Video games

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surgeons who play video games operate more quickly and accurately, particularly in cases that require pills to be thrown into rows with colored viruses :) .

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,66086,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_7

I'm sure it transfers over to many skills of an ED physician as well. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

...Or, EP's will just admit to liking video games. You got any with ninjas? Or wisecracking animals with heavy firearms?

leviathan said:
Surgeons who play video games operate more quickly and accurately, particularly in cases that require pills to be thrown into rows with colored viruses :) .

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,66086,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_7

I'm sure it transfers over to many skills of an ED physician as well. :thumbup:

So does this mean Quinn can write off his xbox as an educational expense and Sess can count HALO2 for CME?

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what? I might just write off my video game expenses this year based on this study. :)

btw, i'm posting from my treo at work, which is beyond cool.

Sessamoid said:
btw, i'm posting from my treo at work, which is beyond cool.

but possibly approaching pathological geekdom :D

ERMudPhud said:
So does this mean Quinn can write off his xbox as an educational expense and Sess can count HALO2 for CME?

If my wife had her way, the Xbox would be on Ebay in a second. Thankfully she doesn't know how to sell on Ebay (compared to me who has 120 feedback points).

Now I can show her this article and tell her she is getting in the way of my education.

Q

Reactions: 1 user
leviathan said:
Surgeons who play video games operate more quickly and accurately, particularly in cases that require pills to be thrown into rows with colored viruses :)

I knew my advisor was insane when she said that I shouldn't put my Dr.Mario high score on my CV.

I know for a fact that my FPS skills helped me work the laproscope like a champ in the OR. Multiple positive comments to which I'd reply "its cause I play video games."

There's gotta be something positive about em right. Now if only I could wear my level 7 dwarfmaster hat into the OR's...

Just beat the crap out of Valve's new first person shooter. I'm ready to treat anyone that dares to come through the ED with a bad case of head-crabs.

I've also honed my bedside manner while rapidly dispositioning hordes of zombies.

Glad to hear about the wonderful training opportunities!

Push

QuinnNSU said:
If my wife had her way, the Xbox would be on Ebay in a second. Thankfully she doesn't know how to sell on Ebay (compared to me who has 120 feedback points).

Now I can show her this article and tell her she is getting in the way of my education.

Q

Q:

When did you get married?? Congrats man. Hope you had a merry xmas and a good new year. Can't believe the first year is half way over....

Bill. :D

bcrosspac said:
Q:

When did you get married?? Congrats man. Hope you had a merry xmas and a good new year. Can't believe the first year is half way over....

Bill. :D
Got married June 2003... I try not to advertise so I can still be a playa but yes indeedy, there is a Mrs. QuinnNSU.

I can't believe I'm halfway done with residency. Scary!

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Got married June 2003... I try not to advertise so I can still be a playa but yes indeedy, there is a Mrs. QuinnNSU.

I can't believe I'm halfway done with residency. Scary!

Q

And for awhile (back when Quinn wasn't just mascarading as a playa but as a women) his sig actually had a URL that pointed at some relatives web site where you could see pictures of Quinn and Mrs. Quinn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think video game skills most directly translate into interventional radiology skills. Wathcing the screen as you manipulate little catheters around crooks and bends, getting a 3D impression of your surroundings while looking at a 2D image, etc.

Although not done by interventionalists, but by general rads, putting in a dobhoff tube into the distal duodenum is just like a video game. If only the patient would stop complaining about me yanking and pushing the tube in their nose and if there were points awarded.

Getting into the esophagus instead of trachea 10 points, getting tube into stomach 5 points, getting into the gastric antrum 10 points, getting into the duodenal bulb 20 points, getting to the duodenojejunal junction 20 points. Game over.

On a similar note, a former residency colleague of mine (a year or two behind me, I don't remember) was also a Navy F14 pilot who was also a huge computer gaming nerd. He described piloting the F14 as pretty much like a computer combat flight simulator game with actual G-forces.

Computer gaming skill is a reasonable measure and training tool for any profession which requires hand/eye coordination.

ERMudPhud said:
And for awhile (back when Quinn wasn't just mascarading as a playa but as a women) his sig actually had a URL that pointed at some relatives web site where you could see pictures of Quinn and Mrs. Quinn.
Ah yes, that was around the time that my cover got blown and someone posted personal information on me.

I was actually interviewed by a news station not too far from here... I would post the internet article, but it has my full name in it and there are way too many crazies out there in internet land.

But interesting that a few applicants at our program have quoted that news article, because my PD is also in the article, too.

Q

Sessamoid said:
Computer gaming skill is a reasonable measure and training tool for any profession which requires hand/eye coordination.

I completely agree. I absolutely love floating pacer wires with a C-arm... its truly is like a video game, albeit not a first-person shooter, its kind of fun... you just need to learn teh "controls" when you're in a "safe" level, like the SVC... try not to figure out what the shoot and jump buttons are when you're in the tricuspid valve, otherwise its game over.

Q

^
What? No reset button?
/sarcasm

I know, its bad, but someone had to do it.

Anyone else lose interest in gaming?

I used to be a hardcore gamer throughout college and during the first year of medical school, they really made me happy, but now the idea of putting hours into gaming makes me feel unsatisfied. The single-player campaigns of games these days are so predictable, and i can't justify spending hours in multiplayer to become adept enough to stand a chance against other players.

Believe me, i wish I still loved games, and I hate the fact they don't make me happy anymore. Just wondering if there are a few guys who feel the same.

I used to be a hardcore gamer throughout college and during the first year of medical school, they really made me happy, but now the idea of putting hours into gaming makes me feel unsatisfied. The single-player campaigns of games these days are so predictable, and i can't justify spending hours in multiplayer to become adept enough to stand a chance against other players.

Believe me, i wish I still loved games, and I hate the fact they don't make me happy anymore. Just wondering if there are a few guys who feel the same.

To be honest, I almost feel like I have gained more interest. Especially after evening shifts when I get out at like 1am. There is nothing on TV, no one is awake, nothing like playing a few hours of Dark Souls 3 to decompress.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hardly play at all anymore.

I'll buy the next iteration of Tekken, and often the next iteration of NHL/MLB - but that's about it.

Once the Final Fantasy 7 remake finally drops, I may change my tune. I'm also waiting for Bloodstained (SotN spiritual sequel).

Street Fighter IV and V were complete abortions.

Completely agree. I used to have a respectable world ranking in some games and truly enjoy spending half the day playing FPS. Now, I have every game or hardware I could want and nearly no interest.

It's the same for a couple other guys in my practice too. You're not alone, it happens sometimes.

The single-player campaigns of games these days are so predictable, and i can't justify spending hours in multiplayer to become adept enough to stand a chance against other players.

There's also something to be said for how incredibly demoralizing it is to login to a matchmaking service on the rare occasion you have free time / lack of other responsibilities, join a game, only to be killed within 4 seconds and then get crouch-humped by someone squealing into their pre-pubescent high-pitched voice about your mom while Justin Bieber's latest hit plays in the background. Or is that just me?

I still play a few games, but agree with everyone else, in what I'm sure is the natural history of video game playing for most people it has been less and less of a first-line activity.

i enjoy teabagging these 12 yr olds. Overwatch is a blast. Im quite good at it too. I hadnt played FPS since CS original in 2004. My daughter was talking in the background and some player asked how old. i said 5. Their response; my sisters that old too. I didnt have the heart.

As an attending i have the best video card, monitor cpu and ssd money can buy. its so much more fun. my wife doesnt like me wasting my time though. watch out for sombra/winston

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i enjoy teabagging these 12 yr olds. Overwatch is a blast. Im quite good at it too. I hadnt played FPS since CS original in 2004. My daughter was talking in the background and some player asked how old. i said 5. Their response; my sisters that old too. I didnt have the heart.

As an attending i have the best video card, monitor cpu and ssd money can buy. its so much more fun. my wife doesnt like me wasting my time though. watch out for sombra/winston

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I absolutely hate Mei and genji. Cant even kill her with reaper or roadhog. for a tiny person, shes built like a tank...

Reactions: 1 users
I suck at FPS. Picked up a Nintendo Switch earlier this year along with Zelda and Mario Kart and been having a blast. The library of games is a little sparse right now, so hopefully this picks up.

I go in an out of hiatus over the years.

used to play alot of duke nukem 3d, hexen, and counterstrike back in the day. resurrected duke3d during med school about a decade ago with some buddies for a bit, then lost interest.

nowadays my 10 year old daughter likes FPS stuff, and we play star wars battlefront or overwatch sometimes together. weve become quite good and put a smackdown on multiplayer online on xbox. I dont have headsets hooked up and I have the commentary silenced, and the messaging is off. too many weirdos online for that stuff.

its a fun way to decompress in the night time if there are no shows I follow ready on the dvr/demand

I find it odd that i am terrifically bad at RTS games and have zero patience for them, seeing as how... that's pretty much what we do at work all day.

I love tactical, strategy style shooters if any, and playerunknown battlegrounds on steam is truly amazing so far. Great game for some 5-30 minute tactical survival combat. Check out YouTube reviews to get an idea as it's unique. Also still enjoy left 4 dead, fallout, thief series, strategy city builders like banished, StarCraft, etc.

Other than that I am feverishly trying to get a switch and play Zelda before intern year starts. My wife loves mariokart so that gets me the green light.

My gaming took a dive earlier in residency but this year alone I've played and beaten fallout 4, the last of us, uncharted 4. I've also spent a large amount of time playing titan fall 2, overwatch and less with battlefield 1. I am a big COD person but have gotten tired of there futuristic stuff. I like the arcadey game play of COD in comparison to battlefield which I feel like requires more time to play a multiplayer match and more effort. Looking forward to the upcoming COD, hopefully it brings it back to its roots in a new, fun exciting way.

Today my APM topped 65 while charting two strep throats in a row.

:)

I go through phases. I sometimes go for months without playing anything. It depends on how much free time I've got and my mood. Lately, I've been playing a little Skyrim Remastered on my PS4. I think the last gaming phase I went through was a few months ago and I ended up playing Uncharted 4, 3, 1 back to back with that special bundle deal they had on PSN. Fun series. Uncharted 4 was awesome.

I've found myself more regularly playing short bursts of World of Tanks on Xbox or a bit of World of Warships on my lap top. Not brainless, but pretty easy to pick up and put down PRN.

Don't have the time to devote to the crazy stuff with work/kids/other hobbies. Plus a lot of fun games aren't terribly appropriate to play in front of small children;)

Did get my 5yo hooked on Lego Worlds, which is fun to play together.

And every once in a while, I do have to boot up a deep strategy game and waste a ton of time (Civ, Hearts of Iron, etc..)

Anyone else still rocking the last NCAA football that came out? That's my guilty pleasure

What's APM?
actions per minute. When playing games like starcraft, players are frequently judged on their actions per minute. It isn't just that you need good strategy, at that level of play you need to have not only excellent strategy, but you also need to be able to implement it a few seconds faster than your opponent.

actions per minute. When playing games like starcraft, players are frequently judged on their actions per minute. It isn't just that you need good strategy, at that level of play you need to have not only excellent strategy, but you also need to be able to implement it a few seconds faster than your opponent.

Zerg rush?

Silly question from a relative noob (last system I owned was the PS1.) Which system would you prefer? PS4 pro vs Xbox One S. I generally like FPS games. I've looked at some comparison websites but they are so general and the specs seem similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy some top players reach APMs in the 300-400 range. Imagine clicking controlled sequences of commands 6-8 times a second?

If only the gaming companies wrote EHRs...

I just saw my 1000th chest pain patient in May. It was a grind, but I finally unlocked the "its not your heart" trophy . It was the last one I needed to get the platinum trophy for May.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else still rocking the last NCAA football that came out? That's my guilty pleasure
Ncaa 14 is the only game i've bought multiple copies of because i can only find them used and they and up getting scratched. That was until I realized you could buy it from marketplace as a downloadable game.

Ncaa 14 is the only game i've bought multiple copies of because i can only find them used and they and up getting scratched. That was until I realized you could buy it from marketplace as a downloadable game.
Somehow my original copy is still going strong

Overwatch is where it's at. I had a brief burnout around Christmas time but me and some buddies have been playing on Xbox since it came out. Overwatch between shifts definitely helped me do well on my away rotations :D

Also hoping the new COD WWII doesn't suck, granted I will be neck deep in residency when it comes out so I'm not sure how much it'll matter.

Also hoping the new COD WWII doesn't suck, granted I will be neck deep in residency when it comes out so I'm not sure how much it'll matter.

The original Modern Warfare released when I was a resident, and I don't think I ever played a multiplayer game as much as I played that one.