Veteran, post-bacc- Chances? Schools list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pag2009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Navy veteran who just completed post-bacc studies. uGPA 3.84, post-bacc GPA 3.9, 508 MCAT. Undergraduate degrees in Psychology (2009) and International Affairs (2009). In Navy I was Navigation Officer through 2 deployments to Middle East. Since discharge, I have shadowed 4 physicians for over 200 hours, trained and worked as therapy dog handler at hospitals/schools, and volunteered at cancer center. Next month I will be starting research with a former biology professor. I know my MCAT is borderline, but what do you all think of my chances? I am a Georgia resident so will be applying to MCG and Mercer, but I would like to apply broadly. What other schools should I consider? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM also has admissions experience with vets, so she might be able to help. I've heard that your vet status, will allow you to apply to more "reach" schools. Plus you have a great GPA!

List provided above is a good one. In essence, based on my experience, you'll be treated as if your MCAT is a 513. That doesn't rocket you to the top tier but it means you will be a solid applicant for the mid-tier schools.

Strike from the list any school you would not attend if it were the only school that admitted you. Get the list down to 15. Consider location (would you be comfortable in the northeast, midwest? can you do suburb? Urban? do you have a support network in any/all of these places?) and also consider that schools farther from Georgia may not see many Georgian and thus you might be a more rare bird there than in some other locations closer to Georgia.