EC, enter it as one entry rather than one for each play to eliminate repetitiveness. Having a bare bones VMCAS was a really negative thing the first time I applied. It wasn't the difference between acceptance and rejection, but it was important.

I had ~7 my first application (to WSU) and they told me that section was really weak. I listed ~30 the second time and I was told my VMCAS was ranked very highly. It really does depend on the adcom.

Hello all,

Jessica
I generally wouldn't, although if you were offered something particularly prestigious and turned down (ex: a full ride or something) I would consider it. As it is, I listed only the scholarships I actually received.

I had ~7 my first application (to WSU) and they told me that section was really weak. I listed ~30 the second time and I was told my VMCAS was ranked very highly. It really does depend on the adcom.
Good to know, thank you. I plan to apply to WSU

The VMCAS application asks "Has there been any interval longer than 3 months during which you were not enrolled as a student or employed?" I'm not sure if this applies to me since I took a year and a half off from school but was still working full time.

The VMCAS application asks "Has there been any interval longer than 3 months during which you were not enrolled as a student or employed?" I'm not sure if this applies to me since I took a year and a half off from school but was still working full time.

You were working full time, so you were employed. You can leave it blank.

EDIT: You may want to explain why you took time off from school, but that would go in the explanation section elsewhere.

You were working full time, so you were employed. You can leave it blank.

EDIT: You may want to explain why you took time off from school, but that would go in the explanation section elsewhere.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking!

Hi all!

I'm currently applying to vet schools via VMCAS and I'm trying to manually enter my transcripts in the Transcript Entry section. However, I'm at a standstill because I can't figure out what subject to pick from the drop down list for my Spanish classes. I'm a Spanish minor, so I have a bunch of Spanish classes (some literature-based, some culture-based, some writing-based, etc.) to enter. Is "Humanities" the best option?

Hi all!

I'm currently applying to vet schools via VMCAS and I'm trying to manually enter my transcripts in the Transcript Entry section. However, I'm at a standstill because I can't figure out what subject to pick from the drop down list for my Spanish classes. I'm a Spanish minor, so I have a bunch of Spanish classes (some literature-based, some culture-based, some writing-based, etc.) to enter. Is "Humanities" the best option?
Foreign languages is an option and is what I put for my French

Hi all!

I did the Spanish minor as well and put foreign languages down for all of my Spanish classes.

Has anyone had trouble with their GRE scores sending before? I took the exam and designated my scores to 4 institutions all under the VMCAS code. VMCAS got only 3/4 of the scores... I of course have a ticket in with them, but am waiting to hear back. If they never got the scores has anyone had experience with ETS and having them resend? I mean I paid for those scores to be sent already and don't want to pay to have them resent for their problem...

Question about entering AP credits - if they are listed on my transcript do I need to put them into my VMCAS transcript entry, even if I didn't receive credit for them? For example, I took AP bio and got a high enough score to transfer out of 100 level bio, but not 200 level. So on my transcript, under advanced placement credits, it says:

BIOL 100 Gen Bio 3.00 T
BIOL 203 Principles Bio 0.00 T

I have several of these courses listed, where it would have transferred but I got 0.00 credits....do I need to list these, since they show up on my transcript, or can I just skip those?

Similarly, I did a study abroad program through a different university. I got my separate transcript with my grades from that university, but those same courses show up on my college transcript as transfer credits (3.00 T). Do I need to list these again, as well under my specific school I did it with??

Question about entering AP credits - if they are listed on my transcript do I need to put them into my VMCAS transcript entry, even if I didn't receive credit for them? For example, I took AP bio and got a high enough score to transfer out of 100 level bio, but not 200 level. So on my transcript, under advanced placement credits, it says:

BIOL 100 Gen Bio 3.00 T

I have several of these courses listed, where it would have transferred but I got 0.00 credits....do I need to list these, since they show up on my transcript, or can I just skip those?

Similarly, I did a study abroad program through a different university. I got my separate transcript with my grades from that university, but those same courses show up on my college transcript as transfer credits (3.00 T). Do I need to list these again, as well under my specific school I did it with??
I can't help you with the AP credits, but for the transfer credits, you're only supposed to list them from the university you took the classes at. So you'd list them from the college that you did the program through and got a transcript from, but not your home university that accepted them as transfer credits.

I can't help you with the AP credits, but for the transfer credits, you're only supposed to list them from the university you took the classes at. So you'd list them from the college that you did the program through and got a transcript from, but not your home university that accepted them as transfer credits.

Cool, thanks @SkiOtter! Hopefully someone else will have insight about the AP stuff...

@ChoopLoops Edit: I just re-read your post and realized you were asking about AP courses you *didn't* get credit for. Nevermind!

Hi all!

I had a similar issue last year. I selected what I considered most appropriate and VMCAS changed it. For example, I took an upper-division literature class in Spanish and it was simply considered "foreign language"... so whatever you choose, VMCAS may change it. I wouldn't stress. Just make sure you fulfill your prerequisites somehow as not all schools will consider the classes in terms of what you might think they are (culture, civilization, history, literature) even if that's what they were.... hope that makes sense :).

BIOL 100 Gen Bio 3.00 T

I took several AP classes that were listed on my transcript but I did not get credit for (chemistry, biology, Spanish, and calc BC). I did not include them in my transcript entry, and I had no problems.

I took several AP classes that were listed on my transcript but I did not get credit for (chemistry, biology, Spanish, and calc BC). I did not include them in my transcript entry, and I had no problems.

Cool, thanks @cohen2000 :)

Do you have to enter experiences in chronological order?

I had a similar issue last year. I selected what I considered most appropriate and VMCAS changed it. For example, I took an upper-division literature class in Spanish and it was simply considered "foreign language"... so whatever you choose, VMCAS may change it. I wouldn't stress. Just make sure you fulfill your prerequisites somehow as not all schools will consider the classes in terms of what you might think they are (culture, civilization, history, literature) even if that's what they were.... hope that makes sense :).

Does it make sense to just stick to the department it course is offered in? For example, if it was a spanish culture/literature class, but was taught in the Spanish department, it would be considered foreign language? In my case, I took several public policy classes through a marine science program so I'm trying to decide if I select public affairs or marine science...

Does it make sense to just stick to the department it course is offered in? For example, if it was a spanish culture/literature class, but was taught in the Spanish department, it would be considered foreign language? In my case, I took several public policy classes through a marine science program so I'm trying to decide if I select public affairs or marine science...
I think that it's not fully relevant as VMCAS will change it to whatever they see it fitting (even if it is completely off) and your schools will consider it whatever they want to consider it. You might call VMCAS and ask for guidance. I was a little frustrated last year when I applied as there were classes that were clearly one thing and that they switched, but it really didn't matter in the end. There was never a question about anything and I made sure all my prerequisites were satisfied. I'd go with your gut and be flexible with whatever it gets changed to ;)

Should I list unpaid internships as employment or volunteer?

Sorry for all the questions! Super appreciative of all the help <3

Should I list unpaid internships as employment or volunteer?

Sorry for all the questions! Super appreciative of all the help <3
I listed anything that was not paid like that as volunteer. To me, employment means you are paid. I had a lot of volunteer work on my application, including teaching and internships, etc, etc, etc, and I listed it all as volunteer :). In the end, it's how you present it. But you should definitely not say "compensated" if you were not paid ;).

Hi everyone! My situation is pretty unique so I doubt there is already a thread about this, but if there is I'm sorry!

I am currently applying to veterinary school (c/o 2022 hopeful) and am working on my experiences section, and I need some advice on how to enter a particular experience. I have been shadowing/ assisting at an equine veterinary practice for over two years now. Very recently, the two veterinarians that owned the practice decided to "split up". As a result, the business was dissolved and a new one was created, less one of the previous owners. I am still continuing to work with the two associate veterinarians that I have been with for several years.

My question is, do I enter this as one experience or two?

Other than legally being a new company and the loss of an owning partner, nothing has changed. I am still working with the same veterinarians, we still see the same clients, their office is still in the same location, etc. I have asked both of the vets that I work with at the company how to approach this in my application, and neither was sure what to do, because while for me nothing is changing, technically it is a new company that they are working for. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to fill up my application by adding two experiences with the same people, but I also don't want to say that I'm currently working with a company that is no longer in existence. (*FYI I am applying to UGA, and the practice is close to UGA. The doctors at the practice know many of the doctors at UGA personally, so someone on the adcom is likely to know of the practice's situation)

Any advice will help, thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My situation is pretty unique so I doubt there is already a thread about this, but if there is I'm sorry!

I am currently applying to veterinary school (c/o 2022 hopeful) and am working on my experiences section, and I need some advice on how to enter a particular experience. I have been shadowing/ assisting at an equine veterinary practice for over two years now. Very recently, the two veterinarians that owned the practice decided to "split up". As a result, the business was dissolved and a new one was created, less one of the previous owners. I am still continuing to work with the two associate veterinarians that I have been with for several years.

My question is, do I enter this as one experience or two?

Other than legally being a new company and the loss of an owning partner, nothing has changed. I am still working with the same veterinarians, we still see the same clients, their office is still in the same location, etc. I have asked both of the vets that I work with at the company how to approach this in my application, and neither was sure what to do, because while for me nothing is changing, technically it is a new company that they are working for. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to fill up my application by adding two experiences with the same people, but I also don't want to say that I'm currently working with a company that is no longer in existence. (*FYI I am applying to UGA, and the practice is close to UGA. The doctors at the practice know many of the doctors at UGA personally, so someone on the adcom is likely to know of the practice's situation)

Any advice will help, thanks!

It doesn't really matter as long as you're clear and aren't double-counting hours. You can use the new name and add a note at the bottom like "Prior to 2016, XYZ Animal Hospital was known as ABC Animal Hospital." Or you can list it as XYZ Animal Hospital (previously ABC Animal Hospital). I also can't imagine that just using the new name would be a problem. I know they're technically different companies, but with the same references, the same address, the same phone number... it just doesn't matter.

I think keeping it as one experience is best because it's nice to have a lot of hours at a certain place or with a certain reference. But if you want to split it up, that's fine, too. It would give you more characters to play around with and would make it easy to show how your responsibilities have increased, if they have. Up to you. I can't imagine that how you record it would have any effect on your chances of admission.

Hi! Did any of you list study abroad trips as experiences? I studied abroad for two summers in undergrad, and I want to list those experiences but they don't fit as Animal, Veterinary, or Volunteer and they also weren't really Extracurricular since I took classes for my minor during the trips. Any tips?